Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2021, 12:56   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 to return as new Creta rival in early 2024

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
that the original international spec Tivoli to begin with! They had shortened it, chopped off the boot to get it under 4m, put in appropriately sized engines and had christened it the 300.

Basically, we will get a thoroughly refreshed 300 with a proper boot and perhaps a new cabin, with a new petrol engine. Wonder why it will take them 3 years to implement this? Perhaps Pratap Bose needs this much time to work his magic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
An "existing" product (Tivoli) was chopped off and it resulted in the XUV300.
Hence, it should be much quicker to launch the "existing" product (aka 4.2m Tivoli).
With Ssangyong gone, Tivoli will be off the books. They would have to start with a fresh development.

Or have to do a Thar (Wrangler) on the Tivoli (500) to launch it!

All said and done, I hope they differentiate the design of the current 300 and the upcoming 500 rather than just elongate the current car (though I doubt they can pull that off in 3 years!)
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2021, 13:33   #17
Senior - BHPian

Seems like some twisted plot of a movie.

Perhaps they want to leverage the brand value of XUV 500 and at the same time give an upgrade option to all those XUV500 owners out there.

Solution? Reposition next generation model as XUV700 to appear upgradeworthy. And bring a real creta rival and make use of XUV500.
After all XUV potential buyers eventually switched to creta and later seltos isn't it.

I also agree that they totally messed up by chopping the boot of Tivoli instead of launching it as is alongside creta/seltos.

Now they can't enlarge xuv300 and call it xuv500 and require something substantial. Could be a good management case study.
rajshenoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2021, 13:40   #18
BHPian

As a current gen XUV owner, I am disappointed with this news. XUV5OO has established itself as the affordable butch SUV for the Indian streets. The variants were also well priced for what they offered. Making it a Creta competitor just takes away the uniqueness it had as a product (a large flexible 7 seater with a proper 2L diesel engine and a proper TC auto) and makes it just another product in the segment. XUV5OO was also Mahindra's first global SUV and it feels sacrilegious to downgrade the product like this. I guess with the new Scorpio also climbing up the price ladder and the upcoming XUV7OO, Mahindra doesn't have enough price gap to position its products properly. Sigh!
GKR9900 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2021, 13:46   #19
MCR
BHPian

Mahindra's Strategy seems to focus on what Competitors are doing rather than based on their strengths.
Hyundai came up with Alcazar and these guys panicked and renamed the XUV5OO as the XUV7OO so that they can brag that they are launching a 7-seater car at a higher segment. The feature set of XUV7OO would not be too drastically different as compared to that of the Alcazar and hence they want to play the perception game.

Now it will be comical to see how they manage the launch of next gen Scorpio considering they don't want it to die competing with Alcazar. Hope they don't name it "XUV6OO"
Marazzo getting discontinued shows how silly their strategy has been.
Old 12th May 2021, 16:37   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The 2nd-gen Mahindra XUV500, coming in Q3-2021

Thought the XUV500 would a 5 seater version of the XUV700. Feels weird that the XUV500 brand will be a Creta rival and will be equipped with a 1.5l diesel engine. Guess Mahindra is hell bent on odd numbers for the XUV range or is saving the even numbers for something else. *cough* BMW...

Makes sense from a business POV. XUV300 for sub 4m. XUV500 for 4.3m. XUV700 for 4.6m.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote View Post
Why couldn't they simply use the Tivoli Air as the XUV 300 and launch it as the Creta competition? In what world does a sub-4 metre make more money than the 4.2/4.3 metre segment?
Can't blame Mahindra. The 1st gen XUV500 kinda overlapped segments and stretched across price points. Launching the far modern Tivoli would have lead to cannibalising of XUV500 sales. Add to that, except for the sorry KUV100, Mahindra didn't have any option for the urban sub 4m market. That would have been left wide open.
Old 12th May 2021, 20:55   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo View Post
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...developed.html (Tata Blackbird: Creta-rivaling SUV being developed)

The XUV 300 sells about 3 thousand-ish units every month, which is good enough.
Last month it did 4400.
I thought the blackbird project hasn't really moved anywhere. To my knowledge, the only new vehicle from Tata Motors for the next 2 years is the HBX.

My point is, the 300 hasn't set the charts on fire the way it should have, considering the bells and whistles / safety features it has, owing to various factors including the initial pricing. Sure, 3000 odd units isn't bad, but had they brought it in at 4.2 to 4.5 metres, I feel they could have sold more and made more money while at it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post

Can't blame Mahindra. The 1st gen XUV500 kinda overlapped segments and stretched across price points. Launching the far modern Tivoli would have lead to cannibalising of XUV500 sales. Add to that, except for the sorry KUV100, Mahindra didn't have any option for the urban sub 4m market. That would have been left wide open.
I get what you're saying - they definitely had a gap in that segment. My point is it could have been ignored. The XUV 300 was launched in Feb of 2019, just over 2 years ago, and barely 6 months before Kia sold the Seltos. The Creta has been on sale since 2015. The segment was well defined.

They chose to spend money to compete in a segment that has lower margins and higher competition with a product that was literally from the segment above. With respect to cannibalization, yes the 500 would have been affected but they were testing the 700 way back in September 2019. They could have planned an upgrade to the 500 and introduce the newer versions earlier. Covid notwithstanding ofcourse.
Old 12th May 2021, 21:42   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote View Post

I get what you're saying - they definitely had a gap in that segment. My point is it could have been ignored. The XUV 300 was launched in Feb of 2019, just over 2 years ago, and barely 6 months before Kia sold the Seltos. The Creta has been on sale since 2015. The segment was well defined.

They chose to spend money to compete in a segment that has lower margins and higher competition with a product that was literally from the segment above. With respect to cannibalization, yes the 500 would have been affected but they were testing the 700 way back in September 2019. They could have planned an upgrade to the 500 and introduce the newer versions earlier. Covid notwithstanding ofcourse.
Agree, but when the Creta was launched in 2015, segments were still hazy. It directly rivalled the Duster but competed against anything from the Ecosport to the XUV500 or even the Scorpio. Segments only became clear around 2019.

In the grand scheme of things, Mahindra is going to have a sub 4m, 4.3m and 4.6m XUV line-up.

Then again, we are talking strategies of a company that is pulling the plug off the Marazzo even before it's third year.
DicKy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2022, 13:57   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Mahindra releases a teaser of a SUV for 2023 - Creta rival?

Mahindra XUV500 to return as new Creta rival in early 2024-capture.jpg

Quote:
The teaser shows the flared wheel arches, bold shoulder line and a hunchback-type boot of the new SUV.

The new SUV could be the new generation XUV500, which was confirmed to return in a new avatar.

Debut is expected in the second half of 2023.

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 22nd December 2022 at 13:58.
volkman10 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2022, 15:04   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Mahindra releases a teaser of a SUV for 2023 - Creta rival?
Is it another one of their BEV concepts?

Asking because the rear wheel arch looks too much flamboyant, unless they are intentionally camouflaging the shape.
DicKy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2022, 15:08   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Hope not, the expectations about a Creta rival wound be that of a car that looks like an SUV - this is not something M&M can do easily, I have not seen a single vehicle that can adequately taken on Creta / Seltos - Yet.

The alternative is to provide a vehicle with adventure capability while being in the same footprint as Creta. The buyer may over-look some of its deficiencies, in other words Mahindra's version of Jeep Compass - which in itself has no direct competitors.
Kosfactor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2022, 17:51   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Mystery Mahindra SUV, what it could be?

Mahindra XUV500 to return as new Creta rival in early 2024-capture.jpg

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 22nd December 2022 at 17:52.
volkman10 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2022, 20:54   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
With Ssangyong gone, Tivoli will be off the books. They would have to start with a fresh development.

Or have to do a Thar (Wrangler) on the Tivoli (500) to launch it!

All said and done, I hope they differentiate the design of the current 300 and the upcoming 500 rather than just elongate the current car (though I doubt they can pull that off in 3 years!)
With Ssangyong under their belt for so long, they will have rights of the current platforms that they can use in their line up including the engines. The new buyer will have restrictions in selling the platform for the next 3 years to third parties, of course that depends upon the agreement. TATA had a similar problems with the Jaguar and Land Rover platforms just after buying the company from FORD.
So using KORANDO and TIVOLI platforms should not be an issue for Mahindra.

They simply could have taken the KORANDO platform and made the XUV500.

Last edited by DRPSREDDY : 22nd December 2022 at 21:19.
DRPSREDDY is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2022, 21:44   #28
Senior - BHPian

If its indeed the 300 with a proper boot, I am not complaining !

The 300 was nearly a perfect car with equally good Diesel and Petrol engines. The practicality aspect was missing, and the proper boot will fill that void.

They also need to work on the interiors, specially the front fascia. It looks terribly dated.
DCEite is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2022, 12:19   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
If its indeed the 300 with a proper boot, I am not complaining !

The 300 was nearly a perfect car with equally good Diesel and Petrol engines. The practicality aspect was missing, and the proper boot will fill that void.

They also need to work on the interiors, specially the front fascia. It looks terribly dated.
XUV300 is based on the TIVOLI. Despite full size length of the TIVOLI, it looks shorter and smaller than CRETA.

KORANDO is a larger SUV that should be the size tad larger than HARRIER at 4.45 meters. I don't think, after having the XUV700 platform, will it be feasible to get another similar platform for XUV 500. Rather they modify TIVOLI platform and bring out a new SUV.

Name:  SsangYong_Korando_GIMS_2019_Le_GrandSaconnex_GIMS1297.jpg
Views: 1002
Size:  18.7 KB
DRPSREDDY is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2022, 22:53   #30
BHPian

Will/Should it be Monocoque or BOF?

A TIVOLI XL with a new top hat?

An all new monocoque with cross coupe styling for differentiation in the segment?

My personal opinion is MnM could use a shortened Marazzo FWD BOF platform with all new top hat and 1.5 liter Petrol and Diesel engines. They could use the MTT technology from the Bolero Neo too.

Most Viewed