Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2008, 13:36   #16
BHPian

Thats great and shows real commitment to indian customers. Hope this move forces other mfg to come up with some thing similar not just stupid limited or extended warranty. GM deserves for this.
Old 26th March 2008, 13:44   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Extended warranty is not really warranty and it covers parts which normally do not fail even after 150000kms.
Huh can you elaborate on this Tanveer?
Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Can you cite some vital differences between warranty and extended warranty?
I found not much of a difference in case of Honda.
Exactly, I see no difference in either my Fiesta's or my Safari's extended warranties when compared to the original. Am I missing something here? I thought "extended" is as the term suggests & did not have any "exclusions".
Old 26th March 2008, 13:48   #18
Senior - BHPian

Extended warranty typically only covers the drivetrain and a few other parts which typically never fail. Atleast thats the case with Mitsubishi. Not sure of the other brands.
Old 26th March 2008, 13:52   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
Extended warranty typically only covers the drivetrain and a few other parts which typically never fail. Atleast thats the case with Mitsubishi. Not sure of the other brands.
Well, I mentioned two brands where that's not the case. And I think Anandpadhye mentioned one more.....so I'm not sure if its "typical"
Old 26th March 2008, 13:53   #20
Senior - BHPian

^^Have you read the fine print of extended warranty? Tata's website says this

Quote:
Extended Warranty

A period of 2+1 years or 150,000 Kms. whichever is earliest
A period of 2+2 years or 150,000 Kms. whichever is earliest

This insures all parts of the vehicle against mechanical breakdown in accordance with the terms and conditions as mentioned in the vehicle warranty booklet
More or less means it covers only the drivetrain.

Last edited by reignofchaos : 26th March 2008 at 13:55.
Old 26th March 2008, 13:57   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

It's not the case with Maruti. I got my brake pads changed after 2 years on the extended warranty. The valve cover gasket was also changed a month back on extended warranty.
Old 26th March 2008, 13:58   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Good morning mate, I have the extended warranty booklets of both the vehicles I've mentioned, I'm not sure what your point is? How does it cover only the drivetrain?

I haven't paid an extra rupee for any items changed on these cars other than regular consumables - I've had brake discs, brake shoes, pads & clutch changed under warranty. Just to mention a few items.

Lol. I think you are assuming things based on your Mitsubishi experience. Or maybe even that you're just assuming. Do check it out.

PS: PM me in case you'd like scanned copies of my extended warranty booklets

Last edited by suman : 26th March 2008 at 14:09.
Old 26th March 2008, 14:03   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
General Motors IS the largest auto manufacturer in the world. GTO

Small correction. GM is the second largest. Either ways, this makes the pain of owning a GM product easier and will make others situp and take notice, of course subject to the fine print...
Old 26th March 2008, 14:22   #24
BHPian

Last month I had gone to Bharti - GM showroom at Jogeshwari (E) to td magnum TCDi. I was surprised to find that the offers which they present in media are not applicable on diesel. They are only applicable on Petrol cars. The 1 lakh KM offer for 3 yrs was available only on petrol.

On Diesel there was 2 yrs warranty and no extended warranty offered. Upon asking what do I do with 12 Lakhs car without warranty or Do i sell that in 2 yrs, they said, they have AMC schemes, for which he was not even ready to share the details.

So I think GM is confident about there petrol cars but not Diesel. How would you expect a person to buy a car worth 12 lakhs on road and live with that without warranty for 2 yrs?

So is this still valid or they hv some warranty or service offers for Diesel as well?
Old 26th March 2008, 14:56   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I found not much of a difference in case of Honda.
Your extended warranty comes with a booklet on what is covered. If any part fails, and its not mentioned in the book, it will not be covered.
Old 26th March 2008, 15:47   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think what is meant is that warranty is for free but extended warranty is against payment. For example, Honda gives a standard warranty for 2 yrs/40K, but also offers an extended warranty for payment.

It has been proven that in most cases, extended warranties are not worthwhile because the things covered in extended warranty are normally the things that do not broken down. In industry parlance, `the odds are that what's covered won't fail'. As tsk said, best way to know is to read the warranty book. Even a covered part is usually replaced if it goes prematurely during its expected lifetime, suggesting that it is associated with some hidden defect. Now who decides it, whether the malfunctioning or non-functioning part has become so in `normal' course or `prematurely'.

Extended warranties also usually do not cover normal wear items, such as brake pads, shock absorbers, tyres, belts, etc.

Best way is to buy cars which have a proven record.
Old 26th March 2008, 19:50   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Good morning mate, I have the extended warranty booklets of both the vehicles I've mentioned, I'm not sure what your point is? How does it cover only the drivetrain?

I haven't paid an extra rupee for any items changed on these cars other than regular consumables - I've had brake discs, brake shoes, pads & clutch changed under warranty. Just to mention a few items.

Lol. I think you are assuming things based on your Mitsubishi experience. Or maybe even that you're just assuming. Do check it out.

PS: PM me in case you'd like scanned copies of my extended warranty booklets
Why don't you post those for the benefit of everyone? Also when were these changed? Was it during normal warranty or extended warranty?
Old 27th March 2008, 00:08   #28
Team-BHP Support

normal warranty and extended warranty is same for hyundai/Maruti and Tata. I confirmed this while buying my Alto and when I was looking out for a Santro/Xeta for a friend. The items covered under normal warranty are also covered under extended warranty. There is no difference in them, I checked it with my Alto's 2 warranty books the extended vs the normal one.
Old 27th March 2008, 11:23   #29
Senior - BHPian

Within Hyundai,maruti and TATA maruti offers the warranty at a lower cost.The most amazing thing is that both swift petrol and diesel rates of extended warranty is the same.In Hyundai petrol and diesel warranty cost is different with diesel costing about 3 times that of petrol.
ram
Old 27th March 2008, 12:26   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Why don't you post those for the benefit of everyone? Also when were these changed? Was it during normal warranty or extended warranty?
I will start a separate thread listing it out for the Safari & the Fiesta. Others can come in with their extended warranty terms as well. I think that will put it to bed. Bear with me till I fish out the booklets over the next few days & quote verbatim.

Discs in the Fiesta were changed on extended warranty. Safari clutch, rear brake drums & shoes & front disks were changed during regular warranty but the same are covered in the extended warranty as well - will be clear when I start the thread.

(By the way, all these except the clutch are mentioned in my ownership experiences threads but I don't think you're interested in the non-Cedia ones so i won't bore you)

cheers:

Last edited by suman : 27th March 2008 at 12:28.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks