Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2007, 18:22   #1
BHPian

EDIT: NOW LAUNCHED :Coming up next : Fusion 1.4 Diesel at 6.49 lacs ex-showroom Delhi

Diesel seems to be the buzz word in the Indian compact car segment. Ford is now sharpening its weapon to take on the swift diesel and the to-be-launched Getz diesel, reports CNBC-TV18.

Ford's bet in the hatchback segment, Fusion, has not really paid off! Even after a facelift last year, it currrently sells only less than 250 units per month. And to improve that performance, Ford is now set to roll out a diesel Fusion.

Sources say, the new offering should be in by July. It will be powered by the Fiesta's frugal 1399 cc engine and is expected to be priced around Rs 6 lakh.

Ford could be trying to reduce the Fusion's length by 18 milimeters, so it comes within 4 meters and can avail lower excise duty. And that would make it a strong competitor to the swift diesel and the diesel Getz planned by Hyundai.

Ford's diesel offering in the midsize segment, the Fiesta diesel has been well received by customers. And it would hope to do the same with the Fusion diesel. Currently close to 20% of sales in the compact car segment comes from diesel cars. With the forthcoming additions from Ford and Hyundai, and also Maruti ramping up its diesel engine production, the compact car segment will get more torque for growth.

Moneycontrol India :: News :: Ford gets ready to tap diesel mkt :: :: Business :: Diesel,compact car segment,Ford,Getz diesel,Fiesta',Hyundai

How many of you are waiting for Swift D ? My bet is this one.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 11th May 2007 at 18:44.
Old 11th May 2007, 18:59   #2
Senior - BHPian

What took it so long?? Homologation was done or was in the process of being done a long time back...

EDIT : 6L is almost Swift VDi territory...

Last edited by sajo : 11th May 2007 at 19:00.
Old 11th May 2007, 19:09   #3
BHPian

Wow ! That's news ! yes, why did it take such a long time? When the new fusion was launched at an attractive price & a decent face lift, media's reported that there will be no Diesel option.

18 MM is 1.8 CMS right? Should 'nt that be an easy job? pardon my ignorance. So do we have mild / slight chance that Fiesta will get a 1.6 TDCi? If they get 1.6 TDCi for fiesta, May be they could plank the 1.4 TDCi in Ikon too. It will sell again. wont it?

Let's wait and watch...

Cheers,
Jai

Last edited by nevertouchme : 11th May 2007 at 19:11.
Old 11th May 2007, 19:14   #4
BHPian

^ Yeah there is a slight chance that the Fiesta would be getting the 1.6 TDCi version. Someone at Ford told me this bit of news few months back that the Fusion would be getting the Fiesta's TDCi engine and the Fiesta getting a new engine. I agree the Ikon would sell like hot cakes with the new diesel engine plonked in it. The Ikon 1.8D had been selling very well in the market.

-Absar
Old 11th May 2007, 19:54   #5
Team-BHP Support

Its nice of Ford to finally give the Fusion what it needed the most - a diesel engine. Its sad that it took so long coming. However, they will bungle up with the pricing. At 6 lakhs which is ex-showroom, it will work out to a close to 7 lakhs when on road, which is Fiesta territory. If you ask me, i would prefer a Fiesta over the Fusion.

Plonking in a TDCi on the Ikon is the BEST thing that Ford can do to counter the Swift-D. I am sure it will have many takers.
Old 11th May 2007, 20:11   #6
BHPian

now this is a car i have been waiting for since a very very long time!!i am a big fan of the fusion and i guess with a diesel powerplant people will finally start appreciating the practical aspects of this wonderful car/suv/cross-over or rather 'fusion'!!
the 1.4l engine would be the ideal choice too as it gives enough mileage and though a bit low on power,adequate for most purposes!!
Old 11th May 2007, 20:13   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Plonking in a TDCi on the Ikon is the BEST thing that Ford can do to counter the Swift-D. I am sure it will have many takers.
yeah,if priced right,the swift will have serious competition
Old 11th May 2007, 21:35   #8
Senior - BHPian

LOL this month is gr8 for my dad he loves the fusion was just waiting for its Diesl version. I hope its for 6.25 max drool fusion is coming home
Old 11th May 2007, 22:07   #9
Senior - BHPian

Plonking the 1.4 TDCI in the Ikon would definitely be great (it would probably sell like hot cakes), but then who would buy the fusion with the 1.4 tdci then (It might even eat into the Fiesta's sales unless Fiesta has a more powerful diesel).

They have substantial investments in the Fusion and want to sell more cars even if that means not even considering other options.
Old 11th May 2007, 22:07   #10
BHPian

6L for an oilburner? Must be an ex-showroom price at some location in India which must charge very little sales tax. The regular petrol is more 6.2L on road in Bangalore.

The Fusion is a great vehicle, though I've often found the steering stiffer than it should be in my friend's vehicle. Maybe it's those large 15" radials, or I've been driving too many softies. The Diesel block will put a little more pressure on the front suspension. The Fusion anyway already felt like a Lady's SUV. Diesel is a welcome addition.

A very intelligently packaged car, really. Nice features too. But many in the market are still trying to see the point.
Old 11th May 2007, 22:25   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
It might even eat into the Fiesta's sales unless Fiesta has a more powerful diesel.
1.6 Diesel is also on the cards may be by year end
Old 11th May 2007, 22:28   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Even if the 1.6 TDCi is launched, ford would still produce the 1.4TDCi. That way, it would appear to a larger segment of buyers.
As for the Fusion, well if the sales are great, this just may be the car for many buyers.
Old 11th May 2007, 23:38   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
Even if the 1.6 TDCi is launched, ford would still produce the 1.4TDCi. That way, it would appear to a larger segment of buyers.
As for the Fusion, well if the sales are great, this just may be the car for many buyers.

There are quite a few scenario's here

If 1.6 TDCI is launched for the Fiesta, and they price it higher than the Existing prices of the 1.4 tdci, it would have to fight a separate market segment in which there would be the Elantra/Octavia and the soon to be launched Optra diesel. So the option is to reduce prices of the 1.4 tdci Fiesta and launch 1.6 tdci Fiesta at the current 1.4 tdci prices. In which case Fusion and Fiesta 1.4 tdci's would be dangerously close in which case Fusion would take a hit (even if it benefits from lower excise).

If the 1.6 tdci is not launched, its a different ballgame.

But if I was at Ford, I would gun for the entry level diesel sedan with the 1.4 tdci Ikon, a diesel sedan market will not be impressed by the diesel hatch (unless priced lower). I dont see Fusion anywhere in the map. SUVish looks do not justify higher than sedans prices for what is essentially a hatch.

Last edited by 1100D : 11th May 2007 at 23:40.
Old 11th May 2007, 23:46   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by carfreak View Post
yeah,if priced right,the swift will have serious competition
Are you guys serious or what ? the swift is wayyyyy beyond the ikon which is in the league of the accent & the esteem. moreover it is a sedan whereas the swift is a hatch & remember, indians love hatches.
Old 11th May 2007, 23:53   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

This is one of those "Why didnt we think of this before" moves. Better late than never anyway. And yes - if Ford does shorthen the Fusion's length and plonk this diesel it has another success from its Indian education

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks