Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2021, 16:43   #181
BHPian

Re: Hyundai N Line performance models to make India debut in 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by KobeSmushie View Post
There is so much ranting and disrespectful comments by many users to put down others' opinions and observations without adding much to the discussion. Only generalised and sweeping remarks like Oh! Polo this and that, enthusiast's car, Punto Abarth this and that, just randomly throwing names and scenarios without really respecting the fact that a manufacturer has put forward a product and rather than giving it a fair chance, some fellow users have been putting it and other users down by Oh! You buy that and this car will go faster than you and how would you feel or this and that. This too was acceptable but without civility to each other and no rationale and evidence provided, it's sheer disrespect going on.
Well said man. Very rarely you see a comment which really resonates with you. This is exactly what I wanted to say and more. Hyundai is really trying to do something here when most of the so called Premium OEMs use India as their dumping ground. Kudos to Hyundai for at least making an attempt to bring something fun for a change.
PJ1987 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st August 2021, 18:54   #182
Senior - BHPian

VW is expected to launch a top variant of the polo-by adding paddle shifters and LED headlights to the GT TSI in response to the N line N8.

It will be badged as the Polo GTI.
sidindica is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st August 2021, 20:28   #183
BHPian

We have two cars that will need an upgrade in the next 2-3 years in the family (Wagon R petrol and the Punto diesel)

This will be a serious contender - A city runabout that can be fun to drive when you get the chance. I will go check it out and report back (yeah yeah, any excuse for a test drive is a good excuse)

Personally, I for one would seriously consider the proper N i20 at 20L as and when it gets launched. What can I say, the abarth has spoilt me.

I will however struggle to justify 20L given I paid 10L for the abarth and don't really care about all the gizmos that will come with the i20. Eventually, the heart will prevail :-p
Old 31st August 2021, 20:36   #184
anb
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
VW is expected to launch a top variant of the polo-by adding paddle shifters and LED headlights to the GT TSI in response to the N line N8.

If it happens, it will be big injustice to GTI badge. GTI badge needs 2.0 TSI engine or they should launch Blue GT with 1.5 TSI engine.

Last edited by anb : 31st August 2021 at 20:42.
Old 31st August 2021, 20:38   #185
BANNED

Quote:

Why would VW dilute the "GTI " brand with such an offering? I see no point of this especially when they already have the GT ( just like how N line is not a True "N" ).
As for offering the paddle shifter and LED lights this also seems improbable considering their main focus is now Taigun. 1-1.5L extra for these features doesn't make much sense. Just like how the N line doesn't make any sense over the (already overpriced) i20 1.0T-GDi.
agambhandari is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 31st August 2021, 20:52   #186
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
Why would VW dilute the "GTI " brand with such an offering? I see no point of this especially when they already have the GT ( just like how N line is not a True "N" ).
As for offering the paddle shifter and LED lights this also seems improbable considering their main focus is now Taigun. 1-1.5L extra for these features doesn't make much sense. Just like how the N line doesn't make any sense over the (already overpriced) i20 1.0T-GDi.

Completely agreed !
It doesn't make any sense for Volkswagen to use the GTI moniker for something like this. The current GT TSi doesn't have anything "Wow" over the highline except some graphics, addition of these features to the existing variant makes much more sense and I am sure VW would do something like that if they indeed introduce paddles & LED headlights.
Old 31st August 2021, 20:57   #187
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

If it comes, I believe it will named GT+ TSI similar to the Taigun’s top-end variant.

Very unlikely VW will name this new variant as Polo GTI, real GTI owners will be up in arms!!
CEF_Beasts is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2021, 22:18   #188
Senior - BHPian

If it were not for the RS I would have seriously considered this given that it is a fast and extremely practical hatch.

The engine is already no slouch and in the regular i20 the tuning is oriented towards comfort more than anything else. But to it's credit Hyundai rather than simply up the power of the engine, has instead focused on the finer aspects of braking and handling in addition to providing aural delight by installing a story exhaust. The pops and crackles in a video shared above were great. Installing discs in the rear is another neat move. Braking performance provides the confidence to really push any car. I wouldn't be overly concerned about power as a remap would be readily available in the after market. Getting a suspension tune, a disc brake conversion etc at decent prices is what is difficult to get in the aftermarket. I think it's a well judged set of upgrades.

It is interesting to note that even in rarified financial circles that buy Beemers and Mercs the full blown M variants (not the M Sport sticker jobs) sell in miniscule numbers. So that should say a thing or two about Hyundai's strategy. I would be happy to see similar upgrades across their range in the Verna, Creta and the Tucson for that matter.

Not even the M Sport in BMW gives these kind of upgrades in the M-Sport package. You either buy the sticker jobs or the full fat M variants.

Now without a proper review the jury is out but I wouldn't be surprised if the suspension does not shave off a second off the 0-100 timings.

Attaboy Hyundai. Setting the bar with the Santro, Creta and now this. I wouldn't be surprised if the N-Line sets the performance segment of the market on fire. If that is the case then it is yet another lost opportunity for VW and Skoda to be trend setters in-spite of having both the moolah and the goods.

Drive on,
Shibu.
shibujp is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 31st August 2021, 22:40   #189

Noticed NLine engine specs on hyundai website indicating 4 cylinders 16 Valves. Regular i20 1.0 Turbo petrol seems to be 3 cylinders as per team bhp review. Not sure if this is already observed
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai N Line performance models to make India debut in 2021-eb9a4504636d462fa1f29fc5050aa423.jpeg  

Old 31st August 2021, 22:54   #190
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nrulz View Post
Noticed NLine engine specs on hyundai website indicating 4 cylinders 16 Valves. Regular i20 1.0 Turbo petrol seems to be 3 cylinders as per team bhp review. Not sure if this is already observed
It is an error from hyundai. Both engines are the same. 3 cylinder, 12valves T-GDi
Old 31st August 2021, 23:26   #191

I honestly see no problem in launching more cars like that. It is good for the brand and in my opinion variants like these definitely have a positive impact on sales of regular cars (even if that is not their intention). Atleast Hyundai made some adjustments to suspension and steering. They could have just given it a body kit and unique paint job to call it N-line. I can see lot of people buying regular i20s and modifying them to look like N-line version.
I20 was the perfect car to try this N-line experiment. The manufacturing plant where the i20 is build has production capacity of more cars then they are able to sell (last generation sold in much larger volumes), so they may have tried to utilize that manufacturing capacity by making minimal changes to the existing car as a marketing attempt to boost the sales. Creta would be ideal too but they can’t keep up with the manufacturing of the regular model so they can’t make new variants for that. Verna and i10 do not have the pull with the customers.

I can see why an enthusiast would get angry about Luke warm performance but does it even matter with the current fuel prices and condition of roads, i mean there is no place where you old legally redline it and drive an enthusiastic fashion.

Car modification shops are happy though they will gladly change bumpers, badges, exhaust tips and gearknobs for regular i20 owners.
vibmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2021, 09:57   #192
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
No offence, but that sounds like a lame comparison. For starters, there is a new iPhone every year, while the Polo has remained virtually the same for the last decade! And iPhones are extremely reliable, no hang ups, the polo necessarily not so! And saying that the difference between a polo and i20 is as much as a Vivo and an iPhone, well I’m not even sure what you are implying!

Again, no offence, but we need see things as it is, appreciate or share a view, but to draw such ridiculous comparisons, I mean we can do better.
You should read the comparison a multiple times and maybe you will get my point.

I think I will need to dumb it down and give you a few clues.
  1. This post is not to praise apple or put OPPO / VIVO down. Being an OPPO phone is a compliment as their phones are currently ruling a lot of markets. That comparison will make more sense to you if you follow the mobile market closely. Its just their approach towards the product. Don't know why should a Hyundai user get offended by a comparison to the OPPO Brand. (OPPO Phones are first to launch a lot of features in the mobile world, FYI)
  2. Also, the apple launches a new product every year, but their OS updates are incremental (at least 3 years behind android), like the feature list of the Polo. But they nail the fundamentals. (A one inch notch on a 2021 phone?!)
  3. Also I mentioned that the VW cars are high maintenance, like the Polo whose bills can get tears to a D segment car owner.

We can do better with a little imagination.

I still haven't understood what part of the comparison you found lame or ridiculous.

Last edited by Aditya : 2nd September 2021 at 05:35. Reason: Toning down
2000rpm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2021, 12:53   #193
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
You should read the comparison a multiple times and maybe you will get my point.

I think I will need to dumb it down and give you a few clues.
  1. This post is not to praise apple or put OPPO / VIVO down. Being an OPPO phone is a compliment as their phones are currently ruling a lot of markets. That comparison will make more sense to you if you follow the mobile market closely. Its just their approach towards the product. Don't know why should a Hyundai user get offended by a comparison to the OPPO Brand. (OPPO Phones are first to launch a lot of features in the mobile world, FYI)
  2. Also, the apple launches a new product every year, but their OS updates are incremental (at least 3 years behind android), like the feature list of the Polo. But they nail the fundamentals. (A one inch notch on a 2021 phone?!)
  3. Also I mentioned that the VW cars are high maintenance, like the Polo whose bills can get tears to a D segment car owner.

We can do better with a little imagination.

I still haven't understood what part of the comparison you found lame or ridiculous.
Although its off topic for this thread, I agree with @2000rpm. I am from the device industry and closely associated with BBK group and the American brand. It is true that each have their own unique strengths but its also true that BBK brands are always pushing the envelope early (just as Samsung) for cutting edge features, technological improvements. The American brand is traditionally 3-4 years behind. This is fact. No comparison really works since the American brand is the technologically more advanced one (from the core tech standpoint) even though they use older generation technology and very cleverly use their aspirational value and styling edge to position themselves in the super premium league and sell 200 million units+ a year!

BBK group brands (Oppo/Vivo/One+ etc) provide cutting edge features and innovation, but due to commonality in their core tech, they position themselves in the economy and budget+ segments (e.g. One+) and have good market share in whatever market they operate in.

I view the discussion between the German badged ageing GT and the brand new Korean N-Line offering likewise. I believe that the higher end N-line offerings with all the bells and whistles would be a brave attempt by Hyundai and might open up a whole new market of enthusiast customers.

Last edited by Aditya : 2nd September 2021 at 05:36. Reason: Quoted text edited
allinbalance is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st September 2021, 14:51   #194
BHPian

I don’t understand the Hyundai bashing in this thread for not launching the N line with more powerful engine. Hyundai is not calling it as a hot hatch rather just another sporty variant which is fair.

Globally all OEMs especially Germans offer the line variants such as R line, S line, Sportline, AMG line, M Paket, etc. with same mass market engine but with sporty bumpers, side skirts, slightly stiffened and lowered suspension, tighter steering and sporty interior themes. And Hyundai is no different offering the same thing in India but it also added rear discs and sporty exhaust which is good.

Regarding the pricing, the non N line variant itself is already expensive so the N line will be obviously more expensive.

I appreciate Hyundai in bringing N line variant to India which will push the competitors to offer such variants.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 2nd September 2021 at 17:00. Reason: spacing for improved readability
Old 1st September 2021, 15:01   #195
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibujp View Post
I think it's a well judged set of upgrades.

It is interesting to note that even in rarified financial circles that buy Beemers and Mercs the full blown M variants (not the M Sport sticker jobs) sell in miniscule numbers.

Not even the M Sport in BMW gives these kind of upgrades in the M-Sport package. You either buy the sticker jobs or the full fat M variants.

Attaboy Hyundai.

If that is the case then it is yet another lost opportunity for VW and Skoda to be trend setters in-spite of having both the moolah and the goods.

Drive on,
Shibu.

Very well said.
I would love to see more such initiatives from Auto OEMs.

if only they managed to get a higher state of tune and managed to eek out an extra 10-20 horses in the 1.0 Turbo
Mar21 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks