Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2021, 08:54   #16
BHPian

Re: Scoop! 2021 Mahindra Bolero leaked; gets dual-tone exterior

When I saw the naming pattern of the new models (B2, B4, B6), I was wondering why they had stopped at B6, and wondered if there would be a B8 with more bells and whistles. They seem to have stopped the B2 model, you can't see it on the site anymore.

There is no mention of this variant in the site so far.

Mahindra was missing a good opportunity with the Bolero. Initially the Bolero was launched as Mahindra's flagship model, and enjoyed a privileged position alongside the Scorpio as part of their passenger car line-up. At the time, it used to come with dual tone paint, nice interiors (for the time), as well as their nicest engine, the XD3P. It was only once the Scorpio entered and totally stole the limelight that the Bolero started getting a lot less love from Mahindra, and the private buyers.

In response, M&M gutted the features, and gave it a tractor DI engine for better mileage, and relegated it to the rural taxi/runabout/government office trade, where it continued to generate good numbers, especially after they stopped making the Major. I remember that the Bolero began to replace the all purpose CJ500/CL500/Major/MM540/550/Commander jeeps when BS4 came around. When I was shopping for a car in 2010, I went to check out the Bolero, and saw one of the last of the BS3 Majors just getting ready to be delivered. In a few years, all the Ambys and Jeeps that used to be in our Government offices and police offices were replaced by Innovas for the Babus and Boleros for the non-Babus, with the occasional Scorpio M2Di/LX in between. When I was shopping again in 2016, their own TUV T4 had more features than the Bolero M2DiCR SLX, and was cheaper. They did rectify it afterwards with the Power+, to be fair.

But Bolero was always an aspirational SUV for scores of drivers (like me), even though it didn't offer much in terms of features. M&M withheld even the most basic "luxuries" like internally adjustable (forget powered) mirrors from it, and steadily increased the prices until it didn't make sense to private buyers anymore.

Unless you could generate revenue from a Bolero, or lived someplace where you absolutely needed Jeeps, a compact SUV or car offered better comforts at its price. A Bolero B6(O) now costs more than 11 lacs on road. For that price, you have any number of options, even automatics (Brezza VXi AT/Kiger CVT/Magnite CVT) which are more sensible if you only need to tackle the occasional dirt road. With the road infra getting better, it is getting harder to convince yourself, let alone your family, to go for the Bolero, especially at this price. I wish I could buy one, but the Ecosport has spoiled me, and is far more sensible.

But, fortunately there are people who say "**** sensible" and buy the Bolero, and are keeping the brand alive. If you search for "Bolero accessories" on youtube, you can find crazy mods, from adding touch screen android head units (tailored for the Bolero's single DIN setup), remote lock with auto power windows, PCD adaptors for fitting 17-20 inch wheels, HID projector fog lamps, you name it it's there. People are buying this supposedly non VFM, insensible vehicle and decking it up to their heart's content.

If I were running Mahindra and I saw these videos, I would say why can't we cut ourselves a nice slice of that pie? Maybe, this upcoming revision is about that. I think it is high time that M&M did justice to their bread and butter brand. Maybe, a B8 with less bland color schemes, better interiors, and more basic features is in the pipeline. The last time M&M did something good for the Bolero other than to meet norms was the VLX Storm. How about a B10 with an Mhawk120 and better brakes? Hey, you cand dream, right? Here's hoping this isn't just some fake pic of a one-off, or a mere cosmetic upgrade.

Last edited by vivekgk : 4th May 2021 at 09:01.
vivekgk is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 4th May 2021, 10:21   #17

Here in Kerala, people love the Bolero. Most police vehicles are Bolero and a whole lot of weekend offroaders use it to tame the Mountain trails. It is sad that they dont offer it in 4X4 variants after Bs6. But then I guess it doesnt matter because most offroaders buy a used 2wd Bolero and then convert it in to a 4wd monster. So even if Mahindra can't sell us one, we will make it ourselves.
Mi2un is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th May 2021, 10:44   #18
BHPian

Force motors decision to stop Gama must be forcing lots of rural buyers into buying Bolero.. Not all need the extra length of Cruiser. Of course it's been selling well even without the factor.

Wonder why Force abandon this lucrative market that doesn't ask for much?!
ggkg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th May 2021, 10:59   #19
BHPian

I must admit I just love the Bolero. It has a certain square jawed appeal. A sort of a heretic/ a mis-fit a rebel refusing to confirm to societal norms. I hope the Bolero continues. It would be suicidal for Mahindra to discontinue such an icon. Brands like Bolero are difficult to build.
JediKnight is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th May 2021, 11:49   #20
BHPian

I believe the dual-tone option is to satiate their existing customer base for whom a dual-tone option will make it as attractive as a Seltos . No offence to anyone - I myself am a Bolero fanatic for life, but probably won't buy one. Reasons below.

The Bolero is not anymore aimed at the urban private customer. That ended more than a decade ago. Period.
The Bolero is for daily driving over rugged terrains where anything else including a Bolero Neo will soon start dropping nuts, bolts, and broken parts. It is meant to be used in villages and on roads which are mostly jungle trails. Also, there should always be other motorists, people to pull you out in case you get stuck, 'coz it doesn't have 4x4 anymore either . Yes, the Bolero is also for urban businesses and govt. agencies who want an extremely abuse friendly vehicle to move up to 7 persons, or boxes, in a humane manner. In short, it is the Mahindra CJ500 for the 21st century.

Anyone else buying a Bolero is buying it for their own rare specific reasons. This car is a very niche product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8r View Post
Will this be a poor man's " Thar " ?
Both the old Thar CRDe and the new Thar have superior engines in comparison, and have 4x4. Besides, a Thar is an attention grabber unlike a Bolero.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneSpeed View Post
Hi Guys,
The dual tone color scheme is further enhancing the Bolero's looks. Only if Mahindra could equip the old workhorse with some modern day features such as steering mounted controls, maybe a touch screen system and offcourse reintroducing the 4x4 variant, I am sure there would be many more takers then.
My friend, more takers? The Bolero has consistently been in the Top 20 in monthly sales charts for years now, often beating cars like Innova and Seltos. I am sure Mahindra is not aiming any higher with this car. They have many others in their portfolio for such aspirations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi2un View Post
It is sad that they dont offer it in 4X4 variants after Bs6. But then I guess it doesnt matter because most offroaders buy a used 2wd Bolero and then convert it in to a 4wd monster. So even if Mahindra can't sell us one, we will make it ourselves.
Getting a 4x4 gearbox and transfer case mated to the newer Bolero engines is going to be a costly affair, not to mention the sheer skill needed for such conversions. You would be better off buying a used Thar or Scorpio 4x4.
Miel is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th May 2021, 20:37   #21
BHPian

Hi Everyone,

Need some advice. Please note that this will be a long post.

I have been wanting to buy the Bolero for a very long time but could never think seriously about it but I am in love with this vehicle. I am an Architect and interior designer by profession and have recently opened up my new firm ( Thanks to COVID, I had to quit my job ). Since I am based out of Greater Faridabad, the roads here are not so great due to constant construction happening.

Currently, we have three cars in the family. 2015 Fiat Punto Evo which has clocked 81k kms, A 2009 Hyundai i10, and a 2012 Tata Nano.

After shifting to Faridabad, I actually realized the importance of a good suspension setup. Thankfully Punto has helped a lot because of its ride quality. Now since I have my own firm, I have to carry samples to sites and client meetings. I have made up my mind to buy a Bolero ( Used preferred due to a budget constraint ) as it fulfills my requirements of being rugged, comparatively more spacious than the Punto and of course off-road capability with lesser maintenance, and this is the only UV/SUV which fits my budget ( new or used )

The only way I can afford a Bolero is by selling the i10 and the Punto. Do you think it's a sane idea? My main aspect of getting the Bolero is its maintenance-free nature and a tough build which will last the 10 years lifespan.

This is purely a decision from the heart. Do you feel that I am taking the wrong direction in getting the Bolero as my primary daily driver? I understand that it won't be as comfortable as the Punto but the interiors can be customized slowly as per my needs ( maybe a different seat etc ). My running would be 50% city and 50% highway ( Gurgaon guys would know GFR ).

Lastly, do you think I should go for a used one or wait for my finances to settle and get the new one? I am planning to get a used one right now as this is probably the best time I will get a good value for the Punto. But I also know how difficult it is to find a good clean used Bolero that has not been abused.

Any suggestions would be highly appreciated. My post might sound confusing because I am “confused” whether to go ahead with this decision or not.

Thanks
aditya.bhardwaj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2021, 20:59   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya.bhardwaj View Post
Hi Everyone,

Thanks
If I were in your place, I would buy a Bolero only if I could replace the Nano and the i10.

During these tough times, it's better to listen to ones brain than heart, as too much uncertainty lies ahead. Would suggest you to wait for few months to see if you still wish to buy a car.
giri1.8 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2021, 21:01   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Everyone,

I have been wanting to buy the Bolero for a very long time but could never think seriously about it but I am in love with this vehicle. I am an Architect and interior designer by profession and have recently opened up my new firm ( Thanks to COVID, I had to quit my job ). Since I am based out of Greater Faridabad, the roads here are not so great due to constant construction happening.

Currently, we have three cars in the family. 2015 Fiat Punto Evo which has clocked 81k kms, A 2009 Hyundai i10, and a 2012 Tata Nano.

After shifting to Faridabad, I actually realized the importance of a good suspension setup. Thankfully Punto has helped a lot because of its ride quality. Now since I have my own firm, I have to carry samples to sites and client meetings. I have made up my mind to buy a Bolero ( Used preferred due to a budget constraint ) as it fulfills my requirements of being rugged, comparatively more spacious than the Punto and of course off-road capability with lesser maintenance, and this is the only UV/SUV which fits my budget ( new or used )

The only way I can afford a Bolero is by selling the i10 and the Punto. Do you think it's a sane idea? My main aspect of getting the Bolero is its maintenance-free nature and a tough build which will last the 10 years lifespan.

This is purely a decision from the heart. Do you feel that I am taking the wrong direction in getting the Bolero as my primary daily driver? I understand that it won't be as comfortable as the Punto but the interiors can be customized slowly as per my needs ( maybe a different seat etc ). My running would be 50% city and 50% highway ( Gurgaon guys would know GFR ).

Lastly, do you think I should go for a used one or wait for my finances to settle and get the new one? I am planning to get a used one right now as this is probably the best time I will get a good value for the Punto. But I also know how difficult it is to find a good clean used Bolero that has not been abused.

Any suggestions would be highly appreciated. My post might sound confusing because I am “confused” whether to go ahead with this decision or not.

Thanks
You, my friend is exactly for whom the TUV300 was made. It retains the ruggedness and abuse friendly nature of the Bolero but it has an acceptable level of comfort and features. It makes for a good enough highway car too and will be more refined in general than Bolero. A Bolero would be too radical a shift imo for somebody like you who's driven cars all along. Not to mention the social image of driving a Bolero if you're concerned about that.

Do give a serious thought to this. You'd find used ones around the same budget too
sodapop is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th May 2021, 21:08   #24
BHPian

Congratulations and best wishes for the new venture!

Considering the crisis we are in, I would suggest avoid unnecessary travel even for work and on that note would like to suggest, for the time being, to use your Punto for all the hard travels as it is a solid vehicle to handle them.

Parallely, start saving every month and go for a used Bolero(new, if you don't get a good car at the right price) for your venture after some time. If you don't have need for i10 or Nano, you can plan to sell them off as they are getting old.
Old 8th May 2021, 21:46   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Everyone,

Thanks
Hi @aditya.bhardwaj

I would rather suggest you not to go for Bolero. I live in Faridabad & Greater Faridabad or Neharpar as many people call it has roads in fair condition. We used to play cricket in almost all grounds there & don't think any vehicle with sorted suspension won't do the duties. I used to manage with i20 & Aspire. The Bolero is cramped, too rudimentary (agrarian nature for your business) & the boot not big enough (rather the vehicle isn't spacious at all). If I were in your place, with other priorities with money than spending big ones on vehicle above Rs.10 lakhs, I would go with Ertiga CNG, unless come across something really compelling in used car market.

I think you need to look your vehicle as an extension or your business & something that adds up to your reputation. I believe Bolero could give rustic vibes, that something modern & up-to-date.

Please don't let your heart overpower mind, & you may end up regretting your decision after few years.
CARDEEP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2021, 22:01   #26
BHPian

Thank you so much everyone for all the suggestions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by giri1.8 View Post
If I were in your place, I would buy a Bolero only if I could replace the Nano and the i10.

During these tough times, it's better to listen to ones brain than heart, as too much uncertainty lies ahead. Would suggest you to wait for few months to see if you still wish to buy a car.
Thank you giri. The main reason of selling the punto is because of lack of spares availability and wear and tear expenses (Eg timing belt, shocks, brake discs etc). No idea if the spares will be available in the near future. For eg, I had to wait for two weeks just to get the front left wheel bearing. And I completely agree with your points. I guess I need to put in more thought towards this decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodapop View Post
You, my friend is exactly for whom the TUV300 was made. It retains the ruggedness and abuse friendly nature of the Bolero but it has an acceptable level of comfort and features. It makes for a good enough highway car too and will be more refined in general than Bolero. A Bolero would be too radical a shift imo for somebody like you who's driven cars all along. Not to mention the social image of driving a Bolero if you're concerned about that.

Do give a serious thought to this. You'd find used ones around the same budget too
Thanks sodapop. The main reason TUV was never considered because I fell in love with the bare jeep looks of the bolero. Rest I do agree with your points. Lastly, I won't be too concerned with the social image.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffHanger View Post
Congratulations and best wishes for the new venture!

Considering the crisis we are in, I would suggest avoid unnecessary travel even for work and on that note would like to suggest, for the time being, to use your Punto for all the hard travels as it is a solid vehicle to handle them.

Parallely, start saving every month and go for a used Bolero(new, if you don't get a good car at the right price) for your venture after some time. If you don't have need for i10 or Nano, you can plan to sell them off as they are getting old.
Thank you so much Cliffhanger. I am surely avoiding travelling as much as possible but in my field of work, there are times where site visits are unavoidable. But yes, I won't be travelling unnecessarily . Lastly, I will surely think about the pointers mentioned. Guess sometimes heart doesn't win over the mind, considering the circumstances as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
Hi @aditya.bhardwaj

I would rather suggest you not to go for Bolero. I live in Faridabad & Greater Faridabad or Neharpar as many people call it has roads in fair condition. We used to play cricket in almost all grounds there & don't think any vehicle with sorted suspension won't do the duties. I used to manage with i20 & Aspire. The Bolero is cramped, too rudimentary (agrarian nature for your business) & the boot not big enough (rather the vehicle isn't spacious at all). If I were in your place, with other priorities with money than spending big ones on vehicle above Rs.10 lakhs, I would go with Ertiga CNG, unless come across something really compelling in used car market.

I think you need to look your vehicle as an extension or your business & something that adds up to your reputation. I believe Bolero could give rustic vibes, that something modern & up-to-date.

Please don't let your heart overpower mind, & you may end up regretting your decision after few years.
Thanks Cardeep. Yes I also stay at Neharpar but there are times I visit outskirts of faridabad and gurgaon where there are very bad roads. I guess I will have to check the bolero in person as I have never travelled in one. I have driven the ertiga, but honestly, it never connected with me but yes it's a brilliant vehicle. Regarding the vehicle as an extension to my business, yes the same also matters. I guess I am myself in two minds considering the continuous expenses being done on the punto. Need to give this a deep thought.
aditya.bhardwaj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th July 2021, 08:45   #27
Senior - BHPian

New Mahindra Bolero Neo to launch soon, it will be sold alongside the standard Bolero.

Scoop! 2021 Mahindra Bolero leaked; gets dual-tone exterior-20210702064427_2021_mahindra_bolero_spied.jpg

The Bolero Neo will be based on the TUV300 and will get multiple updates inside out, expected to come with two body styles.

Will be positioned above the standard Bolero.

Source
Venkatesh is online now   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed