Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2007, 17:21   #226
Senior - BHPian

You are right BUSA about MUL about handsome plan of using same parts
on multiple vehicles.

MUL has great planning but its products are cheap ones thats unfortunate.

MUL use same engine on Estilo and WagonR and same platform for alto/wagonR/Estilo, this is good idea but when it did it should give quality stuffs for end user thats called 2 way profit making, but I feel MUL thinks only its way and expects indian to fell prey for it.

Only good thing about MUL is its pricing. Its pricing is cheap I agree that.

I didn't check GV yet anyway I am not going to buy it. But I heard the samething because there will be big launches in coming days MUL is getting ready to retain its top spot. I wish TATA-FIAT break it.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 11th July 2007, 17:30   #227
BHPian

If I am not mistaken, GV in all markets is shipping with rear drum brakes and Suzuki is taking a lot of rap for this. And the India model is a full imported cbu, so Indian consumers are not being shortchanged, even the pricing after conversion is not far off from its prices in other markets, I think this is a good deal and as an Indian consumer I wish more manufacturers would do this. Not pass off lower featured or shoddy products just in the Indian market under the guise of "Indian conditions" or overprice their products.
Old 11th July 2007, 19:58   #228
Distinguished - BHPian

raul,
you said it.
whatever product they have in the world, if they are selling same thing here then I am OK.

More than interior, I would really look at good reliable engine, high ground clearance, decent 4x4 with economical maintenance from any SUV right now.

I am not at all rich to afford anything in this price range, but the roads here and near my hometown compell me to look for SUV like thing...

I tried filling up the form online at Maruti Suzuki Grand Vitara but it consistently gives "500 internal server error". So can not register for TD.

I tried to force myself to like Safari and Scorpio but overall quality and non-reliability forced me to look elsewhere. My sincere thanks to all the Safari owners here - many of them helped me with the inside info on the dealer/product/future roadmap etc. but the current state of art of Safari is not up to the mark.
Old 13th July 2007, 15:25   #229
BHPian

Its been a while since the announcement, but no GV's have arrived in bangalore. Has any member had a chance to test drive it?
Old 13th July 2007, 20:01   #230
Senior - BHPian

will be going for one tomorrow.
Old 13th July 2007, 20:54   #231
Distinguished - BHPian

Do post a detailed Test Drive report.
Old 13th July 2007, 21:04   #232
Senior - BHPian

yes will definately post a report.
Old 14th July 2007, 11:56   #233
Senior - BHPian

Have a TD scheduled today afternoon. Will be going with another teambhp member, shuvc. OTR Calcutta is 14.93.
Old 14th July 2007, 15:07   #234
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvd View Post
Have a TD scheduled today afternoon. Will be going with another teambhp member, shuvc. OTR Calcutta is 14.93.
Looking forward to a test report from both the test drives (yours and Merve_extreme).
Old 14th July 2007, 18:24   #235
Senior - BHPian

went to the showroom today,they did not have one ready for test drive,only display.I'll be going back next week.

my apologies for not keeping my word.
Old 14th July 2007, 19:53   #236
Senior - BHPian

Drove the AT Vitara.
Teambhp members present : shuvc, razor4077, blackpearl and yours truly.
We thought that the sales guy was getting the MT but, someone had crashed their demo vehicle during a TD.
Initial impressions
Looks - Subjective. I liked the compact dimensions, good for the city. Fit and finish also quite good.
Interiors - I prefer black/dark trim and the GV delivers. Front seats are quite comfy and so are the rear seats. Seating three is a bit too cozy if the passengers are my size. But for regular sized folks, its okay. Rear visibility is bad with three in the rear seats. The middle head rest also blocks the view.
Engine - On paper, the car seems underpowered. But, on road... MAN! This is a fast car (wrt the power output and the GVW). The engine loves to be revved hard and sounds very good near the red line.
Transmission - Not bad for an auto, not bad indeed! The shifts were happening at 6000 rpm! Generally, autos don't shift that high do they? But, the initial hesitancy is there. The reverse ratio is strange. Nearly crashed into a tree as the car leapt backwards with a small jab on the loud pedal!
Ride and handling - Good compromise between ride and handling. Minimal body roll and potholes were dismissed with thunk-thunk sound. Grip is amazing due to permanent all wheel drive. Didn't get a chance to play with the different ratios as the sales guy didn't know how to engage those. The car had Yokos.
Overall, a good experience. Can't wait to drive the manual

A better and more detailed report will be filed by either shuvc or razor. And the pics are with razor.

@ Mods - Please shift this post if you think a new thread should be started.

Last edited by shuvd : 14th July 2007 at 20:05.
Old 14th July 2007, 20:11   #237
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvd View Post
Drove the AT Vitara.
Teambhp members present : shuvc, razor4077, blackpearl and yours truly.
We thought that the sales guy was getting the MT but, someone had crashed their demo vehicle during a TD.
Initial impressions
Looks - Subjective. I liked the compact dimensions, good for the city. Fit and finish also quite good.
Interiors - I prefer black/dark trim and the GV delivers. Front seats are quite comfy and so are the rear seats. Seating three is a bit too cozy if the passengers are my size. But for regular sized folks, its okay. Rear visibility is bad with three in the rear seats. The middle head rest also blocks the view.
Engine - On paper, the car seems underpowered. But, on road... MAN! This is a fast car (wrt the power output and the GVW). The engine loves to be revved hard and sounds very good near the red line.
Transmission - Not bad for an auto, not bad indeed! The shifts were happening at 6000 rpm! Generally, autos don't shift that high do they? But, the initial hesitancy is there. The reverse ratio is strange. Nearly crashed into a tree as the car leapt backwards with a small jab on the loud pedal!
Ride and handling - Good compromise between ride and handling. Minimal body roll and potholes were dismissed with thunk-thunk sound. Grip is amazing due to permanent all wheel drive. Didn't get a chance to play with the different ratios as the sales guy didn't know how to engage those. The car had Yokos.
Overall, a good experience. Can't wait to drive the manual

A better and more detailed report will be filed by either shuvc or razor. And the pics are with razor.
So, the first TD report. Seems like our statements about the car could be proved wrong?

1. Howz the engine compared to the CRV? Power, NVH, driveability?
2. Since you have mentioned the fit and finish is good. How about the quality of plastics?
3. Shifts at 6000rpm, for an Auto? Man! Sounds fun! Its 4 speed auto, right. Any disadvantages cause of that (Since CRV has 5 speed)
4. Is it car-like to drive, as the CRV?
5. Thinks its a winner at that price level?

shuvc, razor4077, blackpearl and shuvd- looking forward to the answers.
Old 14th July 2007, 20:34   #238
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Fit and finish also quite good
I am sure the quality must be real good since ShuvD drives a Octy which has ver good quality too, so his expectations would be high for the GV.

How was the braking with the rear Discs.
Old 15th July 2007, 00:00   #239
Distinguished - BHPian

Yaa Hoooo....
Finally, some good SUV.

What's this permanent all wheel drive???
Will it spoil the FE?
Old 15th July 2007, 00:22   #240
Senior - BHPian

Continuing @shuvds post on the TD in a new thread here.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/new-in...tml#post500189

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks