Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2021, 15:09   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tata Motors stockyard in Haryana has been submerged in water

A pitiable sight - the dealer could adapt dubious means to dispose off these cars as new to unsuspecting customers. As such, a majority of the customers do the least of investigations for such damaged but reconditioned cars.

On the other hand, if the dealer adapts the honest path to dispose of these cars as flood damaged and discounted, our sympathies as the pandemic and lock downs have been to unkind to the dealerships. This unprecedented happening may further take the wind out of the dealer's sails.

Best preferred way is for Tata Motors with the insurers to come to the rescue.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2021, 08:29   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_robot View Post

Why are all the cars in white colour only?
I suppose we might be following the same trend like the US. Majority of the cars are White, Black, Grey/Silver. I was so glad to see a Yellow Tiago the other day.
twinblades is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th July 2021, 10:03   #18
BHPian

Quote:

Considering the amount of dust in our country, I think majority of the people prefer lighter shades as the dust doesn't easily show up as compared to darker colors.

One of my ex-colleagues had a black Verna. Looked real slick. But according to him it was a pain to maintain. A short drive in summer was enough to deposit visible amount of dust on it.
RedTerrano is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th July 2021, 10:33   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

They are not floating yet, perhaps good enough to be sold after some cleanup and a complimentary under body coating. The only other after effects could be exhaust rusting or wheel bearings , but that takes time.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2021, 10:35   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

And it's a worldwide problem. Recently, from Germany
Would that mean car makers would foresee to build cars with lesser electronics which can be easily repaired after floods or something like placing all the electronics on the top above the roof liner. Just a wild thought.
Old 24th July 2021, 10:58   #21
BHPian

I don't think all the cars will have massive flood damage.
Some of the Harriers seem to be okay. A good thorough clean up and inspection of the underbody should allay most fears about long term reliability.

All this is assuming no water got inside the cabin.

No customer will buy a car which has been through this phase regardless of the fact that they themselves might encounter a similar situation during their ownership of the car.

Tata could offer these cars with extended warranty as standard and a bit of discount to make sure the deal seems enticing.
Old 24th July 2021, 11:10   #22
BHPian

I was wondering how to electric cars behave during such situations like a flood or going through flooded roads?
hareshjethwani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2021, 11:15   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

On a positive note all buyers in Haryana should look for a color which isn't white so one of these would not be theirs

I have seen stockyards in much worse condition than this one. Plus our country has serious lack of proper drainage so cities getting flooded is a regular occurence. Last week I had to drive my Tiago in decent amount of water and when I got home cars front number plate was missing.
harry10 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 24th July 2021, 11:46   #24
Senior - BHPian

I am a 100% sure TATA will sell all those cars to various customers all over the country. The interiors can be cleaned back to stock. Care will be taken to ensure they look brand new but since the electronics and transmission cannot be checked thoroughly by the customers during delivery (PDI), these cars are going to be highly defective. Any cars manufactured till now should be avoided at all costs. Since TATA doesn't have great customer service, multiple complaints pouring in from these batch of cars will most likely go unheard. I would stay away from cars that are manufactured until Aug 2021. TATA won't claim any insurance and loose 10%. They are at the yard, so checking the components and fitting them back is not a big deal. I think these cars will be on offer at huge discounts towards the end of the year to clear stock.
Raghu M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2021, 11:53   #25
BHPian

Based on my limited knowledge, what I can say is: these cars would be auctioned off by the insurance company, and almost all would be bought by used car dealers, who would again sell them as "new, unregistered" cars at a lesser price than new cars.

Also, why are all the cars white in colour?
Old 24th July 2021, 12:18   #26

My bet is that if water has not entered the cabin, the cars will be sold off to the customers, as it would be very difficult for the customer to assess damage during pdi. Anyways, nowadays most of us go for extended warranty and so this, hopefully, should not be much if a problem.

After the 2015 floods in chennai a large number of cars, both old and new, were auctioned off by the insurance companies. So, I believe a mechanism is available to deal with eventualities like this.

Only praying that the cars insured, and the dealership did not try to save on insurance!!!
Old 24th July 2021, 12:48   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghu M View Post
I am a 100% sure TATA will sell all those cars to various customers all over the country.
Absolutely not trying to be confrontational, but how do you know this?

Got any insider news to share?

If not, then isn't this slander?
digitalnirvana is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 24th July 2021, 13:04   #28
BHPian

This reminds me of the infamous Mumbai floods in 2005 where I got my Zen submerged in water. It was parked in my Guest House in Sewree East. After the floods, the car could jump to a start but I started seeing all kinds of electric issues with the ignition circuit and dashboard controls in about couple of months; something like a slow disease!
gopa99 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th July 2021, 13:19   #29
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Sad situation. I don't see how TATA will come to rescue if its a dealer stockyard. Onus is on the dealer & we all know how he/she/they'll behave in a scenario like this. Even if insurance claim is made, I'm not sure if insurance will pay 100% of the value. So some loss the dealer will have to bear. Multiply the number of cars by the loss per car & we already know in which direction this is headed.
Old 24th July 2021, 13:31   #30
Senior - BHPian

The footage looks like it's been digitally manipulated. Kindly ensure the authenticity of the this post. As someone has mentioned car's are all in the same color and water level also looks manipulated.
Durango Dude is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed