Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2021, 16:47   #136
BHPian

Re: Hyundai N Line performance models to make India debut in 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG1 View Post

Polo is a fine car, but VW selling older gen car here feels discriminatory. But then, to each his own.
Unfortunately the Indian mass market segments are discriminated against in one way or the other.
Polo - Discrimination by selling an old gen car
i20 - Discrimination by selling a structurally compromised car

Rant over

That said, I’m happy to see performance oriented hatches in India. Credit where it’s due. It may not be a hot hatch per say, but it does have some deeper changes to the suspension etc. Who knows, if this does well, we might see the true blue i20 N in India someday!

Last edited by GTO : 28th August 2021 at 08:30. Reason: Quoted post has been deleted, hence...
Aaron:) is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th August 2021, 17:41   #137
Senior - BHPian

Let me first share some visual images of the Indian N Line and overseas N line.

Hyundai N Line performance models to make India debut in 2021-hyundaii20_n_line2021102401.jpg

Hyundai N Line performance models to make India debut in 2021-hyundaii20_n_line2021102403.jpg

Hyundai N Line performance models to make India debut in 2021-hyundaii20_n_line2021102406.jpg

Hyundai N Line performance models to make India debut in 2021-hyundaii20_n_line2021102407.jpg

Hyundai N Line performance models to make India debut in 2021-hyundaii20_n_line2021102408.jpg

Hyundai N Line performance models to make India debut in 2021-hyundaii20nlinegallerymidpc1120x6001.jpg

Hyundai N Line performance models to make India debut in 2021-hyundaii20nlinegallerymidpc1120x6009.jpg

Hyundai N Line performance models to make India debut in 2021-hyundaii20nlinegallerymidpc1120x60013.jpg

Hyundai N Line performance models to make India debut in 2021-hyundaii20nlineinteriorpcmid1120x6001.jpg

There are many similarities you see, including the design of alloy wheels and interior.

Now, what Hyundai has done has taken the bodyshell of the Indian i20 and some select mechanicals of the overseas N line with some design embellishments and called the N line. I don't see anything wrong. The same concept was applied in the Indian Abarth Punto (take the bodyshell of Indian Punto evo and fit the mechanicals of 2007-2010 grande Punto Abarth 199) with similar design wheels. I wanted that car. I got it, and I am happy about it.

For people cribbing about 17 inch wheels, our roads are still in bad share that 45 profile tyres will end up in bursting their sidewall every now and then. My abarth is still on 16" and I have no intent to fit 17".

For people discriminating the price ONLY because of bodystyle, we need to understand that this car has a purpose. This is not meant for every tom dick and harry who will buy to brag about this and to show off (we cannot predict that though). A 200 bhp XUV7OO will never be as dynamically sorted as the N line nor as perceivably niggle free. Remember, a crossover with brick like aerodynamics and high perched stance is not a track weapon.

And, horsepower is not everything, how it is delivered it is. All BS6 cars are slower simply due to the degraded fuel quality compared to Europe and our irrational demands of everything without understanding the logic.

Purists or so called pseudo enthusiasts do not build a car manufacturing business. Remember, even in the OEMs, there are some enthusiasts who give a zillion proposals to make a business case and after lot of proposals its accepted or rejected.

What happened to swift sport? Jimny?
Why did the A45S not come to India in hatch?
Where is the Audi RS3?
We got the Palio 1.6 in 2001. I own one of 2006 make. Fast forward to 2021, the most powerful India made hatch makes 120 bhp. Thats how we have progressed, just 20 horses in 20 years.

The Polo GTI with 192 bhp bombed. Price? or features deleted? or what? It was an automatic.

The Abarth Punto bombed. Overpowered? or criticised for having a raised stance with apollo tyres?

What is the Polo GT TSI?

Nothing, its an overrated car which has nothing to be called a USP. Its priced high for an obsolete model, and you charge 50K just for a black mirror cap and spoiler and 2 GT badges and delete sporty pedals, armrest and second remote key with no suspension tuning, SUV like GC, poor steering feel, poor brakes and uncomfortable seats and no equipment and this is called an enthusiast car. Lol.

On another side, a mass market brand is launching a semi sport hatch for what all of us enthusiasts can enjoy daily and weekend, with the family and individual, with factory tuned suspension and all wheel discs and a bespoke exhaust note and its criticized without even people driving it.

0-100 is not everything. Its how you connect to the car, how the feel is there its about. And todays consumer wants gizmos, you are getting it. So, gizmos and drive pleasure without the need to go too much into aftermarket. As an abarth Punto owner, you get treated like a second grade citizen in performance workshops because for them the polo business is a cash cow. A car which got fundamentals of factory engineering wrong in first place. VW can never match the fundamentals of Fiat engineering, and newer Hyundais are on their way for a good driving pleasure.

We welcome this car. This is what I actually want. A reasonably fast, latest tech, gizmo laden AT hatch which can be fun on the twisties with the right tyres (get that pilot sport 4) as well as daily chores of city and highway. More cars you will see, you will automatically get aftermarket support. Thats what is business.

Its time this overrated polo craze is gone through and we see something we only get to see in occasions, a semi sport hatch with looks, features and character.

Good one, Hyundai. And this should be marketed properly, and if it is, this will sell. If all is planned, I may buy it by next summer. Suits to my requirements, plus all of us can cherish the 18 year old college boy in us. Have we forgotten our teenage times? NO. So, a fast NA manual, a fast turbo manual and a feature loaded fun semi sport DCT. Fun garage, isn't it?

We as Indians should move 20 years ahead, not stay 20 years behind. Again, between 2001 and 2021, only 20 horsepower progress.

Sad.

Last edited by sidindica : 27th August 2021 at 17:48.
sidindica is offline   (59) Thanks
Old 27th August 2021, 17:42   #138
GBX
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhphog View Post
But hey, 30% stiffness is what we get and Hyundai wants to think of this as an enthusiasts car.
JTP with tuned suspension was launched to critical acclaim and highly recommended by enthusiasts. Altroz Turbo with same drivetrain but soggy suspension, nobody cares.

You're wrong to assume a car with well tuned suspension wouldn't be appreciated by enthusiasts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhphog View Post
Like Seriously Hyundai, please stick your Creta's and i10s. We don't need you in the affordable enthusiasts category.
Don't like it? Don't buy it. No need for gatekeeping.
GBX is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 27th August 2021, 17:58   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBX View Post
JTP with tuned suspension was launched to critical acclaim and highly recommended by enthusiasts. Altroz Turbo with same drivetrain but soggy suspension, nobody cares.
I never said that drivetrain is all that matters. I still say only suspension tweaking can't do a damn thing. That's what makes a good car when all the components work in sync to deliver and deliver fast confidence inspiring drive.

As for your point, please do take into account aspects like the weight, CG, weight distribution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBX View Post
Don't like it? Don't buy it. No need for gatekeeping.
Thanks for your valuable opinion, I shall cherish people like you who are making the way for "Faster Cars" (althought not even a % fast)
Why this laughable trim of a fairly decent car was needed to awaken the enthusiasts here is beyond me.

Last edited by bhphog : 27th August 2021 at 18:01.
bhphog is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th August 2021, 21:04   #140
Distinguished - BHPian

i20 N-Line N6 variant spotted at a dealership.

Hyundai N Line performance models to make India debut in 2021-03fd4b99a4da4b27a840d8adfaecfdb2.jpeg

Hyundai N Line performance models to make India debut in 2021-9682bf5d79b749e3b989b49473d6d183.jpeg

Hyundai N Line performance models to make India debut in 2021-362b10462b744d74a1010d6797fd5496.jpeg

https://www.facebook.com/groups/rush...5567309707729/
CEF_Beasts is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 27th August 2021, 21:58   #141

I think it's commendable that Hyundai has tried to spice things up to at least a minimum level. I mean the new N steering and the fruitier exhaust took me by surprise! But 15L OTR makes me consider the more "normal" looking Polo TSI.

Just stumbled across Car Throttle's video tracking the N-Line and the i20 N.

Ax0TD is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th August 2021, 22:45   #142

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
Let me first share some visual images of the Indian N Line and overseas N line.?

We as Indians should move 20 years ahead, not stay 20 years behind. Again, between 2001 and 2021, only 20 horsepower progress.

Sad.
I couldn't have explained it any better, thank you for adding something sensible in the barrage of hate. The things with cars is that you can't express how it feels to drive a car from the specs sheet, most people judge a car mostly from the horsepower or the 0-60 times but the driving experience is much more than that. Such reasons are proof of why the Miata is revered among enthusiasts and car lovers. Most folks aren't aware that Albert Biermann who is ex-VP of BMW \\M Division is now leading the Kia-Hyundai N division and the new N cars are getting wide appreciation from journalists and critics globally. No other manufacturer understands the Indian audience as well as Hyundai does, even with horrible safety ratings, they manage to stay on top of sales chart, and bringing the N car which would have been mostly a CBU, it would be priced exorbitantly like the GTI and inevitably would have flopped. The N line is the sweet middle ground and is usually an aesthetical upgrade with minor performance upgrades, mostly suspension and exhaust upgrades. If priced well, the N6 will find a buyer in me, I don't really mind the IMT but a manual would have been a sweeter deal.
zehhatter is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th August 2021, 01:14   #143
BHPian

I actually got a test drive of the N line DCT. I drove it in traffic for about 5 minutes so these are very much first impressions and not a review. I liked the sporty exhaust note which you can actually hear in the car, especially in the lower rpms. When you climb higher in the rev range, the engine noise overpowers the exhaust note. The DCT did not feel as quick as the DSG in the polo, being more or less similar to the torque converter in the new Polo. In S mode however, driving it using the paddles is an absolute hoot. I couldn't do a full emergency stop but the car seemed very stable and sure footed on the brakes. Again, I wasn't flooring the brake pedal so cant comment on its performance at the limit. The suspension is definitely stiffer and you do feel everything at slow speeds. At higher speeds (80-100), I felt the polo was more confidence inspiring. Overall, the car is definitely fun to drive. But I still don't feel it is worth the near 3.5 lakh premium over the Polo TSI. The 1.0 TSI had more of a 'pushed into the seat' feel and the steering was heavier and more involving. The i20 has loads more space, looks gorgeous and is loaded to the brim with features. For my money, I'd still get the Polo and use the remaining money for a few performance mods.
Rajiv Krishnan is offline   (72) Thanks
Old 28th August 2021, 10:38   #144

I feel that this is their first step towards launching a full fledged proper N-Line. There is no way one will buy an i20 for more than 15 lakhs if launched right now.

I expect Hyundai to slowly start bringing more N-Line features across its models and eventually have different showrooms for proper international spec N-Line models similar to how Maruti Suzuki sells its premium offerings in Nexa showrooms. Imagine someone buying base model i20 from the same showroom as the N-Line i20. The N-Line buyer will definitely feel shortchanged and will expect a more premium experience for a product which is going to cost almost 1.75x the base model price.

On the side note, I feel aftermarket car modifiers are the ones who are going to benefit the most. It is not long before they upload videos on YouTube of "Base model i20 conversion to N-Line i20; Only Rs 99,999"
Sabareesan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th August 2021, 12:17   #145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
Very harsh opinions and reactions, as expected, towards almost anything that Hyundai and KIA release.

I'd say this is a very respectable first effort by Hyundai to give a hot hatch, yes, I mean hot, those who haven't seen what this car can do post 3k rpm will get a shock when they do test drive it. They've stiffened up the suspension, given a DCT transmission with paddle shifters and 4 disc brakes, that's actually not too bad at all. Those who've not test driven the new i20 will never know how supple yet sturdy the suspension is
No offense mate but what you are calling harsh opinions are justified IMO, all this is obvious when customers feel cheated after spending 22 lacs and getting tin cans from the same group. Polo might be outdated, but it's safer and far more solid then this wannabe racer.

VAG's PQ25 platform is praised by journalists around the globe, some even say it to be better than MQB, on the other hand we have this i20 which is based on a Santro's platform which scored 2 stars. Air purifiers might make more sense to you than safety and that's totally fine, to each his own. But considering the driving dynamics alone, Polo still annihilates everything in it's segment.

Sure, Hyundais have improved a LOT in terms of road manners but that's in comparison to their predecessors. They are still far away from german composure and mature suspension feel at higher speeds. Also, I'm not only talking about straight line stability, handling mid corner bumps and patches, turn-in, steering feel and suspension robustness is far superior of the Polo. It's not always about stiffening the suspension and giving a powerful engine, it's how the car makes you feel and how well you are able to connect to it.

Most important IMO is if the car makes you grin stupidly or not. All this what I have said is not any fanboyish approach towards VAG or intentional hate towards Hyundai/Kia. I have a Creta and the new i20 in extended family and I never felt really connected and happy while driving them. In fact the reports of Creta's brake failure issue always scares me and I rarely ever take that car to triple digit speeds. My cheaper (than both) EcoSport feels far far more pleasurable. Once again, it is just a kind reply form one enthusiast to another and I hope you don't take in the wrong sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
the Getz which had a much better steering feel, precision and suspension than the Polo, with it's light, super numb steering and rock hard suspension, overrated beyond belief.
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai N Line performance models to make India debut in 2021-images-6.jpeg  

Lowflyer23 is offline   (35) Thanks
Old 28th August 2021, 12:58   #146
BHPian

I'd just like to add my 2 cents on this topic and then be done.

Imagine your 15 Odd Lakhs "Hot Hatch" with a nanny assisiting for gearshifts, 1.0 3 Cylinder Engine (Emphasis on 3 Cylinder) 12Valve and some colours and a raceflag inspired grille.

Imagine you are driving down in your "Hot Hatch" on the highway and you are overtaken by a much cheaper, economical and much faster Figo 1.5 Tdci, GT Tsi, Punto Abarth.

Imagine you are on a trackday in your "Hot Hatch" and you are being beat by a much cheaper (even when new), far superior handling of the Punto Abarth, Figo S, Baleno RS, GT Tsi.

Imagine you are showing off your creature comforts of your "Hot Hatch" to your friends and you are being outclassed by a Venue, Sonet, Jazz, Regular i20 (+ 50k for a working dual tip straight pipe exhaust + Lowering Springs + Front and Side Splitter), Altroz and the likes.

Imagine your car is in the showroom and you haven't bought it and it was all just a dream and go pick yourself a Polo 1.0 TSI, Figo Tdci and spend another 50k on Exhaust and Springs.

Imagine you approach the pre-owned market and are able to find Punto Abarths, Baleno Rs, Laura 1.8 Tsi for half the cost and build your own toy rather than getting 30% stiff suspensions.

Imagine.

And for the members of the forum defending this car as though it is thier new born, I really can't wait to see when the overall ownership of this surpasses that of Polo, Honda City, Seltos, Venue, etc. I really can't wait

Last edited by bhphog : 28th August 2021 at 13:07.
bhphog is offline   (39) Thanks
Old 28th August 2021, 14:27   #147
Distinguished - BHPian

Gentlemen let's put this into some perspective as to why we must give this thing the benefit of doubt - it could be a slightly faster car than before.

The existing run of the mill i20 DCT was one of the cars featured in Autocar trackday this year, along with an MT polo, the difference is not night and day as you would expect , feel free to read through the lap times as well as the different corner entry exit speeds.

https://www.autocarindia.com/auto-fe...rs-2021-420213

Also featuring a rather plain Jane family sedan with NA engine that has beaten the VW on that track!! Someone must bring back fiat on sale for some relief from Poloism.
Kosfactor is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 28th August 2021, 15:06   #148
BHPian

I appreciate Hyundai for trying something out of the box although the N-line will most probably be a sales dud. There are a good number of people who love raspy exhausts and body-kits though there is no difference in performance. Since the N-line has an exhaust straight from the OEM and is legal, it can come across as an enticing proposition for such buyers. Moreover, they can avoid the MVD's fines too.
Old 28th August 2021, 15:17   #149

This is surprising! I thought this car would be hailed as a hero on the forum but instead it’s being thrown under the bus and the car is barely out on the showroom floors.

This car was made for us enthusiasts. Yes the crash worthiness of the platform is subpar but this car checks everything else. Retuned suspension and steering, louder exhaust, all wheel disc brakes and the visual drama to match. What else were we expecting from a sporty variant of a mass market car.

No I’ve got no love for the Koreans, not after their crash tests debacle but this is an honest attempt at a fun to drive car.

If tomorrow Volkswagen launches the current Polo with a retuned suspension and steering with all wheel discs and all the gizmos I’m sure we’re gonna praise VW at the top of our voice but if Hyundai does the same we’re mocking it.

And regarding the 0-100 time, I’m sure the confusion is because the gearbox won’t allow for an aggressive launch but during roll ons and day to day driving this is going to be one fast little car. Polo is a good car yes but it’s about time we accept the fact that it’s also criminally overrated.

The supposedly sporty variant Polo GT gets a spoiler and a couple of badges over the Highline and we barely made any noise.

So guys let’s at least give the N-Line a benefit of doubt, let’s just wait until the car is out on the roads and decide if Hyundai has done enough.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 30th August 2021 at 17:18. Reason: spacing for improved readability
Trex5151 is online now   (14) Thanks
Old 28th August 2021, 15:24   #150
BHPian

I think the Venue should be credited for Hyundai's move to launch sportier cars in India. The 1L Turbo GDI in the i20 N Line was first introduced in the Venue and is a gem of an engine.

Moreover, I think it's the Venue which improved Hyundai's dynamics and steering feel to a large extent (as compared to the first gen Creta and Verna).

I am actually eagerly looking forward to a Venue N which in my opinion will be hot.

Last edited by Aditya : 2nd September 2021 at 05:19. Reason: Non-forum smileys deleted
avm2407 is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks