Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2021, 17:33   #1
Senior - BHPian

Ford Aspire to get a 6-speed automatic option

Last week, Ford launched the Figo AT with a 6-speed automatic transmission. Well, according to one report, the Aspire AT is now on the horizon.

Ford Aspire to get a 6-speed automatic option-newfordaspiresedan.jpg

Ford is likely to offer the automatic transmission on the petrol version of the Aspire. It uses the same 1.2-litre engine that is offered in the hatchback. This unit produces 95 BHP and 119 Nm.

The 6-speed automatic gearbox has a Sport Mode that makes the gearshifts quicker and SelectShift which allows the driver to change the gears manually using a toggle switch on the gearshift lever.

The Figo AT is available in two variants - Titanium and Titanium+. It will be interesting to see how the Aspire AT is positioned in relation to its main rivals - Tata Tigor, Maruti Suzuki Dzire and the Honda Amaze.

Source: CarandBike

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 27th July 2021 at 17:35.
TusharK is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 27th July 2021, 19:07   #2

Re: Ford Aspire to get a 6-speed automatic option

While this is very much a welcome decision , Ford India must immediately clear the air surrounding it's rumored exit. A number of potential customers might be discouraged due to the lack of clarity about Ford's future in India.

As far as the product itself is concerned, the Aspire is still a better bet than it's 3 main rivals. The build quality is on par, if not better, and the safety features in the titanium Plus variant coupled with cheap maintenance , a decent NA petrol engine and now, a 6 speed AT makes it the best VFM compact sedan on sale.
AllisWell is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th July 2021, 19:11   #3
BHPian

This is not helping, Ford need an aggressive product strategy and not add ons to existing platforms. There is nothing exciting from Ford's stable after Ecosport and Endeavour.

Sleeping after success of Ecosport and letting sub4 meter slip away, no product in 4.2-4.6M space, discontinuing 3.2 endeavour are the ford blunders.

Figo and Aspire is a crowded space and not typical Ford / VAG forte. They are doing same mistake that Honda did with Jazz.
Asoon is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2021, 20:45   #4
BHPian

Now Freestyle please. If Tata can do a NRG, surely Ford can too.
Sidban85 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 27th July 2021, 22:56   #5
BHPian

I drive Aspire (D) and if that comes mated with 6 speed TC then it would be the best combo in this segment. IMO better than Amaze diesel CVT

But no! Ford will bring automatic only for petrol and competition will keep gaining market share. Nice way to kiss the 'opportunity' goodbye
Old 28th July 2021, 04:39   #6
BANNED

As the owner of Ford Aspire DCT, I have just one thing to say, please pack up and leave. These guys don't know anything about Indian consumers even after being here for 20 years. Ford doesn't deserve to be here at all. Pathetic management with no vision at all. Squandered the life time opportunity of bringing a Creta rival when they were the first to bring EcoSport! Look at what Creta and Seltos did in their segment. EcoSport owners were left with no choice of upgrades. These stupids deserved this fate.
Old 28th July 2021, 09:57   #7
BHPian

Although I do not have much expectations from Ford due to their own undoing I hope they price it aggressively. Last time around Aspire automatic came only with 1.5l engine which led to an on road price of 9.5 lakhs 3 years ago. How many Indians would have plonked million rupees on a compact sedan that hasn't been selling well.

TC with frugal 1.2 dragon engine seems a good option though and I wish it was launched with the facelift in 2018 so that I could have given it a shot. Wish Ford good luck. Good cars, poor decisions!
Old 28th July 2021, 10:19   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisWell View Post
While this is very much a welcome decision , Ford India must immediately clear the air surrounding it's rumored exit. A number of potential customers might be discouraged due to the lack of clarity about Ford's future in India.
Why would they introduce new variants if they wanted to exit?
Old 28th July 2021, 10:27   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Why would they introduce new variants if they wanted to exit?

A brand new model will certainly put these rumors to rest in my opinion but making tweaks and adding gear box combinations in the existing models is not exactly confidence inspiring.

If Ford India really intends to stays, then I do believe a proper announcement will make a long way in assuring the existing customers and inspire confidence in the hearts of potential new customers to proactively consider Ford's products and put their hard earned money on it.
Old 28th July 2021, 11:33   #10

The very first car I test drove after I got my drivers license was the Ford Aspire automatic (1.5 petrol). It was an absolute pleasure to drive except for the biege interiors which was a deal breaker for me. It's high time Ford India provides Apple CarPlay / Android Auto; good headlights with LED daytime running lamps and see their products fly off the shelves!
dnabhi25 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2021, 18:43   #11
BHPian

Ford Aspire AT has started arriving in dealerships. I saw the car in person today. The official announcement of the launch can be expected anytime soon.
skarthiksr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2021, 19:17   #12
Senior - BHPian

What every company in India needs is a Diesel hatchback, sedan in the 5 to 12 lakh range with a torque converter mated 6 speed transmission, right from a Swift to a Ciaz to a Brezza to an Figo to an Ecosport to whatever else comes in that range.

Then see the charts hit the roof of whoever does it first.
humyum is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 11th August 2021, 22:08   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
What every company in India needs is a Diesel hatchback, sedan in the 5 to 12 lakh range with a torque converter mated 6 speed transmission, right from a Swift to a Ciaz to a Brezza to an Figo to an Ecosport to whatever else comes in that range.

Then see the charts hit the roof of whoever does it first.
Those days are gone. The market for diesel is shrinking day by day especially in hatchback and compact SUV segments. Diesel altroz and nexon are better to drive and far more efficient than their petrol counterparts but majority of the sales comes from petrol models. Kia sonet has both diesel manual ,TC boxes along with petrol but their numbers are not touching the roof
NICHE is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2021, 08:44   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NICHE View Post
Those days are gone
but majority of the sales comes from petrol models. Kia sonet has both diesel manual ,TC boxes along with petrol but their numbers are not touching the roof
Disagree. Diesel variants would still be the prefereed choice but only if reasonably priced.

The difference in the sales is because of the atrocious pricing of the diesel variants. With approx. Rs.1.5-2L OTR difference between the petrol and diesel variants, it would take ages to recover the additional amount spent despite a substantial difference in FE.

Most manufacturers, it seems wanted to volutarily part away with diesel engines and not wanted to risk, given the emission norms getting stricter by the day.

In fact, ford priced its diesel variants sensibly compared to other manufacturers however with DPF issues etc. now. I would also go the distance and say that Ford would have been selling more percentage of diesel cars than their petrol counterparts.

All in all, given the market sentiment, I feel that Figo/Aspire/Freestyle petrol auto variants would not really garner even showroom footfalls, forget a bump in the sales figures. These variants were probably introduced to cater for the exports. However this Engine, powertrain combo could potentially be used if they ever planned to introduce a new car in the near future.

Last edited by jetsetgo08 : 12th August 2021 at 08:47.
jetsetgo08 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2021, 11:20   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NICHE View Post
Those days are gone. The market for diesel is shrinking day by day especially in hatchback and compact SUV segments. Diesel altroz and nexon are better to drive and far more efficient than their petrol counterparts but majority of the sales comes from petrol models. Kia sonet has both diesel manual ,TC boxes along with petrol but their numbers are not touching the roof
The Sonet diesel automatic has a 5 month waiting list, that's near the roof for the price. There are very few decent offerings in the market, diesel is still the fuel of choice if you do long distance drives.

This car will be a dud, Ford should have cut their losses in this segment and developed a diesel automatic for the Ecosport, it would have been a great replacement for those moving on from their hatchbacks. Ford simply cannot compete in this segment, I can't see anyone putting their money on this car.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks