Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2021, 08:55   #1
Team-BHP Support

Sarathi Driving Licence services completely online | How to guide

I've been closely following IT developments in our esteemed Ministry of Road Transport and Highways (MoRTH).

Thread 1 (Vahan & Sarathi - Software used by all RTO's)

Thread 2 (Parivahan - Portal for Road Transport from MORTH)

Slowly and steadily, a decade later things seem to be moving in the right direction for us road users in terms of ease of applications and following through for various services offered by regional transport offices.

While I'd like to completely avoid political discussions in this forum, there has to be a special mention given to the Hon. Minister of road transport, highways and shipping for his visionary approach towards automation and IT-fication of these offices. Beyond this, the revised Motor vehicles act is only taking things several notches higher to improve road safety and transportation for our fellow citizens.

So what is this thread about?

Owing to the pandemic, almost all of us found our new normal. We confined ourselves in our safe cocoons ordered grocery, food and pretty much everything online.

While we were focussed on private enterprises going online, MoRTH announced several measures for facilitating online reach out for services offered by the appellate agency as well as regional transport offices. For example:

Driving license online

18 online services linked to Aadhar

Besides the norm, the MoRTH is embracing technology like no other ministry. Be it Fastag systems for automated toll collection or fully equipped vehicles to gauge road quality work or for that matter, issuing e-challans for all road users to reduce conflict with officials. You name it and its being worked on.

Link (Pics: Network Survey Vehicles used by the NHAI)

Sarathi Driving Licence services completely online | How to guide-vahan.jpeg

Last edited by moralfibre : 10th August 2021 at 09:46.
moralfibre is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 10th August 2021, 09:13   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Sarathi Driving Licence services completely online | How to guide

Background:

My wife had her DL issued from Mumbai RTO at Andheri. We wanted to get this moved over to Pune jurisdiction to keep our documentation up to date. However, the erstwhile process was tedious enough for us to not bother even taking a step forward in that direction. The legacy process required:

1. Get an NOC from the original issuing RTO by making an application to the office and submitting relevant documents.

2. Create a new application for transfer of DL from Andheri RTO to Pune RTO and attach the issued NOC.

3. Submit reasons for change alongwith the marriage certificate, etc.

In short the process would involve 2 visits to Mumbai RTO and thereafter 2 visits to Pune RTO. Obviously in the process any missing documents in triplicate and notarised would add another visit. Knowing the babus at the RTO, they will ensure they find a defect or two each time you visit unless you route your requests via an "RTO Agent". These are unofficially official ways to lure people into paying more for basic services.

So What changed?

The Ministry recently announced a 100% online approach to do this very process. And I was curious to try it. Here's what we did:

1. Visit Home Page Link

Sarathi Driving Licence services completely online | How to guide-sarathi_home.png

2. Select your state and get redirected to a page that shows all online facilities:

Sarathi Driving Licence services completely online | How to guide-sarathi_2.png

Sarathi Driving Licence services completely online | How to guide-sarathi_3.png

3. Here, we selected change of address:

Sarathi Driving Licence services completely online | How to guide-sarathi_4.png

4. Important to note that you should have a card type license to avail any service. A card type license is backed with a digital image, digital signature and biometrics captured against your license ID:

Sarathi Driving Licence services completely online | How to guide-sarathi_5.png

5. On the next page, simply update your mobile number and email address. Updating your educational qualifications are optional.

6. On this page, checkbox all the facilities you'd want to avail on your DL change. We selected change of name and change of address:

Sarathi Driving Licence services completely online | How to guide-sarathi_6.png

7. Now your process of application starts. Look at the Red arrows on the left, they have a Red warning sign against it. Once you complete all requried info, it will turn Green. You simply click next service on each of the sub-pages after filling in required info.

Important: Don't miss on filling the self declared Form 1 at the bottom of the page.

Sarathi Driving Licence services completely online | How to guide-sarathi_7.png

8. Once you complete step # 7, you'll get an application ID that is important to note down. This will be your reference number for the future to track your application:

Sarathi Driving Licence services completely online | How to guide-sarathi_8.png

9. At the bottom, you'll find a section for uploading documents. Please remember that for all services, a copy of your original DL is a must. Therefore, keep soft copies of the document along. We needed a Form-1A filled and signed by a medical practitioner for my FIL's license renewal which we get done and uploaded a soft copy as well. All your documents should either be a jpeg or a PDF under 500KB. Although I did manage to upload 550KB size docs as well. Once all the document uploads are done, you will see this status.

Sarathi Driving Licence services completely online | How to guide-sarathi_9.png

10. At the bottom of it, only fee payments remain. The gateway in use is SBI epay and even UPI is accepted. Pay your fees and you are done with the application:

Sarathi Driving Licence services completely online | How to guide-sarathi_10.png

11. Once all is done, you simply track the status of your application on the same portal by clicking "Application Status". You should see a window assigned to your application soon:

Sarathi Driving Licence services completely online | How to guide-sarathi_11.png

You've got to ensure that your section is fully complete in part # 9 listed above. And user side requirements are well done. #11 is where the status will change to "Your application is under review at the RTO".

Also note that there are several places where the warning states that online submission is not enough and you need to visit the RTO. However, ignore this since it seems to be the old message and not the new one.

Update 11Sep'21: Please note that unlike our belief that a visit to the RTO is not required, it seems that the final closure happens once the documents are physically submitted in the RTO. Refer to this post and the quoted bits for details. (Sarathi Driving Licence services completely online | How to guide)

Good luck and let us know your experience on this portal.

Last edited by moralfibre : 11th September 2021 at 08:39.
moralfibre is offline   (60) Thanks
Old 10th August 2021, 09:36   #3
Team-BHP Support

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Indian Car Scene Section.
moralfibre is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th August 2021, 10:14   #4
Team-BHP Support

Great to see these services becoming digital, thanks for sharing!

I've used two services (removal of hypothecation and change of address) in the last couple of years and although I had to still visit RTO to submit the documents, just being able to complete formalities online was a relief. The entire process becoming digital is a welcome step, one that should make the upcoming renewal of my DL very easy and quick.
libranof1987 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 10th August 2021, 10:52   #5
Senior - BHPian

Re: Sarathi Driving Licence services completely online | How to guide

Not just going digital makes things easier, below were my recent observation to have visited RTO for removing hypothecation.
1. Staffs were less irritable as there was time slot for carrying out certain works
2. RTO was nearly crowd free as most services are FORCED to be completed online so the authorities themselves are helpless as much as citizen are forced to learn & carry out many things
3. Money money money...being removed entirely from the RTO, which is way too awesome
4. If a certain staff is on leave, the services are still rendered with a caveat of undertaking note to be given in written to the authorities for forgoing/availing the service

Wish the govt offices are working during weekends & instead compensated during weekdays or work from Sun-Thu so that it benefits many folks who have age old weekend holidays on Sat/Sun.
aargee is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 10th August 2021, 13:01   #6
BHPian

Unfortunately not all states have uploaded all info into the system. My father who is in his seventies needs to renew his DL in Jayanagar RTO, Bangalore. However when we look up his DL number in the online system, it says to contact RTO office as his details aren't online.

I guess it depends on how states have updated their info. Looks like the older licenses which were all maintained in registers long time back aren't updated in many cases. At least that's my guess based on experience in Karnataka
sanchari is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th August 2021, 13:18   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanchari View Post
Unfortunately not all states have uploaded all info into the system. My father who is in his seventies needs to renew his DL in Jayanagar RTO, Bangalore. However when we look up his DL number in the online system, it says to contact RTO office as his details aren't online.

I guess it depends on how states have updated their info. Looks like the older licenses which were all maintained in registers long time back aren't updated in many cases. At least that's my guess based on experience in Karnataka
Older licenses won't be available online unless registered and issued via Sarathi. I would say that your father will have to get his DL renewed only by visiting the RTO.

RTOs aren't really looking for updating older vehicle records or licenses into the new system unless they come up for renewal or a new entry online.
Old 10th August 2021, 13:26   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Older licenses won't be available online unless registered and issued via Sarathi. I would say that your father will have to get his DL renewed only by visiting the RTO.

RTOs aren't really looking for updating older vehicle records or licenses into the new system unless they come up for renewal or a new entry online.
We had renewed his license at RTO in 2016 when he got a smart card also. For 60+, they issue licenses only for 5 years at a time. Looks like they didn't add his details to online platform when it got renewed in 2016. Need to see if they will add it this time around.
sanchari is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th August 2021, 14:08   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanchari View Post
We had renewed his license at RTO in 2016 when he got a smart card also. For 60+, they issue licenses only for 5 years at a time. Looks like they didn't add his details to online platform when it got renewed in 2016. Need to see if they will add it this time around.
That sounds utterly strange because in 2016 all DLs were issued using this very platform.
Old 10th August 2021, 15:08   #10
BHPian

Quote:

My wife had her DL issued from Mumbai RTO at Andheri. We wanted to get this moved over to Pune jurisdiction.
So were you not asked to submit applicants original license to any of the RTOs? I thought that was one of the requirements if you had to request for change of address.
shipnil is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2021, 15:16   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
So were you not asked to submit applicants original license to any of the RTOs? I thought that was one of the requirements if you had to request for change of address.
Nope, not yet. I’ll update the next steps if I hear something by end of this week.
Old 10th August 2021, 16:57   #12
BHPian

Is there some easy way to shift one's driving license from one state RTO to another state RTO?
One might wonder why this hassle. The reason, is that I only have LMV permit on my license. I would like to add 2 wheeler to. But due to my job its not possible for me to visit my state for the license test process.
Or is cancelling old license and retaking the test in another state the only way?.
ZenMaster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2021, 17:40   #13
BHPian

The digitization for various services related to MoRTH is really a welcome move. By personal experience I can say it has broken the nexus between agents and babus. Last year I enquired two or three RTO agents to remove hypothecation of my bike. All were charging between Rs. 2000 to 2500 and said half of the amount goes to babus. Ignored their offer and searched for online application. Visited Parivahan website and made online application for Hypothecation removal. The charges for Hypothecation removal procedure were just Rs.150. After payment you have to select the time slot to visit RTO office for submission of documents. Within a month I received updated RC smart card delivered at home.
sandeepsc is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th August 2021, 19:56   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMaster View Post
Is there some easy way to shift one's driving license from one state RTO to another state RTO?
One might wonder why this hassle. The reason, is that I only have LMV permit on my license. I would like to add 2 wheeler to. But due to my job its not possible for me to visit my state for the license test process.
Or is cancelling old license and retaking the test in another state the only way?.
You will have to do these things -
  1. Address change - choose the RTO under whose jurisdiction you currently reside. The application can be filled online - whether one visit to RTO to submit documents and take a photograph is involved might depend on the state
  2. Learning license for two-wheeler - same like above, document submissions online, visit may be necessary but in all likelihood, you may not have to undertake an online test since you already took that test while applying for LMV license
  3. Addition of Class i.e., Additional Endorsement to Driving License - wherein two-wheeler class would be added to your existing license. The application can be submitted online and a driving test will have to be given in person.
gischethans is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2021, 09:15   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
We needed a Form-1A filled and signed by a medical practitioner for my FIL's license renewal which we get done and uploaded a soft copy as well.
I wish there was some flexibility built in for folks living abroad.

I was in the process of renewing my license and got stuck here (quoted section). There was a mention of having to present yourself at the RTO. I can't do this as I live abroad. I did ask the Indian Embassy for help. I thought they would have doctors on the panel who can help with Form-1A. Drivers license renewal is something they cannot assist with.

All said and done, this is big change for those who want to manage their license renewal, etc. This is a lot easier than going through the chaos of an RTO office.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed