Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2021, 21:12   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Renault to end Duster production soon, might bring in new model

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
Renault lost the plot when they axed the Diesel engines (the wonderful 1.5 DCi). Hyundai and Kia are capturing the Diesel market big time after Maruti discontinued the MJD. I hope Renault launches the Duster again but with a competent Diesel Engine (minus the injector issues) and AWD as an option.
They lost the plot when they decided NOT to introduce the new 'platform' Duster in India.

They kept flogging the old horse, and this is the result.
Old 19th July 2021, 21:52   #17
Senior - BHPian

Nothing but only sad news recently. First rumors of an American company planning to leave our shores and now the discontinuation of the Duster. Renault literally kick started this mini, compact SUV craze in India. However they never upgraded the car despite the tremendous response in enjoyed in our market. Hope they bring in the next generation / whole new SUV pretty quick. The Duster is truly a name that is popular far more than Renault itself.
Old 19th July 2021, 22:16   #18
BHPian

Renault should have phased out Duster when then brought in the Captur, which ideally should have carried on the mantle of Duster. Instead, Renault got greedy and tried to charge a premium just for the new clothes. They were also deceptive in their communication and earned the ire of junta atleast on this forum.

After that fiasco though, Renault have come a long way by launching the Triber and Kiger. The fact that both of them are supposedly GNCAP 4 star cars is all the more reassuring. Renault also have a potent drive train combination with their 1.3 turbo + CVT. They need an all new product to exploit that potential.
octane_100 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th July 2021, 08:57   #19
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai & Kia have been minting money, whereas Renault India (who created the segment) is finally thinking of bringing the next-gen car to India.

Can somebody explain the "rationale" behind such a wise decision?
Old 20th July 2021, 09:01   #20
BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

Fingers crossed for AWD + AT
vredesbyrd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th July 2021, 09:11   #21
Senior - BHPian

I am confused about this approach. If they were to discontinue it so soon, why did they even bring the petrol CVT model? Now that the model is here, isn't it better to keep it running till the replacement arrive? A temporary gap is disastrous for the model brand value. I have my doubts about it coming back.
padmrajravi is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2021, 09:20   #22
BHPian

One more great product gets killed by the Company's lack of Vision and joins the elite company of the likes of Ford Fiesta Global, Punto/Linea & S Cross 1.6 or such.

On one side, we have Maruti or Hyundai/Kia , who know how to extract money from the Indian buyers despite providing them sub-par but all gizmo studded vehicles and then we have companies like Ford & Renault who , notwithstanding the great products they offer , could not cash on their success.

6 months back before buying City, when I was deliberating on my next car, Renault Duster was one of my foremost choice , given its impeccable ride quality and I was fascinated by that 110 PS Dci . But the future of Renault and the complications in maintenance scared me off.

Last edited by poised2drive : 20th July 2021 at 09:26.
poised2drive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th July 2021, 11:30   #23
BHPian

Such a brilliant product and strong brand let down by the management's apathy or reasons unknown. A 2010 design, launched in India in mid 2012, still on sale here without a generation change. They should have really cashed in on the initial 3-4 years of success. Creating a blue ocean and being successful initially is one thing, before it turns red you have to find bluer pastures. That said, I don't think the global 2nd gen model would have changed the brand's fortune in India. The globally the product was, and still is designed for a target segment different from who it is marketed to here.
xjosephjacob is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2021, 12:09   #24
BHPian

That turbo petrol engine is just stonking. I’d still take it if the automatic were more competitively priced. Then again, I’m not someone who’s terribly swayed by bling bells and whistles. I personally hate the razzle dazzle of Kia - much too garish for me personally. And I can’t ever get past the name and design of the Creta (and even if I could, the braking woes scare the crap out of me). So in that category I’d still gladly pick the Duster if weren’t for that insane premium on the auto. If it has steering mounted controls and a basic navigation system or even the potential for me to upgrade it myself, I’m happy to pick it for a great engine and suspension combo. I realise I’m something of a Luddite though.

Last edited by RT13 : 20th July 2021 at 12:10.
RT13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2021, 12:29   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT13 View Post
That turbo petrol engine is just stonking. I’d still take it if the automatic were more competitively priced. Then again, I’m not someone who’s terribly swayed by bling bells and whistles. I personally hate the razzle dazzle of Kia - much too garish for me personally. And I can’t ever get past the name and design of the Creta (and even if I could, the braking woes scare the crap out of me). So in that category I’d still gladly pick the Duster if weren’t for that insane premium on the auto. If it has steering mounted controls and a basic navigation system or even the potential for me to upgrade it myself, I’m happy to pick it for a great engine and suspension combo. I realise I’m something of a Luddite though.
Honestly the biggest problem is the interior. It's just too dated for a car that expensive. It's also rather unergonomic. The navigation system is placed far too low, and takes your concentration off the road.

Other than that we love the car, and its a reasonably capable off roader to boot - our AWD duster has got us out of more than a few sticky (read: slushy) situations.
Old 20th July 2021, 13:25   #26
BHPian

Mod Note : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further. Request to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 20th July 2021 at 16:54.
jono213 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 20th July 2021, 13:38   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT13 View Post
If it has steering mounted controls and a basic navigation system or even the potential for me to upgrade it myself, I’m happy to pick it for a great engine and suspension combo. I realise I’m something of a Luddite though.
It does have the steering mount controls. They stick out from under the steering. And believe me , they are far more comfortable to use that the normal ones.
nettooran is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2021, 14:52   #28
Senior - BHPian

Renault Nissan is ready with a new C segment SUV based on the CMF-B+ platform, a heavily reworked, lengthened and strengthened version of the CMF-A+ platform, on which the Triber, Kiger, Magnite are based. The CMF-A+ as everyone knows traces its roots back to the CMF-A which underpins the Kwid and the Datsun Redi-Go.

However a decision on the business case for the CMF-B is yet to be taken. For further investments in India, Papa Renault in France has tasked it's sonny boy in India to clock monthly sales of 20,000 units with its existing products and only then Papa will give the 💰
arjab is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2021, 15:22   #29
BHPian

Sad news. I remember Duster was featured exclusively in the movie Happy New Year by SRK. Had Renault kept Duster updated on a regular basis with incremental improvements, it would have garnered much larger market share than it has now. It is still unmatched when it comes to ride quality and handling.
Old 20th July 2021, 16:39   #30
BHPian

Obituary:
Duster was the first car I bought with my own money. I had to part with it when I moved abroad. It was a lovely family car that served us well over several road trips.
Will miss its presence on the Indian roads.
LeoRBK is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks