Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2021, 19:19   #61
BHPian

Re: Daylight robbery by Toyota | Some Glanza parts are priced 10x over Baleno's

Nice findings, it looks like they have priced it high to prevent conversion of MARUTI BALENO to TOYOTA GLANZA ! Interesting indeed.
Old 23rd August 2021, 00:01   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
We got two rims from Boodmo, while the other two are in processing. Here is how the car looks:

The side profile with Alloys looks awesome IMHO.
Friend & Bhpian gunin recently got an used Toyota Yaris J, which came with steel rims from factory. Since he was looking to upgrade to alloys, I suggested these. He also liked the design, the alloys were reasonably priced & were easily available.

Some photos:

Daylight robbery by Toyota | Some Glanza parts are priced 10x over Baleno's-1629656273178.jpg

Daylight robbery by Toyota | Some Glanza parts are priced 10x over Baleno's-1629656273215.jpg

Daylight robbery by Toyota | Some Glanza parts are priced 10x over Baleno's-1629656273247.jpg
chiranjitp is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th August 2021, 20:04   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
We got two rims from Boodmo, while the other two are in processing. Here is how the car looks:
The other two alloys also got delivered and finally the Yaris is complete with Suzuki alloys.

Daylight robbery by Toyota | Some Glanza parts are priced 10x over Baleno's-img20210828wa0037.jpg

Daylight robbery by Toyota | Some Glanza parts are priced 10x over Baleno's-img20210828wa0036.jpg
Leoshashi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th August 2021, 20:38   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
As an owner of Toyota(corolla altis) and Maruti(now Alto k10) i find the regular service bills are same. So I think Toyota is very competitive when it comes to consumables and service cost.
The thing with Toyota vehicles is consumable parts and routine services are reasonably priced while accident repairs plus body and engine part replacements can get very expensive. For e.g. my old Altis' side view mirror costs near about 20K including fitting even today at the TKM dealership. The HID auto levelling headlamp costs or at least used to cost ~65K each. Not sure about the latest prices though. HID headlamp bulb is/was a hideous 12-14K or thereabouts. SMH! I hate to think what the new LED headlamp assemblies and Lexus or Camry Hybrid headlamp assemblies cost!

Toyota premium? Yes, you bet! But the thing is these things go on for a long time if not decades unless abused. But no way is this rip off justified though. Better get a comprehensive policy for these vehicles. If you think you will get MSIL replacement part prices with the Toyota badge on the same car then you'll be in for an unpleasant surprise. IMHO Lexus > Toyota > rebadged MSIL products that's the way TKM views its product branding hierarchy in India. Also, methinks it's only a matter of time before Suzuki Motor Corp falls into the arms of "Mother" Toyota in Japan, a la Daihatsu & Subaru, and subsequently worldwide if only to survive the new hybrid and e-vehicle onslaught. SMC would struggle otherwise.
R2D2 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th August 2021, 14:38   #65
BHPian

Calling this daylight robbery is a bit like sensational or even tabloid journalism.

The hubcaps are one of the few parts which are different between Baleno and Yaris so a difference in price is expected too. It is naive to assume that two companies can sell similar parts for the same price and if they don't, the one with the higher price is committing daylight robbery. Their sourcing, logistics, and sales volumes all have a role in determining how much they need to charge you for any component.

Yes, it is a bit of a bummer to have to pay more for something which you could get for less but then if you want exactly what you want they you also have to pay its price.

Since your brother owns a Toyota, he would not have to deal with frequent rattles and inflated service bills (which is the norm at Maruti) where service advisors do a very hard-sell on decarbonizing, injector cleaning, special coolant, disinfecting, mount lubrication, and all those so-called value-added services which in reality add no value but just pure profits to the workshop.

Reliability and no-nonsense service are probably why your brother chose to buy a Yaris instead of Ciaz and he will get that with his eyes closed at Toyota. Expensive hub caps are a small price to pay for that in my opinion.

A practical solution might be to buy Toyota logo hub caps in your required size from Amazon, I see sets of 4 available for Rs. 800 online.

Quote:

Prologue: My brother owns a mid variant Yaris and we have planned to get Dzire's 15 inch alloys, since OEM Toyota alloys are so expensive. We decided to get Glanza's hubcaps to make it completely Toyota. At that point we didn't think much about the prices, since MGP Hubcap with Suzuki logo carries an MRP of Rs. 75. And it's not that they are of bad quality in any way. We thought Toyota's price would be similar if not less.

Today I reached out to my local Toyota workshop, and I was shocked at the price quoted to me. Rs. 832 per piece.

Essentially the same part as Baleno's, by perhaps the same Vendor, with a Different logo and price has been increased by over 10X! Well played Toyota!

Conclusion: The owners of these Marutis posing as Toyotas should be aware, they haven't just signed up for better service and warranty, they have also unknowingly become a member of the rip-off club. For parts which are common with Baleno, they can still opt for MGP and get away, but those carrying a Toyota logo will be charged heavily! I wonder if those Fortuners and Crystas carrying an eye watering price tag, actually cost that much to manufacture or is Toyota just reaping benefits of its immense Brand value in India, Food for thought!

Last edited by ff1609 : 30th August 2021 at 14:42.
ff1609 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2021, 15:29   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
If they price all these spare at similar or lower costs it is going to hurt them bad. Suzuki owner can easily spent just 1000 Rupees and convert their car to Toyota car that too with factory finish. They just want to prevent that by pricing these silly part 10 times higher than the original.
Wow. Never thought about this. You are correct. Will ask my friends who have Baleno whether they will try this!
Old 30th August 2021, 15:45   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ff1609 View Post
Calling this daylight robbery is a bit like sensational or even tabloid journalism.
It was definitely not meant to create any sensation, people buy Glanzas and Urban Cruisers for service and brand value but this difference in spares pricing(minor/major) is one fact which is conveniently forgotten. That is what this thread intends to highlight.

Quote:
Since your brother owns a Toyota, he would not have to deal with frequent rattles and inflated service bills (which is the norm at Maruti) where service advisors do a very hard-sell on decarbonizing, injector cleaning, special coolant, disinfecting, mount lubrication, and all those so-called value-added services which in reality add no value but just pure profits to the workshop.
It's a myth and I don't buy this logic that things like these are related to brands. Even Maruti can be cheap to own if the owner is aware of what's needed and what's not. There have been instances when people have been fleeced at Toyota also and I can assure you that I don't pay a dime for any useless exercise by workshops while getting my Marutis serviced. It all depends on your awareness, the workshop and ethics of a particular SA and is wrong to bring brands into these.

Quote:
Reliability and no-nonsense service are probably why your brother chose to buy a Yaris instead of Ciaz and he will get that with his eyes closed at Toyota.
Reliability and no nonsense service were something in which Ciaz would have fared better given the workshops in our city. It was me who recommended him the Yaris over Ciaz and City, purely because of 7 airbags at that price and guess what, a crash proved me wrong: Link (Toyota Innova Crysta ZX rolls over thrice! None of the 7 airbags deploy)

Our friend got some minor injury when this particular car was T-Boned by a City and the airbags didn't deploy. What use is the 7 airbags when your head has to bear the brunt of hitting against glass and trims?

Sorry for going off topic but what I mean to say is no brand is perfect and justifying highly priced spares for reliability and service doesn't work all the time.
Leoshashi is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks