Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2021, 18:38   #1
Senior - BHPian

Delhi: NO2 emissions rise by 125% in 1 year

According to a Greenpeace India study, Delhi recorded a spike in NO2 emissions between April 2020 and April 2021. Pollution levels increased by 125% in just a year - the highest among eight cities.

Delhi: NO2 emissions rise by 125% in 1 year-indelhipollution_1.jpg

Satellite data showed that if weather conditions had been similar to 2020, NO2 levels in Delhi would have increased by as much as 146%.

As part of the study, Greenpeace India analysed NO2 concentrations in eight of the most populous capital cities in India including, Mumbai, Bangalore, Hyderabad, Chennai, Kolkata, Jaipur and Lucknow.

The data showed that NO2 pollution increased by 52% in Mumbai, 90% in Bangalore, 69% in Hyderabad, 94% in Chennai, 11% in Kolkata, 47% in Jaipur and 32% in Lucknow in April 2021 compared to the same month last year.

Source: The Week
TusharK is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 11th July 2021, 19:10   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Delhi: NO2 emissions rise by 125% in 1 year

Is there any conspiracy theory somewhere to push for BEV's ? A part of the report in the article:

Quote:
The disruption caused by the pandemic is a case to transition to cleaner, equitable and sustainable decentralised energy sources such as rooftop solar and clean and sustainable mobility must be central to recovery efforts across cities. The recovery from the pandemic must not come at the expense of a return to previous levels of air pollution," he added.
Vehicles have been driven less, but Greenpeace is showing a 125% increase ?? Or is it because April 2020 we had strict lockdown, and April 2021 a little relaxed one ?

This report does not add up.
condor is online now   (19) Thanks
Old 11th July 2021, 20:10   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Is there any conspiracy theory somewhere to push for BEV's ? A part of the report in the article:

Vehicles have been driven less, but Greenpeace is showing a 125% increase ?? Or is it because April 2020 we had strict lockdown, and April 2021 a little relaxed one ?

This report does not add up.
I do not think there is any conspiracy, the part you are quoting from the article are personal views of one of the contributor for the report.

Now as per the full report published here:
https://www.greenpeace.org/static/pl...fdef8f-pdf.pdf

We can see and the authors themselves have acknowledged and I quote " Governments and city authorities must accelerate the transition to renewable energy and invest in a green recovery, including a switch to wind and solar energy and building efficient public transport, cycling and pedestrian friendly, clean transport-oriented cities" which seems fairly normal request/suggestion.

If we go ahead and check from previous reports they have published it's result are more or less expected YoY.

One point to note is increased construction activity can and will contribute to higher NO2 levels in the atmosphere PM10 (generators running), now I am not sure how the report is taking into account these as what I skimmed through mentioned they relied on satellite tracking over a fixed area. Could that be a major contributer for increased levels for Delhi along with automobiles? It would be interesting to see their next year/year end report for the same.

"In this report, we investigate nitrogen dioxide pollution data from satellite observations. The analysis compares air quality measurementsmade in April 2021 tothose of April 2020, when Covid-19 related government restrictions in India started.Weather conditions can hide or exaggerate the effect of changes in emissions on airquality; therefore a statistical technique is used to account for the contribution of weather in the differences between the compared timeperiods."
Ps_o is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th July 2021, 20:21   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
It is Greenpeace we are talking about. God forbid, the quasi milords at NGT decides to ban diesels of any kind in NCR next week.

As usual, finger pointing at vehicles, while turning blind to the other sources of pollution. The air quality in Delhi is horrendous and steps must be taken to control it, but steps should be taken to strike at the root cause.
DicKy is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th July 2021, 20:45   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ps_o View Post
I do not think there is any conspiracy,
Like Dicky said, it's Greenpeace we are talking about.

I used to support and donate to greepeace long back. No more. A gentle suggestion to not see things at face value. There are too many factors that we will never come to know. Not just in this, but in most things that are happening around us.

Btw, on another note, we will very likely start seeing protests against other forms of power generation like coal etc.
condor is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 11th July 2021, 21:21   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Like Dicky said, it's Greenpeace we are talking about.

I used to support and donate to greepeace long back. No more. A gentle suggestion to not see things at face value. There are too many factors that we will never come to know. Not just in this, but in most things that are happening around us.

Btw, on another note, we will very likely start seeing protests against other forms of power generation like coal etc.
Oh, I completely agree with you and DicKy.
My emphasis in my comment is about how there is nothing new in what they have posted in the report along with the test they have carried. I do agree there are multiple factors (the same is mentioned in my reply, that is construction which have increased post lockdowns and unlock process)

Adding to conspiracy comment, the bigger one would be Delhi Govt which had stopped incentives for TATA Nexon EV. although their updated list still shows Nexon EV. however MG ZS EV is still not mentioned.

Link:
https://ev.delhi.gov.in/ui/images/El..._ev_policy.pdf
Ps_o is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2021, 21:22   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

So they took satellite data for 2020 and 2021. How about 2019 & 2018? How bad was it before the pandemic and lockdowns? As I see it, the NO2 levels at present are within green limits in most parts of Delhi despite quite heavy traffic and no sign of rain, as of today, even as the PM2.5 levels are spiking up into the danger zone in some areas.

Delhi: NO2 emissions rise by 125% in 1 year-aqirkp.jpg

Delhi: NO2 emissions rise by 125% in 1 year-aqipb.jpg
SS-Traveller is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th July 2021, 21:52   #8
BHPian

Lol. Now they'll ban cars all together. Good going, uselesspeace. NGT has an excuse now to work against us even more effectively when they should actually realise that their baseless rule did nothing to prevent pollution.
vredesbyrd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2021, 23:36   #9
BHPian

I know I might get a lot of flak for saying this, but why does everyone seem angry at the prospect of not destroying the world for the coming generation? We as a nation are not taking climate change seriously at all. Yes, the directions from NGT & SC have been completely arbitrary, but that's a different thing altogether - at least acknowledge first that pollution levels are, in fact, rising; and there is no 'conspiracy theory' there, we all lived through the smog. There are countless observable evidences of climate change.

Last edited by N.A.GTC : 11th July 2021 at 23:38. Reason: typo
N.A.GTC is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th July 2021, 00:01   #10
Senior - BHPian

Correct me if I am wrong, but is the article comparing the study over 12 months or only April month of 2020 to the one of 2021. If so this is just a matter of perspective and relativity while it is actually just comparing the change/growth at a particular point of time in the consecutive years and not the whole time between the two time points.

April of 2020 and April of 2021 has a very big difference in terms of economic activity. While the former point of time had close to zero the later was a rebound phase before the current lockdowns. 2020 did show us that pollution can be eradicated, but at a cost. Hope our brilliant minds can find ways in which sustainable growth can be achieved while preserving our environment.

Last edited by TrackDay : 12th July 2021 at 00:06.
TrackDay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2021, 10:05   #11
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I think the its just a click bait article. Like someone said, let them publish the data for Apr from 2016 to 2021. Then we will know really what the increase is.

Just taking two arbitary data points and extrapolating it to conclusions is stupid.
m8002? is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2021, 10:24   #12
Senior - BHPian

It is clear that these environmental watch agencies are working on a mission. In London they concluded that NOX pollution has decreased, courtesy people using less of diesel powered vehicles, but carbon monoxide pollution has increased. So the developed nations have pledged to move on to electric vehicles in 5-15 years.

However, everytime they ignore the pollution caused by heavy metals used in batteries used in electric vehicles & the hazardous nature of these elements. We are at mercy of stupids who only set the agenda _ back up with dubious reasearch (s). Wish they could also suggest some viable option that's generic & easily used to replace conventional fuels.
CARDEEP is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th July 2021, 11:30   #13
BHPian

Last year the country was locked down, so maybe thats the reason the numbers could be high. People may think going electric is cool/fanciful, but don't consider how unregulated the battery industry is and how natural resources & people living around them are exploited without a care for humanity.

Anyway, IMPO the environment lobby is alarmist and is deliberately misguiding people into penury & governments into austerity (due to reduced tax revenue & subsidies). Its time the Govt simply allows people to choose whether they want to live there or move.

Last edited by WorkingGuru : 12th July 2021 at 11:35.
WorkingGuru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2021, 12:19   #14
BHPian

100 bucks to the person who can predict who will be the first to take action.

1) NGT to start banning some type of cars randomly by looking at NO2 emissions of cars by looking at data taken from google.

2) Delhi government to have odd even rule based on NO2 emissions.

3) Central government to introduce one more sin Tax for cars with higher NO2 emissions.
RaghuVis is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 12th July 2021, 12:57   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
According to a Greenpeace India study, Delhi recorded a spike in NO2 emissions between April 2020 and April 2021. Pollution levels increased by 125% in just a year - the highest among eight cities.
Quote:
Or is it because April 2020 we had strict lockdown, and April 2021 a little relaxed one ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackDay View Post
Correct me if I am wrong, but is the article comparing the study over 12 months or only April month of 2020 to the one of 2021...
April of 2020 and April of 2021 has a very big difference in terms of economic activity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkingGuru View Post
Last year the country was locked down, so maybe thats the reason the numbers could be high.
To avoid brickbats : Pollution is a serious issue, that everyone agrees. Even I have bought two air-purifiers.

Now coming to the topic. I haven't read the whole report. Yet, if GreenPeace is trying to compare pollution levels taking April 2020 as base, it will always give misleading conclusion. COVID Lockdown brought out many unexpected once-in-lifetime things. So, that period can't be used as base to logically compare the regular scenario.

PS: Personally, I was really happy to see the power of nature at play. It showed that nature can heal many things once human greed is out of picture.

Quote:
Saharanpur Wakes Up to View of Himalayan Peaks After 30 years as Lockdown Clears Up Air

Source : News18
Date : 30-Apr-2020
Quote:
Bengaluru Water Bodies Look Cleaner, 3 Weeks Into Coronavirus Lockdown
Source : NDTV
Date : 15-Apr-2020
Quote:
How River Yamuna Cleaned Itself In 60 Days Of Coronavirus Lockdown
Source : NDTV
Date : 25-May-2020
AutoNoob is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed