Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2021, 16:36   #46
BHPian

Re: Cars that got almost everything right - if only

Quote:
Originally Posted by autohead115 View Post
3. The new Octavia - No panoramic sunroof, I mean common, its obviously 3-4 lakhs overpriced, however, a car that is obviously near perfect when it comes to build, features, comfort, and fun to drive elements, how could they omit a feel-good feature when cars that cost 15 lakh rupees less have it, atleast in the L&K, a big sigh!
I feel the panoramic sunroof isn't the reason why it should be on this list. It is ventilated seats. C'mon Skoda!

A panoramic sunroof still is a lot more impractical for Indian weather. Dust, heat, rains and pollution. Not a great option to have and once the initial excitement wears off, I'm not sure if there'll be great functionality to this long-term.

On the other hand, ventilated seats! Wth. Why not provide that? It is so essential in Indian weather. Cars that cost half its price are providing this feature. All those swampy pants sitting in the traffic can be totally avoided.
krishnakumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2021, 16:41   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowflyer23 View Post
Your point being?
If only its cheaper and come as a full spec loaded
a4_attitude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2021, 16:49   #48
Senior - BHPian

I think the OP wanted a list of cars with a hamartia but a lot of posts are about 'perfect' cars!

The OP's intent is more interesting, in my opinion.

Cars I own:
- Crysta AT: Oh! for an eight seater or a center bench!! Ended up buying a Vx!

- Honda Jazz: Cries for a slightly bigger engine. A 1.5 would have made it an absolute gem. Now, I use it for pottering around town in Bangalore. The tragedy is that the purported reason for the gelded engine - mileage - does not pan out either. I get about 10.5 kmpl

Other cars:
- S-Cross 1.6 not having a good automatic
- Octavia not having vRS when I was in the market!

The greatest tragedy of all: A VW Polo TSI - almost perfect. Just needed the company to stand behind the product. I was ready to sign the check and backed off to the Jazz only because I was not sure that VAG will have my back if things go pear shaped.
sridhu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2021, 16:52   #49
BHPian

Tata Safari Storme - if only it had an automatic transmission

Tata Hexa - if only it was still sold in BS6

The XL6 - if only it had a 6 speed CVT

The XUV500 - if only it was spacious in the third row with a bit more luggage space

All of the AMT cars from 8L to 15L stable, if only they worked like a CVT or a regular AT. I mean, the lag in bumper to bumper traffic for each stop and go is too much.
TorqMaster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2021, 16:57   #50
BHPian

Ford Freestyle tdci Titanium plus

Almost perfect hatch/ crossover at stellar price point, if not for nominal exclusions like Sync 3 and slightly better interiors.

The BS IV version had them, but Ford decided it needs improvement in BS VI, so removed them altogether.
JReacher13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2021, 17:47   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnakarthik1 View Post
The biggest 'if only' in the history has to the the Tata Hexa. If only it had the other 'T' badge it would have set the segment chart on fire and would have become an unbelievably popular people mover.
Actually, No. The problem with the Hexa is that it's neither here nor there. Trying to merge a MPV with an SUV left it a confused product. People (like me) who bought it as a SUV were sorely disappointed with the many MPV bits, mainly the van like shape, the school bus length among others. Had they made the Hexa a hardcore mpv it may have got better success. Drive modes and 4*4/awd are completely unnecessary.
AirbusCapt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2021, 18:16   #52
BHPian

1. Maruti Suzuki Swift: A CVT and better safety.
2. Ford Figo TDCi: Timely styling updates and features.
3. Ford Ecosport: Just need an update.
Silver Knight is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2021, 18:32   #53

My wish list:

Marazzo: A petrol/diesel TC automatic with more powerful engine. M&M time and again delivers products which are neither here nor there. A brilliant product letdown by product strategy which doesn't make sense.

Ertiga/XL7: A min. 6-speed TC/CVT and a mid row bench variant of XL6. 2.0L petrol would be cherry on top. Top auto-maker unwilling to deliver capable AT (across product portfolio) to its largest market.

Tata Hexa: BS6 variant.

Toyota Crysta ZX AT: with mid row bench.

Tata Nano Electric: Would be the perfect city commuter in electric Avatar and the current Nexon power/range. Believe TM threw in the towel very early on a product/platform that has great potential.
CarLover79 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2021, 19:12   #54
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Innova Crysta AT. Completely blurred the line between vans & luxury SUVs. Fast, practical, reliable, good looks, nice cabin. Why 'almost' perfect? Because they discontinued the 2.8L AT variant. The 2.8L AT was so good that it took away sales of the more expensive Fortuner.

The Innova Crysta 2.8L AT was all the car anyone needed. I know a few people worth 100 crores or more who happily use it as their daily driver.
GTO is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 19th July 2021, 19:17   #55
BHPian

Kia Seltos

Everything is just perfect with the car, except for its poor crash test rating. That kind of a rating would maybe be acceptable for a 5-6 lac rupee car, but for something that costs close to 20 big ones is simply unacceptable. And, lets not forget the international variants gets a full 5 star rating.

I dont really understand the cause of this step-mother treatment from Hyundai. What do they gain? More profits? Or more hate? This is so unethical.

Last edited by saikishor : 19th July 2021 at 19:20.
saikishor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th July 2021, 19:35   #56
Senior - BHPian

For me-

Ecosport- The car has everything you would wish for. It's just disappointing they don't offer the automatic in S version (forget diesel auto, even petrol auto is not available in S). I know the low speed ride quality could have been better, and it's not best suited for 5 pax, but except these, Ecosport still remains the benchmark for me.

Endeavour- Again, it has everything, except the brilliant 3.2 Litre engine. I can just imagine how good the current 10 speed AT would have been if paired with 3.2 L or the BI-Turbo model available overseas.

Hector- Except the awkward side styling and bouncy high speed ride, this car also has everything I would want in a family cruiser (well that is what it's intended to be). Diesel Auto would have been nice too.

Jeep Compass- Except the eye watering price, Compass manual has got right everything! Even if it was priced 5L lower, the premium could be justified.
07CR is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2021, 19:43   #57

For me it is XUV300 W8 O.
- Well refined engine (both Petrol and Diesel)
- Beastly road presence and fantastic ride
- Ticks all the right boxes for the perfect car in that segment (the boot space could have been improved, but i find it adequate enough)
JaiHanuman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2021, 21:11   #58
BHPian

The Chevy Cruze for me. Owned it for ten years and boy what a joy it was! Macho looks, good interiors , an amazing engine and rock solid reliability. Ran like new till the day we let her go. Still regret selling it.
Maverick_4662 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2021, 22:02   #59
BHPian

Nexon and xuv 300 both are nearly the prefect compact suv which should blow brezza, venue and sonet out of park but are let down by some glaring omissions
Nexon amt is horrible, car deserves a better transmission
Found the amt in xuv much better but its boot space is too less
Also swift is a wonderful car with a horrible transmission
Old 19th July 2021, 23:09   #60
BHPian

I would like to add one more car here which belongs to me :
The almost perfect Honda Brio - a tiny car for city commutes.
Engine ? Check
Price ? Check
Comfort ? Check
Reliability? Check
Safety ? Check

Boot space ? Ahem! What?
Vasanth is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks