Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2021, 11:49   #31
BHPian

Re: Additional Collectors in Telangana get Kia Carnivals

Govt. should set the tone for EVs. Regardless of their travel requirements, they should all be given the beautiful Mahindra E-Verito. That's all they deserve.
This is nothing but a show of muscle by these babus, they need you to feel small when they come to shut you up - period. And, thankfully it works for most when we are bullied by the Faartchuuuners on the roads.
Incredibly shameless!
pratyaksh is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2021, 11:49   #32
BANNED

A Bolero is more than enough to tackle the rural hinterlands. Why an Innova??

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
Not sure of the need, but then compared to giving Fortuners, the Carnivals makes more sense. Then again, trips to hinterlands with poor roads...

But does anyone really need anything more than an Innova?

Mod Note: Please avoid typing like..... this......

Last edited by ampere : 23rd June 2021 at 12:00.
overtaker is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2021, 12:57   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
https://www.deccanchronicle.com/nati...ancial-cr.html

Not sure which variant but I assume these are mid or top spec. Probably first instance in country where govt. officials get fleet of Carnival.
My two cents on this

1. The officers are given expensive gifts and I am here trying to fulfil my "luxurious dreams" after allocating much of my expenses to necessities, post tax

2. I would at least be happy if they have given Tata or Mahindra cars rather than Korean cars. If the Govt itself is not interested in buying Indian goods, how will they convince public to "Be Indian, Buy Indian"
Ravi_CK234 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2021, 14:46   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by octane_100 View Post
These Babus don't need anything more than a Bolero to fulfill their official duties.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlet_Rider View Post
More specifically they should be given Boleros having their suspensions replaced with fixed solid metal supports so that they get a real idea of the road conditions.
While I totally understand your frustration on the state of roads being in poor shape and existence of bribes etc. I personally do not agree with generalisation on how they work and what sort of low-key facilities need to be provided. I have seen how difficult their (and other govt. officials including police, health officials, electricity/water departments etc.) jobs can get. I am from Kerala and those who have been watching news would know the floods we had couple of years ago and the stress around pandemic. Most of these officials have unimaginable work load and responsibilities to deal with on a daily basis.

My close friend and neighbour is a district collector's driver in Kerala. I know that there is a ton of travel involved (30 to 50k kms a year) in their jobs. They also end up working while being on the road or sometimes will need to spend nights in car while travelling from one part of the state to another part.

While I have no specific comment on whether Kira carnival is the right choice or not, there is no doubt that they deserve good cars (and roads of-course) to keep up and be healthy to be able to serve the community and people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravi_CK234 View Post
My two cents on this

2. I would at least be happy if they have given Tata or Mahindra cars rather than Korean cars. If the Govt itself is not interested in buying Indian goods, how will they convince public to "Be Indian, Buy Indian"
In my view, a fair process is what is needed. That means that there is a transparent quotation process and a selection process based on guidelines set. As far as guidelines are met, anyone should be able to be submit a quote and be a part of the process. I don't think it should be government's job to influence buying decisions of public or to promote 'Indian' companies. Government should probably worry more about the quality of products. Once again as far as guidelines are met and process are followed, I think Kia, or other companies operating by the law of the land have same right as Tata to sell their products and participate in government’s bids/quotes. While governments promote foreign investments, what’s the point if same government says not to buy their products? Seems ironic to me.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 23rd June 2021 at 20:48. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please edit your previous post and add contents if reposting within 30 minutes. Thanks!
dileepcm is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2021, 15:14   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dileepcm View Post

While I have no specific comment on whether Kira carnival is the right choice or not, there is no doubt that they deserve good cars (and roads of-course) to keep up and be healthy to be able to serve the community and people.
I have to agree on this part. DC's are IAS officers and majority(if not all) put in lot of efforts to get things going. Of course they have their limits and thanks to politicians, its not an easy job. However the timing of making a 10Cr transaction and getting a car which may not suite the requirements is a downer.
PrideRed is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2021, 15:28   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
Out of curiosity, what are the job responsibilities of a "Collector"? Local taxes and stuff like that?
In Delhi, UP, Haryana and Punjab at least (I'm sure it's the same for all other states also, though), the powers of a Collector, Deputy Commissioner and District Magistrate are vested in the same person. So, this person is responsible for maintenance of law & order in the district, as also overall responsible for all government schemes in the district in some way or the other. In many places (especially where commissionerate system has not been introduced), he writes the ACR (the annual appraisal) for that District's Superintendent of Police.

In simpler words, this is who the government suspends when riots break out.

The job definitely requires a comfortable car. Everyone who has said they do not deserve anything above a bolero are simply ignorant.
N.A.GTC is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2021, 15:29   #37
BHPian

There definitely is a component of PR work from Kia's side in this whole fiasco! I agree with the general sentiment that a Kia Carnival is a little over the top for a government official (however high ranked). Kia definitely will benefit from the fact that a lot of 'important people' are seen in their Carnivals!

Kia has their plant in Telangana, don't they? I won't be surprised that Kia wants to keep the state government & the administrators happy. Little bit of "I scratch your back, you scratch mine when the time comes" going on there for sure!
Geo_Ipe is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2021, 15:41   #38
BHPian

That is purely dependent on state legislature. Secretaries To the Govt of India (Senior most Civil Servants) travel in Humble SX4s and Ciaz. Even cabinet Ministers travel in Ciaz except very few like PM, Home Minister and Defence Minister etc.

I find it amusing that in States, entry level IAS ( DMs are only 5-8 Years into the service) are traveling in Innovas, Fortuners, and Carnivals (almost Half Crore Cars!) and these states cry foul all that time that they aren't getting enough funds from the centre. Even Indian Army has to do with Safari Stormes (a very Humble car as compared to Fortuner)

In Delhi the DMs and DCs are not supposed to use Innovas Crystas (Innovas are purchased for QRTs(Quick reaction teams), but QRTs are provided old Vans/older Innovas and DMs are enjoying Innova Crystas.

As many BHPIANs have already stated; A Bolero/Gypsy is all they need in Rural areas and Ciaz for urban areas. Anything above them is waste of tax payer's money.

The judiciary is all together a different matter, as they are independent, but they could also do with less spending on cars.
buntee90 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2021, 15:47   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post
Kia has their plant in Telangana, don't they? I won't be surprised that Kia wants to keep the state government & the administrators happy. Little bit of "I scratch your back, you scratch mine when the time comes" going on there for sure!
Nope.

The Kia Plant is in Ananthapuram, Andhra Pradesh . And AP Secretariat was using KIA Electric Cars way back in 2015 ( not anymore - their charging station looked dilapidated recently)
poised2drive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2021, 16:08   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dileepcm View Post
In my view, a fair process is what is needed
Many such purchases are discretionary as they are seen as expenses similar to the cost of business.

Even if they are 'forced to go through the bidding/selection process, they would happily add the following cluases.

- Carmaker brand should have three letters and should only use I,A, K
- Vehicle should have a name that rhymes with festival

While states are grappling to arrange finances to pay out salaries and bear the vaccination and medical expenses of citizens, these expenses are simply put cruel and insensitive.
Thilak29 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2021, 16:48   #41
AZT
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Do we know how much the Telangana Government pay for these Kia's? I am sure it will be a lot lower than what we pay for them. Maybe they went with a Kia as they could get it down to the price of a Toyota Innova.
I had this same question. Since this is public expenditure there should be a way to find out. RTI can't be the only way to get this information.

Does anyone know if this information is available somewhere.
Old 23rd June 2021, 17:37   #42
BHPian

Nothing short of a miracle will change the mind set of the current indian society, which is currently generally bereft of ethics and principles. Right from the top to the bottom, more or less we all are guilty of it. Gifting such vehicles is just one instance of such a behaviour.
Innova is the right vehicle for such jobs.
Old 23rd June 2021, 18:26   #43
BHPian

In such economic crisis WagonR should have been the perfect car as it’s spacious and efficient since it’s being paid by taxpayers’ pocket.
divyadeeptsi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2021, 18:46   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowflyer23 View Post
Honest armed forces senior officials are questioned for using gypsy and Scorpios for official work, the units are asked for travel details and fuel expenses to the last drop. On the other hand we have these babus getting luxury vehicles which as we all know will be used more for their private use than official work.

Here in Delhi, even retired bureaucrats use Govt. official vehicles (mostly crystas) daily, the sad reality of our country.
Sir with all due respect if there are honest armed forces senior personnel then there are honest babus too. Their travels and vehicles are also governed by central govt rules which have ample checks and balances in place to take care of spends. They are also liable to audits which are quite strong in their own sense. Mostly babus dont get similar fame and laurels as their counterparts in armed forces do.
Fuldagap is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2021, 20:03   #45
BHPian

Kerala is heading the EV way. After the huge fleet of nexon EVs for the MVD dept, I keep seeing more Nexon EV's and Hyundai Kona's being used by various departments of the state government. A good move in my opinion. The Carnival is definitely an unwanted splurge especially at such a time. I remember hearing from a friend of mine, how officers posted in Telangana get extra perks including iPads and land in prime locations at a very cheap rate.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 23rd June 2021 at 21:00. Reason: Typos corrected. Please proof read your post before submitting. Thanks.
Maverick_4662 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks