Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Would you buy a used Skoda Superb today?
Yes 230 54.12%
No 195 45.88%
Voters: 425. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2021, 19:54   #46
BHPian

Re: Pre-worshipped car of the week | Buying a Used Skoda Superb (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrogary View Post
OK I didn't pay 16L for my superb. Mine was a 5yr old car which had 15k km on the odo. It costed me just under half that.
5.6 for a Passat back then is wonderful. I am tempted to think that you bought this in North India? It seems cars are like 15-20% cheaper in North compared to South.
Oh my bad, I don't know how I comprehended that.
Yes you're correct, it was bought in Chandigarh. I also think it was an excellent deal, it was almost 1/4th the price of a new one. Sadly can't find deals like this now.
Sumanyu17 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th May 2021, 23:41   #47
BHPian

Yes for sure.

Being the owner of 2nd Gen Facelifted 2015-16 Superb 2.0 DSG, I would say no other car in this price bracket gives you better value for money.

I had seen some people comparing it against Honda City, come on please... We even have a Honda City in the family. Please don't ever compare it with a Superb.
Old 29th May 2021, 00:11   #48

The Only Way to Love is Sacrifice

My vote is a NO here

Unless it's a love affair with the superb, which no matter how scanadalous, can be true for anyone

The hassles of owning a Skoda without oem warranty or an excellent fng plus a lucky zodiac sign are well documented by fellow t-bhpians above and the only point I wish to add from my own experience is that such hassles can dull our love for well built European cars and make our future buying decisions very biased.
So better to go for practicality here and look for other options, somehow I can't suggest a Camry as a viable option because of significant difference in the price of both of em in used car market - Camry is overpriced to start with and Toyota's command a higher resale price.

Best wishes
diablo_rojo is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th May 2021, 00:54   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Voted No.

Respect the Superb for the sheer value(space) it gives. To be frank, as a full size sedan it is a bargain.

But a Camry it is for this segment.

If I want an used German, would rather go the whole hog and buy a used C/3er.
Old 29th May 2021, 09:46   #50
BHPian

Voted NO. I love the car and the fact that it can give serious competition to the Germans on the higher bracket.

The petrol is a delight to drive but the thought of the DQ 200 failing anywhere would always be at the back of your mind.

Maintenance wise, if you get a good FNG with availablity to OES parts, it isn't a problem. But you'd require to get hands on and spend time and money incase of any issues. Also mechatronic failures are better done at the authorised service centre rather than an FNG and the costs involved are exponential.

Also, the prices are ridiculous in Bangalore where a 3 year example is 30+ lakhs which doesn't make any sense to get a used one. You'd rather put in more and go for a new one.

Last edited by advenk999 : 29th May 2021 at 10:12. Reason: Formatting issues
advenk999 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2021, 09:50   #51
BHPian

I voted yes, but conditions apply. I've in fact actively been on the lookout for one of the older VW/Skoda cars.

1. It needs to be under warranty / extendable. This limits to cars of 2017 and after which had the option of 6-7 yr extensions.

2. Diesel. AT's more reliable, the engine is brilliant (such an incredible highway muncher)

3. I preferred the older Octavia to Superb for 2017 models onward, Superb looks much better and I like the space. Octavia of course is sportier but on fast expressways Superb feels very good and that extra space is such a comfort! In the city, sportier does not help much.

4. I'll THOROUGHLY go through every inch of the car. Multiple times. Too may times. Well beyond the seller's point of frustration. They probably won't sell to me.

Cost of owning a VAG :/ . If only they made horrible cars and we could ignore them altogether.
Old 29th May 2021, 22:42   #52
BHPian

Would vote yes. I'd wait for a couple of years for the 2.0 TSI to be widely available in the used car market.
It would make for a great deal at about 22L.
Old 30th May 2021, 19:42   #53
BHPian

My answer is NO! I can make this choice without much thinking as I owned Skoda for about 13years .
Laura 1.9 pd L&K 2006 used it for about 9 years
Laura 1.8 Tsi manual 2010 used for about 2.5 years

When we bought the first Laura I was super excited owing to the great features it has but the ownership experience had been terrible with parts breaking down at regular intervals with almost no service backup for many years (Marikar closed down) I have got stranded on the road many times on this one as well.Electric seats moving on its own while I was driving ,sunroof stuck and won’t close ,clutch failure at 65k kms ,head unit display blurring out and many many issues
Only thing I loved about the car was how spacious it was especially the boot space 😊
I bought the second Laura as I wasn’t able to get a decent price for this Laura when I tried to sell it so I decided to exchange with a manual Tsi which turned out to be worse . I didn’t encounter electronic issues this time as Tsi Laura was ambiente but it made up for it by water pump issues ,clutch ,Ac ,diverter valve and many such issues. I would really suggest you to stay away from Skoda
This is just my opinion 🙏
Thebugdoc is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th May 2021, 22:33   #54
BHPian

If I could vote, it'd be a NO.

Simply because of an itch, I recently started analyzing/ researching the used car market. I read many of the TBHP threads and have owned and enjoyed the fabulous Vento 1.2 TSI with that superfast DSG. Naturally a used Superb grew into one of my favorites to look up.

Here's where I realized (yet again) how important it is to drive a car yourself to aid your decision. I tested the new Skoda Superb 2.0 and it wasn't the same as the Octavia 1.8 I'd tested earlier. Far from it. Don't get me wrong - The car looks amazing, quality is topnotch but I didn't find the drive to as exhilarating as the Octavia. The backseat is out of this world! But there went the "used Superb" out of my consideration list.
Old 31st May 2021, 00:22   #55

I Vote Yes....

Bought my used 2nd gen Superb in Feb this year. 1.8 TSI MT.

I was lucky I guess as I found a less used and less abused one.

Already added some mods such as wheel spacers, stage one REVO remap & some free flow air filter.

I have shifted from a remapped Fortuner to the Superb as always wanted to experience a modded Skoda and boy I am not disappointed!

The car with its feature list & space is a delight and the remapped 1.8 tsi with 350 NM torque and 200 BHP is delicious to say the least.

However one thing to keep in mind as GTO said...need to have an expert person taking care of it. Else you are done for. Some pics of the car are attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Pre-worshipped car of the week | Buying a Used Skoda Superb (3rd-gen)-img_1611-2.jpg  

Pre-worshipped car of the week | Buying a Used Skoda Superb (3rd-gen)-e48d4a5fe0bf451eb9c773fc82b0b9ff-2.jpg  

Pre-worshipped car of the week | Buying a Used Skoda Superb (3rd-gen)-c27b327ee668429ba29a4debdca474d0-2.jpg  

srirajkota is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 11th June 2021, 01:02   #56
Senior - BHPian

Am in the market for my next "used" car and currently stuck in my head between the Octy 1.8TSI and the Superb 3rd Gen TSI. The heart says go for Superb but the mind says don't buy a boat. Just get the Octy. Lets see which one wins!

P.S: The above will happen only if the wifey gives green light to my whims. So please pray for me!

P.P.S: Obviously voted yes!
Old 18th October 2021, 16:51   #57
BHPian

Bought a pre owned 2015 1.8 TSI Superb in 2019 and haven't questioned the decision once!
Did some mid sized runs viz Bangalore- Chikmanglur, Bangalore - Coorg, Bangalore- Mysuru. A pleasure to drive and have had no major issues, except changing parts of the front suspension, since there was a bit of squeaking.
Needless to say, not taking it to a Skoda ASS, get it serviced through GoMevhanic. Very peased with the purchase.
Wife uses a driver from DriveU when she wants to go to the centre of the city ( we live on the outskirts of Bangalore), and so far it has worked out for us.
Its surprisingly easy to drive for such a large car!
Sanjivvohra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2022, 11:33   #58
BHPian

My answer would be a yes. And my choice of power train among the available options would be undoubtedly the 2.0TDI with the lightning fast 6 speed DSG gearbox. The reasons for the same are:

1. The 2.0TDI could be one of the best Diesel engines offered in India. The unit is very responsive, and that 350 nm of torque keeps propelling you forward effortlessly. Mid range punch is absolutely enjoyable, so is the surge of torque.

2. DQ200 is quicker with shifts, but would choose the DQ250 anyday over it blindly, as the DQ250 is an equally competent gearbox, lightning quick with shifts, much more reliable than the dry clutch DQ200.

3. I’m always more into the ‘torque’ offered, rough nature of the diesel, the pull is more aggressive than the petrol counterpart (1.8TSI DSG) in my limited experience. The diesel is much more fuel efficient and has better highway range, more robust.

4. Like GTO sir said, “Germans make better diesels than petrols” I believe this holds true here too.
Old 31st March 2023, 11:07   #59
BANNED

Is this car a good deal? I can't seem to find anything wrong with it?
https://www.olx.in/item/skoda-superb...iid-1726149988
Old 31st March 2023, 15:35   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS_WAYNE View Post
Is this car a good deal? I can't seem to find anything wrong with it?
https://www.olx.in/item/skoda-superb...iid-1726149988
Isn't it a little too high for the Style variant?
Also given that the new owner will need to shell road tax for the next 5 /10 years which will be a percentage of the invoice value of the car. And most likely it will be out of warranty.

Straight answer - Not sure but the car can be looked at especially given that its a very low mileage car and also because the engine is a stonker (350 Nm torque at 1500 rpm) and these cars returning phenomenal mileage.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks