Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2021, 08:18   #1
Senior - BHPian

Rumour: Mahindra Marazzo & KUV100 to be discontinued

The Mahindra Marazzo MPV will be phased out, as will the KUV100 NXT micro-SUV.

This is part of a bigger move by Mahindra to discard its slow-performing models and focus on popular SUV segments.

Rumour: Mahindra Marazzo & KUV100 to be discontinued-smartselect_20210512082505_chrome.jpg

Rumour: Mahindra Marazzo & KUV100 to be discontinued-20210511052425_mahindra_marazzo_front_static_1200.jpg

Mahindra Marazzo will not receive any more major updates, and this includes the long-planned introduction of a powerful 1.5-litre turbo-petrol engine from the brand’s new mStallion range that was showcased at Auto Expo 2020.

KUV100 to live on as low-voltage eKUV urban EV

Quote:
Mahindra had registered a trademark for the name XUV100, but company insiders have confirmed that it was done merely to secure the name and the company has no plans to revisit this sub-compact micro-SUV segment again any time soon.
Source

Last edited by Venkatesh : 12th May 2021 at 08:26.
Venkatesh is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 12th May 2021, 08:28   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Mahindra Marazzo & KUV100 to be discontinued

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
The Mahindra Marazzo MPV will be phased out, as will the KUV100 NXT micro-SUV.

This is part of a bigger move by Mahindra to discard its slow-performing models and focus on popular SUV segments.

Mahindra Marazzo will not receive any more major updates, and this includes the long-planned introduction of a powerful 1.5-litre turbo-petrol engine from the brand’s new mStallion range that was showcased at Auto Expo 2020.
The only thing the Marazzo needed was an automatic, even if it would have meant an AMT and the introduction of the turbo-petrol. It was an accomplished car let down by Mahindra themself .

For the KUV100, the sooner Mahindra discontinues it the better!

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 12th May 2021 at 08:31.
CEF_Beasts is offline   (33) Thanks
Old 12th May 2021, 08:36   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
The only thing the Marazzo needed was an automatic.
I think, the front overhang [approach angle] was low too for customers who intended to use it on semi-rural places & for taxi [commercial] guys. Once loaded, the GC dipped further.

Had this been improved, as per my understanding, sales would have improved, not dramatically maybe, but a spike, yes.
Sheel is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 12th May 2021, 08:36   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Mahindra could well be a character in a Stephen King novel. You know the kind of sick, twisted characters King creates in his stories? Mahindra could well be a parent in such a story who chops off their kids fingers for the heck of it (analogies: plonk a 1.5 litre engine in the Marazzo, place a AMT in the XUV 300, launch a TUV 300 with underpowered engines and then launch a TUV 300 Plus without any marketing etc.) - and then butchers and incinerates their own kids in their basement. Sorry for the torrid description - if you wanted to read a Stephen King novel, you would first beef up your mindset whereas I practically jumped you with this. But this had to be said. I see a horrible trend in their actions. Sigh!
locusjag is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 12th May 2021, 08:37   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
It was an accomplished car let down by Mahindra themself .
Marazzo never really connected with private buyers - the way XL6 / Eritga / Innova does!

Lack of petrol and automatic options at launch - could very well be the reason for this disconnect.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 12th May 2021, 08:38   #6
srh
BHPian

Unlikely that this would be true for the Marazzo. It was an all new platform developed with considerable effort and cost. Mahindra never had any qualms to produce even single digit volumes of any model - doing it for BOF vehicles isn't that difficult. In fact, they do customization for institutional sales (like police) for orders as small as 300 units.
srh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th May 2021, 08:59   #7
Senior - BHPian

That is very unlike Mahindra to discontinue products in a couple of years. Marazzo has been in sale for only 3 years. They ussually stay by their products and keep updating them even if it is a failure.

I think even the name and the design was a reason behind its failure. I wouldn't want to drive around something that is called Marazzo and has a tooth grill. They go to stop this obsession with animals. It worked once with XUV500, but that was more because there was nothing with that value proposition in the market then.
padmrajravi is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 12th May 2021, 10:07   #8
BHPian

MSIL killed the individual buyers who may go for Marazzo with a higher variant of Ertiga namely the XL6 and cabbies who would have been potential buyers for Marazzo would go for the base variant of Innova (G) which is stripped down version of GX but with RWD 2.4 Diesel and better laden GC than Marazzo the Crysta is anyday better value for a couple of more lakhs even if Marazzo is wider than the Innova with albeit a better 3rd row.

Note cabbies do not need Petrol and Automatic to sway in favor of a model, they need peace of mind with overloading capability, bad roads drivability with higher laden GC and reliability. I found several Marazzo on highways with overloading where the after market side step shows war and tear owing to scraping and also the step seem to almost touching the road.

Other products like Safari and Hector Plus, also ate the pie that M&M thought would be reserved for Marazzo.

The Marazzo philosophy failed big time for M&M it seems.
haisaikat is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 12th May 2021, 10:21   #9
BHPian

Mahindra has always minted money from Bolero and Scorpio or they have had success with SUV. Maybe that is what they are going to shift their focus to.
Marazzo was not that bad a vehicle but it is like an identity crisis MUV. Can't compete with Maruti stable and Innova buyer may not look into it. KUV 100 is one ugly car.

Its better to have few vehicles then like a huge list, you cannot please everyone.
swunkjyn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th May 2021, 10:35   #10
Senior - BHPian

Sadly the Marazzo met the same fate as Renault Lodgy & it seems like this is a very difficult segment to crack. Although the Model Name 'Marazzo' was not a very good one to start with, the design language seemed pretty okay. Wonder how much loss Mahindra must have incurred by making an all new model and discontinuing it so soon.

I don't think anyone is going to miss the KUV 100 though !
TrackDay is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th May 2021, 10:36   #11
BHPian

I am just wondering on the rationale of introducing KUV100 in EV next year when they are not able to sell the same model this year itself. It just looks ugly and if the car could not find buyers today, I have my doubts whether it will find buyers at all later. Also the EV range will come back to buy M&M because 147 is just too less for Private as well as Commercial segments.
swarnava.ch is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th May 2021, 10:38   #12
BHPian

It is becoming riskier for Indians to buy a car that's not a top seller. Marazzo was a great platform aannd is light years ahead of the Scorpio. It scored well in the crash tests also.
I hope customers who just bought the car get good support and service for at least a decade. I know that companies are obligated to do so, but rarely is it seen in practice.
Nissan1180 is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 12th May 2021, 10:49   #13
BHPian

I am planning for a MPV next year. The Innova is out of budget. This left us with 2 options - Marazzo and the Ertiga twins. We have almost finalised on the Marazzo for the solid build and the space on offer. I guess we have to delay our purchase and wait for the Koreans to launch their rumoured 6/7 seater. My father and I love the TUV, but given the Spartan interiors and the thin second row bench, my mother and my wife vetoed the decision.

Marazzo is a good car let down by Mahindra’s neither here nor there placement. Even the showroom pushed us to consider a base XUV500 instead of M6+. Well, regarding the engine, the car would’ve benefitted with a bigger engine like the 2.2 mill from Scorpio/TUV 300 plus. For our usual highway speeds, the 1.5 engine felt okay though. Sure, the marazzo has its own share of issues, but as a whole it still is a capable package. Regarding the KUV though, it should’ve been axed eons ago.

If someone from Mahindra is reading this, here is my feedback - you have capable cars let down by horrible product planning. There are capable engines in your arsenal, but are not being used properly. Take a look at the Korean twins. They basically have a 1.5 U2 CRDI unit and every car starting from i20 to Creta uses more or less the same engine in different tunes.
furyrider is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 12th May 2021, 11:02   #14
BHPian

This is something I fail to understand not only with Mahindra but also with Bajaj in the two wheeler segment.

Why even spend so much on R&D when you have no future road map for a product?

Beats me to think Mahindra gambled on the second generation Thar which in its first generation was anything but a mass success, but left the Marazzo to fend for itself right from the beginning in a highly potential people mover segment!

I have personally driven the Marazzo and apart from the long travel clutch, it was a neat effort and deserved a much better place in the Mahindra portfolio.

On the KUV, again, it was disproportionate from the beginning and wonder why only to the eyes of Mahindra engineers it did not seem so. Again, things could have been sorted out if Mahindra was to take care of only the design part of the KUV and launched a gen 2 with the same engine/space combo. Alas, Mahindra being Mahindra, has now decided to go for a portfolio chop chop that makes no sense, at least on the resting of the Marazzo!

Last edited by vinair : 12th May 2021 at 11:04.
vinair is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th May 2021, 11:09   #15
Senior - BHPian

It seemed Mahindra designed cars like Marazzo (also the Xylo) 'inside out' - practical and spacious insides (class leading third rows!) but ended up looking gawky from outside. For a model range introduced only in 2018, an extremely short lifecycle

Cars like KUV which are simply gawky without offering anything unique are best brought down

Last edited by GeeTee TSI : 12th May 2021 at 11:33.
GeeTee TSI is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks