Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2021, 12:15   #91
BHPian

Re: Hyundai N Line performance models to make India debut in 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by shady_lawyer View Post
This is sad, N-Line abroad actually stands for a proper out and out performance model. The International i20 N offers 200 BHP (275 out a new engine coming out in 2022) out from a 1.6 litre turbocharged engine. A dual couple torsion beam suspension and tighter steering ratio.
In those markets, there's an N-line with 1.2 MPi with around 84hp along with the 1.0 GDI. I think you've confused N-line with 'N'. N-line has always been about regular car having a bit of suspension, steering and exhaust tweaks and a lot of visual changes.

That's how the 'line' moniker been used by a lot of companies (i.e., R-line, ST-line, GT-line, etc.).

Last edited by aah78 : 25th August 2021 at 17:04. Reason: Quote trimmed.
puneeth2 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 25th August 2021, 12:33   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepCarTalk View Post
Volkswagen has been doing that for over 9 years with the POLO. So I guess it's alright.
They have setup a wrong example which industry shouldnt follow actually !

That said, I would like to stand corrected about some of the mechanical changes which I missed like retuned suspension setup and presence of rear disc brakes.

One thing about this 1.0 Turbo + DCT combination : Looks awesome on paper but real world performance is more tuned towards better F.E. and reliability/durability. I wish they are slightly more aggressive with the N-line (like not rev limiting in neutral, faster response from the GB etc).
Old 25th August 2021, 12:49   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakubKC View Post
A bit off topic maybe but would I not be asking for trouble from the police with this loud exhaust? The cops will surely flag me down if they get to hear it.
It's an OEM exhaust. That means it has passed "pass-by"noise regulations and all other homologation norms as prevalent in India on date. Tiago/Tigor JTP's also had a similar exhaust setup

Still, our cops can resort to any means to extract a challan. Reminds me of a cop in Kolkata who doubled the emission values of the Pollution Under Control certificate of my friend's Porsche Macan. Why? Because it had TWO exhaust outlets: so as per the great cop, BECAUSE it's not written on the PUC certificate whether the values are SINGLE or DOUBLE, he will take it by default as single and double it! My friend said the value can be single too, in which case the values should be halved! But then you can't argue with these guys
arjab is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 25th August 2021, 13:15   #94
BHPian

Disclaimer-this post adds very little value to the technical aspects of the car being discussed above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravindb_0711 View Post
Hey! I think you're confusing yourself between the N-line and the full blown N trims of the brand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by puneeth2 View Post
I think you've confused N-line with 'N'.
HA! I live to die another day it seems

So this makes it worse, its literally undergoing beauty enhancing plastic surgery like a nose job or a lip job, very minor changes but just enough to change the package eh! GAH.

Makes it worse in my book I feel conned. So if I get this right there is a minor power bump, a slightly improved suspension and RED Colour! The folks at Jayem must be thinking "humne kya paap kiye the".

Any how in light of this information I'll just reserve my judgment on this 'variant'.

PS
@Puneeth-in a lighter vein, I really hope your Clarkson smug face and this comment were a coincidence.

Last edited by shady_lawyer : 25th August 2021 at 13:27.
Old 25th August 2021, 13:27   #95
BHPian

I think @puneeth2 pointed out correctly the difference between the N-line and N range of Hyundai cars.

The suspension setup for this one does not make me too hopeful of it being a corner carver.
The right kind of analogy would be to compare it with the GT-Line offering from Kia. The Polo 1.0 TSI will still be far more of a driver's delight as compared to the line. This N-line should still handle better than the regular i20 and the sales would be determined by what kind of premium they are charging for these aesthetic spruce ups.
Old 25th August 2021, 14:00   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baddychat View Post
I think @puneeth2 pointed out correctly the difference between the N-line and N range of Hyundai cars.The suspension setup for this one does not make me too hopeful of it being a corner carver. The right kind of analogy would be to compare it with the GT-Line offering from Kia.
So two cookie-cutter of sorts from the Korean siblings - a X line Seltos and N line i20, both unamusing cosmetical job and nothing else, especially under the hood. Just to make hay while the sun shines.

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 25th August 2021 at 14:02.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2021, 14:09   #97
BHPian

Good to see Hyundai launching the i20 N line with actually sporty modifications rather than just a "Sportz" trim. The DCT would the one to go for if it is as good as a DSG in shifting gears.
A question for the people who have driven IMT cars. With a regular clutch and manual transmission, you have know where the clutch actually engages with the feel of the pedal. How is it in an IMT?
Old 25th August 2021, 15:05   #98
BHPian

Why is Hyundai pushing the iMT so much? All their latest launches seem to be not available with an MT - the Venue, i20, Verna(not sure) and now the i20 N line.
A car with sporty styling should have MT instead of an iMT IMO!

MT options are good because you get access to a car at lower price point and many still like to have a manual car.
Candy$Cars is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th August 2021, 15:08   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi.mariner View Post
Good to see Hyundai launching the i20 N line with actually sporty modifications rather than just a "Sportz" trim. The DCT would the one to go for if it is as good as a DSG in shifting gears.
A question for the people who have driven IMT cars. With a regular clutch and manual transmission, you have know where the clutch actually engages with the feel of the pedal. How is it in an IMT?
In the iMT, you don't have a clutch. There's only brake and accelerator. You let go of the accelerator and shift the gear.
Candy$Cars is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th August 2021, 15:49   #100
BHPian

I am confused, what is the target audience for this

- Its not a hot hatch, so Hyundai is not attracting enthusiasts (it will be regular Hyundai, Suzuki customers)

- Just cosmetic changes moving price band to a space already dominated by siblings (Venue, Sonet, Creata (entry level)), wont this cannibalise their own products

- Who will buy i20 for 14L when you have Venue, Nexon, Ecosport, Sonet in same price and Creta and now XUV just a little above
Old 25th August 2021, 15:55   #101

I am just happy for the fact that Hyundai wanted to give a product for the enthusiasts even though the upgrades are very little and will be pricey. Also let's reserve our judgements until review comes out, tech specs cannot tell you the whole story. That said though, iMT doesn't make sense when proper manual will be cheaper and more engaging to drive.
Old 25th August 2021, 16:03   #102
Senior - BHPian

I need a fast, tech savvy, comfortable, feature loaded sporty hatch to complement my fast but kinda impractical Abarth Punto and another fast but raw old school Palio 1.6.

I know the car I want.
Old 25th August 2021, 16:38   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG1 View Post

Indian Polo has seen 3 generations of I20s in its lifetime and the very same polo is still available in your nearest showroom!!!!!!
May be you can not improve on perfection!!
Jokes apart, VW bought in the Polo with 1.8TSI engine and GT badge. But the price was over 20 L and market as expected did not show excitement. The Polo manual which was released in 2011 also had a 1.6 L engine which was discontinued for reasons best known to them. I have used the 1.6L Polo and was happy with the performance. Having said that, Hyundai has worked on its product engineering over the years and has given the market the what it would accept and you cant take that from Hyundai. But quality comes at a price and ROI. They cant give European quality at MUL prices
Old 25th August 2021, 16:56   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asoon View Post
I am confused, what is the target audience for this
This is a perfect mix of sportiness, comfort and convenience. No, I am not referring to the purists audience who would anyway end up modding their car, irrespective of which car they buy.

The rear disc brakes in a 120 PS car are very much necessary.

Plus the paddle shifters would be very much used within city, highways, corners and hills for overtaking, engine braking etc...

If Hyundai prices this reasonably, this would get as perfect as it can - with immersive music in Bose, open sunroof, a sporty exhaust note, a nice peppy drive with paddles and a cup of coffee!
Voyager-1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2021, 17:09   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager-1 View Post
This is a perfect mix of sportiness, comfort and convenience. No, I am not referring to the purists audience who would anyway end up modding their car, irrespective of which car they buy.

The rear disc brakes in a 120 PS car are very much necessary.

Plus the paddle shifters would be very much used within city, highways, corners and hills for overtaking, engine braking etc...

If Hyundai prices this reasonably, this would get as perfect as it can - with immersive music in Bose, open sunroof, a sporty exhaust note, a nice peppy drive with paddles and a cup of coffee!
Irrespective of pricing it will do well (high chance)
Hyundai has the secret formula / magic to pull indian customers

People are in line for paying 20+L in Bangalore for Creta.
I have concerns about the segment, post sedan decline by 4.2m CSUVs , 3.9m hatches are facing heat from 3.9m CSUVs, asking premium for cosmetic changes in a competitive segment can be risky
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks