Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Your preferred power source?
12V Lighter Socket 150 47.77%
USB Type-A Port 81 25.80%
USB Type-C Port 55 17.52%
Wireless Charging 28 8.92%
Voters: 314. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2021, 10:53   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 12V Socket vs USB Port vs Wireless: Your preferred way to charge?

The convenience of wireless charging is hard to beat. You get into the car and slide the phone into the wireless charging pad and by the time you are done with the commute, you have enough juice for the day! Do the same on your way back home at the end of the day, and if you have a sufficiently long commute, the phone should get enough juice to last the night. The fact that wireless charging damages the batteries or shortens its life does not bother me. No one uses the same phone for more than 2 years these days and as long as the battery lasts that long one is OK.

The poll forces you to choose one, but in reality, a combination is ideal. I would prefer a combination of a USB-A type socket, one USB C-Type and a wireless charger.
84.monsoon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th July 2021, 11:08   #17

Type C port for me as it would be compatible with all my apple devices without any need for additional converters/cables.
amarendernag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2021, 11:09   #18
BHPian

Voted for 12V Socket even though my car has USB output too.

I am okay if manufacturers push out cars without a USB socket but the 12V socket is a must-needed equipment due to its flexibility and wide range of possible uses.
Old 25th July 2021, 12:08   #19
BHPian

12V socket (probably 2 or more) if I am buying a car today as charging standards keep on changing (or perfecting) every two years or so but 12V socket gives me the flexibility to use different chargers (just like wall socket) hence I can upgrade my charging speed as the latest standard/my phone. We buy (or are forced to buy) mobile devices every 2-3 years but cars are not changed so frequently.

The future is for sure with USB-C ports but USB-C ports are right now restricted only to mobile devices/laptops. Also, right now the USB-C ports in cars (even USB-A) are all low on power delivery (restricted to 15W) which makes them slow to charge your phone or to be used for any other purpose.
Old 25th July 2021, 12:11   #20
Senior - BHPian

My first preference is a 12V port, because I can not only charge phones, but also for charging my laptop with the Belkin charger attached. This apart, I can connect my air inflator to it.

But I also like the 2 USB A ports provided in my Ecosport. Both of them can be used for Android Auto/ Car Play, unlike the 2 ports in the Verna, where one is only for charging the phone.

I don't have high-end phones, so wireless charging does not make sense to me. And Type C ports still need a few years to be widely accepted.

OT: Can I leave the USB cable connected to the port in the car always? I am not sure if it will drain power from the battery, so I invariably remove it. But such frequent connect and remove steps might cause damage to the USB port in the long run.

Any clues?

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 25th July 2021 at 22:37. Reason: Typo
vnabhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2021, 12:18   #21
BHPian

USB Type-C has long term reliability issues.

So I have an Android phone with type C charger that I have been using for 2.5 years now. And within 2 years, the type C socket of the phone has become loose and the charger keeps slipping out very frequently.

So I am not sure a type c would hold for 5 years or not and hence my vote goes to cigarette lighter slot.
puneetakhouri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2021, 12:29   #22
BHPian

Have a Type A fast charging port on both dashboard and middle row in my Hexa. Couldn’t ask for more.

The front one also activates Android Auto. Plus have a lighter socket which has the dashcam connected to it which has a normal USB port integrated for charging. So can use that if I don’t need AA.

Type A fast charge is more than enough for the next couple years IMO.
TROOPER is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2021, 12:34   #23
BHPian

Voted for USB type A on the poll.
To be honest I would also prefer having 12V socket for tyre pressure machine, faster charging etc.

I’ve not owned a car with a wireless charging pad yet, but I have some questions.
1) Many reviews and reports says that the charging is really slow. Does it depend from car to car? From Hyundai Creta to maybe a E class.
2) Do those cars have an option to turn off/on the charger? Because it will be really useful on long journeys to keep your phone on that (which is designed to) and not unnecessarily charge or waste energy.
Old 25th July 2021, 12:59   #24
BHPian

Why not all! Specially when the car can accommodate that in spaces without making it an eyesore.
When the car companies are throwing all the bells and whistles these days, why fall short on this, specially when there's already an ecosystem existing for various accessory types compatible with only 12V.
Which is one of the reasons why I absolutely love the various options provided(including an hdmi port!) under the hand rest, in my good old 4 th Gen CR-V.
Attached Thumbnails
12V Socket vs USB Port vs Wireless: Your preferred way to charge?-img_20201122_134456.jpg  

Old 25th July 2021, 13:28   #25
BHPian

I voted for 12v since it is more versatile and can support the Tyre pressure equipment and I have a 12v powered Car Jack that is absolutely useful when I have to replace flat tyre and has come in handy multiple times.

Converting these equipments to use any other port is not a possibility unless newer equipments come with a newer ports usage - I will opt for Type-C in that case since many are changing to start using Type-C including Laptops.

So, until there is change in the manufacturing of the accessories to use Type-C, I will prefer to continue to have the 12v.
Old 25th July 2021, 13:30   #26
BHPian

Voted for 12v charging port. This leaves us free to choose whatever charger we want. Different phones support different charging protocols these days. Am quite sure even the USB-C ports that come on cars do not support the super fast charging speeds that come on many phones these days. This is a personal need for me, not necessarily every individual has this need. Same constraint applies to wireless charging speeds and protocols as well..

And I use a magnetic adapter to protect the USB-C port on my phone. Otherwise they tend to become loose after repeated use.

12V Socket vs USB Port vs Wireless: Your preferred way to charge?-20210725_083152.jpg

12V Socket vs USB Port vs Wireless: Your preferred way to charge?-20210725_083224.jpg

This magnetic adapter is also darn useful while driving. I just need to bring the cable end close to the port and it clicks on by itself without me hunting for the port and causing an unsafe situation for myself and others around.

12V Socket vs USB Port vs Wireless: Your preferred way to charge?-20210725_083259.jpg

And with the right charger it gives me full speed charging as well for all my devices (including my Macbook!). This is possible only through a 12v outlet, not an inbuilt USB port of any kind.

12V Socket vs USB Port vs Wireless: Your preferred way to charge?-20210725_083320.jpg
alphahere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th July 2021, 14:16   #27
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

most important Q to ask :

will any usb socket (type A/C) provide as much wattage as a 180W 12V socket ? (this will have a 15A or 20A fuse).
It doesn't matter if we have all the adapters in the world, but will it be possible to connect a car vaccum or tyre inflator , that is decently powerful (150W) ? the permutations/combinations of different adapters is not at all the real question, as you can see. The DC current value (another version of wattage) that can be sourced, is.
Old 25th July 2021, 16:43   #28
BANNED

12v Socket it is.

Cause in the odd chance that it's the Zombie Apocalypse and I get stuck inside my car, I can tap power out of a 12v socket without even an adapter present.

Can't say the same about any of the other options, at least with confidence as even a caveman with clubbed fingers can tap power out of a 12v Socket.

Regards,
A.P.
Old 25th July 2021, 16:52   #29
BHPian

Voted for 12V, for its versatility.

Maybe some time in future, type C will become ubiquitous. Till then my vote is for the 12V.
With the Govt plans of booting out the spare wheel, the tyre infiltrator becomes an even more important accessory.
Old 25th July 2021, 20:29   #30
BHPian

12v socket please. I can use it for so many things. Use it as a lighter, use it for charging my phone, running a fridge, running a compressor, running some sort of jerry rigged lights for a camp, etc etc.

Can a USB port do the same? I think not.
If possible, I would prefer the 220VAC socket as it can solve the issue of plugs too!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks