Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2021, 10:36   #181
Senior - BHPian

re: Ford to wrap up India operations

A marriage with Skoda-VW group would be awesomesauce of sorts. Ford somehow has to keep afloat here. It would be a big loss for us enthusiasts if they pack up. Sincerely praying they stay put.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th July 2021, 11:19   #182
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
and Chongqing Changan Automobile Company.
Now would be a good time for one of these Chinese brands to tie up with Ford and sell rebadged Chinese cars as Fords. Like SAIC uses MG badges.

That Chinese firm that almost invested 1500crores here and pulled out last year should be on Ford's radar as they have the money for it and are ready to invest.
Old 30th July 2021, 13:01   #183
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Ford reaches out to half a dozen rival carmakers for rebooting India operations.

Ford has sought companies like Skoda Auto Volkswagen India, Hyundai Motor, Tata Motors, SAIC Motor Corp, MG Motor, and Chongqing Changan Automobile Company.
I don’t understand why they just can’t bring some new cars to India and utilise their factory rather than running behind other companies wanting them to utilise it!

And the way the synopsis is written in the article, it’s almost meaning an exit.
CEF_Beasts is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th July 2021, 13:16   #184
BANNED

Why to runaway instead make some good products. The market is here and there is other OE's which sells nearly a lakh cars every month. Ford has legacy and expertise. What's need of winding operation
Steelneo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2021, 10:22   #185
Senior - BHPian

Interesting to see that such Tweets continue to come from Ford India, despite all the ongoing rumors.

https://twitter.com/FordIndia/status...VfcmVjcw%3D%3D
Old 2nd August 2021, 14:12   #186
BHPian

A reference to ET article on this subject.

Ford reaches out to half a dozen rival carmakers for rebooting India operations. Emails sent to Skoda-Volkswagen, Tata Motors, Hyundai, Ola, Changan and MG did not elicit any response at the time of going to press.

In the worst-case scenario, the US carmaker may shut both its plants and turn its Indian unit into a niche operation, selling CKD (completely knocked-down) versions of premium models Endeavour, Ranger, and Mustang Lincoln while keeping doors open for EVs, they said.

Read more at:
https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...campaign=cppst
5252rpm is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th August 2021, 18:18   #187
Distinguished - BHPian

Anything cooking between Ford India and MG Motors India? A possible contract manufacturing??

Ford to wrap up India operations-658cdd89cf2b4a9f9509f2d6f930f6a1.jpeg

Ford to wrap up India operations-5512d3a4937d49c187caf523607ac358.jpeg

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CSBUUrC...um=share_sheet
CEF_Beasts is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 6th August 2021, 18:37   #188
BHPian

Quite possible as I read somewhere mg is finding it hard to get clearance from Indian government for expanding capacity ,what with the possible scrutiny of all china investment.
Nanolover is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 28th August 2021, 19:18   #189
BHPian

Saw this article in my news stream on Google. More bad news for Ford.

https://www.tribuneindia.com/news/ch...rd-dear-302637
Old 4th September 2021, 21:14   #190
Senior - BHPian

Ford faces tough future in India.

Ford to wrap up India operations-20210904072825_00c.jpg

After the big alliance with Mahindra fell through, Ford hasn’t succeeded in finding another partner and has no choice but to close both its factories in India.

Quote:
Even the next-gen Endeavour (U704) had been pushed, and India was last in line in the Asian region for the next-gen version of the SUV.
Quote:
The current model line-up cannot sustain these manufacturing plants for another three years.
Quote:
For Ford to invest in India means throwing good money at a bad market. “Ford would rather put 500 million USD into a new pickup truck or another market that gives better returns,” said a Ford source.
Quote:
Cars like the Mustang, the Ranger pickup truck (for which there is already a launch plan) and future EVs could be sold in small numbers in India
Quote:
Ford could be reduced to selling only niche cars. The good thing is we’ll finally get some American Fords
Autocar India gives insight into Ford situation in India
Link

Last edited by Venkatesh : 4th September 2021 at 21:37.
Venkatesh is offline   (35) Thanks
Old 5th September 2021, 08:30   #191
BHPian

Ford will go the route it took in Australia and Brazil. Enthusiasts will be able to purchase Ford models in India and Ford will invest the money into American market where it will get good returns.

It's a win-win situation.
mr_robot is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th September 2021, 10:25   #192
BHPian

I said it earlier too and I believe that is what will happen in the coming months/years. Ford will stop manufacturing vehicles in India for the local and export market but will become a niche player with a very small footprint and just sell imports. Yeah we will get "real" Fords but they will be expensive too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaurusSHO View Post
I personally feel Ford will stop manufacturing and become a niche player with only a handful of products from their global lineup (CBU), just like what they did with Brazil. It's only a matter of time before we see a press release like this: https://media.ford.com/content/fordm...ructuring.html
TaurusSHO is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 5th September 2021, 11:36   #193
Senior - BHPian

Well, The future of Ford in the case of small cars is definitely under threat. But I think they will continue the India presence with the big cars like Endeavour, Ranger, etc. They will follow the same business model they are following in Australia. And it is a sensible one too.

There is no way Ford can compete with Suzuki, Hyundai, and Tata in the small car's space. Such manufacturers develop products specifically for India. This is not possible for manufacturers without sufficient volume or special interest in our country. Suzuki and Hyundai have volumes. Tata and Mahindra have special interests in our country. This is the same reason why Toyota had to partner with Suzuki for small cars. There is no way Toyota small cars will be successful in India because of their pricing.

So I think, cars like Figo, Aspire will be stopped. They will continue with only cars like Endeavour, Mustang, etc, till they find a partner or have the financial ability and intend to start India-specific development. VW/Skoda and Renault/Nissan have taken the India-specific development route.

On another note, my wild guess is that Honda will also join Toyota, Suzuki alliance in the near future or leave India.
padmrajravi is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 5th September 2021, 11:37   #194
Team-BHP Support

As I mentioned here, no one knows for sure what’s going to happen. As we have seen with many MNC’s, they will not put fresh money to revive old investments.

Even my contact had similar views about Ranger launch in future. It appears, there are two thought processes going on, one at HQ relating to Indian operations and second Indian management, working as usual as long as possible with no further support from HQ, financially.

Frankly, if any manufacturer is not able to keep production occupied even at these peaks, they have no business of staying around.

As per my known, decisions are expected this month. Let’s hope they stay and we finally see at least Ranger here.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post5140432 (Ford Endeavour 2.0L Bi-Turbo being tested; launch soon!)

Last edited by Turbanator : 5th September 2021 at 11:39.
Turbanator is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 5th September 2021, 12:04   #195
BHPian

Ford did make India specific models like the Ikon, the Figo 1st Gen, and the Fiesta, possibly other models too. And they managed decent success with each of them. Even the Fusion, which was well ahead of the times, for India, sold in reasonable numbers.
I think their problem was that instead of continuing India focused ( no pun intended) models, they wanted to assert their own style with the awkward 2nd generation Fiesta which was a flop, if ever there was one. They followed it up with a second gen Figo and the Freestyle, which again were neither Swift challengers nor a patch on the larger i20s. They should have stuck to good VFM India specific models and but didn't.
The Mahindra Ford JV would have been a great success IMHO but sadly fell apart before it could take off. I wish they find a good partner; Honda should be their target.
matizcrazy is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks