Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th July 2021, 11:09   #16
BHPian

Re: Tata Harrier XZA+ | Build Quality issues & unprofessional behavior by Tata Motors in resolving t

Every time I try and convince myself to at least look at Nexon as a possible upgrade, something of this sort pops up. I don't know why the universe does not want me to get along Tata Motor's products.

I hope some one from Tata higher ups are looking at this thread & are trying to get things moving for you.
Engine_Roars is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th July 2021, 11:09   #17
BHPian

Re: Tata Harrier XZA+ | Build Quality issues & unprofessional behavior by Tata Motors in resolving t

I bought XZA+ recently. my infotainment has 15.3 version. i think showroom missed the update while delivery. I have driven close to 400 kms. I have not faced any issue including hang of infotainment. its working flawless.
Endofdayz is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th July 2021, 11:18   #18
BHPian

I have plans to upgrade my car by this year end, and Harrier is/was at the top of the list. What a handsome car - makes me gawk at it on the road. But every time a thread like this crops up, its brings the Harrier down on the list. I hoped the 2021 Harrier had these niggles/issues sorted, but looks like the horror stories continues for owners.
New2Carz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th July 2021, 11:21   #19
BHPian

Kaushal - it is sad to see you facing such issues despite paying over 20 lacs for a car. Tata Motors should realize that their customer profile has changed significantly -- they are not selling to taxi and truck operators anymore. The Tata Group / TAS sadly has babudom that rivals the administrative services in slack and SYA attitude.

On Visteon - after using the system in friends' cars / demo cars, I suspect the big issue is that the SoC simply doesn't have enough RAM or computing power to support all of the onboard computing requirements + android auto / carplay + primary 8.8" screen + 4" digital screen in the console. If you note, the non-digital console version of the car with a smaller 7" primary screen doesn't face nearly as many issues.

This problem seems to be accentuated by poor software optimization + unnecessary graphic elements that eat up more memory.

Are you using a Xiaomi / OnePlus phone by chance? Some Xiaomi / OnePlus phones are known to cause issues with car infotainment systems especially when connected through Android Auto. Also try using an Amazon Basics or OEM Android cable when using Android Auto.
andafunda is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 6th July 2021, 14:06   #20
Senior - BHPian

Re: TATA Harrier XZA+ Build Quality Issues and Unprofessional Behavior by TATA Motors in Resolving t

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushal-pandya View Post
Hi all,
I started raising complaints about various issues from the 3rd day after the delivery of the car around 20th November 2020. Getting them accepted as issues/problems was/is like trying to book a tatkal ticket from IRCTC during the festive season!
A thread on the forum and saying unsavoury stuff on Twitter is the only way to gain the attention of Tata’s higher ups.

Earlier versions of Tata’s service app had an option of lodging a complaint against the dealer and apparently the higher ups used to get notified of the same. This has now been removed. Cannot understand why.

Tata, if you’re reading this thread, seriously get your act together. This is just not how you treat your premium customers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTsunny View Post
I have tweeted to Sir Ratan Tata and Tata Motors cars with a link to this thread, asked to help you out.

Also, sent email to customer care @ Tata Motors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pk1972 View Post
I am having a hard time getting my wife's Nano serviced. Every listed number of the service center is NOT of service center but either showroom or accessories - they will give another number(s) and very difficult to get through the same. Finally decided to go with an outside garage for servicing.

Don't think will buy any Tata car again!
When our family bought a Tata Zest from Concorde Motors (The Tata Motors company store), it was the same treatment. They couldn't care less about the issues we faced. When we complained of any issue, they had 2 canned responses:
Response 1: Its the same with every Zest
Response 2: No one else is complaining about this

It was a frustrating experience and repeated emails, tweets, visits yielded nothing. Then we decided to say tata to Tata. Since then, we only see the cars and drool over them in the newspaper. I lust for the Black editions, knowing fully well that I will never ever buy a Tata car again.

The biggest issue as rightly pointed out by so many others, is the sheer lack of any customer service orientation in their organization. They simply don't care about their customers, and while that attitude may have worked in the past, today it won't, there is enough choice in the market. We don't have to put up with this level of apathy from auto manufacturers now.

Last but not the least, to all the Tata fanboys, every time you defend the indefensible, you merely give Tata motors another excuse to NOT get its act together. Why would you want an organization that you love to be so pathetic in the way it treats it own customers?
Lalvaz is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 6th July 2021, 15:26   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

I can think of the following replacements.

1. Infotainment system and its modules - how is the IRA doing? does this model have it?
2. Wiring harness (recurrent problem in Tata).
3. Brake switch, usually a fairly cheap part, not a problem in a manual vehicle as its role is limited, but on an AT it can be a show stopper.
4. Brake disc \ pads.

Getting Tata to diagnose and then get necessary approvals for their replacement in warranty is going to be some work, dealers will try to run away from it usually because of that, I don't blame those guys for it.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2021, 15:45   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
All the hard work Tata put in the Nexon & Hexa.
All the hard work put in under the able leadership of Mr. Mistry I am starting to believe. Both were launched or developed in his tenure I believe. Or maybe I am over thinking to expect a Chairman to oversee quality and reliability issues of 2 cars in his huge conglomerate but we never know. I love Rajanji and what their family has done for our country but maybe a back seat would have been lot more comfortable and profitable for them.
krishnakarthik1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2021, 16:53   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
As per understanding, 90% of the problems faced by the OP, are related to the Infotainment system.

Why doesn't the Manufacturer provide a replacement of the same?

Secondly, why doesn't the Manufacturer throw out the vendor, and bring in someone more trustworthy/reliable.
They are not able to figure out what is causing these issues!! Till now they have replaced the Silver Box twice and updated the software five times but no luck.

Regarding the Manufacture quality issues, I asked the dealership guys and the 3rd point escalation person (TATA Motors Employee of CustomerCare) multiple times over email to either raise these quality issues with Visteon or to TATA Higher mgmt or if he doesn't want to do it then help me or tell me whom should I contact to raise them. But that person has always ignored that question or given irrelevant replies.

I highlighted this behavior to Dimple Mehta when I wrote to him the 2nd time in May this year and asking for a permanent resolution. But in the end, the same person was assigned to help me out against whom I had escalated to him!!

I have spent almost 24 hours with the dealership and technicians to help them get all the info, explaining them different scenarios, when it fails, etc. I want to help TATA and Visteon improve their quality, but TATA Motors is not interested in it.

Quote:
Note from Support : Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) when quoting multiple posts.
Thanks, just figured out how completely how to use quotes. I was wondering how to select a specific part in the quote. Got it now.

Quote:
If you note, the non-digital console version of the car with a smaller 7" primary screen doesn't face nearly as many issues.
Yes, when the first time the Visteon (Mount Technician) visited to collect debug logs, software upgrades, and understanding the issues, we tested it against all the variants. We did observe that it's not happening in 7" hardware. Not sure if this observation reached the concerned person. This was probably Jan-Feb 2021

Quote:
Are you using a Xiaomi / OnePlus phone by chance? Some Xiaomi / OnePlus phones are known to cause issues with car infotainment systems especially when connected through Android Auto. Also try using an Amazon Basics or OEM Android cable when using Android Auto.
Yes I have a OnePlus 7t and I also use my mom's MI A3 to show that the issues are not limited to one phone. Now for all the issues that I report to them, I take video evidence on OnePlus, MI A3, and Samsung M31s. To eliminate this reason of "phone". Also one of my friends has Nexon and OnePlus. And I also ask him to confirm the behavior of all the issues that I report. Surprisingly, Nexon (Harman) system is able to handle all the updates (including OnePlus) smoothly but Visteon requires an S/W upgrade for any small update. I used the same OnePlus 7t with Nexon for 6 months and didn't face any issue related to Android Auto.

Last edited by Aditya : 6th July 2021 at 19:44. Reason: Back to back posts merged
kaushal-pandya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th July 2021, 22:02   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, when the first time the Visteon (Mount Technician) visited to collect debug logs, software upgrades, and understanding the issues, we tested it against all the variants. We did observe that it's not happening in 7" hardware. Not sure if this observation reached the concerned person. This was probably Jan-Feb 2021
I suspected as much. Someone at Tata Motors got Visteon to provide a low enough quote that they simply lowered the SoC specs. The most likely explanation for the primary screening hanging / console screen blanking is that the SoC just can't handle the load.

Any Safari owners here who face similar issues? If no, then the specs may have gotten a silent bump.
andafunda is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th July 2021, 22:38   #25
BHPian

Just a thought, if they consider any vendor supplied component as third party then what is the 'Harrier Product' left of?
  • Infotainment - Visteon and not 'Harrier Product'
  • Engine issues - that's Fiat, not 'Harrier Product'
  • Autobox issues - Hyundai to blame, not 'Harrier Product'
  • Seat Leather issues
  • Airbags didn't open, that too isn't 'Harrier Product', or made in house
  • Platform - JLR to be blamed if at all, or maybe Ford?

Thumb rule of outsourcing: I have trusted the best, even if they deliver the worst, its my collar that customer has to get hold of. I'm sure parent company of TCS does know it.

Tata needs to understand playing in 20+ lakh segment is something really sensitive, and not just a car but lot of parameters come into play. But if the car itself is not properly quality checked, then nothing can help.

Harrier/Altroz is on top of my list, depending on my budget planning/allocation. Recurring incidents like this are scary indeed
PrasunBannerjee is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 7th July 2021, 01:58   #26
Senior - BHPian

kaushal-pandya,
Sorry to hear your plight. I hope this issue gets resolved to your satisfaction.

I guess that "the more things change, the more they stay the same." Tata seems to have made progress with the Hexa, but it now seems like a one step forward, two steps back situation.
Quote:
"Sir, only you are facing the problem. No one else is complaining from all over India. And these issues are not happening all the time. You can manage with them. Why raise the issue?"
Reading this, I'm glad my parents did not to buy a Tiago as a secondary car. It is not something limited to a particular showroom employee, it is cultural.

@mods: Maybe time to have a dedicated Harrier/Safari niggles thread like the XUV500: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...solutions.html (Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions)

I feel sad to suggest this, but one needs to call a spade a spade.

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 7th July 2021 at 02:01.
landcruiser123 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th July 2021, 02:06   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Yes I have a OnePlus 7t and I also use my mom's MI A3 to show that the issues are not limited to one phone. ... Surprisingly, Nexon (Harman) system is able to handle all the updates (including OnePlus) smoothly but Visteon requires an S/W upgrade for any small update.
There may be a way to fix 90% of the problems yourself - get an iPhone and use carplay!
vaibhav27 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th July 2021, 09:01   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
When the Harrier was launched, just 1 drive and I knew Tata rushed it to market before the car was production-ready. It felt so unsorted and had so many rough edges. What pains me to see is that niggles are being reported on even 2020-21 cars. All the hard work Tata put in the Nexon & Hexa goes to waste when they again get back that "unreliable" image thanks to problematic Harriers & Safaris.

What is even more worrisome is how these cars are going to age! If a 1-year old Harrier has so many issues, what about when its 4 years old? Or 8? The used car market is brutal on problematic cars and this will bite Harrier owners in resale value.

The infotainment system is obviously buggy, but what's to explain the "car not starting" issue? Or the brakes making sounds like a truck? Even our test car had problems with the keyless entry & security system. IIRC, the keyless entry didn't work and I had to manually press the unlock button to enter the car.

One thing to sell a problematic machine, even worse when the customer is made to run around. What a difference between two companies of the same group. You can pay 5000 bucks for a dinner at the Taj Hotel or 10000 bucks for a room, and you'll be treated like a king. But pay 20-lakhs to Tata Motors and God help you!
You just read my mind. Buying a Tata car is my first & will be my last mistake; I'll never invest in one & will recommend others not to do so. From the day I've owned this lemon of a product, I'm saddled with a malfunctioning drive mode & non-working hill descent. In 19 months of ownership, I've visited the SC approximately 6-7 times for the same issue (regular servicing included). Every time they replace some part - once brake switch & the next time a temperature sensor. The SC is clueless & I can't blame them because probably, they wouldn't have been trained enough for a car that was rushed to production.
sanjayrozario is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th July 2021, 09:10   #29

Re: Tata Harrier XZA+ problems & unprofessional behavior by Tata Motors in resolving them

Quote:
Hi all,

I am starting this thread to highlight the build quality issues that I am facing in my Harrier XZA+ 2020 (BS6) model.

In total, I have raised 25 issues out of which, 19 are related to the infotainment system and the rest are related to the Harrier Product. I have been told many times, "Sir, only you are facing the problem. No one else is complaining from all over India. And these issues are not happening all the time. You can manage with them. Why raise the issue?" The list is as below. I request everyone to let me know if you have faced any of the listed issues so that I can show them that the issues are universal and not related to just one car or one person.
Sorry to hear about the problems you are facing. I own Harrier XT Plus variant for almost an year now.

I faced lot of problems with infotainment system-
1. Used to stop responding with apple carplay.
2. With apple carplay, the navigation used to pause for a while. I had to reconnect to bring them back to be in sync.
3. If you switch from reverse-forward gear the infotainment system used to show the footage of the reverse camera for 20-30 seconds before crashing and restarting.

I have video evidence of all these issues. I haven’t tried with Android auto though.
They replaced the ‘silver box’ and updated the software. Things seem to be working fine for now. However I haven’t driven much since they fixed the issue because of the lockdown.

Yes, I also faced the brake vibration issue. At times, when I apply the brakes frequently on bad patches of 40-50 kms, the brake starts to make an unbearable noise, vibrating the floor of the harrier. I drove the vehicle for 30-40 kms with the Tata service manager in my area to reproduce the issue. However the response from their side wasn’t positive. They just cleaned the brake pads and handed it over to me.

Having said this, I faced several other issues with the way vehicle is handled at the service station. Every time I see some new scratches just because.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 7th July 2021 at 12:36. Reason: Thanks for sharing.Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers
panda1707 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 7th July 2021, 09:32   #30
BHPian

Re: Tata Harrier XZA+ problems & unprofessional behavior by Tata Motors in resolving them

My neighbour bought a Tata Harrier despite my warnings about the notorious ASS of Tata and he faced so many issues with both the dealer and the car. I specifically asked him to go through various articles in our forum about Tata ownership. Although he had experienced so many problems with his Harrier, he has not shared anything with me. I think he feels ashamed to talk to me about his proud possession.
Rajjay is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks