Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2021, 15:47   #121
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Hyundai N Line performance models to make India debut in 2021

The real i20N, the timing of the video being released is such a coincidence with India's i20 N-Line! Just shows what all we'll be missing!

CEF_Beasts is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 26th August 2021, 17:42   #122
anb
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi10 View Post
Well, the now discontinued Tiago JTP hits 9.9 sec to a ton. It maybe without the bells and whistles of an I20,
I feel that it's not fair to compare the prices of 3 year old car with the present one. Today a regular Tiago with underpowered 1.2 NA engine with AMT transmission costs Rs.8 Lakh on road. So how much would be present price if Tiago comes with a turbo petrol and DCT? It must be around 10 lakhs. Prices of cars have increased so much over the last few years. Hyundai i20 is indeed feels very much expensive at Rs.13.4 lakhs.
anb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2021, 19:24   #123
Senior - BHPian

So for the throaty exhaust and slightly stiffer suspension Hyundai wants my Kidney? Well Hyundai might be thinking one has to anyway sell Heart and Brain to get the regular i20, Kidney won't be of any use, sell us and you get N line.
Good to see Hyundai engineers putting some efforts instead of outsourcing to sticker cutting shop.
PrideRed is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th August 2021, 21:05   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG1 View Post
F
The i20 (design, engine, transmission, and features wise) is similar to what your friend will buy in UK. That wouldn't be the case with the VW POLO.
Mate- Well you missed my Joke. But thinking about what you have written, just see the point if some one still sells 2,000 units a month without changing the model for the last ten years. It means that there are people who have test driven a Polo after test driving the other hatches and preferred to go with driving dynamics / handling, GB rather than the curves, daytime LEDs, air purifiers, music systems, connected tech and voice commands. Another point of view.

Last edited by Lalitha Venkat : 26th August 2021 at 21:08.
Lalitha Venkat is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 26th August 2021, 23:31   #125
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Way more show than go, for a car that does 0 to 100 in a claimed 9.9 seconds (mostly real world number will be in 10.xx seconds), and is mostly based on safety-compromised underpinnings!
While making this post, I assumed Hyundai claimed a 9.9 second time only for the N-Line, and never for the regular i20.

Turns out - I'm wrong, but the joke is on us!

Hyundai had claimed a 9.9 second time for the regular i20 1.0 DCT as well - and ACI managed to get 12.56! So looks like we are indeed looking at a ~12.5 second 'hot hatch' with red trim elements inside and out. How hot is ~12.5 seconds (real world) in 2021?

From ACI -

Quote:
In our preliminary tests, the i20 Turbo DCT did the 0-100kph dash in 12.56sec, which is far from Hyundai's claimed 9.9sec time. Our timings are also a second off of what we managed with the Hyundai Venue Turbo DCT, which uses the same engine and gearbox combo. The i20 Turbo DCT uses the engine-gearbox’s latest calibration that prioritises part-throttle responsiveness over all out power.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 26th August 2021 at 23:48.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 26th August 2021, 23:41   #126
BANNED

Mod Note : Personal attacks on fellow BHPians & rude posts are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. All members are part of the Team-BHP family, and any discriminating or derogatory comment will NOT be permitted.

Please ALWAYS be civil, polite & respectful to other members...even in debate.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 27th August 2021 at 08:34.
SNA411 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 27th August 2021, 02:41   #127
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
How hot is ~12.5 seconds (real world) in 2021?

From ACI -
People may hate me for saying this, but at half the price of a N-Line, the new gen Swift petrol can match 95% or more of its fun factor!
Am leaving the Polo Tsi, Figo Tdci or even the Nios 1.0 turbo aside! Somewhere am missing the Abarth Punto or even the Tiago/Tigor JTP!

Last edited by Samba : 27th August 2021 at 02:45.
Samba is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 27th August 2021, 03:08   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalitha Venkat View Post
Mate- Well you missed my Joke. But thinking about what you have written, just see the point if some one still sells 2,000 units a month without changing the model for the last ten years. It means that there are people who have test driven a Polo after test driving the other hatches and preferred to go with driving dynamics / handling, GB rather than the curves, daytime LEDs, air purifiers, music systems, connected tech and voice commands. Another point of view.
Last I read, when Ambassador was finally killed few years back - it was consistently selling 650 units per month just like polo sells in some numbers today (w.r.t. segment, that’s downright poor)

Polo is a fine car, but VW selling older gen car here feels discriminatory. But then, to each his own.

I am sure we both will agree on one point- the Punto Abarth with 140hp was way better a hot hatch compared to i20Nline or Polo GT tsi.
AMG1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th August 2021, 12:27   #129
BHPian

I think more than the Polo Vs I20 N line debate what should be appreciated is that Hyundai made an attempt irrespective of how small it is by bringing something new in the Indian market as against VW which has been relying entirely on the 10-year-old model. Credit should be given where due and i think Hyundai deserves that. On the other hand, VM deserves the credit for Polo which is still considered a Hot hatch in the Indian market. It's good to see a fairly new player Hyundai bringing products in the performance range to rival other companies. End of the day it's the customer who benefits. Who knows due to this N line VW might wake up and might bring the new Polo in the Indian market when they see the sales drop due to the N line .
Artyom is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 27th August 2021, 12:31   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalitha Venkat View Post
there are people who have test driven a Polo after test driving the other hatches and preferred to go with driving dynamics / handling, GB rather than the curves, daytime LEDs, air purifiers, music systems, connected tech and voice commands.
I am one of those who value driving pleasure more than anything else and agree to your point completely. I may be wrong, but Polo is still the torch bearer for pocket-friendly fun-to-drive cars.

Engine-specs barely reveal how the car drives and feels. While the i20 motor despite its higher power ratings never felt turbo-charged to me(same with the Magnite) and I was sold for Polo the moment I drove it for the first time, the real surprise for me was my family.
When we called both - the POLO and the i20 for a test drive, my wife and son liked polo more than the i20. It was quite a revelation for me to know from my 8 year old son that he felt polo to be comfortable! Wife said i20 looked as a car robot and polo felt better than the i20 on speed breakers and mumbai potholes. She is a no-car person and still preferred the VW badge more.

Overall as a package, nothing comes close to the new i20, and N-line actually makes it even more tempting, but the fact that its already too expensive makes it worse for us as a consumer.

P.S. My 5 year old daughter still prefers Magnite over the i20 and Polo.
viren83 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th August 2021, 13:53   #131
Distinguished - BHPian

Hyundai is just schooling the other brands on how to make a premium hatch. There was no need for any of these things , but they are doing it because they can or perhaps the next Gen Baleno is coming up with a lot of kit soon.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2021, 15:17   #132
BHPian

I wonder why Hyundai wanted to do this "test the waters" bit with the N-line?

The enthusiast crowd will be quick to dismiss it as a badge-only iteration. Despite the fact that it does get some mechanical upgrades in the form of brakes, suspension and exhaust.

And the non-enthusiast crowd will look at it as another "top-end" model. Despite the fact that it does get some mechanical upgrades in the form of brakes, suspension and exhaust.

I would rather have Hyundai get in the full fat N models like the i20N or the i30N.
If you want a halo brand, then why bother with these N-line models? If you want people to talk about you, then give them something substantial to talk about.

Who exactly is this car for?

At least if the full N models had come, the enthusiasts would have tried to own one.

At 15lac OTR or whatever it turns out to be eventually, it is priced out of the range of enthusiasts as well as non-enthusiasts.
Old 27th August 2021, 15:24   #133
BHPian

All I can really say is that Hyundai really wants to targets the pretentious "Race Car Drivers" with this utterly obnoxious iMT of a gearbox.

The respect I have for enthusaiasts driving AT has risen drastically post this henious iMT gearbox.

Give me this for free and I shall sell it and get a Pre-owned Punto Abarth which can eat this car for lunch.

And then there is Hyundai. I mean atleast Maruti had the decency to plonk in the 1.0 BoosterJet and then call it in a RS. But hey, 30% stiffness is what we get and Hyundai wants to think of this as an enthusiasts car.

Like Seriously Hyundai, please stick your Creta's and i10s. We don't need you in the affordable enthusiasts category.

Last edited by bhphog : 27th August 2021 at 15:28.
bhphog is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2021, 16:05   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhphog View Post
All I can really say is that Hyundai really wants to targets the pretentious "Race Car Drivers" with this utterly obnoxious iMT of a gearbox.

The respect I have for enthusaiasts driving AT has risen drastically post this henious iMT gearbox.

Give me this for free and I shall sell it and get a Pre-owned Punto Abarth which can eat this car for lunch.

And then there is Hyundai. I mean atleast Maruti had the decency to plonk in the 1.0 BoosterJet and then call it in a RS. But hey, 30% stiffness is what we get and Hyundai wants to think of this as an enthusiasts car.

Like Seriously Hyundai, please stick your Creta's and i10s. We don't need you in the affordable enthusiasts category.
What's wrong with Hyundai targeting "pretentious Race Car Drivers" ? Doesn't BMW also has M Sport line up for *coughs* pretentious race car drivers ? There's certainly demand for such cosmetic features and thays why these N-Line and M sport line variants of a same car exists - some people want their ride to look a bit different from the regular model without additional actual performance gains.
Give them a chance, they're slowly getting the performance oriented cars to Indian market. Imagine they bring in full fledged i20 N performance belting out 200+ NM of torque, how many of us would buy it ? Heck it'll be hard to imagine Hyundai - a manufacturer Indian customer has conceived as a family car maker - selling a sports car.
Off topic but I believe we here on the forum, make hue and cry about scarcity of affordable performance cars in India. But when affordable Baleno RS and Tiago JTP were available, how many "enthusiasts" bought them ?
With such response no manufacturer would think to bring their affordable performance cars here !
Akshay6988 is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 27th August 2021, 16:16   #135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay6988 View Post
What's wrong with Hyundai targeting "pretentious Race Car Drivers" ? Doesn't BMW also has M Sport line up for *coughs* pretentious race car drivers ? There's certainly demand for such cosmetic features and thays why these N-Line and M sport line variants of a same car exists - some people want their ride to look a bit different from the regular model without additional actual performance gains.
Give them a chance, they're slowly getting the performance oriented cars to Indian market. Imagine they bring in full fledged i20 N performance belting out 200+ NM of torque, how many of us would buy it ? Heck it'll be hard to imagine Hyundai - a manufacturer Indian customer has conceived as a family car maker - selling a sports car.
Off topic but I believe we here on the forum, make hue and cry about scarcity of affordable performance cars in India. But when affordable Baleno RS and Tiago JTP were available, how many "enthusiasts" bought them ?
With such response no manufacturer would think to bring their affordable performance cars here !
I don't have a problem with this souped up variants with cosmetic mods. The problem lies in advertising these cars as performance cars (read M-Sport, N-Line, GT Line).
If you think this approach of starting with these body kit models, it is only going to make the enthusiasts wary of the brand. Isn't what that happened to Maruti post the Swift RS fiasco?
To be honest, I don't know about the other members, but all the cars in my garage have been and are offbeat afforadable performance cars (read Baleno 1.6, Gypsy, Figo Diesel, Abarth Punto)and I feel that gives me the right to speak on this issue as I don't care about a bodykit and bucket seats but performance.

Let Hyundai get a proper i20N. Enthusiasts already know the proven track record it has in WRC and elsewhere. That we would appreciate. Not this lipstick'd version of a car.
bhphog is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks