Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th July 2021, 13:17   #1
Senior - BHPian

Chandigarh: Kia Carnival base trim priced at Rs. 21.20 lakh

A Kia dealership near Chandigarh is offering the base variant of the Carnival for Rs. 21.20 lakh (ex-showroom).

Chandigarh: Kia Carnival base trim priced at Rs. 21.20 lakh-whatsapp-image-20210716-1.14.47-pm-1.jpeg

The dealership is offering a "special gratification" discount of up to Rs. 3.75 lakh, hence the lower price tag. Also, as part of the EMI Holiday Scheme, customers can pay after 60 days with a loan tenure of up to 60 months.

The Kia Carnival was launched in India in February last year. The MPV is available in three variants in either 7, 8 or 9 seat configurations.

Chandigarh: Kia Carnival base trim priced at Rs. 21.20 lakh-whatsapp-image-20210716-1.14.47-pm.jpeg

The Carnival is powered by a 2.2-litre, 4-cylinder diesel engine. It produces 197 BHP @ 3,800 rpm and 440 Nm @ 1,500-2,750 rpm. The engine is paired with an 8-speed automatic transmission.

Interestingly, the price of the Premium 7-seater variant is still listed as Rs. 24.95 lakh on Kia's website. This means that the special price offered in Chandigarh is a dealer-specific offer.

Thanks to Kunal Tandon for sending these images in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing them with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP page!

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by Aditya : 16th July 2021 at 14:57.
TusharK is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 16th July 2021, 13:29   #2
BHPian

Re: Chandigarh: Kia Carnival base trim priced at Rs. 21.20 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
A Kia dealership near Chandigarh is offering the base variant of the Carnival for Rs. 21.20 lakh (ex-showroom).
Does this mean 2021 Carnival launch is near in India? I like the practicality of the new model more than the current one in sale and will be on my shortlist for purchase this Navratri (if launched).

Last edited by sunnsood : 16th July 2021 at 13:31. Reason: added reason
Old 16th July 2021, 14:48   #3
BHPian

The discount is available pan India i think.

The premium variant has 3.75 lakh discount, while the prestige and limousine variant has 2.5 lakh discount.

Link to the article.

https://www.cardekho.com/india-car-n...7442.htm?amp=1
LazyDriver is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th July 2021, 13:27   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post

Attachment 2179921
Name:  kia carnival.PNG
Views: 2308
Size:  475.7 KB

Anyone else noticed the 'Innovation' in the AD ?

Most probably stock clearance due to the upcoming next generation vehicle which is already on sale in other markets now. Personally I like the design language of this carnival over the upcoming one. This one has a neater universal appealing exterior, especially the light cases. However when it comes to features and conveniences the next one will indeed be a step higher.
TrackDay is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th July 2021, 13:59   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackDay View Post
Anyone else noticed the 'Innovation' in the AD?
Nice catch there. Kudos to Kia for such subtle digs instead of sticking it in the face like Tata has been doing lately.

Quote:
Most probably stock clearance due to the upcoming next-generation vehicle which is already on sale in other markets now. However, when it comes to features and conveniences the next one will indeed be a step higher.
Nah, I don't think so. BHPian LazyDriver has already pointed out that these discounts are available pan India and IMO are akin to ones available on all luxury vehicles. Carnival dispatch numbers have also been healthy with them consistently dispatching 300-500 units a month for the car. Had they been planning to bring the new one, the dispatches for the older one would have dwindled.

Moreover, Kia has made no indication for the launch of the new Carnival and have mentioned that their next product is the smaller, made for India MPV to be positioned between Ertiga and Innova.

Recently Autocar also carried an article quoting that Carnival is not on the cards for India presently and while some media organisations claim a launch date of 2022, it seems nothing more than clickbait as most quote an interview with the Kia ED where he says the next-gen Carnival will be launched in India "at the right time".

I think the next-gen Carnival is still some time away for India.

Last edited by Shreyas Agarwal : 17th July 2021 at 14:02.
Old 17th August 2021, 13:24   #6
BHPian

Took a test drive of Kia Carnival primarily due to the 3.75 lakh discount offer. Following are my observations

Positive points
-----------------
1. With that 3.75 lakh discount the price comes to 26 lakhs in chennai. This is Tata Safari territory.
2. Refined engine. The noise level is much much lesser than jeep compass or vento diesels.
3. The underbody didnt scrape any of our apartment speed breakers which usually trouble octavias and 3rd gen honda citys.
4. 3 year unlimited kms warranty is nice. Can be extended to 5 years for more peace of mind
5. Wifey liked the Minivan for its space and better ride. Even with 18inch wheels the ride was like honda city only (we have used only honda citys from 2009 till date so can compare with that only)

Negative Points
-----------------
1. Base model misses out on safety big time. Only 2 airbags, no ESP/hillhold/tractioncontrol. I don't know about hillhold and traction but 6 airbags and ESP are must have at this price point i guess.
2. SA says 8 seater variant is stopped. But we want only the 8 seater because we have a kid and we want a bench.
3. This discount is going on from May21. Offers are 3.75 for base premium model, 1.9 for mid prestige model, 2 for top limousine model. This strongly points to the next gen model coming in march 2022 as mentioned in cardekho?

What do you guys feel? Should i go for the base despite the negatives or should we wait and decide next year. I am not in a hurry. Current drive is honda city and with 3rd wave still not declared as coming /gone we prefer to wait this out.

Chandigarh: Kia Carnival base trim priced at Rs. 21.20 lakh-screen-shot-20210817-12.35.36-pm.png

Chandigarh: Kia Carnival base trim priced at Rs. 21.20 lakh-whatsapp-image-20210814-5.33.09-pm-1.jpeg

Chandigarh: Kia Carnival base trim priced at Rs. 21.20 lakh-whatsapp-image-20210814-5.33.09-pm-2.jpeg

Chandigarh: Kia Carnival base trim priced at Rs. 21.20 lakh-whatsapp-image-20210814-5.39.55-pm.jpeg

Regards
Dev
irdevanand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th August 2021, 13:34   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by irdevanand View Post
Base model misses out on safety big time. Only 2 airbags, no ESP/hillhold/tractioncontrol. I don't know about hillhold and traction but 6 airbags and ESP are must have at this price point i guess.
Spending 26 lakhs to buy a car with two airbags does not seem like a good decision. Safari or Crysta is the better option here in my opinion.
padmrajravi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2021, 13:53   #8
Senior - BHPian

I honestly dont understand why this car doesnt sell more!!

This is the most value for money car in today's market I think. This is costing a few lakhs more than the Seltos top model!

My hypothesis is that Kia is not producing this much as I dont see any Carnivals on display at Mumbai dealerships.
2000rpm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2021, 12:33   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Negative Points
-----------------
1. Base model misses out on safety big time. Only 2 airbags, no ESP/hillhold/tractioncontrol. I don't know about hillhold and traction but 6 airbags and ESP are must have at this price point i guess.
2. SA says 8 seater variant is stopped. But we want only the 8 seater because we have a kid and we want a bench.
3. This discount is going on from May21. Offers are 3.75 for base premium model, 1.9 for mid prestige model, 2 for top limousine model. This strongly points to the next gen model coming in march 2022 as mentioned in cardekho?
Hi Dev,

I was/am in the same predicament as you. The base model is short on safety and the mid one - which has the curtain airbags, EPS- costs about 6.5 lacs more. Ultimately, I have shifted my booking to the mid variant.

8 seater isn't stopped, but from what I learnt, its the least in demand and you will have a tough time booking it. There are options available in the market to add a middle seat in the 7 seat variant one. The fit and finish looks good, but ofcourse you miss out on the seat belts. I have purchased the seat, am fine with no seat belts, as its going to be rarely used. I ordered it from a person in Delhi, the courier has arrived, but would open it when I get the van delivered (sometime in Oct). It cost me about 13k including transport.

Actually the discount for Prestige has dropped from Rs2.5l to Rs 1.9l. Back in July I was offered a Prestige, but insisted on Premium due to costs. Now when I changed my booking to Prestige, the dealer has informed that the incentive for Prestige has decreased to Rs 1.9 lacs. In addition, the variant will now get artificial leather seats, and they are expecting a minor bump up in the ex-showroom price. Net-net if I had agreed to buying the Prestige variant in July, I'd have been richer by about Rs 1lacs.

Last edited by rrsteer : 20th August 2021 at 12:34.
rrsteer is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2021, 13:31   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
Hi Dev,

Ultimately, I have shifted my booking to the mid variant.
I think this is the best decision w.r.t Carnival. . You will get the new KIA logo too. Thanks for replying to my PM. Shared a concern about discount on ex-showroom vs discount on onroad. Most people assume the discount is on exshowroom and this reflects in this forum title too (Kia Carnival Base Trim Priced at Rs. 21.20). But both the dealers i spoke to in chennai have confirmed the discount is not on exshowroom but in onroad only.

This bumps up the cost by a factor of 1.25 lakhs. For example base variant is 25L exshowroom and if you consider 3.75 lakhs discount on exshowroom and work out the road tax etc for 21.2 exshowroom it comes to 25L as you mentioned. But if you work it out as discount in onroad then it comes to 30L - 3.75 = 26.25. I am not sure which is right. My SA says with GST in picture it will be hard to bill the car at discounted pricing.

ps- to me it looks like a wasted effort from KIA side just getting a lot of attention towards carnival at 25/26 lakhs which is Tata safari territory but then when we get deeper it is crossing 33 lakhs on road and gets into fortuner territory and with the new XUV700 pricing makes one wait and watch this space then plunge right now. The enthu is decreasing

Regards
Dev
Old 20th August 2021, 14:30   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
ps- to me it looks like a wasted effort from KIA side just getting a lot of attention towards carnival at 25/26 lakhs which is Tata safari territory but then when we get deeper it is crossing 33 lakhs on road and gets into fortuner territory and with the new XUV700 pricing makes one wait and watch this space then plunge right now. The enthu is decreasing

Regards
Dev
Exactly, the XUV launch has changed the dynamics. It caused some turmoil within me too. But ultimately, 2 factors led me to retain the Carnival booking. Firstly, I truly need all the space I can and secondly yet not confident owning a Mahindra/Tata for a long duration. Kia too was new to me. But what gave me the confidence was the reviews of the 2019/20 model overseas. Its been ranked the most reliable large van in US (although they get a different engine) and I learnt that in Australia too, its the highest selling in its segment. To gauge similarity, the Indian variant has the same weight as the one that was sold in Australia and S.Africa, so I expect no Seltos type foul play here. In addition this R series diesel engine in Carnival is also being employed in Genesis cars. So given the care I take, I do see myself living happily with the Carnival for sometime. But only time will tell.

Regarding your comment on pricing, even in my case the discount is calculated on the final price. I think the difference is between the RC cost in Punjab vs. Chennai and also the insurance quote provided to me.

Last edited by rrsteer : 20th August 2021 at 14:32.
rrsteer is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 25th June 2022, 08:02   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

What's the starting price of Carnival now? Any discounts? Any Carnival variant available within 25L on road?
Old 25th June 2022, 10:46   #13
Senior - BHPian

The base variant is stopped. Only prestige and limousime variants available. Both have sunroofs.
Onroad Pune should be around 36 to 40ish.
Discounts close to zero.
Waiting = 3 months.
dipen is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks