Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2021, 12:22   #1
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Renault to end Duster production soon, might bring in new model

Latest News doing the rounds...

Renault to end Duster production soon, might bring in new model-capture.jpg

Renault might soon pull the plug on the current generation Duster and announce the launch of the next generation model in India.

Fingers crossed.
Tgo is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 19th July 2021, 14:36   #2
BHPian

Renault to end Duster production soon, might bring in new model

Looks like Renault is ending current Duster production in October. Its planning on introducing the new Duster model, but that's still in planning stage .

Renault India to pull the plug on Duster in the current form

Quote:
The final batch of the Duster will roll out the production line at its alliance factory with Nissan near Chennai in October, Renault India informed its component suppliers.

But the Duster brand will be out of the market only temporarily, as Renault is working globally on a new-generation SUV, which is likely to be brought to India under the same brand name. The decision on its launch is likely to be made in the coming quarters.
The company is working on the new-generation model and it will try to bring the new Duster to India at the earliest, and discontinuing production of the current model is to pave the way for the new vehicle, he said.

“There may be a temporary gap, but it will come back. Let’s wait till September-October, we may have something to share,” he said. “Development lead times are much lower now, be rest assured, there will be new platforms, new products in the future.”

sanchari is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 19th July 2021, 15:57   #3
BHPian

Re: Renault to end Duster production soon, might bring in new model

And they will keep on planning while handing over the entire segment on a silver platter to others, that they began in the first place. This is lethargy in the first place that kills momentum of growth for any company.

Indians still lapped up to buy first gen duster which was not really a Renault product, and was dated from day-1. When you get a good response, you need to reciprocate and deliver. Hyundai and Kia did that and see now where they are.
PrasunBannerjee is offline   (49) Thanks
Old 19th July 2021, 16:10   #4
BHPian

The Duster was an outdated offering since launch in 2011 or 12 and the current version on sale does not stand anywhere close to the likes of Creta / Seltos or even Brezza for that matter in terms of features and engine offerings. Once a segment creator, like the Ecosport, Duster lost the plot when the French carmaker chose to offer only cosmetic facelifts. The 1.3L Turbo came in too late.

That being said, the Duster offered a suspension like none else and was the only AWD available this side of 20L for a long time

The next generation should help things for Renault, although it is unlikely to repeat the same feat.
shubham7799 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 19th July 2021, 16:13   #5
Senior - BHPian

Renault is throwing away a great opportunity to build a portfolio of crossovers. The Duster was the perfect flagship model, if it had the latest ICE, 6 airbags and optional AWD it would have really gnawed at the Korean twins overwhelming dominance. Add to that the Kiger for higher volume sales and Kwid at the lowest end.
fhdowntheline is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2021, 16:18   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
if it had the latest ICE, 6 airbags and optional AWD it would have really gnawed at the Korean twins overwhelming dominance.
Add to if it had: Interior that didn't look like an eastern European car from 2008, quality that didn't rattle like a lid on boiling water pot and service network 50% of Hyundai.
DeepCarTalk is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 19th July 2021, 16:18   #7
Senior - BHPian

Lets hope that the relaunch the next generation Duster with a diesel mill. everyone who said they are doing away with diesel mills are relaunching diesel powered cars (except VW). 1.5 DCi was national engine 2 (after mjd/ddis) and they should bring it back with BS6 compliance.
amtak is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th July 2021, 16:31   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
Lets hope that the relaunch the next generation Duster with a diesel mill. everyone who said they are doing away with diesel mills are relaunching diesel powered cars (except VW). 1.5 DCi was national engine 2 (after mjd/ddis) and they should bring it back with BS6 compliance.
Given the meagre overall volumes and the bleak scenario for combustion engines in Europe in the next few years, I don't think it may be worth the while for Renault to upgrade the 1.5DCI.
Old 19th July 2021, 16:32   #9
BHPian

It's a shame that they are letting the Duster die and still not finalized plans on it. It was one of the first hits for Renault and won over people ! They failed to capitalize on it by not releasing newer versions and let Creta and others walk all over them.
Old 19th July 2021, 16:45   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepCarTalk View Post
Add to if it had: Interior that didn't look like an eastern European car from 2008, quality that didn't rattle like a lid on boiling water pot and service network 50% of Hyundai.
I dont know about others, but my Duster was a rattle-free car.
Even the Polo that I had developed a bit of a rattle although it's supposedly much better built. But yes, Duster should have been upgraded continuously, there's absolutely no excuse for having that unergonomic ICE module..

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 19th July 2021 at 16:47.
fhdowntheline is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 19th July 2021, 16:56   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
I dont know about others, but my Duster was a rattle-free car.
Even the Polo that I had developed a bit of a rattle
Exactly opposite for me. My Polo is at 78,xxx kms and has been pretty much rattle free while my cousin's Duster at 30,xxx kms rattles heavily
DeepCarTalk is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th July 2021, 17:12   #12
Senior - BHPian

About time.

Apart from the ride quality, there was nothing worth considering on the Duster in 2021.
Poor quality interiors, poor ergonomics and a petrol engine being pushed which nobody wanted.

Hope they come up with the new one soon, with a diesel engine.
parrys is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th July 2021, 17:13   #13
BHPian

Sad news.
They had the perfect platform. Tough. Rugged. Wonderful suspension.
In fact I would say it was most suitable for Indian road conditions.

Hopefully they come up with something just as exciting.

Quote:
Let’s wait till September-October, we may have something to share
May have? I hope the uncertainty is about the date and not the product.
RedTerrano is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th July 2021, 18:15   #14
BHPian

As in the report, if they bring in the new model with a diesel mill and an AWD, I would surely upgrade from my present duster AWD. I simply love the new looks of the latest international model.
nettooran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2021, 20:06   #15
Senior - BHPian

Renault lost the plot when they axed the Diesel engines (the wonderful 1.5 DCi). Hyundai and Kia are capturing the Diesel market big time after Maruti discontinued the MJD. I hope Renault launches the Duster again but with a competent Diesel Engine (minus the injector issues) and AWD as an option.
rakesh_r is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks