Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2021, 13:05   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Toyota trademarks 'Corolla Quest' name in India

Toyota trademark 'Corolla Quest' in India.

Is it the mid SUV ( Corolla Cross) for India , or a Sedan?

Toyota trademarks 'Corolla Quest' name in India-1.jpg

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 4th June 2021 at 13:06.
volkman10 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 4th June 2021, 14:07   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Toyota's future plans for India

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Toyota trademark 'Corolla Quest' in India.

Is it the mid SUV ( Corolla Cross) for India , or a Sedan?
Corolla Quest in the South African market is a lower spec Corolla if I am not wrong.

Toyota trademarks 'Corolla Quest' name in India-5c7967a00a0348a9ac80bf2c7dd4413a.jpeg

I don’t think Toyota has any plan to bring in the Corolla Cross. So either this is a sedan or it’s the rebadged Ciaz name. But for the Ciaz they also have Belta.

Last edited by Aditya : 5th June 2021 at 06:36. Reason: Typo
CEF_Beasts is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th June 2021, 14:17   #3
BHPian

May be they ve realized that Belta may not be a very appealing name for India so they ve registered a new name for the Maruti sedan. I don't foresee Toyota bringing in an original Toyota global product to India anytime soon.
a.bhatt is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 4th June 2021, 14:25   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
I don’t think Toyota has any plan to bring in the Corolla Cross. So either this is a sedan or it’s the rebadged Ciaz name. But fir the Ciaz they also have Belta.
Why would they bring a Sedan , when this is what they had to say when they exited the Corolla segment!

Naveen Soni, Sr. VP, Sales and Service, Toyota India :

Quote:
What about the Corolla – what is the future of the Corolla in India?

On the Corolla, we had to take a hard decision, because we had to free up the plant capacity to bring in newer and better models for the future. Given this, the Corolla will have to exit the Indian market. From a new consumer point of view, that segment also has a very predominant shift towards the SUV/MUV genre, so that was another deciding factor.
Toyota Corolla Quest is likely to be a MUV ( Ertiga based) or a SUV.

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 4th June 2021 at 14:52.
volkman10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th June 2021, 15:10   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Why would they bring a Sedan , when this is what they had to say when they exited the Corolla segment!
Yes, this is also true sedans are indeed a dying breed.

Quote:
Toyota Corolla Quest is likely to be a MUV ( Ertiga based) or a SUV.
Let's hope it is a SUV from Toyota and not Maruti because a name as iconic as the Corolla can't be given to a Maruti car! It can seriously backfire on Toyota.
CEF_Beasts is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 4th June 2021, 23:18   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
Corolla Quest in the South African market is a lower spec Corolla if I am not wrong.
Lower spec and previous generation - that's the Quest in South Africa!

Wonder if Toyota / Maruti wants to bring back the previous generation of the Corolla once again - with some extra cost cutting learned from Maruti.

After all, we are talking of a company that is preparing a 7 year old Maruti Suzuki as an all new car under its own branding - so relaunching a discontinued product with a lot of cost-cutting is actually a going to be a premium move from them!
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 4th June 2021, 23:34   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

The Corolla Quest is a budget model in South Africa. Mostly the previous gen of the Corolla with the smaller engine options, 1.4/1.5/1.6l depending on the generation.

Wonder why they would trademark that name in India. The Corolla or Corolla Altis has enough brand pull if they are going to relaunch a hybrid version. The Corolla Cross is slowly being established as a brand worldwide, not sure why they would change that just for India. Don't they dare slap the Corolla name on a Suzuki

Or are they going to name the YFG Creta rival as the Corolla Quest?
DicKy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th June 2021, 06:39   #8
Team-BHP Support

Re: Toyota trademarks 'Corolla Quest' name in India

Toyota trademarks 'Corolla Quest' name in India - Posts moved to a new thread.
Aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2021, 07:29   #9
BHPian

I don’t think they will bring back the previous gen Corolla. There is no life left in the 15-22 lakh sedan segment and the Corolla is probably too expensive to compete in the Honda City segment. Also, I remember that when the Crysta was launched, they knew that the previous gen Innova could still sell very well, but was discontinued due to “Global policies”. Quoting from the Team-BHP official review of the Crysta:

Quote:

The first instance was with the Qualis being discontinued a decade ago, and now it's the Innova's turn. Frankly, it just makes a whole lot of business sense to sell the old Innova as a cab (e.g. Dzire Tour) and position the new Innova Crysta for the private sector. Nope, Toyota's global policies won't allow it. Some of Toyota's Indian managers mustn't be happy with that decision.
If these “Global policies still haven’t changed, I guess they still cannot sell a previous gen/discontinued model. I wonder how did these policies not apply when they reintroduced the 11th Gen model as the Corolla Quest in South Africa.
Sanidhya mukund is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th June 2021, 09:02   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanidhya mukund View Post
I don’t think they will bring back the previous gen Corolla. There is no life left in the 15-22 lakh sedan segment and the Corolla is probably too expensive to compete in the Honda City segment. Also, I remember that when the Crysta was launched, they knew that the previous gen Innova could still sell very well, but was discontinued due to “Global policies”. Quoting from the Team-BHP official review of the Crysta:

If these “Global policies still haven’t changed, I guess they still cannot sell a previous gen/discontinued model. I wonder how did these policies not apply when they reintroduced the 11th Gen model as the Corolla Quest in South Africa.
I remember very distinctly that for a short period of time after the Crysta launched, the older Innova was available alongside it. But not for long I guess. Merely 2-3 months.
sodapop is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th June 2021, 09:19   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodapop View Post
I remember very distinctly that for a short period of time after the Crysta launched, the older Innova was available alongside it. But not for long I guess. Merely 2-3 months.
That's not correct buddy. Toyota stopped the production of the first generation Innova in March 2016, whereas the Crysta was launched later in May.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th June 2021, 10:12   #12
BHPian

This was the rumour from about 2.5 years ago

https://www.cardekho.com/india-car-n...edan-22936.htm

Could they have taken the last gen Corolla applied their "value engineering" and added a hybrid from the Toyota family ? This will also allow them to sell it as a MSIL offering after 1-2 years

Last edited by indivic : 5th June 2021 at 10:13.
indivic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2021, 11:51   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanidhya mukund View Post
South Africa, just like us has a history of outdated cars still being sold. Just like our 800, VW used to sell an 80s Polo/Golf(?) till the late 2000s. Two generations old Polo was stopped only a couple of years ago, and replaced by our Polo as the Polo Vivo. The latest generation Polo arrives, making the previous gen as the Polo Vivo. Nissan does the same. When the 11G Corolla came, the 10G Corolla was decontented and sold as the Corolla Quest. Same happened with the 12G Corolla's arrival.

Playing the devil's advocate, I would say the global policies may differ with different markets. Especially for the Innova and Fortuner, the IMV project plays an important role. IIRC, the main production of the vehicles and components happen in Thailand, Indonesia, India and South Africa. With assembly of CKD kits in other Asian, South American countries. So they couldn't continue an old model in a market even if they wanted to, but the vehicles were adapted for different markets. While we got the latest 2.4l and 2.8l GD series diesels, markets like Vietnam still had the older 2.5l and 3.0l KD series engines. Further, for war zone countries or real poor ones, Toyota even gives the Fortuner the 5L engine from the 1980s!!! A 3.0l non crdi, naturally aspirated engine that could theoretically run on vegetable oil !!! When the Corolla diesel was first launched in India, I remember casually checking the Toyota Pakistan website. The 10G Corolla was still being sold with the 2C engine from the 1980s!!! Ofcourse it was stopped when Pakistan adopted stringent pollution norms and stopped diesel subsidy.

Remember a BHPian mentioning in one of the threads that Toyota classifies each market into some sort of Grades, depending on the volumes, image and profitability. Ours is a market where they have given up on volumes and market share, instead focusing on profitability and image. So we neither get dated models for brand image nor do we get the latest models as volumes will be low for the prices sold. Don't ask if their image is dented by rebadging Marutis.
DicKy is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 5th June 2021, 15:14   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
After all, we are talking of a company that is preparing a 7 year old Maruti Suzuki as an all new car under its own branding - so relaunching a discontinued product with a lot of cost-cutting is actually a going to be a premium move from them!
This is so true . It was unlikely for Toyota to bring back the Corolla or give this iconic nameplate to the upcoming rebadged Ciaz. But with their recent partnership to sell rebadged vehicles, the brand has lost lots of core values and what the iconic symbol stands for. Toyota should be careful with this one since the nameplate is synonymous with Toyota itself.

If it is the original Corolla, wonder how much they can strip it down further to reduce costs ? If it is the rebadged Ciaz, a lot of the existing Corolla customers will be pretty mad.
Old 5th June 2021, 15:26   #15
BHPian

I believe it is a renamed corolla cross. They might want a different name in India because "cross" suffix is not well respected here(thanks to Etios cross and cross Polo)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks