Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2007, 18:45   #1
Senior - BHPian

Fiat Eyes 1,00,000 annual sales in India

Only recently we had read a press report which said (quoting Tata officials) that Tata and Fiat were aiming to sell 3000 FIAT cars in India in 2007-08, the sales in 2006-07 having been around 1500 units.

Given this background, isn't it interesting to know that FIAT are now aiming to sell 1 lakh cars annually in India, besides using India as the export hub for their right wheel drive models. Out of 1 lakh, Linea sales target is 50000-60000 and the rest is expected to be contributed by the Grand Punto.

Now that's very interesting indeed.

Check out this link:

DNA - Money - On a comeback trail: Fiat eyes one lakh sales in India; to launch Linea next year - Daily News & Analysis

Last edited by directinjection : 3rd May 2007 at 18:57.
Old 3rd May 2007, 19:07   #2
Team-BHP Support

Isn't this the wrong section, this should be in the official joke thread.
Old 3rd May 2007, 19:11   #3
Senior - BHPian

This is what I call optimism at its height!

Lucaji zara zameen pe aayiye.

With Punto and Linea, Fiat India can expect some good sales numbers, but 1 lac pa is a tall order. It is better to go with some realistic target in mind. It is like Indian cricket team aiming to score 350 runs in every ODI and failing to score even 200....
Old 3rd May 2007, 19:20   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by directinjection View Post
Out of 1 lakh, Linea sales target is 50000-60000 and the rest is expected to be contributed by the Grand Punto.

Now that's very interesting indeed.
Linea selling 5-6k pieces a month is going to be a very TALL order. Even the market leaders in that segment don't sell that much.

Selling that much is going to be the equivalent of climbing Mt. Everest for Fiat. Not to mention they will need bucket loads of money. To be fair I won't bet on Fiat achieving this any time soon or atleast in the next 5 years at any cost.
Old 3rd May 2007, 19:29   #5
Team-BHP Support

Did they mention including exports somewhere in the article?
Old 3rd May 2007, 20:03   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

This is going to be a very interesting thread. And to contribute, I say there's nothing wrong with aiming for the stars.

Stop being sceptical.

We love Fiat. God bless Fiat. Forza Fiat!! L'Italiano est mort, vive L'italiano.
Old 3rd May 2007, 20:09   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Isn't this the wrong section, this should be in the official joke thread.
Yes, Yes, why not? Anything to do with Fiat has to be in Joke section!

Atleast you being a Mod, please behave in a responsible and unbiased manner!

Last edited by finneyp : 3rd May 2007 at 20:12.
Old 3rd May 2007, 20:10   #8
Senior - BHPian

I was waiting to write something on fiat, and got the right thread. these days i am seeing the palio ad atleast > 10 - 20 times a week which is the height of promoting fiat palio stile. well atleast this is the right step either tata or fiat is taking. eyeing 1 lakh of sales is not an issue personally speaking. eyeing does not mean selling! that way even maruti is 'eyeing' 1 lac sx4 s as someone mentioned as quoting in another thread. and palio being a good cars and so are punto and linea, all put together 50k units must not be impossible atleast.

with just a remodified palio stile if ads come out on media 20 times a week, consider the linea or punto, it should be good times for fiat. well then the question remains is about the a.s.s - which is solely with tata to pick up on in the general interest of both companies.
Old 3rd May 2007, 20:16   #9
Senior - BHPian

Please most of the news in the press are speculative. Fiat selling 100000 in India. In which century?. Or have you got 4 zeros too much?. They just are putting too much trust in Tata, as a visit to a Tata dealership would show them. But that is usual for Fiat which has never understood the Indian market. In Delhi, the recently launched Palio Stile is now advertised at 25K discount. Frankly, Fiat cars may look good and could be well built, but Fiat may already be doomed in India forever.
Old 3rd May 2007, 20:19   #10
Senior - BHPian

FIAT have problems selling a 4 L car - how are they going to sell 60000 cars of a model that will be coming at what 8 L ??

I am confused.
Old 3rd May 2007, 20:39   #11
BHPian

Well, this is typical marketing hyperbole... guess they're just getting some soundbytes out to catch people's attention. There was an article a few weeks back saying Fiat targets sales of around 3000 Palio Stiles in '07... And, then here's this one which speaks about 1L units/yr. with no specific time frame!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekSrik View Post
with just a remodified palio stile if ads come out on media 20 times a week, consider the linea or punto, it should be good times for fiat.
While we're on the subject of the Stile commercials, I just found it too romantic and glossy.. Dont know what message they want to convey... At least I didn't get it.
Old 3rd May 2007, 20:42   #12
Senior - BHPian

ROFLMAOWTIME - Rolling On the Floor Laughing My *** Off With Tears In My Eye

I agree with tsk. This should be in the jokes section.

Last edited by DCEite : 3rd May 2007 at 20:45.
Old 3rd May 2007, 21:51   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Can this expected number include exports too? It would seem more plausible then esp. if they're looking to make India a permanent base for their exports.
Old 3rd May 2007, 22:19   #14
BHPian

Well guys I think we ignored the 1L/ Annum is including exports to countries with RHD. If the numbers were quoted for India alone I too would think it is very ambitious.

---
I goofed, the news release says about 50K to 60K in India alone. If Linea is selling at a median price of #15K I do not think It will be around 6L in India.

Last edited by sreenivass : 3rd May 2007 at 22:26. Reason: Correction
Old 3rd May 2007, 23:07   #15
BHPian

Some remarks are childish

We had a time when FIAT was about to shut down worldwide.

That time also..there were numerous threads in our same team-bhp which were blasting FIAT left & right for their lethargic attitude..yes..that was understandable at that time.

Then they took some tough steps coupled with a good leader at top & money from GM... made PUNTO.....now FIAT has done a real comeback..atleast worldwide..which will enable them to look at INDIA as other car manufactuer does now like HYUNDAI & SUZUKI.

So I do not get why all this sarcasm when FIAT intends to sell more cars in India now. Is that a bad thing for India?

Come on guys let us be optimistic....shift gears from pessimistic mode to optimistic mode.

There was not a FIAT India site for long time..now its there...

There was not comparable A.S.S long time..now its there...with TATA.

Its all coming...there is light at the end of tunnel.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks