cool_dube is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st July 2021, 17:21   #152
Senior - BHPian

re: Ford to wrap up India operations

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Another video attempting to defuse the situation:

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=my6iF5BjvKY
Logically what is being said in this video makes sense.

The Ford Figo AT is coming at a point in time when Figo has sold 1 unit for the last 3 months and 421 units for the first half of 2021. (Source: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...-analysis.html (June 2021 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis)). I'm not sure how Ford thinks of achieving a drastic improvement in sales. Figo facelift was already launched with a 1.5 AT (The same 1.5 3-cyl engine and TC gearbox). Had Ford marketed the Figo well at that point in time, they had a good chance. This AT is too little too late.

The Ecosport facelift appears to be another half-hearted attempt unless it is a comprehensive upgrade like the 2017 one. In fact, the 2017 one had a decent amount of features at the time of launch. Ford foolishly deleted features in an ultra-competitive segment where newer cars were launched with more and more features. I mean, who will buy a 12-14L OTR car without Android Auto or Apple Carplay in 2021? (I own the 2018 AT one with Sync 3). People love car electronics nowadays. And IMO, electronics is the easiest way to add more features. Even the Kwid has Android Auto and Apple Carplay!

So, to sum up, I believe that the minor cosmetic surgeries are just keeping the employees busy. Unless Ford launches an all-new product, we can never be sure of what's cooking.

Last edited by blue_pulsar : 21st July 2021 at 17:25.
Old 21st July 2021, 19:09   #153
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

I just wonder what they get from gathering all the bad press when rumors of an exit start doing the rounds?

Why don't they quell them with an official statement on the decision they are going to take. There seems to be no effort towards damage control, which further strengthens the speculation.

Imagine going through all the effort of launching the Ecosport SE (now the facelift too) and the Figo/Aspire AT when all the car buying folk have made peace with the fact that Ford is exiting India and have dropped its offerings from their shortlist of models to consider.

These new launches from Ford are going to see abysmal sales and they are making no efforts to combat bad press.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 21st July 2021 at 23:18. Reason: Typo
Tgo is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st July 2021, 19:41   #154
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Another video attempting to defuse the situation:

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=my6iF5BjvKY
Explanation given by Bunny is spot on and inline to what I was thinking. In addition, Bunny claims by his talks with Ford Officials, and based on that, they are definitely committed to India. I believe Bunny's claims, and feel him to be one of the genuine auto enthusiasts in a world of biased Auto Journos on social media.

One thing I worry the most though- Why is Ford silent on this!
Old 21st July 2021, 21:06   #155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgo View Post
Imagine going through all the effort of launching the Ecosport SE (now the facelift too) and the Figo/Asppire AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
One thing I worry the most though- Why is Ford silent on this!
Maybe that's the whole point - actions speak louder than words
cool_dube is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2021, 12:13   #156
BHPian

One simple press release denying all these rumor would have been enough.
Ford is not concerned at all to take such a small efforts?
I don't think so.

Rather Ford not denying the exit could be reflection of reality where they are still evaluating their decision.
In Tweets also they are saying we will take decision in second half.

If I was in market, I will definitely not put a penny on Ford for now.
Old 22nd July 2021, 13:06   #157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveOnceMore View Post
One simple press release denying all these rumor would have been enough.
Ford is not concerned at all to take such a small efforts?
I don't think so.

Rather Ford not denying the exit could be reflection of reality where they are still evaluating their decision.
They can’t put out a statement for the simple reason that they are right now in the middle of reevaluating not just their way forward but what options are available to them. Many of the options will entail them entering into negotiations with parties with whom they have signed non-disclosure agreements. It is pertinent to understand that whether they stay or not will not be decided by Ford India, but by Ford, Dearborn, Michigan.

For them to stay will require hundreds of millions of dollars in additional investment to rejuvenate their product offerings, marketing, dealer and service networks. This money will not be invested unless Ford Dearborn, is convinced that there is a sound long term business plan and reasonable return on its investments. It needs to convince its share holders, many of whom are still from the original Henry Ford Family through their erstwhile trusts funds.

What is currently in Ford India’s management hands is to create and present a convincing business case to Ford Dearborn that it worth the time, effort and MONEY to stay in India and manufacture in India. It will require solid and convincing reasoning, a clear game plan and goal posts, and well thought out strategies to achieve the said goal posts.

Unless the above is done & a decision has been taken by Ford Dearborn, there is not going to be a statement from Ford India. I strongly suspect that they are in midst of doing all this. There was previously a statement from Ford India, that the future course of action for the company would be clarified by the 4th quarter of this year. Considering this statement, I don’t think we are going to get any other statement from Ford India, till it gets a decision from Ford Dearborn.
PratikPatel is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2021, 15:13   #158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PratikPatel View Post
It is pertinent to understand that whether they stay or not will not be decided by Ford India, but by Ford, Dearborn, Michigan.

This money will not be invested unless Ford Dearborn, is convinced that there is a sound long term business plan and reasonable return on its investments.

Unless the above is done & a decision has been taken by Ford Dearborn, there is not going to be a statement from Ford India.
Well said. This is the exact info that I got after talking to a sales manager at Kairali Ford Trivandrum. The folks at Dearborn have been too reluctant to commit investments so far. Hope that situation turns around.
Old 22nd July 2021, 17:01   #159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PratikPatel View Post
They can’t put out a statement for the simple reason that they are right now in the middle of reevaluating not just their way forward but what options are available to them. ...
Well said. I had posted the same thing a few posts back - Link

Ford cannot make a statement now because they have nothing to say at this point !

I still think the outcome will be positive because Ford has quit manufacturing in Brazil and they need a low cost location to cater to emerging markets where India fits in nicely. Apart from the US & Europe, they are not strong in China and hence need to be present in more regions.

Ford has used India as an export base well in the past and was even making a manufacturing profit till recently. The PLA scheme should also play a factor in making it more attractive.

Let's wait and see !
Old 22nd July 2021, 18:39   #160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
And how many units of that do you think would sell in the Indian market? They can bring almost any CBU to India I am sure but how is that going to make any difference to their plants in India?
Somewhere down the line these EV will have to become cheaper. They can take the opportunity for a first mover advantage and localise as much as possible and test, explore and create future products based on their experience and learnings. Sitting on the fence and saying its not gonna work will not fuel future projects at all.
Old 22nd July 2021, 20:20   #161
BHPian

I was going through the recent years performance of Ford India in our country, and I an astonished that their best performance year is not that far behind. To be precise they sold approximately 97000 vehicles in domestic market in 2018, that is an average of 8000 vehicles per mónth. This includes a 30-35 lakh suv and three other mass market vehicles. That means their best performing years are not that distant past. If they have the will power and green signal from detroit they can easily turn the tables around. IMO its the lack of determination from Detroit HQ which is ruining the Indian operations.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.car...s-in-2018/amp/
Dr.Abhi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2021, 22:54   #162
BANNED

The sudden burst of rumor mongering that started a few days before Figo AT launch - very likely that its a motivated negative media / social media campaign run by some vested interests (read as competitors) - with the likely intent of killing the prospects of Figo AT.

Last edited by PYSO : 22nd July 2021 at 22:56.
PYSO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2021, 00:32   #163
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYSO View Post
The sudden burst of rumor mongering that started a few days before Figo AT launch - very likely that its a motivated negative media / social media campaign run by some vested interests (read as competitors) - with the likely intent of killing the prospects of Figo AT.
Being brutally honest here, AT or no AT the Figo is dead! What is the talking point going to be which will convince a customer to buy a Figo AT over a Swift or i10 Nios, other than the safety kit and safety rating (which general public still don’t value)? Zero factory dispatches for the last 2 months will make anyone lose any confidence he/she had in the product!

For the Figo to succeed it needs Apple CarPlay and Android Auto via the Sync 3 system more than anything, along with larger wheels, projector headlights, reworked led tail-lights! Even a S-Presso gets both Android Auto and Apple CarPlay, why can’t Ford give it as well.

And rather than this half-hearted attempt why couldn’t launch the AT in the Aspire and more successful Freestyle, is what beats me!

Also the 1.5L diesel has been in India for so long that by this time Ford should have given it a well-deserved diesel auto, it would have really made the sales figures leap forward!

For reference the 120ps 1.5L TDCi sold abroad gets an Automatic 6-speed (MPS6) PowerShift transmission, I don’t believe it’s hard to mate it to the 100bhp 1.5L or to give India the 120ps 1.5L TDCi!

Check the specs of the engine and gearbox of the Ford Focus sold in Europe. The 1.5L TDCi with 120ps and 6spd Auto is mentioned.
https://media.ford.com/content/dam/f...chSpecs_EU.pdf

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 23rd July 2021 at 00:36.
CEF_Beasts is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2021, 08:04   #164
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well said and sounds very much true. If this is true, Ford needs to come out and put such rumours to rest.
rakesh_r is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2021, 09:48   #165
BHPian

Quote:
If you said this when TATA launches the Altroz DCT then it would have made sense.

But here we are talking about a company that was so incompetent or disinterested in selling their previous Figo 1.5 AT in India that multiple members had to resort to dealing with multiple dealerships and months of waiting period just to get their hands on one.

In my opinion, if we are going to consider this as a motivated social media campaign then it's most likely done by Ford itself so that they don't get more bookings than they can handle.

Doesn't make sense... I know but neither does Fords behaviour in India.
JithinR is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks