Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Old 8th June 2021, 09:38   #1
BHPian

Default Bought new car, but want to register it in a different state

Dear fellow BHPians, need your advice regarding my new car registration in Delhi.

TL: DR;
1. Car purchased from Kerala on April 16, need to register in Delhi
2. The temp registration was valid for a month and expired on May 15, during lockdown
3. Kerala is still under lockdown and my dealer says he can only check for renewal of temp reg. once lockdown relaxes
4. I am going to be in Delhi next week, and want to register the car. Is it doable?
5. As I expect the registration fee to be around 4L, how do we make this payment instantly? I can do a RTGS from bank but it will take either a visit to nearest bank branch, or 1 day for net banking after cooling off period. Any advice welcome.

Long story:

I live in Delhi and run my own company. In mid April, I bought one of the last few Octavia RS245 from a dealer in Kozhikode (EVM Skoda). I flew down to Kozhikode, took the delivery on April 16 (the dealer got me temp registration on the same day), and then drove back to Delhi.

On April 19, Delhi went into lockdown, and I was informed government offices are also shut. Also, Delhi's Covid situation was worsening and on May 2, after repeated pleas from my family, I drove to Amritsar in my other car (Polo GT TSI), and have been here ever since.

Delhi relaxed its lockdown from this week and I am guessing the RTO office would be also open now. I also expect more relaxations from next week. Accordingly, I am planning to visit Delhi for this work, and get the car registered. In the meantime, the temp registration issued by Kerala RTO would have expired on May 15 (one month after April 16).

Hence my questions:
1. Would the Delhi RTO allow registration of a car with expired temp registration, by taking lockdown as an excuse?
2. If Kerala continues with its lockdown for a few more weeks, do I keep waiting for temp registration renewal, and hence postpone my trip?
3. My guesstimate for the car registration fee for RS245 is around 3.8-4.3 lakh. Question is: how do we make this payment instantly? Does the RTO accept cheques or RTGS?

Any advice for these questions would be really appreciated.

Apologies, missed mentioning that the car will be registered in company name. Does this change anything for me?

Last edited by Sheel : 8th June 2021 at 11:00. Reason: Please edit or multi quote your replies instead of back to back posts on the same thread. Thanks.
greenh0rn is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 8th June 2021, 09:55   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Default re: Bought new car, but want to register it in a different state

Payment has to be through a demand draft.

I would engage a reliable RTO agent in Delhi and let him handle the whole process. DIY only if you have too much free time on your hands.
androdev is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 8th June 2021, 10:07   #3
Senior - BHPian

I would say either take the help of a reliable RTO agent or why don't you visit a Skoda showroom and ask if they can help.
Altocumulus is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 8th June 2021, 11:49   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
I would say either take the help of a reliable RTO agent or why don't you visit a Skoda showroom and ask if they can help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
I would engage a reliable RTO agent in Delhi and let him handle the whole process. DIY only if you have too much free time on your hands.
How do I find a reliable agent? I searched via Google and called two, and both said that they donít handle new car registration and Iíll have to do it myself.

Taking help from Skoda dealer sounds like a good idea. Will explore.
Old 8th June 2021, 12:35   #5
BHPian

Visit the RTO with your new shiny car and the agents will flock you. Select anyone at random as Mr X is as good as Mr Y. They will of course charge their commission but they know how to get the work done, especially when there is a twist in the story like in your case. These guys know the workaround and whom to approach when there is a "special" requirement beyond the normal procedure.
Heart_Revs is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 8th June 2021, 13:53   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

To get your car registered at Delhi it would be preferable to first of all find out a reliable RTO agent through your Delhi contacts.

Please contact the Skoda or VW dealer near you, as they usually have a fixed agent who undertakes such jobs for the sold cars from the showroom. This person can guide you about the processes involved and the documents required and the fees payable.

The Union Transport Ministry (though they soon intend to slaughter old car and bike owners with hefty renewal fees, they have done some good deeds too ) has liberally relaxed deadlines for licence renewal, 15 year fitness renewal (till 30/06/2021) and so on and the agent would also know about the TEMP registration validity/ extension of validity.

It is always preferable to go through a known and verified agent, as he wll be in possession of your car's original papers for sometime and after all it's Delhi !
anjan_c2007 is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 10th June 2021, 06:38   #7
BHPian

Default Re: Bought new car, but want to register it in a different state

I hope that the Form 21 (Sale Certificate) and the tax invoice mentions your address which you intend to use for registering the car in Delhi and matches the address as per your valid proof of Delhi address to get the car registered.
AFAIK, the addresses need to be for the registration address otherwise the RTO doesn’t register the car in the state.

If your documents are in order, it shouldn’t be difficult. I have purchased cars from UP and Punjab in the past and got them registered at my home state in Himachal in past without much hassle.
docsinghal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2021, 07:55   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by docsinghal View Post
I hope that the Form 21 (Sale Certificate) and the tax invoice mentions your address which you intend to use for registering the car in Delhi and matches the address as per your valid proof of Delhi address to get the car registered.
AFAIK, the addresses need to be for the registration address otherwise the RTO doesnít register the car in the state.
Yes, the dealer in Kozhikode made sure that the same address was used for temp registration with local RTO.

I have two more questions now, given the car will be registered in company name, would the Certificate of Incorporation work as address proof? Also, will I need to give company PAN Card details or my personal one?
Old 10th June 2021, 08:03   #9

For registration of vehicle in the name of the company, the Certificate of Incorporation would work as a proof of address, provided there has been no change in the address of the registered office. Further, GST Registration certificate is insisted.

Along with this, ID proof will be required for which the Company PAN should suffice. In addition, Director ID proof and address proof may be required. I hope this helps.
SatJordan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th June 2021, 09:45   #10
BHPian

My friend did exactly same with his Superb in the month of February. He bought a Superb from Marakkar Kollam and got registered in Hyderabad. Marakkar guys contacted Mahavir Skoda Hyderabad and arranged the registration through , their agent in Hyderabad RTO . You should also go through the same way, which is less headache
anumod is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 10th June 2021, 13:32   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenh0rn View Post

1. Would the Delhi RTO allow registration of a car with expired temp registration, by taking lockdown as an excuse?
2. If Kerala continues with its lockdown for a few more weeks, do I keep waiting for temp registration renewal, and hence postpone my trip?
3. My guesstimate for the car registration fee for RS245 is around 3.8-4.3 lakh. Question is: how do we make this payment instantly? Does the RTO accept cheques or RTGS?

Apologies, missed mentioning that the car will be registered in company name. Does this change anything for me?

Hi Greenhorn

I was in a similar predicament last year, when first lockdown was imposed and I had to register an out of state of BS4 vehicle (coincidentally it was Skoda for me too) in Delhi state.

So from state of sale RTO, it is transferred to the concerned RTO (basis the documents you'd have provided as proof of address for Invoicing, the system automatically picks it up).

Following documents were asked by my agent back then:
- Temporary registration
- Dealer Invoice (to the customer)
- Manufacturer Invoice (to the dealer)
- Insurance
- Aadhar of the Owner
- Form 20, 21, 22

The car needs to be physically taken to the concerned RTO for verification, along with the duly filled up papers. Once, everything is to their satisfaction, they initiate the registration process and generate a payment link. Payment is done through online methods only (RTGS etc). Post the payment, they get the acknowledgment and you are issued registration.

In case you apply for special number of your choice, then you'd have to move the file/seek permission to move it from the concerned RTO to the RTO Transport authority of the concerned Zone (North/South/South West etc..)

Like yourself, even I had gone in with expired temporary registration for getting the car registered in Delhi. However that time the governing principle were more of BS4 registration norms as per the Supreme Court directives. So not sure whether Live or Expired temporary registration played any role in my case.

Like someone suggested, asking Skoda dealers for agent reference is the safest bet. Though I had asked an agent, but eventually ended up going myself, as the time pressure and ambiguity were too much to be left at the agent's mercy. Should you still want to speak to this guy and understand the process, DM me and I will share the details.

Good luck
Diesel_Drives is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th June 2021, 14:05   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel_Drives View Post
I was in a similar predicament last year, when first lockdown was imposed and I had to register an out of state of BS4 vehicle (coincidentally it was Skoda for me too) in Delhi state.

Like someone suggested, asking Skoda dealers for agent reference is the safest bet. Though I had asked an agent, but eventually ended up going myself, as the time pressure and ambiguity were too much to be left at the agent's mercy. Should you still want to speak to this guy and understand the process, DM me and I will share the details.

Good luck
Thanks man. This is really helpful, PMing you separately. I already have spoken to an agent courtesy a fellow BHPian. As of now my plan of action is:
  1. Reach Delhi by Sunday evening
  2. On Monday, visit the concerned RTO (Sheikh Sarai in my case, which apparently has shifted to Sarai Kale Khan now) at 8:30am or as soon as it opens
  3. Ask around and understand if I can do this job myself. Plenty of other BHPians in other states have done it themselves. Will carry all documents in a file along
  4. If it doesn't work or I need help, take help from one of the agents
  5. If I find something difficult to pull off; abort the visit and ask a Delhi-based Skoda dealer for help

I'll keep this thread updated on how this unfolds coming Monday.
greenh0rn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th June 2021, 13:42   #13
BHPian

Quote:

Hence my questions:

Hi Greenhorn, valid questions there. I'll be able to throw some light on this. In my line of work (online new car sales), we move a lot of cars between cities and states with temp and permanent registration requirements.

Here's what you need to do:

Get these documents from your KL dealer:

1. Original Invoice
2. Insurance copies (no original here, just a print that you can take on your own)
3. TWO sets of FORM-20 documents that they would have generated. This needs to be signed by you (since it's company-owned, ensure you have a FOR seal) and by the bank that funded you (if there is one). They can send you the FORM 20 document and you can print them and get signatures
4. IF there's a loan involved, you'll need a letter from the bank addressed to the RTO.
5. FORM 19 / Certificate of Temp Registration in Original
6. FORM 21 or Sale Certificate in Original
7. FORM 22 or Emission/weight compliance document in Original
8. Manufacturer Invoice (This is not the same as your car's invoice, this is issued by the manufacturer to the dealer - in some states, this is not needed). Dealers don't easily share this as there'd be a difference between this price and said ex-showroom value.
9. Take 4-5 passport size photographs of the person signing the FORM-20 doc.

The above are the documents you'd need to register your car at any RTO.

About your questions:
1. Would DL RTO allow registration for expired temp registration?
Of course. You can register the car anyway as long as you have the valid docs. With VAHAN, everything is centralised. VAHAN pre-calculates tax based on the VIN as well.

As of now, mParivahan says that there should be no penalties till 31/6/2021, but be prepared for a few thousands in penalty.

We had to register a customer's car in Chennai last week for a Kia Sonet we sourced from Pondicherry. The temp registration expired when Chennai went into lockdown in May. We registered the car this week but had to pay some penalties due to expired temp registration. This came up in VAHAN and goes to the government. You'd get a receipt for this.

In your case, you're better off moving this with an RTO agent. But given expired documents, his 'service charge' could be a bit higher than normal.

I'm presuming this question has come to your mind because of the expired TR. You technically don't need a temp registration renewal. I don't think there is any such thing. You can register with the expired TR itself.

You can calculate your road tax on VAHAN. This should give you the accurate amount, but I have personally noticed some tiny differences in the actuals. Not sure if DL has different tax slabs for individuals and entities.

About the payment - there's no RTGS/cheque involvement. There are two ways of doing this:
1. Pay via DD, but here you have to pay the amount rounded off to the higher value if there are decimals involved. If the DD Value is lower or has decimals, then you have to get another DD. Road tax payment according to RTO can only have one transaction.

2. The easier method is to ask for a user ID and one-time password. Your RTO agent can help you get these. This can be only be given post data entry work at the RTO. With this information, you can log in to VAHAN and pay up the road tax displayed there using net banking / cards / etc.

Since its a company purchase, I'd be wary of using corporate net banking. Transfer the funds to your personal account and get the payment through. SBI works best.

Feel free to DM me if you need any help.

Last edited by vigvr : 11th June 2021 at 13:47. Reason: Making list number changes, some typos.
vigvr is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 11th June 2021, 14:07   #14
BHPian

I had done the same for my i20 back in 2012 (car bought in Kolkata but registered in Bangalore).

Ideally, the temp registration has to be valid for you to be able to step out of the dealership's compound, let alone getting it "re-registered" in a diff state. But then maybe things are different due to covid, but I doubt if it could be done.

Quote:
Dear fellow BHPians, need your advice regarding my new car registration in Delhi.

TL: DR;
1. Car purchased from Kerala on April 16, need to register in Delhi
2. The temp registration was valid for a month and expired on May 15, during lockdown
3. Kerala is still under lockdown and my dealer says he can only check for renewal of temp reg. once lockdown relaxes
4. I am going to be in Delhi next week, and want to register the car. Is it doable?
5. As I expect the registration fee to be around 4L, how do we make this payment instantly? I can do a RTGS from bank but it will take either a visit to nearest bank branch, or 1 day for net banking after cooling off period. Any advice welcome.

Long story:

I live in Delhi and run my own company. In mid April, I bought one of the last few Octavia RS245 from a dealer in Kozhikode (EVM Skoda). I flew down to Kozhikode, took the delivery on April 16 (the dealer got me temp registration on the same day), and then drove back to Delhi.

On April 19, Delhi went into lockdown, and I was informed government offices are also shut. Also, Delhi's Covid situation was worsening and on May 2, after repeated pleas from my family, I drove to Amritsar in my other car (Polo GT TSI), and have been here ever since.

Delhi relaxed its lockdown from this week and I am guessing the RTO office would be also open now. I also expect more relaxations from next week. Accordingly, I am planning to visit Delhi for this work, and get the car registered. In the meantime, the temp registration issued by Kerala RTO would have expired on May 15 (one month after April 16).

Hence my questions:

Last edited by ssjr0498 : 11th June 2021 at 14:18.
Old 11th June 2021, 14:17   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigvr View Post
Hi Greenhorn, valid questions there. I'll be able to throw some light on this. In my line of work (online new car sales), we move a lot of cars between cities and states with temp and permanent registration requirements.

Here's what you need to do:

Feel free to DM me if you need any help.
Thanks so much, this is really useful! Really appreciate it!

I have one question - the papers given to me by KL dealer do not have Manufacturer invoice...do I really need it for Delhi? The big problem for me is that Kerala is still under heavy lockdown and the dealer won't be able to do anything, no matter how much I persuade.

Last edited by greenh0rn : 11th June 2021 at 14:18.
greenh0rn is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed