Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th May 2021, 15:48   #16
BHPian

Re: April 2021 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

In April, Tata Altroz dethroned Hyundai i20 in premium hatchback space !

Well, Tata Altroz MOM sales actually declined and there could be despatch or inventory build up issue with i20, even then, Altroz emerged as a strong contender ! Kudos !
Subby is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th May 2021, 17:54   #17
BHPian

Mod Note:

There are several spelling & grammatical errors in your posts. This negatively affects the forum experience for other readers.

Kindly ensure that you proof-read your posts prior to submission. Also, it would be a good idea to use a spell-checker.

Thanks for the support & understanding

Last edited by GTO : 11th May 2021 at 10:48.
Hemantteen is offline   (2) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 8th May 2021, 18:38   #18
Senior - BHPian

Japanese manufacturers recovered lost ground and increased their market share in April 2021 to 55% of total industry.

April 2021 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-20210508_183439.jpg

Link
Venkatesh is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th May 2021, 18:56   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Passenger vehicle registrations in April ’21 declined by 26% on a monthly basis.

April 2021 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-1.jpg

Link
volkman10 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th May 2021, 20:54   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for sharing, very interesting. I am always amazed how little overall market share the European brands have. Some of them operate in the higher segments of course, but still very small numbers overall.

My impression over the years on TeamBHP is that Indian second hand car market leaves a lot to be desired. Maybe that is factually incorrect, or maybe a reflection on our esteemed membership opinion. I am just wondering, because the pandemic in Europe has caused a massive surge in second hand car sales. With so many restrictions, lots of people want to be assured to have their own car, in order to be able to get around. Which also means, it is the lower end of the second hand market that is overheating. So small to medium family cars 3-6 years, 65-100K on the clock. Selling like hot cakes!

I don’t think these second hand sales are taking away anything from the new sales. But I do think a lot of people who never bothered with a car before, now wanting to make sure they have a car, just in case. Even to date, here in the Netherlands, you are not supposed to use public transportation unless you absolutely have to.

And my little mini theory is: once people have got used to owning a car they are never ever going to be without one.

I see it with our daughter and son in law. They are both professionals, holding good jobs, own their own home, one child (our granddaughter Bella YEAH). They are very environmental conscious. Travel by train, solar panels, a green roof on their shed etc. But they too, decided to buy their first little car last year, a few months prior to Bella being born. We were still in the first wave of Corona. But they felt they wanted to have a car, just in case. Now, they won’t be doing without a car anymore. They were talking of upgrading to a bigger car the other day. EV obviously, but it sort of proves my point.

Are we seeing any sort of upsurge in the second hand car market in India, similar to Western Europe due to the pandemic?

Jeroen

Last edited by Jeroen : 8th May 2021 at 20:56.
Jeroen is online now   (15) Thanks
Old 8th May 2021, 21:51   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
--
My impression over the years on TeamBHP is that Indian second hand car market leaves a lot to be desired. Maybe that is factually incorrect, or maybe a reflection on our esteemed membership opinion. ---
India's pre-owned car market had a size of over 4.4 million units across India in the fiscal year 2020. This was more than the size of the new car market for the measured time frame.

Link
volkman10 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 9th May 2021, 00:46   #22
BHPian

Quote:
With so many restrictions, lots of people want to be assured to have their own car, in order to be able to get around. Which also means, it is the lower end of the second hand market that is overheating. So small to medium family cars 3-6 years, 65-100K on the clock. Selling like hot cakes!
You have predicted the situation just right, and this happens in India as well. Before March 2020, we had to part with an aging fiesta at my native village in central Maharashtra due to lack of parts and service centres nearby. We immediately entered the second hand market with a one liner description, "A good and reliable diesel car for a family of 4 in a native village". Immediately we were given the choice Dzires, Swifts and Brezzas. Although we were lucky enough to find a good condition 2018 Nexon, I had observed a few points:
  • The Maruti True Value guy's seemed least intrested to show their cars, which often would be sold within minutes of our enquiry.
  • The sales guy would always push us towards the Swifts, Dzires and i20 diesels when we tried to enquire about C-SUV's.
  • They would magically arrange variants and colors of our choice (Brezza diesel to be specific), in a matter of 2-3 working days.
Most these cars owners stated that they were looking to upgrade to the upper category of vehicles, although most of them might be downsizing due to the financial situation, who knows. And many desperate buyers were waiting in line to have at least a small family car during an emergency situation.
SenPai_GTi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th May 2021, 01:23   #23
Senior - BHPian

While sales have indeed picked up in some sectors, the chip shortage could have affected numbers in other places. Overall things are looking good, but with the current pandemic situation, these numbers can go down in the coming months. Truly testing times ahead for the Industry.
Quote:
Are we seeing any sort of upsurge in the second hand car market in India, similar to Western Europe due to the pandemic?
My observation is in terms of the market down south, here in Kerala. The used car scene was indeed getting heated up, but not as much as the used Two wheeler scene where scooters and bikes were literally flying off the lot. Folks who used to travel by bus before the pandemic couldn't obviously afford cars, new or used and hence for them the first step was getting used two wheelers. The fourth quarter of last year was way too good for used two wheelers dealers (& New) such that some places had no stock left !
TrackDay is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th May 2021, 08:19   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Jeep Wrangler cannot be ZERO as being shown as they launched CKD and a few units were sold. Looks like an error somewhere.
This data is not that of actual cars getting sold from the showroom and coming onto the road, this is data of cars moving from the Factory into the show rooms. Its based on Dealer demand and also pushing of models down the throat of Dealers by some Manufacturers just to shore up their books
TheARUN is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2021, 08:33   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
this is data of cars moving from the Factory into the show rooms.
Yes, these are factory dispatches. Wrangler CKD was launched in March so there were definitely new dispatches from the factory to the dealers. I myself am aware of multiple cars sold in Delhi NCR.

This figure cannot be Zero for the period March, April for Wrangler!
Turbanator is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2021, 10:24   #26
BHPian

Mahindra is the only OEM showing MoM increase. Xuv 300 key contributor. I guess the chip and infotainment system shortage is brought under control and vehicles have been billed to the dealers.

TML the only OEM with ALL its models selling in four digits! Who could have imagined!!
ulhas.ahirrao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2021, 10:59   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulhas.ahirrao View Post
Mahindra is the only OEM showing MoM increase--
Look again, do you still see as only Mahindra having a M-O-M increase?

Link
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2021, 12:04   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Am sure that the April sales data has a partial impact of the lock downs - most dealers in Bombay have been shut since the middle of April. Even if cities like Bombay reopen in mid May, May dispatches are likely to be even lower.

To Jeroen’s point, the second hand market is gradually being transformed by online transaction oriented sites like Cars 24 and OLX Cash my Car. Will probably end up selling my Vento through one of them - but will wait for the lockdowns to be lifted since pricing at present is not attractive.

Very tough to read new car sales data right now - what with the impact of semi conductor shortages, lock downs et al.
Hayek is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 10th May 2021, 09:58   #29
BHPian

For the first time ever, Magnite outsold Kiger in their own battle. Nissan has maintained consistent delivery figure of Magnite so far but for some reason Kiger sales are down around 1000 units.
Old 10th May 2021, 11:23   #30
Senior - BHPian

According to the data released by the Federation of Automobile Dealers Associations (FADA), vehicle registrations fell by 30% in FY2020-21, except for tractors which grew by 16%. Total vehicle sales for the month of April 2021 declined by 28% (MoM).

Overall sales for FY2020-21 stood at 1,52,71,519 units, compared to 2,17,68,502 units in the previous fiscal. Also, 11,85,374 vehicles were sold in April 2021 compared to 17,38,802 units in the same month last year (YoY change of -31.83%).

April 2021 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-2.jpg

As India battles the second wave of the Covid-19 pandemic, vehicles sales witnessed a double-digit fall in April 2021, as most states started going under lockdowns. All categories, hence, closed the month in red with two-wheelers fall -28%, three-wheelers -43%, PVs -25%, Tractors -45% and CVs -24% respectively on a MoM basis.

April 2021 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-3.jpg

The tractor segment registered a de-growth of 44.58% in April 2021. 38,285 units were sold as opposed to 69,082 in March 2021.

April 2021 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-4.jpg

Two-wheeler sales decreased by 27.63% to 8,65,134 units from 11,95,445 units in the previous month.

April 2021 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-5.jpg

Three-wheeler sales were down by 43.11%. 21,636 units were sold compared to 38,034 units in March 2021.

April 2021 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-6.jpg

Passenger vehicle sales declined by 25.33% compared to the previous month. 2,08,883 units were sold compared to 2,79,745 units in March 2021.

April 2021 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-7.jpg

Commercial vehicle sales dropped by 23.65%. 51,436 units were sold in April 2021 compared to 67,372 units in the previous month.

April 2021 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-8.jpg

April 2021 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-9.jpg

April 2021 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-10.jpg

April 2021 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-11.jpg

Team-BHP's detailed analysis of the April 2021 sales figures.
TusharK is online now   (8) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks