Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st June 2021, 20:47   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Maruti trademarks 'S-Assist' name; Clutchless MT?

Maruti Suzuki trademarks S - Assist. What is it?

- Clutch-less MT Tech ?

- A new Gearbox /transmission tech ?

Maruti trademarks 'S-Assist' name; Clutchless MT?-1.jpg

Link
volkman10 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 1st June 2021, 21:26   #2
BHPian

Re: Automated Manual Transmission (AMT): The new buzz in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Maruti Suzuki trademarks S - Assist. What is it?
Clutch-less MT is what I think too purely going by the "assist" word.

If introduced in Alto 800, Celerio 2021 and Spresso then it may become as big of a hit as the AMT.
RavSam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2021, 21:56   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavSam View Post
If introduced in Alto 800, Celerio 2021 and Spresso then it may become as big of a hit as the AMT.
+1! Most of these are city runabouts and they will surely benefit from being clutchless as that is where the leg has to do the most work engaging and disengaging the clutch. This will certainly be a boon and I would not mind switching to this when time comes for replacing the current K10 that we are using for the city duties exclusively.
abhinav.s is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2021, 12:35   #4
Team-BHP Support

Re: Maruti trademarks 'S-Assist' name; Clutchless MT?

Maruti trademarks 'S-Assist' name; Clutchless MT? - Posts moved to a new thread.
Aditya is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2021, 12:47   #5
BHPian

Clutchless technology would definitely be welcome on Maruti cars especially the smaller ones. Personally, I'm rooting for S-Assist to be a manual sans clutch kind of tech.

Although I feel the trademark 'S-Assist' can also have something to do with driving aids as I didn't see any specific data pointing towards a transmission tech. Cars like the Seltos and the City have lane-change cameras that can be potential life-savers on our roads. Such tech is expensive and might not be everyone's cup of tea. Therefore if Maruti launches an additional package for the car with such features (driving assistance aids) that might be a financially prudent move for them. I think driving while on Indian roads we can definitely use some driver aids to keep us more safe and relaxed during journeys.

Quite intrigued to see what this would turn out to be and thanks for sharing!

Last edited by AKSarkar1 : 2nd June 2021 at 12:52.
AKSarkar1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2021, 13:21   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Most of these are city runabouts and they will surely benefit from being clutchless as that is where the leg has to do the most work engaging and disengaging the clutch. This will certainly be a boon and I would not mind switching to this when time comes for replacing the current K10 that we are using for the city duties exclusively.
Wishlist - If Maruti can offer the presumed clutchless technology + CNG in their entry-level cars (Alto, S-Presso, WagonR) and Celerio, imagine what value proposition these cars will bring in the target market? Even a 10% increase in retail sales will result in addition of upto 5,000 units more.

Add to it, a sweet little extra premium (5-6%) over and above the current Showroom prices will add to huge profit margins for these cars. Do the maths by yourself, eh !
jigar1791@gmail is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2021, 23:12   #7

The name S Assist indirectly points out to clutch less MT. It is rather easier for MSIL to add this in their portfolio since they already use AGS system. AGS has hydraulic clutch actuator and gear shifter actuator. For clutch less MT MSIL only need to retain clutch actuator which should be priced lower than AGS.

Kia and Hyundai have been offering this technology and to stay in league sooner or later Maruti had to offer this.

Let's see when they update their 4 speed TC and bring a proper AT in the means of DCT or CVT across their portfolio.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks