Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2006, 22:14   #1
BHPian

Spotted Mahindra Scorpio M2di@ Worli

Today while driving back home I saw a new Scorpio base variant without the scoop on the bonnet. It had a temporary number and on closer inspection had the letters "M2DI" written instead of "CRDe". On pulling up next to it near a traffic signal I could make out that it was distinctively noisier than the normal Scorpio.. sounding more like the Spacio/Bolero DI. m guessing this is some variant of the Bolero Engine. This would definately help Scorpio compete with the Tavera in the Taxi market and also make it more afforable once again.
Old 10th December 2006, 01:01   #2
Senior - BHPian

Perhaps it is their engine for their MPV ingenu/ingenio to be launched in 2008 which would be running parallel to the Bolero.
Or maybe this is just an engine upgrade for the Bolero itself.

As far as scorpio competing in the taxi segment,they would first have to increase interior space in the scorpio.Also it would be a big risk for the lifestyle image the scorpio has created and doubt mahindra would want to risk it by entering the taxi segment.
Old 10th December 2006, 02:25   #3
JRD
BHPian

yeah my guess is that its a commercial market scorpio.. probably running against the tata 207 pick ups.
it might even be lower in hp but higher in torque..

just a guess.
Old 10th December 2006, 03:54   #4
Senior - BHPian

The scorpio could very well be a mule vehicle for testing a new engine. But the fact that left the badging for all and sundry to see baffles me.

HOpefully our man Sajo can do some snooping around, its his lucky month.
Old 10th December 2006, 12:23   #5
Senior - BHPian

Now that will certainly help Mahindra pull numbers , It may not be an ingenio based one coz isnt that supped to be an MPV ? something like a Innova ? moreover I dont think it wil appeal to a larger mass with an unrefined engine when manf.'s are trying hard to pop up with something like Crdi and stuff. This may be a bolero replacment, that way they can use the current shell .
Old 10th December 2006, 12:26   #6
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra want the ingenio to be priced at around the bolero price so it would be sharing some components with the bolero.
Old 10th December 2006, 12:44   #7
Senior - BHPian

well if they plan to give the scorpio, bolero's pricing then that might affect the bolero sales. or are they going to discontinue the bolero.
Old 10th December 2006, 13:09   #8
Senior - BHPian

Scorpio with a bolero engine would make it a sweeet deal for not only taxi operators.But also, families and politicians who just want it for its looks.
Who cares what engine its got if ur driver is gonna do all the driving...
I think it'll cost 50 to 70k lesser than the CRDe models.
Old 10th December 2006, 17:32   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

M2DI is a giveaway. Its the crappy, agricultural, underpowered and loud Mahindra normally aspirated DI engine. You will normally find it in their people movers.

I dont see how it would fit the image of the Scorpio...unless they are just testing the engine for fitment in some other Jeep.
Old 10th December 2006, 20:01   #10
BHPian

Yeah, it's quite possible that the Scorpio would be launched with a DI engine, if u take M&M's strategy regarding the Bolero into consideration. BTW, a facelifted Bolero is going to be launched. Refer this month's OD for spy pics.
Old 11th December 2006, 09:38   #11
BHPian

I just hope that Mahnidra does'nt do that. They have spoiled there entire range using that combine harvestor engine. That engine does'nt deserve the Scorpio.
Old 11th December 2006, 13:37   #12

Guys,
I went for a test drive of Scorpio and asked the person regarding the new 2.2 L engine and he told me that it will take some time before the new engine is launched however he mentioned that the new 2.0 l engine in scorpio is being launched for the commercial taxi category. It will be aimed only at that category and will be cheaper than the existing model. He did not have any more details to share so I can't give any more information.....
Old 12th December 2006, 00:51   #13
Senior - BHPian

Cheapening the Scorpio will definetly damage the reputation of the product. They should at least change the front end and give it a different name.
Old 12th December 2006, 10:13   #14
GTO
Team-BHP Support

If one remembers, Mahindra was going to launch the N/A version of its engine at a lower price, within a year of the original Scorpio launch. Whatever happened to those plans?
Old 12th December 2006, 11:55   #15
Senior - BHPian

If Scorpios start running around as Taxis the vehicle will lose its presence/image factor....being a Mahindra its likely to be successful and therefore it may end up with the same image that the Indica currently has. 4 years of marketing campaigns gone to dust.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks