Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 16th July 2021, 14:09   #1
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

The Grand Tour (India) - How would you want it to happen in India?

The Grand Tour (India) - How would you want it to happen in India?-images.jpeg

I have been a very big fan of the original Top Gear and the current The Grand Tour (Yes the one with those 3 blokes - Pinky, Perky and Captain Slow). Everytime I watch their episode I wonder " Will The Grand Tour ever come to India?"

Yes, Top Gear did come to India and that was an amazing episode. But I wish they had driven Indian cars on their trip. But they could probably do that with The Gram Tour trip over the country if they ever plan one. So assuming they do so, What would you like to see on that episode?
  • City
  • Venue
  • Conversation Street
  • Celebrity Face Off
  • 3 Cars for their trip
  • The route / Destination
  • Race Track

My preference would be
  • City - Mumbai
  • Venue - Super Car Club Garage
  • Conversation Street - Indian Motoring Scene over the years
  • Celebrity Face Off -
    1. Mr. Gautam Singhania not only because of his huge car collection, but also because of his passion for cars and also for bringing them closer to normal people ( Parx Supercar Show and now the SCCG)
    2. Mr Hormazd Sorabjee - one of the renowned auto journalist and currenty editor at Autocar India to talk about the current Indian market.
    3. Mr. Marvendra Singh - to provide an insight into India's rich automotive heritage.
    4. Our very own GTO / Rushabh Parekh - do I even need to mention why?[/indent]
  • 3 Cars for the trip -
    1. Mahindra Thar (old) - Jeremy Clarkson
    2. Maruti Gypsy* -* Richard Hammond
    3. Force Trax - James May
  • The route/ distinction -
    • Probably Kanyakumari to Kashmir (accompanied by Autocar Crew who have done K2K)
    • Explore various states
    • Modify their vehicles ( extreme off road kit) before doing Leh/Ladakh
  • Racetrack - anyone would do.
v12 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th July 2021, 14:20   #2
BHPian

re: The Grand Tour (India) - How would you want it to happen in India?

They did Top Gear India special, with Jaguar XJS (Jeremy), Rolls Royce Silver Shadow (James) and a Mini Cooper (Richard) they started in Mumbai, then to Jaipur and finally to the Himalayas. However the episode was under a lot of controversy and attracted a lot of criticism.
HEMIOrange is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th July 2021, 14:40   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
What would you like to see on that episode?
  • City
  • Venue
  • Conversation Street
  • Celebrity Face Off
  • 3 Cars for their trip
  • The route / Destination
  • Race Track
They have discontinued the existing format with the tent studio, live audience and conversations, to shift to a road-trip-only format. Quite a bummer as I used to enjoy their banter with the audience.

I will prefer them to cover the eastern side of the country this time, preferably a road trip from the southern tip of the nation to the north eastern states. Any Indian vehicle will do, be it cars, lorries or buses (no trains this time).
Researcher is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2021, 15:35   #4
BHPian

British have a tendency to show other countries in a very bad light. They also endlessly boast that their country is the greatest in the world.

If they film us I am sure they will include: garbage down the road, begging, hawkers trying to sell food /junk, 4-5 people travel on a motorcycle without helmet and carry multiple items. I am sure they will find some snake charmer, which honestly I have not seen them for decades.

Do you really want to see? The worst is the world will be watching all these. I have already seen enough of these.

If they genuinely want to show something good, they can do a Ladakh trip on some normal front wheel drive cars. They did something close last time but still they have shown the country in pretty bad state.

It’s better if they don’t come to India.

Last edited by amvj : 16th July 2021 at 15:42.
amvj is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 16th July 2021, 15:54   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

To be frank, when I first heard of Top Gear doing an episode in India, I could rather guess how they were going to show our country (typical BBC attitude) and traffic manners.

But the one area I was truly disappointed was the cars!!! I was praying they would use Indian cars or atleast Indian market cars, which they usually do when they visit each country. But alas, they didn't use any local cars. Just imported some ol' Blighty cars. Ofcourse, it was the theme of the Special. To make sure India-Britain trade relationship grew. But was a really bummer after waiting all these years.

If the Trio ever come to India, I truly want them to drive some Indian car/Indian market cars. No. No Ambassador or Mahindra jeep. They will smugly say it traces its roots to Britain or USA.
DicKy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th July 2021, 16:22   #6
BHPian

I have always found Jeremy Clarkson to be overrated and frankly speaking obnoxious.

This article sums up his "exploits" to some extent
https://www.hindustantimes.com/tv/mo...F8AokYffI.html

Come to think of it, why do we need some outsider?
Here on TBHP we regularly get to see new cars put through the paces.
TBHP also has a interview of the month feature.
We have numerous members sharing awesome travelogues.

The content is there. Only the presentation format needs to be modified a bit. Perhaps the time has come for GTO and the Mods start thinking of a video version. Maybe revive the TBHP youtube channel?
RedTerrano is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th July 2021, 22:16   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
What would you like to see on that episode?
  • City
  • Venue
When I started reading this, I thought you were talking about the Honda City, Hyundai Venue etc.

Our slums and rush hour cities have been depicted more than enough. I guess for a change why not explore a hill station, the winding roads and mists. Could be a visual treat for the World wide audience watching the same. Also the car culture here could be explored from the cars of the Maharajas to the multiple sports car garages we have in the Country.
TrackDay is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th July 2021, 22:41   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

I said it when I was new to this forum and I'll say it again, The Grand Tour is better off featured in Monaco, Great Britain, Germany, Switzerland etc. It was and always will be a snob show where nothing other than Ferraris, Bugattis and the German trio will impress, specially with the snob king Jeremy Clarkson at the helm.

Rightly so, India is not a country to be depicted as a driver's paradise, our infrastructure, road smoothness and motorist discipline has yet miles to go before coming close to half of that of the western world.

Besides, TGT is just an entertainment show and has very little to do with being about actual cars, the trio might have lesser technical knowledge than most professional YouTube reviewers, it worked at a point of tine but not anymore, today it remains a shadow of its earlier avatar Top Gear, which by itself became a parody at the end.
Old 1st April 2023, 11:58   #9
BHPian

Re: The Grand Tour (India) - How would you want it to happen in India?

Looks like James May is touring India for the 3rd instalment of the Our Man in Series. Might as well tap into the Grand Tour audience in India. May posted a pic in Varnasi and the production has also confirmed the shoot location as well. Since its May and Amazon at the helm this time I am expecting a way less controversial episode than the old BBC TG.
Attached Thumbnails
The Grand Tour (India) - How would you want it to happen in India?-screenshot-20230401-11.53.34-am.png  

The Grand Tour (India) - How would you want it to happen in India?-screenshot-20230401-11.54.03-am.png  

Sierra__foxtrot is online now   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed