Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2007, 09:15   #196
Team-BHP Support

what do you mean removed sensors?
Old 7th July 2007, 09:59   #197
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Removed sensors to loose power? Could you kindly elaborate on that bit?
Old 7th July 2007, 16:06   #198
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
However, they really needed a diesel GV.
Smart! The petrol Vitara is cheaper than the CRV by 4 lacs; even the diesel will be cheaper by 2.5 lacs (guesstimate). Knowing the nice diesels they have access to, its going to redefine the segment.
Old 7th July 2007, 17:38   #199
BHPian

Pricing is too good being it a CBU imagine 6-7 lacks or more of the price just going into Taxes now imagine what would happen if due to this price pressure some one start to assemble SUV in India it would be like 10 -11 lacks on road ,I guess now Toyota should do the trick and come up with fortuner or Mitsubishi comes up with outlander then probably we will see affordable and refined SUV s .That should be same change as we saw in people movers when we graduated from tata sumo and Mahindra bolero to Chevrolet Tavera and Toyota qualis and then finally upto date innova
Old 8th July 2007, 01:13   #200
BHPian

The pricing for this is superb, Maruti is showing true leadership in the industry, after SX4, this is a great move, considering how much more CRV is priced in India and especially considering how close GV and CRV are priced in other markets. This is going to put pressure on Mitsubishi's Outlander and Captiva's plan for India.

Without this aggressive pricing by Maruti I have no doubts they would be priced in the 18-20 range. And this is good for us, the consumer. This is probably one of the few cars that are priced similarly here as they are in other advanced markets and we should applaud that. The CRV at the current price is looking untenable unless you area die hard Honda fan. Why do I get the feeling Maruti is out to get Honda. All the same cheers to Maruti.
Old 8th July 2007, 01:32   #201
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubin2006 View Post
Pricing is too good being it a CBU imagine 6-7 lacks or more of the price just going into Taxes now imagine what would happen if due to this price pressure some one start to assemble SUV in India it would be like 10 -11 lacks on road , ...

I don't think there is anything spectacular about GV pricing. It is cheap compared to CRV at its own home turf.

Escudo pricing
Range; 1.9 - 2.2 M JPY Mean - 2.05 M JPY
Honda CR-V pricing
Range; 2.5 - 3.2 M JPY Mean - 2.85 M JPY

CRV/GV Ratio (JAPAN) = 2.85/2.05 = 1.40
CRV/GV Ratio (INDIA) = 18.2/14.3 = 1.27
So CRV in-fact it seems is a better value in India compared to GV.

As a side-note, taking the mean Japan prices and applying 110% import duty;
Expected Price CRV = 19.75 L
Expected Price GV = 14.20 L

As expected CRV is being sold in India at better discounts. Even if it is not my point is that GV pricing is nothing exceptional.

Disclaimer: I do not own either CRV or GV/Escudo and do not intend to purchase one. The information above is deduced from publicly available information.
Old 8th July 2007, 03:26   #202
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by entropy View Post
I don't think there is anything spectacular about GV pricing. It is cheap compared to CRV at its own home turf.

Escudo pricing
Range; 1.9 - 2.2 M JPY Mean - 2.05 M JPY
Honda CR-V pricing
Range; 2.5 - 3.2 M JPY Mean - 2.85 M JPY

CRV/GV Ratio (JAPAN) = 2.85/2.05 = 1.40
CRV/GV Ratio (INDIA) = 18.2/14.3 = 1.27
So CRV in-fact it seems is a better value in India compared to GV.

As a side-note, taking the mean Japan prices and applying 110% import duty;
Expected Price CRV = 19.75 L
Expected Price GV = 14.20 L

As expected CRV is being sold in India at better discounts. Even if it is not my point is that GV pricing is nothing exceptional.

Disclaimer: I do not own either CRV or GV/Escudo and do not intend to purchase one. The information above is deduced from publicly available information.
well i still dont mind what ever the price in japan i can only say facts of my country that is India that if we have 10 000 SUV lovers only 5 % can afford CRV and for the rest 95 % they will some how manage to spend 10 -12 lacks and grand vitara is to near to be a affordable SUV with the best service back up so it priced very well to be ignored., take it or leave it

And from the last two three theards that i have written or read all i can find is people have problems if they car is priced expensively and people have more problems if it it priced as best and competitively as company can price it though i fail to understand the frustrations yet but there are many reasons like some one just bought a laura Dsg for 19 lacks and will now fight till his life that the Passat is not launched under 20 lacks and he will make sure that VW prices it above 26.86 that is the Ex price of BMW ,but Vw in my humble opinion is not as kiddish in there business stratergy as one child finding quotes from some where on the internet is
Old 8th July 2007, 12:54   #203
Senior - BHPian

The problem with the GV is that MUL have done removed some essential features, my my, if i am buying a 15L car i would surely expect rear disc brakes to be as standard, shocking of MUL to say the least.

EDIT - Also the GV interior looks quite Swiftish, now thats not a good thing if you have a Swift and plan to buy a GV to find that a car costing 3times your hatch looks quite similar to it in the inside.

Last edited by BUSA : 8th July 2007 at 12:55.
Old 8th July 2007, 13:49   #204
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangaraj View Post
In Summary, Vitara has less power, longer wheelbase, heavier, less torque, control on 4WD, smaller tires, no anti-roll bars, no leather seats, rear drum brakes vs disk, more fuel capacity, probably better FE for sure, cheaper spares, less fancy interiors/settings than the CRV
Yes but for the target market it is as "big" a vehicle at about 4 lakhs less, and therefore its going to eat up CRV sales. In that segment, power, p-2-w ratios, torque etc done matter.

If you get the same presence for 4 lakhs less, why not?
Old 8th July 2007, 14:38   #205
Senior - BHPian

Some news channel was reveiwing the GV yesterday. I like this SUV a lot. Looks smart IMO and seemed pretty big. Only problem was that the interior seemed exactly the same as that on the SX4. Does it come with leather?
Old 8th July 2007, 17:40   #206
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
Does it come with leather?
According to spec sheet and brochure and photos, NO it doesn't come with leather.
Old 8th July 2007, 20:07   #207
BHPian

According to Edmunds GV starts at around 20k as does CRV but this is the V6 GV. In the UK where the 2 litre 4 cylinder is available GV starts at 15.75k with CRV at 18.5k, take into account the Indian 2 litre is detuned and not 140bhp. So Entrophy does have a point, but after conversions GV is closer to its foreign price than CRV making it a better value proposition for Indian consumers.

I can't help feeling GV pricing is more realistic for the Indian market , unless you prefer the 'cream strategy'. The problem with this is as competition increases you will find it increasing difficult to sustain the premium and price your updated models.
Old 8th July 2007, 23:12   #208
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Yes but for the target market it is as "big" a vehicle at about 4 lakhs less, and therefore its going to eat up CRV sales. In that segment, power, p-2-w ratios, torque etc done matter.

If you get the same presence for 4 lakhs less, why not?
In that segment, interiors and brand also matters. Looking at the pics of GV, and actual CRV, the latter clearly has better interiors however reality could be different. So, it isn't curtains for CRV, as yet. Lets see.

I also don't agree that power etc don't matter. I believe that power matters, especially if its on paper
Old 8th July 2007, 23:31   #209
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondadude View Post
In that segment, interiors and brand also matters. Looking at the pics of GV, and actual CRV, the latter clearly has better interiors however reality could be different. So, it isn't curtains for CRV, as yet. Lets see.

I also don't agree that power etc don't matter. I believe that power matters, especially if its on paper

Power is aplenty in the CRV because i can vouch i saw nearly 140 clicks in D2 mode on a friends ride!!

Also, CRV interiors are like nothing else in it's class(if there is any class distinction for Honda vehicles that is). And i mean they are amongst the classiest for a CKD/CBU soft-roader.

I honestly feel that we are comparing chalk with cheese here(<--- sounds cliched', i know).

I say so because i dread the day I buy a GV and my next door neighbour greets me like - "oh you bought another Mroooooooooooooooootiiiiiii"

cheers
Old 8th July 2007, 23:50   #210
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rev_hard View Post
I say so because i dread the day I buy a GV and my next door neighbour greets me like - "oh you bought another Mroooooooooooooooootiiiiiii"
Read the SX4 thread, and the SX4 v/s City posts. Can see the same argument many many times.

However, SX4 leads NHC in sales now.

Most Viewed