Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2021, 14:31   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bought new car, but want to register it in a different state

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigvr View Post

2. If Kerala continues with its lockdown for a few more weeks, do I keep waiting for temp registration renewal, and hence postpone my trip?

I'm presuming this question has come to your mind because of the expired TR. You technically don't need a temp registration renewal. I don't think there is any such thing. You can register with the expired TR itself.
I am not an expert, but I think you can renew temporary registration by a month or so? I know some of my friends use this to get a preferred number without having to pay much premium. May be if your temp has expired, and if you intend to do permanent, the penalty includes renewal of temporary reg?

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenh0rn View Post
Thanks so much, this is really useful! Really appreciate it!

I have one question - the papers given to me by KL dealer do not have Manufacturer invoice...do I really need it for Delhi? The big problem for me is that Kerala is still under heavy lockdown and the dealer won't be able to do anything, no matter how much I persuade.
Just FYI, if temp. registration has expired, technically your car insurance is invalid. Please be cautious when you take it out.
PrideRed is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th June 2021, 09:19   #17
BHPian

All the other BHPians have given great answers including finding a reliable RTO agent etc.

Would further ask you to consider 2 things:

1) Temp registration extension: Not sure about how it is working in different states since each has its own RTO norms. Given the current Covid and the lockdown, I'm sure there must be some way of extending the temp registration for cars. I do recall Maharashtra doing something similar where they automatically extended the duration for some document. Once again, please check if this is an option. Wait on the registration if that is an option, things will definitely be more streamlined once re-opened and will save you any unnecessary hassle

2) Try to talk to someone from the RTO directly: Often times even RTO agents, as reliable as they are will paint half the picture in order to pocket a little more money, as at the end of the day it is their business. It will be best if you can talk to people directly at your local RTO to get an understanding of what exactly needs to be done. A personal reference really goes a long with government officers.

Most importantly stay safe during this entire process! Hope this helps!
AKSarkar1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2021, 12:21   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
Just FYI, if temp. registration has expired, technically your car insurance is invalid. Please be cautious when you take it out.
Thanks man. But I'm not sure if insurance is going to be an issue, as I had to buy the insurance cover even before applying for temp registration at KL RTO. In any case I have full-scale lockdown and RTO office closure as an excuse for expired temp registration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKSarkar1 View Post
I'm sure there must be some way of extending the temp registration for cars. I do recall Maharashtra doing something similar where they automatically extended the duration for some document.

2) Try to talk to someone from the RTO directly:

Most importantly stay safe during this entire process! Hope this helps!
Thanks man. I am going to my local RTO first thing Monday morning with a full file...let's see how it goes.
greenh0rn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2021, 13:27   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigvr View Post
You can calculate your road tax on VAHAN. This should give you the accurate amount, but I have personally noticed some tiny differences in the actuals. Not sure if DL has different tax slabs for individuals and entities.
There is no AP or Telangana mentioned in the list on VAHAN page. Any leads please.

Bought new car, but want to register it in a different state-1.jpg
coolmind is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2021, 13:41   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmind View Post
There is no AP or Telangana mentioned in the list on VAHAN page. Any leads please.
Attachment 2166835
The AP and Telangana MVD have not included itself for giving ONLINE citizen services via Vahan.
Also the various services available thro this site differs from state to state.Maharashtra has the most services thro this site
ajay99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2021, 14:07   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmind View Post
Check out https://www.mycarhelpline.com/index....=155&Itemid=91
greenh0rn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2021, 15:02   #22
BHPian

[quote=coolmind;5080316]There is no AP or Telangana mentioned in the list on VAHAN page. Any leads please.

AP, Telengana and a few other states don't use VAHAN at the moment. So, you won't find the tax calculator integrated with these states.
Old 12th June 2021, 15:04   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
I am not an expert, but I think you can renew temporary registration by a month or so? I know some of my friends use this to get a preferred number without having to pay much premium. May be if your temp has expired, and if you intend to do permanent, the penalty includes renewal of temporary reg?

Oh, I may be wrong. We have never had the requirement to do temp renewals. So, I might not know this entirely.
The penalty doesn't get categorised as renewal of temp. It counts the number of days that have passed and calculates a penalty based on that.

Yes, insurance goes invalid. We got to ensure car is taken out only for the permanent registration.
vigvr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2021, 15:07   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenh0rn View Post
I have one question - the papers given to me by KL dealer do not have Manufacturer invoice...do I really need it for Delhi? The big problem for me is that Kerala is still under heavy lockdown and the dealer won't be able to do anything, no matter how much I persuade.
Some states don't need it. For ex., here in TN - we need that document. TN needs the proper trail of paper. But in KA, it is not needed at all. I'm guessing KL is a lot like KA with respect to RTO doc expectations.

Your RTO agent might tell you if that's needed. This could be based on the RTO too.
vigvr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2021, 13:42   #25
BHPian

Hi all, a slight delay in posting an update. I succeeded in registering the car in Delhi all by myself, but with some difficulties that are sadly not over yet. The entire process took 5 visits to the RTO over 3 days, when it could have been done in a single visit if I had the paperwork sorted. Oh, I had to pay Rs. 2,000 as the penalty for late registration.

TL: DR; version: Yes, it is entirely possible to register a new car by yourself - the process is really straightforward PROVIDED you have all your paperwork in order. If you have the papers sorted, there is no need to engage an RTO agent anymore. The whole process takes an hour or two maximum, and there is no waiting in endless queues anymore.

BUT, if you are unsure of even one document, do read the longer version below and decide for yourself if you want to do it yourself or engage an agent.

Longer version with a blow-by-blow account:

When I got my car on April 16, the Kerala dealer had given me what he believed was a complete docket for the RTO - and told me it had everything I needed to get the car registered. He also advised me to go via an agent, a suggestion that I ignored. To my peril.

Day 1 Visit 1 (Wednesday morning): I reached Sarai Kale Khan RTO (for DL-03) at 9:15am, and go straight to counter 20 for new car registration, armed with the dealer's docket, and some additional documents for address proof etc. The person manning it inspects my documents, and points out that I also need Form 34 (for bank hypothecation) and Manufacturer's invoice. Helpfully he even prints a checklist and marks out the items missing.

There is one more document not mentioned anywhere else. Because the car was not registered within one month as stipulated on the temp registration, I need to get an indemnity bond prepared on a Rs. 100 stamp paper, sign and stamp it, and also get two witnesses to put their names and addresses and then sign it. Oh, and I need self-attested photo ID proofs of those said witnesses. The bond basically indemnifies RTO, police and government against any court cases, challans etc. that might have accrued, and also mention the reason for the delay (total lockdown in my case).

Finally, and here is the big one - the person points out that the car's ownership details in the temp registration are captured wrong (a mistake at Kerala dealer and/or RTO end). They put Owner's name as 'The Director', instead of my company name. They put my residential address as 'Permanent Address'. And then they put my Company's name and registered office address as 'Temporary Address'.

But curiously, the man does not make a big enough deal of this temp registration issue on the very first day.

Anyhow, I leave the RTO within 15 mins of entering it and start making calls for missing documents. First call is to dealer's sales head - mind you Kerala is still under lockdown on June 16 and all private offices are closed. But Adarsh, the head of sales at EVM Skoda in Calicut is ever so helpful and arranges to have one of his colleagues go to the dealer's premises, have it opened, and search for manufacturer's invoice. He manages to send me a scanned copy at 1:27pm on the same day, but the RTO timings are 8:30am-1pm only.

I have to then call my bank's guy for the Form 34. He arranges to have it hand delivered at my home.

Next I have to visit Sheikh Sarai to the older RTO to get the indemnity bond prepared. It takes about 20-25 mins for one of the dozens of notaries/lawyers there and he makes me sign and stamp it there, and then notarizes it.

By the time I come home, the Form 34 has been delivered. Finally, I ask my building neighbours to sign as witnesses, and also provide their photo IDs to go along. They do so quickly. And thus ends the day 1.

Day 2 Visit counter: 2 (Thursday): I reach the RTO by 9:20am and head straight to counter 20. I now have the three missing documents: the indemnity bond, Form 34, and the manufacturer's invoice.

Our man at the counter 20 again inspects all documents and now gets fixated on the incorrectly mentioned owner's details in the temp registration. He says he cannot register the car in the name of 'The Director', it has to be a proper person's name or company's name. Valid point, but he could have told me this on Day 1 and visit 1.

Anyhow, he asks me to get this rectified via Kerala RTO and get a modified temp registration. The ostensible reason is that all paperwork is centralised with Vaahan database and if some data has been captured wrongly at the source, it can only be modified at the source. According to Delhi RTO, they cannot modify the owner's details in the database once it has been entered incorrectly at the time of temp registration.

And so I have to leave the RTO again and try and get temp registration modified. This time, I make more calls to Adarsh, who tries his best to figure it out. Around 12pm, he even connects me with a local RTO agent. The agent tells me that he will check and give me an update in 30-40 mins. I finally get an update from the agent at 12:40, that (1) Kerala RTOs will always a register a company-owned car in this fashion i.e. in the name of 'The Director', and (2) they cannot modify anything now, and any changes can only be done by Delhi RTO.

Day 2 Visit counter:3 (Thursday): So I make a dash back to the Sarai Kale Khan, and inform the counter 20 man. With some hesitation he signs the papers, and then asks me to get the vehicle inspected. But it's already 12:55, and he says that the work will now only happen on the next day. Indeed, I cannot find the vehicle inspector anywhere inside or outside the office - he has simply vanished. And hence, I have to do a 4th visit on the next day.

Day 3 Visit counter:4 (Friday): I am at the RTO at 9am and go immediately to the vehicle inspector, who is a senior officer. He reviews the documents and inspects the car, but before signing, he points out that the car is imported (CBU), and I need some more documents. These are ECC (European Union's equivalent of BS-6) certificate, customs bill of entry and a TR-6 challan. He says without these documents the car cannot be registered.

Oh, and he also makes a big issue of the ownership details again. When I tell him the response from Kerala RTO, he advises me to talk to the MLO directly. The MLO promptly passes the ball back in the court of the man at counter 20, saying that our man is the one to take a final call. Ultimately it is decided by the vehicle inspector that while the RC will be prepared in the name of 'The Director', they will not hand it over to me, and I will have to apply for an ownership change to the company name before I can have the RC in my hand. Seeing that there is no other choice, I agree.

Anyhow, the ECC and other documents for 'imported cars' is the bigger issue to solve. I leave the RTO and now start making calls again to Adarsh. This time, Adarsh puts me in touch with his CRM team, and they have no idea what are these documents.

In the interim, I am also talking to a friend at Skoda, who tells me that all dealers were given these documents at the time of delivery only, and they are supposed to provide these documents for registration. He advises me to tell my dealer that in case they cannot find those documents, they should write to Skoda and Skoda will provide them with the documents.

So around 10:30 or 11, EVM Skoda sends a mail out to Skoda India. Around 12:15, Skoda responds back with all the documents. EVM Skoda then promptly forwards me the mail, I take printouts quickly and then rush back to the RTO.

Day 3 visit counter:5 (Friday): It's 12:45pm already and I am worried if they will again ask me to come back the next day. But this time, the vehicle inspector doesn't even look at the ECC or other documents, and simply signs and hands over the documents to me.

Once again I go back to Counter 20, who then signs the file and passes it over to counter 19, the lady running it now feeds in all the details and generates a payment link for the registration fees.

The total amount is over 4 lakh, and in my first attempt to pay via net banking, I use one of my company bank accounts with a net banking transaction limit of 2 lakh. The payment obviously fails to go through, and the counter 20 lady tells me now I have to wait for two and a half hours for the 'payment failure' status to reflect, and to be able to pay again!

I wait there till 2pm and by that time I am hungry. Reckoning that the payment link will not open before 3:30, I head out for lunch nearby. Around 2:45, I check the link once and voila! It shows payment failure, meaning I can make the payment again. This time, I use another account with a much higher limit to make the payment and it goes through.

Friends, I have the car registered. I have the registration number with me.

I rush back to the RTO, show the Counter 19 lady the payment receipt and she generates an HSRP slip. Now the Kerala dealer will have to get the number plates prepared and couriered to me.

Epilogue
Is this the end? Hardly. I still need to figure out if the Delhi RTO will release the RC, or if I have to undergo a change of ownership. I am currently back in my hometown and will only find this out when I go back to Delhi after a couple of weeks.

Last edited by greenh0rn : 27th June 2021 at 13:46.
greenh0rn is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th June 2021, 13:55   #26
Team-BHP Support

Wow, bravo.

Yes, an agent would have helped as there’s still a lot of different interpretations at various RTOs. All of our firm cars are registered in the name of the company in North and elsewhere. Not sure why Kerala enters as ‘Director’ as it’s a generic and doesn’t make sense. Delhi RTO maybe correct when they say that they cannot do any changes in name as the system is built like this. Most likely you will need to change the name but be careful as that may show up as a second owner which can hurt the resales. Better you continue with whatever is written unless there’s a specific reason otherwise or RTO has provision to correct a mistake.

Good luck and your post / thread is going to help a lot of people

Last edited by Turbanator : 27th June 2021 at 13:57.
Turbanator is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th June 2021, 16:32   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Most likely you will need to change the name but be careful as that may show up as a second owner which can hurt the resales. Better you continue with whatever is written unless there’s a specific reason otherwise or RTO has provision to correct a mistake.
Thanks man. The Vehicle Inspector told me the same thing and asked me if I'll be ok with 'second owner' thing post the change of name. Not that he gave me a choice- he said he won't hand over the RC until this change happens.

I am not sure if I should be bothered with this 'second owner' tag, considering this being Octavia RS245 is an enthusiast car, one of 200 sold in India, and will always have a tiny but niche enthusiast market for it. Plus I intend to mod it and not keep it stock. Last but not the least, I can always explain the change of ownership is just technical -it's the same person actually driving it.

Anyhow, lesson learnt: Try not to buy a new car from Kerala if you want to register it in your company name in another state.
Old 19th July 2021, 14:53   #28
BHPian

I live in Ghaziabad and want to register my new car at office address in Gurgaon. Is that possible ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks