Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2021, 19:39   #1
Senior - BHPian

Toyota Yaris hatchback spotted testing in Delhi

Toyota Yaris hatchback spotted testing in Delhi.

Toyota Yaris hatchback spotted testing in Delhi-smartselect_20210802193550_youtube.jpg

Toyota Yaris hatchback spotted testing in Delhi-smartselect_20210802193616_youtube.jpg

Toyota Yaris hatchback spotted testing in Delhi-smartselect_20210802193632_youtube.jpg

Last edited by Venkatesh : 2nd August 2021 at 19:40.
Venkatesh is offline   (54) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2021, 09:34   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Toyota Yaris hatchback spotted testing in Delhi

Toyota Yaris hatchback spotted testing in Delhi - Post moved to a new thread.
Aditya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2021, 10:09   #3
Senior - BHPian

In most probability, this Yaris Hatch has very very low chance, of being launched in India.

Toyota already has the 'ready-made' Glanza/Baleno.
abhishek46 is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2021, 10:36   #4
BHPian

This should be a good one for the Indian market, at the so called premium hatchback segment. But it is Toyota and they feel Indians dont deserve anything more than some rebadged cars from MS.

But even if they decide to launch it, I am quiet sure it would be with their popular CVT and a NA petrol, which would ultimatly fail just like the previous Yaris sedan. It is not the car that is bad, it is the power train option selected for India causing the failure.

The Yaris Hatch with a good turbo petrol with a TC/DCT would be a great car!
jayendra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2021, 11:33   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

I have a strange feeling this is actually some Engine/Gearbox/Component testing going on for Yaris based Crossover/SUV;

Toyota Yaris hatchback spotted testing in Delhi-001.jpg

^ Toyota India has said they are going to launch a Hyundai Creta rival product & this may be it.

Target launch date should be mid 2022.
karan561 is offline   (46) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2021, 11:34   #6
BHPian

If and only if Toyota plans to launch the Yaris hatchback in our market then the only combo that can make it an instant success is 1.5-liter hybrid petrol mated to a 6-speed torque convertor. Otherwise, they should keep on with the 'unwanted' rebadged MS cars in the sub 15-lakh segment.

Last edited by AROO7 : 3rd August 2021 at 11:52. Reason: Minor typo
AROO7 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2021, 14:16   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Toyota Yaris hatchback spotted testing in Delhi.

https://Youtu.be/3XJPibeOr3w
The million dollar question...
Are we getting the GR Yaris in india?
joekevin is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2021, 14:57   #8
BHPian

They must not name it the Yaris if they sell this in India. The name is jinxed.
lemedico is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2021, 15:33   #9
BHPian

If true then its a great news!!
New product from Toyota's stable after long time (rebadging does not count)

Toyota enjoys major share in 15L+ segment, similar to to what Maruti has in <10L segment. Innova and Fortuner practically owns their respective segments.

I always wondered if Toyota has so much trust in 15+ segment then it will have a strong head start in 10-15 SUV segment, then why did it let Hyundi / Kia take away this space after Duster proved segment's potential. Toyotas are known for reliability and is aspirational brand for someone who is upgrading from his/ her car in 5-12 L segment.

It can be assumed that no performance version is coming to India.

Here is the problem
Toyota is entering a crowded / competitive space, if the offering is not significantly better than incumbents (Creta, Seltos etc.) then it will turn out to be disaster.
This is the same playbook as Yaris sedan, launched against City/ Verna both good products and Yaris was not equipped & designed to shake the segment.

Also, Indian customers have already rejected Scross (even though it was suzuki), Capture, BRV because customers do-not want Cross overs. Bold, Boxy & muscular design will work for this segment. Yaris in its regular version will fall under this category. Customers donot want to pay for a car whose perception is Hatchback++.

I hope it is cross version of Yaris (executed really well to outplay looks of Korean cross overs) and has right bells & whistles to create its space in 9-18L family SUV/ Crossover segment.
Asoon is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2021, 16:29   #10
Senior - BHPian

This is great news IMO I hope Toyota actually brings a global product like this to our country soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayendra View Post
The Yaris Hatch with a good turbo petrol with a TC/DCT would be a great car!
Honestly I would rather get an NA petrol with a TC/CVT as this is the kind of car I would buy for my parents and I have no inclination for them to be dependent on the warranty and authorized service center to handle complex turbocharged motors and twin clutch automatic gearboxes that would simply increase the maintenance costs.
IshaanIan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2021, 16:52   #11
BHPian

Really excited about this! However, the strong point that could work in favour of Toyota would be their 1.5L Hybrid engine whether they use it for the Yaris hatchback or the Yaris Cross.

If not for the hybrid version, Toyota will not be able to justify the price - whatever that's going to be, they won't be able to price it more aggressively than the Nissan Magnite which looks equally good or even better than the Yaris Cross. The smaller 1.0L turbo engine of the Magnite would continue to enjoy the tax benefit when compared to Toyota's 1.5L NA engine, thanks to our stupid tax system!

Toyota's 1.5L engine produces 114bhp and the hybrid powertrain means the car will feature the e-CVT gearbox which is superior than the regular CVT. The hybrid version has a claimed FE of approx 65 mpg which translates to 27.4 kmpl. Plus, no hassles of charging the battery and no range anxiety. Finally, Toyota's reliability will be the icing on the cake!

Yesterday a full tank of petrol cost me nearly 4000 bucks @ 107.72 per litre. Back in the day, we could buy 4 grams of gold for this price. Come on, don't we need an affordable hybrid car in our country?

Last edited by denny_ace : 3rd August 2021 at 16:59. Reason: A sentence rearranged
denny_ace is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2021, 17:51   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
I have a strange feeling this is actually some Engine/Gearbox/Component testing going on for Yaris based Crossover/SUV;

Attachment 2187842

^ Toyota India has said they are going to launch a Hyundai Creta rival product & this may be it.

Target launch date should be mid 2022.
Very unlikely Toyota is going to bring the TNGA-B platform car (Yaris Cross) to India! What was point of rebadging MS cars then? They could have brought TNGA cars before that itself.

What I believe the Yaris is doing here is, like you said component testing for the Creta-rival which is going to be jointly made by both Toyota and Maruti-Suzuki and not for the Yaris Cross.
CEF_Beasts is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 5th August 2021, 15:41   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
This is great news IMO I hope Toyota actually brings a global product like this to our country soon

Honestly I would rather get an NA petrol with a TC/CVT as this is the kind of car I would buy for my parents and I have no inclination for them to be dependent on the warranty and authorized service center to handle complex turbocharged motors and twin clutch automatic gearboxes that would simply increase the maintenance costs.
Echoe your opinion mate For my parents as well, who live in a remote town of Tamilnadu, I would definitely prefer a less complex "NA engine with TC/CVT combo" from Toyota. So, we are also eagerly looking for this hatch from Toyota.
ashking101 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2021, 18:15   #14
BHPian

The model shown above is the Yaris Hybrid model sold in the European markets. Most likely it is being tested here for some components. I am sure Toyota has no plans of selling this model in India.

Picture from Toyota UK website:

Name:  heroexterior4_040.png
Views: 3129
Size:  116.3 KB
Simhi is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th August 2021, 22:43   #15
Senior - BHPian

This gen Mazda 2 (aka Toyota Yaris) is a nice car and people in the US love it for the premium economy it offers. But knowing Toyota, it might be a power train test vehicle for the upcoming Toyota-Suzuki crossover to take on the Koreans.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joekevin View Post
The million dollar question...
Are we getting the GR Yaris in india?
Even if you do, expect it to rival Ford Mustang on price (and performance)
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed