Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2021, 14:49   #1
Senior - BHPian

2021 Mini 3-Door, Convertible & JCW Hatch launched in India

Mini has launched the 2021 3-Door Hatch, Convertible and John Cooper Works Hatch in India. The cars are imported via the CBU route and are priced at Rs. 38 lakh, Rs. 44 lakh and Rs. 45.50 lakh (ex-showroom) respectively.

2021 Mini 3-Door, Convertible & JCW Hatch launched in India-01-mini-3door-hatch-1.jpg

Mini has updated its iconic range of cars for the 2021 model year. The cars get a large radiator grille that stretches over the bumper, giving them a distinct look. The rear features new LED tail lamps with the 'Union Jack' detailing and a redesigned bumper.

2021 Mini 3-Door, Convertible & JCW Hatch launched in India-02-mini-3door-hatch.jpg

On the inside, the Mini range gets a new steering wheel, a digital instrument cluster and a redesigned gear selector. The circular centre console with the 8.8-inch touchscreen infotainment head-unit has been retained. The cars are equipped with sports seats that use 100% recycled material for its surfaces.

2021 Mini 3-Door, Convertible & JCW Hatch launched in India-03-mini-3door.jpeg

The Mini 3-Door Hatch and Mini Convertible are powered by a 2.0-litre, 4-cylinder turbo-petrol engine that produces 189 BHP and 280 Nm @ 1,350-4,600 rpm. The engine is mated to a 7-speed dual-clutch automatic transmission. The Hatch can accelerate from 0 - 100 km/h in 6.7 seconds, while the Convertible takes 7.1 seconds to reach the 100 km/h mark.

2021 Mini 3-Door, Convertible & JCW Hatch launched in India-05-mini-convertible.jpg

2021 Mini 3-Door, Convertible & JCW Hatch launched in India-06-mini-convertible.jpg

Mini John Cooper Works

2021 Mini 3-Door, Convertible & JCW Hatch launched in India-07-mini-john-cooper-works-hatch.jpg

The John Cooper Works comes with a new hexagonal grille, front apron with integrated air ducts, side sills and contrasting paint finish for the roof and ORVMs. While 17-inch alloy wheels are offered as standard, dual-tone 18-inch rims are available as an option, exclusively on the John Cooper Works.

2021 Mini 3-Door, Convertible & JCW Hatch launched in India-09-mini-john-cooper-works-hatch.jpeg

The John Cooper Works Hatch is powered by 2.0-litre, 4-pot turbo-petrol motor that is tuned to produce 228 BHP and 320 Nm @ 1,450-4,800 rpm. It is paired with an 8-speed automatic transmission.

The new Mini range comes with features such as Drive Modes, Cruise Control, Park Assistant, Rear View Camera and a head-up display. The optional Mini Wired Package adds a navigation system, wireless charging, Apple CarPlay and a Harmon Kardon audio system. The Mini Excitement Pack features LED interior and ambient lighting with new 'Lounge' and 'Sport' modes.

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 22nd June 2021 at 14:53.
TusharK is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2021, 15:29   #2
BHPian

Re: 2021 Mini 3-Door, Convertible & JCW Hatch launched in India

What I remember is that once you enter the configurator, add another 6-10 lakhs almost reaching 50 mark for the normal 3-door hatch (not JCW). Everything said, its a good car to share your garage if you own any supercars (Urus, 911) or high-end luxury cars (Merc S or G, BMW 7s etc... ).
shashi792 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2021, 15:37   #3
BHPian

Pretty much regular Mini traits. But are we now to get over floating displays and digest floating instrument clusters? First the S, now this :P

Also. I'm not too familiar with Mini design, but doesn't the gear lever and associated bits in the area look like out of the BMWs of the last generation?

Last edited by Arnav612 : 22nd June 2021 at 15:40.
Old 22nd June 2021, 20:22   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnav612 View Post
But are we now to get over floating displays and digest floating instrument clusters? First the S, now this :P
Due to the rounded edges, felt like this floating instrument cluster is better designed and does not seem like a last minute addition. Also this is not fully digital. With the S Class and now the Mini Cooper, who knows if this trend might catch up with the rest of the automobile world ?
2021 Mini 3-Door, Convertible & JCW Hatch launched in India-mini-instrument-cluster.png
Quote:
5” LCD rectangle in the center flanked by two analog gauges.

Last edited by TrackDay : 22nd June 2021 at 20:23.
TrackDay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2021, 22:52   #5
BHPian

cooper S has the DCT and the JCW inherits the 8 speed torque converter. Is it the torque limits of the DCT or are there other reasons too why this is so?

Last edited by megazoid : 22nd June 2021 at 22:54.
Old 23rd June 2021, 12:57   #6
S2K
BHPian

If my information is correct, then in India, Mini is the least expensive convertible car available and please note I that I say "least expensive" and not "cheapest" because the car by itself is quite expensive.

Now I plan to buy a car in this segment several years down the line and somehow, I'm fascinated with the open roof concept. I agree in its utility is limited in Indian context, even lesser than the panoramic sunroof but the way a sunroof makes your ride feel spacious and uplifts the mood, I believe open roof has a charm of its own.

Raises two questions here -
Are there better options available in the market at similar price points?
And is it worth going for a convertible mini instead of, say, a 3 series? Is the open roof, whenever apt conditions present, as charming a thing?
Old 24th June 2021, 12:02   #7
Senior - BHPian

Man, they missed a trick by not selling the JCW GP edition. Those are only very slightly more expensive (originally), a lot quicker, and limited in number. They would have made a much bigger splash (and profit) selling those to well-heeled enthusiasts here.
v1p3r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2021, 19:42   #8
BHPian

I love the new front and rear bumpers with the diffuser on the JCW but the digital dash not so much. I prefer the old-world analog dials on mine.
Old 18th July 2021, 17:16   #9
Senior - BHPian

2021 Minicooper S Convertible review

Old 7th November 2022, 09:56   #10
Team-BHP Support

I had booked an i4, and when it came, suddenly, it didn't appeal, given my intended use case. The car itself is very nice but what will I do with 4-doors. I was looking all over, from M340 to Z4, but either car is not available or not with the colour combinations I preferred.

No particular needs except that taking the larger cars I had every day locally was chaos. Found this one sitting at the Chandigarh dealership. Mini India is not getting supplies for the past few months for most of the CBU models. Lower transfer prices to India from the parent company must be the prime reason though they say due to war and chip shortage.

Overall, I think most people shopping in this segment will need something bigger, and such cars can only be added if you have another one already unless you are single or, at the most, a couple. I had kept a Mini previously, so I was aware of the shortcomings and the benefits so it was an easy decision.

JCW edition has more Bhp than the regular, but as V1p3r mentioned, Mini India missed the trick to get the GP edition. I guess this is also due to 100% vs 60% customer duties. The parent company would not have agreed to give that car under 40K USD, and selling a JCW- GP at over 80 lac was never going to happen.

Super easy purchase process and the car was delivered to my home from the Chandigarh dealership. Overall I feel the workings of the dealerships have improved everywhere. Full marks to Krishna Mini for this.

I did go for a short drive yesterday, and the car, indeed, feels peppier than my last one. The only change I have done until now is switching the tyres from RFTs to PS4 with a size-up profile. No monies were paid for this exchange as RFTs costs more
Attached Thumbnails
2021 Mini 3-Door, Convertible & JCW Hatch launched in India-whatsapp-image-20221101-1.01.11-pm-1.jpeg  

2021 Mini 3-Door, Convertible & JCW Hatch launched in India-whatsapp-image-20221101-1.01.12-pm-1.jpeg  

2021 Mini 3-Door, Convertible & JCW Hatch launched in India-whatsapp-image-20221101-1.01.11-pm-2.jpeg  

2021 Mini 3-Door, Convertible & JCW Hatch launched in India-whatsapp-image-20221101-1.01.11-pm.jpeg  

Turbanator is offline   (64) Thanks
Old 11th November 2022, 22:26   #11
Senior - BHPian

Big fan of the Minis and this particular version is nothing but a prized jewel. A proper Mini. Beautiful. Congratulations on selecting a bonkers car in fantastic color.
amol4184 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2022, 22:35   #12
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
I
I did go for a short drive yesterday, and the car, indeed, feels peppier than my last one. The only change I have done until now is switching the tyres from RFTs to PS4 with a size-up profile. No monies were paid for this exchange as RFTs costs more
Well done and many congratulations on the Mini. Simply the best little hot hatch in the world at this moment! PS4’s are indeed lovely. And the new Minis all have 17 inch rims. Please do share the details of the actual tyre upsize.
These new Coopers with the BMW twin scroll turbos are going to be much much easier to maintain here in India that’s for sure.
All the best and here’s to many happy motoring miles in the Mini!
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2022, 13:25   #13
BHPian

Hearty congratulations @Turbantor on acquiring this lovely pocket rocket. Wish you an exciting and trouble-free ownership experience.

I had the pleasure of driving a good friends Cooper S (with factory JCW body kit) extensively in UAE, it never failed to make me smile every single time i took the wheel! I can only imagine how much livelier a proper JCW feels like!

2021 Mini 3-Door, Convertible & JCW Hatch launched in India-mini.jpg
Nair.V8 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th November 2022, 15:44   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I had booked an i4, and when it came, suddenly, it didn't appeal, given my intended use case. The car itself is very nice but what will I do with 4-doors. I was looking all over, from M340 to Z4, but either car is not available or not with the colour combinations I preferred.
Wow! Congratulations and looking forward to a great initial ownership report from you. Had driven the car shortly when it came for a test drive session for our biker group in Coorg. Super fun and peppy the car is.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2022, 13:32   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Super easy purchase process and the car was delivered to my home from the Chandigarh dealership. Overall I feel the workings of the dealerships have improved everywhere. Full marks to Krishna Mini for this.

Congratulation!
Stunning Looking car.

Could you share the options sheet/spec via PM if possible?

Thank you.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks