Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2021, 10:41   #1
Senior - BHPian

Scoop! 2021 Mahindra Bolero leaked; gets dual-tone exterior

Mahindra is planning to launch the updated Bolero this year. What you see here is the first completely undisguised image of the 2021 Bolero.

Scoop! 2021 Mahindra Bolero leaked; gets dual-tone exterior-1image.jpeg

The changes made to the Bolero are only aesthetic. However, one of the most noticeable updates is the dual-tone colour scheme. The front fascia and bumper is grey which neatly contrasts the red paintwork. It is expected to get new colour options as well.

The front grille and bumper have been carried over unchanged but the headlamp clusters appear to feature slightly revised internals. This particular car isn't equipped with front fog lamps. It also has black ORVMs instead of body-coloured units.

The 2021 Mahindra Bolero will be powered by the same 1.5-litre diesel engine. It puts out 75 BHP and 210 Nm and will come paired with a 5-speed manual transmission.

Thanks to BHPian acestormtrooper for sharing this image with other enthusiasts!

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 3rd May 2021 at 10:42.
TusharK is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2021, 11:07   #2
BHPian

Re: Scoop! 2021 Mahindra Bolero leaked; gets dual-tone exterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
Mahindra is planning to launch the updated Bolero this year. What you see here is the first completely undisguised image of the 2021 Bolero.
Wow! The dual tone Qualis is back! No wait!

The Bolero even though old is still a "dream car" for many who are living in places with not so great roads as I've inferred from numerous YouTube video reviews.

If the dual tone makes it look better than that crowd will be even more happier.

P.s. I want to see it in the Qualis' Green and silver dial tone.
RavSam is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2021, 11:10   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Whoa, I thought Mahindra will finally retire this workhorse especially when they re-christened the TUV 300 as the Bolero Neo. So we're going to have both getting sold side by side. But truth be told, as long as the Bolero exists, the Bolero Neo won't sell well. Or, the Bolero Neo needs a little special something as extra, in order to set it apart.
locusjag is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2021, 11:25   #4
BHPian

I think such colour options will bring back the classic appeal of owning one and open up this model for a wider customer base who didn't consider it before due to its distinct white paint with graphics. I just hope it comes with safer tech on board and more exciting colours as mentioned by BHPian RavSam.
invincii is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2021, 11:35   #5
BHPian

This is one car that never looses its charm! boxy and abuse friendly! Love the navy blue police vehicles here in Bangalore. Happened to see the BS6 version in Navy Blue and did look very handsome! Hope this new dual color will add some zing!
vinair is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2021, 11:38   #6
BHPian

The bolero looks frozen in time. While it can be a cash cow for Mahindra, needs some fresh impetus to make it future ready. Dual tone and sticker jobs are best only cosmetic. With a jeep pedigree and a THAR to hoot, Mahindra needs to be radical.
Old 3rd May 2021, 11:38   #7
BHPian

Will this be a poor man's " Thar " ? What they need to add to their line up is an all black variant with no stickers.
Old 3rd May 2021, 11:40   #8
BHPian

Hi Guys,
The dual tone color scheme is further enhancing the Bolero's looks. Only if Mahindra could equip the old workhorse with some modern day features such as steering mounted controls, maybe a touch screen system and offcourse reintroducing the 4x4 variant, I am sure there would be many more takers then.
InsaneSpeed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2021, 12:00   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
But truth be told, as long as the Bolero exists, the Bolero Neo won't sell well. Or, the Bolero Neo needs a little special something as extra, in order to set it apart.
It takes a Toyota to discontinue a raging bread butter model (Qualis) and risk introducing a replacement (Innova). I agree that while Bolero lives, Neo would always remain in the shadow.

Maybe they plan to replace the Bolero with the new Thar 5-door that they are planning, thought it can't be launched at the current price point.

Come to think of it, even Maruti couldn't let go of the Omni and 800 until very late. And even when they were phased out, they models were selling in very good numbers (like the Bolero).

Edit: Having traveled in Bolero several times, I find it cramped and attractive and crude and robust and slow and tractable. Love or hate? I love it

Last edited by ashis89 : 3rd May 2021 at 12:07.
ashis89 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2021, 13:33   #10
BHPian

I always had a fetish for the rugged bolero.
This colour scheme is only making things worse

I am sure this will improve the numbers for this workhorse in the rural pockets a lot.

However it lacks quite a lot of kit for me to consider it for city / highway / family use. The top being Safety measures. This is where the positioning of vehicles come into play by M&M.
1. Want trusted workhorse - Bolero
2. Want rugged family commuter + Little status - Scorpio
3. Want to go for Style, Premium Safety, the full load - XUV500

Note: New XUV 500 will replace the current Gen and introduce the more lux XUV700 Ala Fortuner Killer
swarnava.ch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2021, 13:58   #11
BHPian

Mahindra is extracting the last drop of juice from this!

HILTI would save on painting/wrapping should they choose to go with this vehicle in India : http://bit.ly/HILTIRED
Thilak29 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2021, 14:30   #12
BHPian

Oh oh oh! These vehicles are already out in the market I guess? Today, while driving from Bangalore to Chennai, I noticed three new TN highway patrol vehicles with a navy blue color (similar to Arizona Blue of Tata Hexa) and this dual tone bumper shade. I assumed it was something customized for TN police. Looks like new colors and dual tone shades have been launched silently.
vshankarhere is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2021, 15:51   #13
BHPian

Is it a dual cab pickup for AFRICA exports ?
Somehow it still looks great even at its 21st year of production too. Why can't Mahindra give this face and badge to TUV and stop this old one altogether ?

Had a test-drive of the BS6 version and it's quite nimble to use with soft suspension and it's refined engine, even though ergonomics were a hit or miss when compared to the modern cars.
Old 3rd May 2021, 17:16   #14
BHPian

I would be glad if they can make changes to the interiors. Nothing fancy required in the interiors, they need to fix up better seats and improve the plastic quality.

We have owned Bolero in the past (2009-2017) for 2.51 L kms. This was simply one of the best cars that we have owned.Boleros from 2000 to 2011 had better seats, they ruined the ergonomics in the 2011/2012 version putting in smaller seats. Later slowly over the years they reduced the quality by putting in low density foam in the seats.

Last year we were looking to buy Bolero for the simplicity and work-horse it was. The deal breaker were the horrible seats:
Front seats had started sinking in a 3000 km old test drive car.
Rear seats – The seat design is buffed up with low density foam, very uncomfortable to sit on. Both side corner of rear seats are lifted up, very uncomfortable.

And the plastics were not as good as it used to be earlier. Bolero used to have tough hard plastics always, but then they never used to rattle or squeak. In recent times this is not the case, there are squeaks from the dashboards, the AC vents feel like they will break in less than a year.

The positives / surprises were:
+ The 1.5 engine despite being a 3 cylinder was refined and was tuned very well. All the torque was available at the lower revs, drivability was very good. You can potter around town in 3rd gear like an automatic. I didn’t miss the 2.5 L engine.
+ Brakes were much improved from the previous generations – still there is scope of improvement.
+ AC still continues to be a chiller.

Mahindra, if you are listening, please improvise the Bolero – it still is an unmatched, unrivaled workhorse used by many due to its low maintenance costs and go anywhere capability.
I am still waiting to buy a Bolero if the quality and ergonomics are made better or at least matched to what was available before 2011. And please add retracting seat belts for the rear seat.

‘Bolero is not everyone’s cup of tea and for those who like it, nothing else works for them’ – This was told to me by one gentleman back in 2008 and I agree to this after my long term ownership.

Last edited by Herbie98 : 3rd May 2021 at 17:19.
Herbie98 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2021, 21:17   #15
BHPian

Hello locusjag,

So, the organization did want to pull the plug off the Bolero just before the TUV launch. However, it was a last minute call by Dr. Pawan Goenka to keep the Bolero still alive. Infact all the facilities for the Bolero were removed & relocated to make way for the TUV which would be specifically be made at the Chakan Factory only.

As some say within the organization, Bolero is the "Daal Roti" for Mahindra while the other models like the XUV, TUV can be the "Butter Chicken" and no one kicks the "Daal Roti" out.

Then it was decided that the Bolero would be made at the Nashik factory only and discontinued at Chakan and Haridwar. But then TUV slowed down and the demand for Bolero rose, so they got the Bolero back to Chakan and built on the same assembly line as TUV which is the current scenario. The body now is sourced from a vendor named Mungi Ltd. in the vendor park at the Chakan Plant.

Hello Herbie98,

So there is a team within the organization who works on cost cutting. So even something like low density foam or to say reducing the density of plastic parts, affects the costing structure a lot. The team projects an annual savings of a few hundred crores and the design change (cost cutting) gets approved instantly.

If you notice, the Bolero still does not have a sealant based windscreen but the old school rubber seal for the windsheild. This is so because they would have to change the front pannel for the sealant and windscreen to rest on, which means that they would have to make changes in the press shop, fixtures and dye and then agaon in the weld patters in the body shop. This rubber seal still being cheaper in the long run, hence they have stuck to this. Its all about saving even 10 paise in an Indian organization.

Somewhere down the line, they still feel that Bolero is for the rural market or the Government Sector. The have a different idea of their target audience for the Bolero. As you rightly said, "Bolero is not everyone's cup of tea" especially in the urban market.

Drive Safe and Stay Safe during these trying times.
acestormtrooper is offline   (20) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks