Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2021, 12:39   #16
BHPian

Re: Ford - Mahindra call off their engagement; no JV happening!

Tweeted my frustrations to Ford India after seeing the news today. And they have responded, but still no clarity.

Ford to wrap up India operations-ford.jpg
ask_017 is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 15th July 2021, 12:45   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Ford looks to wrap up India factory ops soon ?

The American automaker has been in talks with various car companies for both contract manufacturing and/or sale of its Indian factories, the latest with Ola, which could use Ford’s factories to build electric.

Link
The first part is quite a possibility, confirmed to me by someone working here.

Management is looking to take a "Tough Call", they have been told few days back.
What that tough call could be we don't know, they were also exploring to selloff the Chennai plant and continue with Sanand only.

The sanand plant is new and can handle multiple vehicles on the same line, unlike the Chennai plant.

Second part, contract manufacturing for other OEM's is a ongoing topic with no clarity.

Buzz was that PSA was also in contention for contract manufacturing/buyover of the Chennai plant.

Ford leaving India would be bad for business alike for enthusiasts, they make really good cars.
Gaur is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th July 2021, 12:46   #18
Team-BHP Support

re: Ford to wrap up India operations

Rumour: Ford to wrap up India operations - Posts moved to a new thread.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 15th July 2021 at 12:48.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th July 2021, 13:33   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400notout View Post
Nice, this after I, an ex GM owner went ahead and took a leap of faith and booked an Ecosport

Should I take this Indication and cancel?
Even when they were operating here, I had a tough time sourcing some parts for my Ikon several years ago. Peugeot brought some tough cars to India a couple of decades ago and they shut shop within a few years. My friend was one left with a wonderful car built like a tank - but no spares.
Prowler is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th July 2021, 13:50   #20
BHPian

Ford India keeps going back and forth on this.

They wanna go but they don't wanna leave.

Must be tough being a Ford dealer right now.

Globally, Ford has been focusing on profitability and in doing so, has cut down models from its range and exited some markets altogether. India is not a big market for Ford even though current owners will swear by their cars.

What Ford India needs is a long term plan. Something similar to what VW initiated a couple of years back. Recovery will be slow but there will be some method to the madness.
veedub89 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 15th July 2021, 14:04   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Ford is saying they are committed to India and not leaving but media is saying otherwise. And this is not the first time this rumour is spreading. Honestly don’t know who to believe now!

Ford to wrap up India operations-f71bf8184dfc44e5afcba34895ae4b52.jpeg
CEF_Beasts is online now   (33) Thanks
Old 15th July 2021, 14:12   #22
BHPian

Honestly, I can't understand why Ford is showing so much laziness in India. The company really needs to bring some fresh products to catch up with the competition from other brands. Currently, the entire product portfolio of Ford in India is terribly outdated. Facelift version of the EcoSport is being tested, but I don't think so that it will help Ford to boost up sales. Though the Endeavour is a good vehicle, it is not that appealing for enthusiasts due to the underpowered diesel. About Figo and Aspire, some AT variants are going to be introduced in the coming weeks, but who is still going to buy an old wine in new bottle?

From all these, we should understand that Ford is already in a stock clearance mode in India, and hence there exists a high chance for the company to exit our market. In such a case, resale value of current models will definitely go down. Now, I have no clue about whether I should keep my Global Fiesta or sell it immediately.

Even if Ford leaves, they will continue to provide support at least for few years. Anyways, let's wait and see what Ford is going to comment in the second half of the year. Still, I feel that there is a higher chance for Ford to exit than staying

Last edited by Shreyfiesta : 15th July 2021 at 14:24.
Shreyfiesta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th July 2021, 14:33   #23
BHPian

For the members who rely on launch or upgrade pipeline of Ford models in India to indicate the stability of India operations, consider that these models are sustained by Ford India, and operational continuity is a decision to be taken in a different place, Ford HQ.

In any case, for any bureaucracy, its not entirely surprising when the left hand doesn't know what the right is up to.

Ford may be here for the long term, I don't know. All I'm saying is, don't rely on one bit of news as substitute evidence for another.

Ford makes some great automobiles, sure. But when it is in just survival model for years together, you have to wonder where did the josh in the machine go? The forlorn look in their dealerships. Sad.
dust-n-bones is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th July 2021, 14:39   #24
Senior - BHPian

Ford in my opinion cant succeed as a mass market brand in India. But they have somewhat premium brand recall in India. I think they should stay, and minimize operations to the extent, that they sell only large SUVs/pickups starting with Endeavor. I also believe they should launch the F150 here. Basically reposition themselves as a premium SUV brand.
rrsteer is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th July 2021, 14:44   #25
Senior - BHPian

This is becoming confusing now and annoying too for a Ford owner.

First the same news that they were leaving came out couple of years ago(?) and then the joint venture with Mahindra, then that being called off and now back to square one.

Ford needs to clear the air and not let the media hype things up or give the wrong information. I don't understand why the PR of such companies do not make it a point to clarify things with the public when they have nothing to loose at this stage. It is not that if they are planning to continue, it is going to make a big dent on their sales.

From what I feel, they want to get rid of one of their plants which I thought was already done sometime ago.I guess their exports are nothing to write home about either now.
tharian is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2021, 14:48   #26
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
I guess their exports are nothing to write home about either now.
Not sure about this. For cars exported from India, Ecosport has been the leader for quite a while.
Old 15th July 2021, 15:02   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ask_017 View Post
Tweeted my frustrations to Ford India after seeing the news today.
Attachment 2179338
This politically correct response leaves a solid hint that things aren't that rosy with Ford India and an exit is brewing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
I don't understand why the PR of such companies do not make it a point to clarify things with the public when they have nothing to loose at this stage.
If indeed they're not exiting India, they could easily nip this grapevine in the bud with a press release. If that's not forthcoming soon enough, the fears are not going to be allayed with the present and prospective owners.

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 15th July 2021 at 15:03.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 15th July 2021, 15:15   #28
BHPian

Ford's India exit has been looming large for the last 3-4 years. JV with Mahindra was kind of Ventilator support for them and now that's called off, they would find it really challenging to stay invested. Another clear case of a Global giant is unable to understand the Indian market and doesn't have a suitable product portfolio. GM shouldn't feel too bad.

On a lighter note - It'll give me the opportunity to buy used Endeavour at a lower price if and when they exit completely.
Old 15th July 2021, 15:30   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400notout View Post
Nice, this after I, an ex GM owner went ahead and took a leap of faith and booked an Ecosport

Should I take this Indication and cancel? This was my number one concern on booking a Ford.

The sales person was very confident about Fords future plans and also said that if not for the pandemic, the Ford Territory would have been launched.
I would suggest keep it on hold. Sorry to say but American companies making promises in India is as good as “All talk and no action”. They give their word to their loyal customers and then leave them in the lurch. Take GM (as you have already experienced) or Harley Davidson for example. I’ve been a victim of this too. Best case scenario if they leave, you might end up getting parts and after sales service, but your car will depreciate faster than Titanic sinking to the bottom of the ocean. I don’t even need to tell you the worst case scenario.

The Ecosport surely is a great car, and if you still can’t get your eyes off it, it won’t be a bad decision to pick one up pre-owned. Wont be shocked to see the used car market flooded with people trying to get rid of their Fords once this news is confirmed. You may just end up getting one for a sweet deal.

Last edited by Aditya : 16th July 2021 at 18:51. Reason: More family friendly words used
Starfire is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 15th July 2021, 15:53   #30
BHPian

It will be a sad sad day if and when Ford decides to move out of India. Was really hopeful when there were rumours of the Ford Focus ST being brought in. But now it seems like that may not happen. After having owned nothing but Fords for the past 25 years, looks like I will have lookout for German & French makes for my next new car.
PratikPatel is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed