Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Would you buy a used Skoda Superb today?
Yes 230 54.12%
No 195 45.88%
Voters: 425. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2021, 10:37   #31
BANNED

Re: Pre-worshipped car of the week | Buying a Used Skoda Superb (3rd-gen)

I would have voted No.

Superb can be expensive to repair and I would want to steer clear of any Pre-worshipped Skoda. The only case when I would happily buy a pre-worshipped Skoda is when I have at least an year’s warrant left.
Old 28th May 2021, 10:53   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambydude View Post
Having owned a Skoda since 2010 (Rapid and then Octavia), I'm not sure if there is any fact in that comment. I have never taken my car to the service station apart from routine maintenance (yearly) or for accident repair.
Give it some more time, reliability starts long after the warranty expires.
Old 28th May 2021, 11:00   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambydude View Post
Having owned a Skoda since 2010 (Rapid and then Octavia), I'm not sure if there is any fact in that comment. I have never taken my car to the service station apart from routine maintenance (yearly) or for accident repair. Maybe we should conduct a poll among Skoda owners to understand how many are actually happy with their car and the service.

Not sure what you are referring to by 3 times a year.
Well, my extended family had a Skoda rapid for 7 years and clocked 1.8 lakh km without any issues. My comment was on Skoda superb(or say higher end skodas), specially used ones. Skoda service and spares costs are not cheap anyways.

Coming to used cars, you can't trust the previous owner, for any brand for that matter. Skodas will just annoy more with fatter bills and more complex technicalities.

3 times a year, if you read my post properly, would mean 3 periodic services a year, for my usage of 35-40k km a year.

There are happy ownerships with all cars. I myself have used Safari for 1.8 lakh km(over 2 cars) and will vouch for its reliability. But there are several hundred others who can list pages of niggles and issues with the car.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 28th May 2021 at 11:04.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th May 2021, 11:54   #34
BHPian

Voted Yes!

To be on the safe side, I would opt for the manual petrol base version (gen 3) which has decent list of features and would be more reliable. Experiencing the car with some reliability is my idea, so Superb corporate edition or whatever edition they had in the manual would be the one I will go for.

I just love the style and design is really timeless. Being a manual, most of the issues should be sorted out. But the manual is a rare car and would have to be really searched though.
Old 28th May 2021, 12:31   #35
BHPian

[quote=2000rpm;5069703]
My point was, the difference in value added by a Skoda Superb over City is incremental and not Massive. Someone, who makes the decision from the heart, may go for a USED SUPERB, but someone, who makes the decision from the Head, can never buy the Superb over a New city.

Sir, chances are, if you drive the Skoda Superb for 15 minutes, you will take back your comment. The Superb is in such a different league from the City that there is no basis for a comparison. In fact, the Skoda Superb would trounce the Honda Accord (which is 2 categories up the pecking order than the City)

Adding to the considerations listed on this thread, the ONE factor that would sway me toward the Superb is the solid build and safety it offers. It is incremental beyond measure over a City, despite the City being a 5-Star Asian NCAP.
KANNURAN is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th May 2021, 12:38   #36
BHPian

If we are talking generic VW / Skoda products, I have a 2013 Vento 1.6 TDi. Haven't had any major repairs yet. It is primarily used for highway express driving and so the car is under extended stressed conditions in some ways. The only thing that came about was the "coil" light coming up which the SA said was injectors and replaced / cleaned them and put them back. Since then, no problem. (well, now if problems come up, Kosfactor, you're the one to blame hehe..)

The Superb 1.8 DSG is definitely a problem but the diesel AT doesn't seem to crop up any major issues (even in a google search)

Voted Yes.
Old 28th May 2021, 12:50   #37
BHPian

I voted yes but after reading the comments I do have second thoughts. It's quite incredible value for money for the features on offer. Yet, the horror stories one hears about Skoda ASS and the rate of failure of the gearbox makes me pause.
Old 28th May 2021, 13:18   #38
BHPian

Would have voted NO

I have owned a 2nd gen preowned Tdi, and the amount of small electrical issues, fuel pump, etc was ridiculous. When it was running, it was a beautiful car to drive and to be driven in. Supremely comfortable, powerful, and fuel efficient.

But the amount of time it spent in the workshops was just not worth it.
kapi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th May 2021, 13:22   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
If we are talking generic VW / Skoda products, I have a 2013 Vento 1.6 TDi. Haven't had any major repairs yet. It is primarily used for highway express driving and so the car is under extended stressed conditions in some ways. The only thing that came about was the "coil" light coming up which the SA said was injectors and replaced / cleaned them and put them back. Since then, no problem. (well, now if problems come up, Kosfactor, you're the one to blame hehe..)
Keep an eye on the engine oil level

Hope the injectors were replaced and not cleaned, else the noise will increase and it will contaminate the oil quickly.
Old 28th May 2021, 13:53   #40
Senior - BHPian

Voted Yes

I would definitely buy one given the chance. Yes the gearbox is cause for concern, but it doesn't matter. You need to add 2-3L to the buying price as contingency funds. Yes these gearboxes give up, however I don't think they do out of the blue. They give indications from much before that they are going to fail or something is wrong.

I am big fan of Skoda cars, love their looks, build and brilliant Tsi engines. Maybe a bit biased towards them.
Altocumulus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2021, 14:03   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
3 times a year, if you read my post properly, would mean 3 periodic services a year, for my usage of 35-40k km a year.

Okay, it wasn't clear from your first post that your usage is 35-40 K kms per year. I would say all the more reason for a Skoda as it has 15k kms service interval.
With a 5k/10k service interval vehicle, such a usage would mean you have to visit the SC 4-8 times a year.

Last edited by Lambydude : 28th May 2021 at 14:05.
Lambydude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2021, 14:51   #42
BHPian

Voted Yes! Albeit with few stipulations:

- Should be within warranty period, I’ll immediately buy extended warranty if not bought by the first owner.
- Not run more than 35-40k km.
- Not more than 3 years old.
- Diesel preferred over petrol, although Petrol is fine too.
- Non- accidental history (this goes with any pre-owned car)

If all these conditions are met, I’ll buy a pre-owned Superb over any other car in this price bracket any day. It has been said on this forum a lot of times and I’ll just repeat, Superb is a 60 lakh rupee car masquerading as a 35 lakh rupee car. The level of comfort it provides is just of another level.
ShivWason17 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th May 2021, 16:48   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrogary View Post
Voted yes.

I bought a 2011 Superb 1.8 TSI MT in 2016. The car had done 15k kms at the time. Today it stands at about 57k km. For the price we paid, its a steal.
16 lacs sounds high for 2016 car. But I tend to unvervalue cars.
That sounds like a rip-off to me. We got our 2010(dec) Passat 1.8 TSI Manual at 38k in 2016(oct) at 5.6 lakhs. At that time it still had the new car smell and was a clean example.
Currently it stands on 81k and the only parts changed are
the waterpump, clutch slave cylinder, coils and plugs. *Touchwood* So overall troublefree for a 11 year old VAG machine.
Old 28th May 2021, 17:02   #44
BHPian

Voted NO.

No matter how many online reviews we go through, personal ownership experience or ownership experiences within a known circle is always a wee bit more affirmative. One of my relatives owns a Skoda Superb (First generation, I guess), which he rarely uses these days. From day 1 he has had issues in his car. His ownership experience has been terrible, so much so that he has vowed not to sell the car to anyone as he doesn't want the buyer to curse him later. He once faced ABS failure climbing down a ghat section, which he told me was a scary experience. In addition to this, pathetic dealership experience has only made matters worse for him and the prospective buyers. For an issue related to mechatronics, the dealership took about 2.5 months to rectify, with car in their custody for the entire period. Not to mention the big bills he had to deal with.

Last edited by Emvi : 28th May 2021 at 17:06.
Emvi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th May 2021, 18:56   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumanyu17 View Post
That sounds like a rip-off to me. We got our 2010(dec) Passat 1.8 TSI Manual at 38k in 2016(oct) at 5.6 lakhs. At that time it still had the new car smell and was a clean example.
Currently it stands on 81k and the only parts changed are
the waterpump, clutch slave cylinder, coils and plugs. *Touchwood* So overall troublefree for a 11 year old VAG machine.
OK I didn't pay 16L for my superb. Mine was a 5yr old car which had 15k km on the odo. It costed me just under half that.
5.6 for a Passat back then is wonderful. I am tempted to think that you bought this in North India? It seems cars are like 15-20% cheaper in North compared to South.
I'd say my superb has been acceptably reliable.

Most Viewed