Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2021, 21:06   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Auto makers may apply brakes on Auto Expo 2022. EDIT: To be held in January 2023

The Society of Indian Automobile Manufacturers (SIAM), Automotive Component Manufacturers Association (ACMA) and the Confederation of Indian Industry (CII), who jointly organise the Auto Expos are uncertain about organising it this time, come February 2022. The DG, SIAM, Mr Rajesh Menon says they are in talks with member companies and are yet to take the final call.

Safety is the prime concern organisers say, who are mulling with the idea to either postpone it by a few months or to cancel it altogether. With the possible third Covid wave and reports thereof, the organisers are expressing concerns and say a final decision could come by late July 2021. Some companies have also expressed budgetary constraints.

In the usual times, member companies by now (July of the preceding year) normally decide upon their space size to be booked in the pavilion and the products to be exhibited. But this has not yet happened.

The biennial event in the NCR normally attracts national and international brands together with OEM companies.

More on this link here:-

https://m.economictimes.com/industry...w/84533887.cms

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 19th July 2021 at 21:26.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th July 2021, 21:36   #2
BHPian

re: Auto makers may apply brakes on Auto Expo 2022. EDIT: To be held in January 2023

Auto Expos all around the world had been losing steam even before COVID hit. The 2020 India Expo was also a damp event with many major companies deciding to skip the event and practically no launches taking place.

COVID might just have expedited the Expo's death.

Brands nowadays just prefer online unveils for their products. Heck, even concept cars are now unveiled in an online manner.

Concerning the 2022 expo, it is much better if they cancel it. We have not had very high vaccination numbers and scientists are already talking about subsequent waves. I don't think we need another superspreader. We've already had many.
Shreyas Agarwal is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th July 2021, 02:02   #3
Senior - BHPian

re: Auto makers may apply brakes on Auto Expo 2022. EDIT: To be held in January 2023

The pandemic will be the final nail to seal the fate of big events like auto expos. Worldwide those things are only in the decline. Despite being a lover of such events, I am pretty sure the general population will have other things to attend to. Even the fate of movie theatres will be decided after a while since most have been used to streaming platforms by now.

The World as we know it will soon move to a digital platform completely. And that will make a great many things redundant. With the cycle of infections rising and lowering, organizers of many large scale events are stuck in a limbo unable to take a solid call.
Old 20th July 2021, 14:02   #4
Senior - BHPian

Why not to do online ?? When world is working online, working from home, why not Auto Expo online? In fact people from all over world can join and see it. Companies can do it from their own factories and show everything along with new launches. Online they can gather much more data from viewers comments. Also companies can save crores of their money which can help them investing in R&D of new cars. Anyways in physical expo, only few can actually watch it personally. Going online means anyone can join and enjoy from any part of the world.

I know people wont be able to touch and feel the cars, but something is always better than nothing!
aniketi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th July 2021, 17:57   #5
BHPian

Expos are a great oppurtinity for average middle class people to experience cars that they cant afford.I sill remember the first expo I went to.Sat inside a MUSTANG.Clicked a pic alongside an Audi TT.Also sat on an Indian Scout Bobber.That was an overwhelming experience.The first time I got to experience such high end cars and bikes.And i still remember it like yesterday.This is something that digital auto expos cannot replicate.It will not be as exciting.One reason why I believe auto expo shows are still necessary.
Sentinel17 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th July 2021, 21:18   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyas Agarwal View Post
Brands nowadays just prefer online unveils for their products. Heck, even concept cars are now unveiled in an online manner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackDay View Post
The World as we know it will soon move to a digital platform completely. And that will make a great many things redundant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
Why not to do online ?? When world is working online, working from home, why not Auto Expo online? In fact people from all over world can join and see it. Companies can do it from their own factories and show everything along with new launches. Online they can gather much more data from viewers comments. Also companies can save crores of their money which can help them investing in R&D of new cars. Anyways in physical expo, only few can actually watch it personally. Going online means anyone can join and enjoy from any part of the world.

I know people wont be able to touch and feel the cars, but something is always better than nothing!
As a professional, I agree with all the reasons shared by you. However, as father of 8year old enthusiast child, I feel disappointed for him. His first Auto Expo was 2018. In 2020, we cancelled as COVID fear was looming. He's really looking forward to the next one.

Similarly many enthusiasts, particularly young ones, are going to miss the show.

Yes, things are moving online at much faster pace with this pandemic, still there are areas where moving online takes out the fun of physical events. Atleast till the time, when we no longer remember the fun associated with the physical events.
AutoNoob is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th July 2021, 11:59   #7
BHPian

I have not missed a single Auto Expo since 2008 but for sure the hype and excitement of the Auto Expo have gone down in recent years. Don't know if it was the lucky charm of Pragati Maidaan (the venue for earlier Auto Expos), which the new venue (at Greater Noida) cannot match (even though it is a lot bigger) or it might be due to the fact that I am getting older or it can be due to a lack of interest from the manufactures.

Earlier, all the big launches were scheduled only for Auto Expo but in the recent past, there was hardly anything interesting from auto enthusiasts point.

As much as I hate the live stream launches (which does not have any emotion or passion) that look all same to me, I guess that's the way going forward (Covid or no Covid). Car manufacturers get more individual attention in online launches as it's only one brand / one car in that day/week or sometime month so they get more hype mileage.
HP-BHP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2021, 12:16   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Auto Expo 2022 deferred due to fear of third wave and uncertainties around Covid-19.

Quote:
The exact date for the next edition of ‘Auto Expo – The Motor Show’ would be finalised later this year keeping in view the Covid situation and in alignment with the OCIA Calendar of global Auto shows

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 2nd August 2021 at 12:19.
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2021, 07:05   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

More than risk of Covid, I am hearing that they hardly got any confirmations from the big-name manufacturers. Usually, by August, they have the order book they want. This year, it was empty!
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th December 2021, 14:21   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

India’s Auto Expo pushed by a year to February 2023.

Quote:
Auto Expo, India’s biggest automotive event, is now to be held in 2023, from February 1-10, at the India Expo Mart in Greater Noida. . The February 2022 edition was cancelled in August this year due to the pandemic. Organizer SIAM had said the postponement of the biennial show was to ensure safety of exhibitors, visitors and all stakeholders involved.
Having skipped CY2022, the Auto Expo is now likely to be held every odd year from 2023 onwards and will be in alignment with the OICA global auto show calendar.

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 13th December 2021 at 14:23.
volkman10 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th March 2022, 19:42   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Auto Expo to be held from January 13-18 next year.

Link
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2022, 10:16   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Auto Expo to be held from January 13-18 next year.

Link
Personally I am very excited for the Auto Expo, especially now with fewer COVID cases.

However in recent times, I think Auto Expos are fast losing relevance.
Old 20th October 2022, 10:32   #13
Senior - BHPian

Any updates if the Autoexpo will be held on January 2023?
Old 20th October 2022, 12:06   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
Any updates if the Autoexpo will be held on January 2023?
Seems that Auto Expo is on course this time. It will be held from 13 to 18 January 2023 in Noida.

Auto Expo

Some related news:

News
NH08 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th October 2022, 12:56   #15
BHPian

Guys, my family and I are planning on visiting Noida this year for the Auto Expo and this’ll be my first Auto Expo. I have a couple questions.
  1. Where do we buy tickets?
  2. We can only attend on the 13th evening, 14th and 15th as the other days are working days. Can the public attend on these days, or are these days only for journalists?
  3. What’s the whole flow of the event?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks