Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2021, 20:31   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Mahindra Thar 2WD, now launched at Rs. 9.99 lakhs

There is also work going on to launch a 1.5 litre, 3 cylinder engine Thar 'lite' for light use in the city and such. This project has been envisaged by their marketing team and the end product will be of the same dimensions as the new Thar that we know of; but it'll be 100 kgs lighter, with no 4WD option. Manual and auto transmission options will still be available. It'll come with smaller wheels to go with the reduced torque and to make way for better fuel efficiency. And it'll be priced starting Rs.6.7 lacs. There were enough people who actually demanded a 'lite' version. (Note: I'm referring to it as the 'lite' version on my own; it's not what Mahindra is going to call it.)

Mod Note: Our Mahindra Thar RWD Review has been taken live at this link. Please continue the discussion over on the new thread. Thanks!

Last edited by Aditya : 4th February 2023 at 11:16. Reason: Link to review added
locusjag is offline   (40) Thanks
Old 13th May 2021, 21:32   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Mahindra confirms XUV700; to be positioned above XUV500

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post

There is also work going on to launch a 1.5 litre, 3 cylinder engine Thar 'lite' for light use in the city and such. the same dimensions as the new Thar that we know of; but it'll be 100 kgs lighter, with no 4wd option It'll come with smaller wheels to go with the reduced torque and to make way for better fuel efficiency. And it'll be priced starting Rs.6.7 lacs. There were enough people who actually demanded a 'lite' version.

The TUV 300/Bolero Neo is very much alive, I am told. Its engine is "being refined" and its results are not yet in. I'm not sure if its a new engine, or if the aforementioned refinement effort has to do with BS VI.
Looks like the market potential was too good to be ignored by Mahindra. It was speculated before the launch that Mahindra would use the small car norms and plonk in the 1.5l , but thankfully they gave bigger engines and standard 4WD hardware to build the brand.

City usage or whatever, the Thar lite will be a hit with fleet government sales. And unashamedly appeals to me too. Not for the image, but for a BoF, RWD utility vehicle with strong body panels and width notwithstanding, manageable dimensions too.

But that brings me to two concerns:

1. If they manage to have different styling, cool. But the same Thar? Don't know how a 17 lakh Thar owner would take to a 7 lakh Thar lite. Agreed the previous gen Thar catered to two markets and also Isuzu is successfully managing CV segment and lifestyle segment with essentially the same model.

2. The engine. Sure it is the 3 pot 1.5l? I can't just understand why Mahindra couldn't use the 4 cylinder 1.5l engine of the Marazzo/XUV300 instead?

I really hope they are not flogging that stupid 3 pot engine to the BS6 era. The company turned their 2.2l engine sideways in the XUV500. Is it hard for them to put the 1.5l 4pot engine longitudinally in the Bolero, Bolero Neo, Thar lite? Or isn't their modern engine durable enough for the tough life that these models will endure?

Last edited by DicKy : 13th May 2021 at 21:35.
DicKy is online now   (24) Thanks
Old 18th May 2021, 06:05   #3
Team-BHP Support

re: Scoop! New base variant of the Mahindra Thar in the works, with 1.5L engine

Scoop! New base variant of the Mahindra Thar in the - Posts moved to a new thread.
Aditya is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 18th May 2021, 07:47   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Scoop! New base variant of the Mahindra Thar in the works, with 1.5L engine

Quote:
There is also work going on to launch a 1.5 litre, 3 cylinder engine Thar 'lite' for light use in the city and such.
I'll buy this rumour as there is definitely space for a cheaper Thar. And it's not the first time - even the 1st-gen Thar had a cheaper, more basic DI version with a less powerful engine - ownership thread. IMO, this base variant of the 2nd-gen Thar will be similar. Basic, stripped of amenities, a rugged workhorse and nowhere as butch / good looking as the current versions.

Quote:
And it'll be priced starting Rs.6.7 lacs
No chance of this happening. The current one starts at 12-lakhs ex-showroom. The new base variant will be 2 - 3 lakhs cheaper, tops. Like 9.xx ex-showroom.
GTO is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 18th May 2021, 08:32   #5
BHPian

Thar lite seems like to counter Jimney, to start at a lower price point.

The 3 pot from TUV3OO will not be enough for RWD lite.
Vinod_nair is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th May 2021, 08:59   #6
BHPian

Wonderful news! Any idea regarding the pricing ? I guess it will be 1-1.5 lakhs cheaper than the 2.0 variant. Mahindra please consider the 1.5D from XUV300 with AT in both 3D and 5D body styles.

Mahindra aiming for very high volume with these new launches and variants it seems. Tough days ahead for Maruti guys too.

Last edited by TorqueIndia : 18th May 2021 at 09:01.
TorqueIndia is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 18th May 2021, 09:01   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I'll buy this rumour as there is definitely space for a cheaper Thar. And it's not the first time - even the 1st-gen Thar had a cheaper, more basic DI version with a less powerful engine - ownership thread. IMO, this base variant of the 2nd-gen Thar will be similar. Basic, stripped of amenities, a rugged workhorse and nowhere as butch / good looking as the current versions.
My source is good for the money GTO; he had accurately given a heads-up earlier about the TUV 300's re-birth as the Bolero Neo and much more about the XUV 500/700 which I had shared here on the forum before it hit the news anywhere.

One intriguing thing I heard from him - urban women as a user-persona is a use case that Mahindra's marketing folks apparently had in mind when developing this product extension. I wondered what they can do to that end; paint it pink, add eye-lashes to the headlights and call it Thar Herbie? I couldn't get anymore sexist could I? But seriously - they might make the entry/exit easier with a step-board (while the smaller diameter wheels will make entry/exit easier too), make the bonnet more visible (if at all that was a shortcoming) and perhaps emphasize the automatic versions more.

Quote:
No chance of this happening. The current one starts at 12-lakhs ex-showroom. The new base variant will be 2 - 3 lakhs cheaper, tops. Like 9.xx ex-showroom.
I would defer to you on the price point. My guy was giving out some reasons that flew over the top of my head, as to why this Thar can be so much cheaper. The landed cost savings are to be had from so much more than the lack of 4x4, transfer case etc. it seems. But then again, I can't even recount the missing components that he mentioned. So for all I know, the 6.7 ex showroom price is not justifiable.
locusjag is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 18th May 2021, 09:12   #8
BANNED

Quote:
I know, the 6.7 ex showroom price is not justifiable.
Sub 4m length, and under 1.5l diesel engine == Tax Savings!

What TUV 3OO teaches us?
Starting price of 8.59 lac (Inclusive of all taxes) means. If we get the same engine and transmission, in a vehicle with lesser use of steel to build, lesser number of seats, lesser use of plastic, lesser use of all other components - I mean, just make it bare bones as a city cruiser for the people who want the style of Thar, but don't want to give out that much money. They can remove AC too, like the first gen Thar, to bring down the price of base trim.

6.7 lac still sounds tough, but 7.5-7.75 lac seems to be reasonable for a variant equipped with AC too. Especially if we look at the price the Bolero is retailing at. Lower manufacturing cost means lower taxes too, and I believe that a Thar can be built for 70k lesser than what it takes for a Bolero and 1 lac lesser than what it takes for a TUV 3OO.

The 1.5 looks mediocre only on paper, but the engine has one distinct quality, it starts pulling right from 1250 rpm itself, especially in the TUV 3OO tune, if they move it directly from TUV to Thar, it can make a lot of sense, especially for city and short highway runs.

Last edited by VKumar : 18th May 2021 at 09:16.
VKumar is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 18th May 2021, 09:23   #9
BHPian

Quote:
There is also work going on to launch a 1.5 litre, 3 cylinder engine Thar 'lite' for light use in the city and such. This project has been envisaged by their marketing team and the end product will be of the same dimensions as the new Thar that we know of; but it'll be 100 kgs lighter, with no 4WD option. Manual and auto transmission options will still be available. It'll come with smaller wheels to go with the reduced torque and to make way for better fuel efficiency. And it'll be priced starting Rs.6.7 lacs. There were enough people who actually demanded a 'lite' version. (Note: I'm referring to it as the 'lite' version on my own; it's not what Mahindra is going to call it.)
I agree that this is very possible. There are various government departments that miss the old CJ/MM/Invader series Jeeps for their simplicity and maneuvrability in tight quarters, as well as the flexibility offered by the folding side facing rear seats. Major and Thar DI Taxi owners in rural areas are facing scrapping policies gutting their livelihood. After all, the primary function of Jeeps was as Utility vehicles and not as a lifestyle vehicle, which is what the new Thar has become.

All that remains to be seen is whether the old Thar DI frame will be refitted with the mHawk D75 and fitted with Jugaad Airbag and pedestrian/crash safety bits, or a scaled down Thar will be made. Hopefully the latter.
vivekgk is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th May 2021, 10:16   #10
BHPian

I do not understand why Mahindra would not consider the 1.5 L 4 cylinder diesel engine instead?

I somehow feel the 3 cylinder engine will make the Thar feel underpowered. Mostly because the Thar is a pretty heavy vehicle. Apart from the length, all other dimensions are pretty big, almost like a mini Scorpio.
Using the 1.5 L 4 cylinder would yield better mileage and not let the car suffer from poor performance at the same time.
I think Mahindra should definitely plonk the 1.5 L 4 cylinder engine instead.
Big Smoke is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th May 2021, 10:56   #11
BHPian

The Mahindra 1.5 - 4 cylinder engine has very weak bottom end torque, same observations in both Marazzo and XUV300. In Marazzo starting on inclines this is felt a lot, due to the kerb weight of ~1600 kg + passengers.

On the other hand the 3 cylinder 1.5 used in Bolero Power Plus and TUV300 has good bottom end torque. This starts pulling strongly around 1200-1300 rpm. And this engine surprised me with its refinement, its silent and refined for a 3 cylinder. They have used a dual mass flywheel in this engine.

I am used to Bolero 2.5 DI engine and always used to think that the Bolero power plus with 1.5 3 cylinder would be bad. But later when i drove it few times, I didn't miss the 2.5 engine, the 1.5 engine pulls well and is faster and refined as well.

So for a Thar to move its bulk, the 1.5 3 cylinder will be better suited without compromising on driveability.
Herbie98 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 18th May 2021, 12:53   #12
BHPian

If Mahindra introduces this, they will cannibalize a lot of TUV300/ XUV300 sales. If that car starts from 9L ex-showroom, the price matches both of these. Even if it costs 10L, a good portion of buyers will be ready to extend their budgets.

If I were in the market for a small SUV, I would have preferred Thar as it has a modern and accommodating chassis and comes with a 4-star GNCAP rating (Next to XUV300).

However, I believe this market stunt will also cheapen the Thar brand. Instead of depicting only hardcore off-roaders, THAR will now also refer to pseudo SUVs with beefed-up wheel arches unable to deliver much action on the bad roads.

If I were the decision-maker, I would have avoided it at all costs.
RoadAtlas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2021, 12:56   #13
BANNED

Quote:
It'll come with smaller wheels to go with the reduced torque and to make way for better fuel efficiency. And it'll be priced starting Rs.6.7 lacs. There were enough people who actually demanded a 'lite' version.

Smaller means less wide, or less tall as well?
Hope its the former, as the latter will reduce ride height by quite a bit.
Old 18th May 2021, 12:56   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for sharing! This would be an ideal second car for people who already own a conventional car. The current Thar is kinda impractical for a single car garage, and the price is high for most people to consider it as a secondary car. Also, much like the Wrangler, the Thar had gotten a bit too posh, a bit too tech laden for the Jeepers out there who want to take it mud plugging or for utilitarian applications by govt. departments. I also see a lot of people buying the cut price model and then modifying it with rims, sound systems, bull bars and what not.

Any idea about launch timelines? Is there any possibility of this car hitting the roads by early 2022? Also, would this one have AC?
Sanidhya mukund is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th May 2021, 13:14   #15
Senior - BHPian

Narrow tires on steelies, side facing seats (hopefully?), flopping soft top. A true Mahindra Jeep is being reborn if true. Exciting times ahead!
amol4184 is offline   (8) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks