Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2021, 19:03   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: July 2021 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

The numbers the Innova (6000+) rakes in a good month are astonishing! New competitors like Safari, Hector Plus, Alcazar have all come to take it’s pie. But the Innova is holding it’s ground like no one’s business, absolutely unfazed.

I just remembered a debate in a Creta Owners group, where a person was telling me how the Alcazar is a much better product than the Innova and the Alcazar’s sales figures will always be more than the Innova’s, no matter what

Just shows, when you have created a product on the backbone of a even more solid product like the Qualis and Innova, then people are always willing to pay a premium for it! Even if 1/3rd of the buyers are cab operators it just cements the reputation.

And it is this one car that is keeping Toyota alive today in the Indian market, otherwise they would have long back winded up their business in India.

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 10th August 2021 at 19:04.
CEF_Beasts is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th August 2021, 19:15   #17
Senior - BHPian

I don't think the Alto has really lost sales. We should take Alto and S-presso sales together, then the number is 19k. S-Preso is Alto in a different avatar. If I were to replace my Alto with another Alto, I will most probably choose the S-Presso, just for the wheel size.
Gansan is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 10th August 2021, 19:18   #18
BHPian

The higher sales of Skoda Superb than the Octavia, despite Octavia being the newer model, clearly reiterates that the Octavia is simply overpriced for what it offers.
Though it may be because of the great discounts that are being offered on the Superb.
axe_deo is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 10th August 2021, 19:25   #19
Senior - BHPian

Some observations -

Ertiga is at number 3 if we add Ertiga + XL6, together Maruti sold 17500 + which is phenomenal.
Fortuner is still The King of real SUV space. 40 Lakhs is the price and still people buying it. Endeavor is also not far behind with 1K + numbers.
Tata must be really happy by Harrier + Safari numbers. 4k+ is really good number in that price bracket.
Maruti has 8 cars selling 10K + and 8 in top 10, just amazing considering so much competition we have. Once Celerio is out, I guess numbers will increase only.
Sedans is thing of past, only Honda City is selling in decent numbers.
Datsun should pack up now, people have clearly rejected them.
Nissan got some oxygen by Magnite, not sure how much company and dealers will survive with only 1 car selling.
Hyundai and Kia are boss in mid segment SUV space.
After so much hype, Kushaq numbers are very disappointing. Can't even reach 2K mark.

Overall good month for Automobile companies. Good time coming back.
aniketi is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2021, 19:25   #20
BHPian

Happy to see the Indian brands making a splash. TATA and Nexon in particular are doing just amazing. Good to see the XUV300 moving past the 6K mark. Deserves more nos. for all the features it comes loaded with.
Raghu M is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 10th August 2021, 23:21   #21
BHPian

The top 3 spots are taken for foreseeable future and I think Kia will occupy the 4th Spot. The main competition is going for the 5th spot between Mahindra, Honda, Renault and Toyota. It will be interesting to see which of these companies comes out on top.
Old 10th August 2021, 23:36   #22
BHPian

May be this is off-topic, but just wanted to share how SUV's are ruling the Indian market in just matter of 8 years.
Back in 2012, SUV market share was just 7% and now in 2021 SUV share is 35%. I will not be surprised if SUV share touches the Hatch in coming years.
I think sedans will be put to "rest in peace" in coming days or manufacturers who were surviving with only sedan (Honda) will now forced to come up with SUV cars.
Attached Thumbnails
July 2021 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-body_style.jpg  

July 2021 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-bodytrend.jpg  

GRAND23 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 11th August 2021, 10:17   #23
BHPian

While counting number of vehicles registered (which I understand is how these reports are created) maybe a good way to measure month-on-month or year-on-year growth for a given model or category of vehicles, how does it make sense to compare manufacturers or categories by units they sold?

For example, Hyundai dealers may have registered less than half the units Maruti did, but unless we take into account the segment mix, is this a sensible comparison?

Comparing units done by Creta and Brezza is going to tell the obvious - that there is a volume pyramid. The more sensible comparison, if we indeed need to compare, is how much money they make against each other. ie, respective brand values.

Similarly, if we have to compare manufacturers or segments, is the registered IDV not a more sensible metric? Ultimately comparing OEMs and categories makes little sense to me (they appeal to reasonably watertight customer segments), unless we compare the revenue and profitability.
Old 11th August 2021, 10:26   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saikarthik View Post
Maruti Suzuki: A lone king in the number game
- WagonR has toppled previous best sellers, I don't get why people prefer this vehicle more..
Few reasons I can comprehend from what we observe around us -
1. Excellent city commute, CNG especially is a pocket friendly option when petrol prices are upwards of 100/- a litre. I get around 160-170 kms on a full CNG gas tank, costing me around 370-380/-. That translates to running costs of 2.5/- a km. Who wont do the maths here !
2. Further data says 80% of WagonR sales are from CNG+Petrol option. With Covid hovering on us since more than a year and offices opening up, many would want a cheaper/personal alternative to public transport.
3. Analysis of buyer profile shows 60% buyers come and pick up the WagonR as their favourite 2nd car. (My family did this too - 2 WagonRs added between 2 families within 4 months. When we have a Ciaz and an Ertiga available).
4. Cabbies prefer this as it's a no non-sense, proven and a reliable option. Fill it, take it and forget it. Simple!
5. Rural/Semi-urban/Tier-2,3 cities opt for a WagonR as a good family transport vehicle over Alto. By spending +2Lakhs, you get a far more dependable, spacious and a reliable car!

These are some comprehensions from studying the market/speaking to friends working in the industry and a sampling of the purchase made within my own social circle!

Regards,
Jigar Shah

Last edited by jigar1791@gmail : 11th August 2021 at 10:50.
jigar1791@gmail is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 11th August 2021, 10:56   #25
BHPian

While some members here are congratulating MS and are analysing their success, I on the other hand feel MS should be extremely worried. As a company their market share has come down considerably from above 50 to around 45. Secondly their main selling models are in the lower price bracket, where the margins are low. No expertise or brand recognition in the premium SUV or higher price brackets. Slowly they are being relegated to a budget car manufacturer in the minds of the consumer. (They were always budget car manufacturer, but they had a premium image in the minds of Indian Junta.) No amount of flogging the premium Nexa brand will get their premiumness back. And slowly this shift will hurt them as even today across India cars are a prestige symbol. My own apartment, I have not seen MS cars being added recently. I see Harriers, safari, Nexons(one ev too ), kia and creta, but no MS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshMachine View Post
Four paired trends stand out in their respective hotly contested segments:-
* Creta + Alcazar sell almost 3-3.5 times that of Harrier + Safari combo
t
As a Harrier owner, I do not like this comparison at all. Harrier is a full size bigger than creta in space, power, stance and road presence. No comparison here. Only commonality is both are 5 seaters.
Raghuwire is online now   (22) Thanks
Old 11th August 2021, 14:53   #26
Senior - BHPian

Celerio sold just 2 units in July. So the new one is just around the corner.
The current one has neutral looks - I personally like it's looks. Spy pics of the new one aren't really exciting - would be glad to be proven wrong.
supremeBaleno is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2021, 16:24   #27
Senior - BHPian

Skoda is a case study. Superb is eating into Octavia and beating it in volume.
Like GTO says, if you don't cannibalize someone else will do it for you, so it's not that they will be complaining but at what point would they realize Octavia is just not as much car as Superb for almost the same price?

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
The current one has neutral looks - I personally like it's looks. Spy pics of the new one aren't really exciting - would be glad to be proven wrong.
Yes. From having its own identity it's now just a wannabe, poor man's Swift. Leave it to Maruti to fix what's not broken. Not long ago they screwed up the S-cross facelift which wasn't a looker in the first place.

Last edited by amol4184 : 11th August 2021 at 16:28.
amol4184 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2021, 17:24   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghuwire View Post
While some members here are congratulating MS and are analysing their success, I on the other hand feel MS should be extremely worried.
They are worried so they are getting new models. New Celerio just around corner, new Vitara Brezza in the making, new Alto also getting ready along with few updates on current running models. So you will see they are near 50% mark again very soon.

Apart from Maruti, Tata, Hyundai-Kia every other manufacturer should be worried actually. Others are clearly struggling and mainly banking on 1 or 2 models only. They need to get new models soon else they will go further down.
aniketi is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2021, 17:45   #29
BHPian

Ertiga + XL6 did ~17,600 units, taking it to number 3 position, just short of Swift. Sensational for an MPV.

Also goes on to show how the MPV has been equally accepted by families and cabbies alike, a rarity except Innova. CNG option has definitely helped though.
Old 11th August 2021, 18:02   #30
BHPian

Ecosport

Quite disappointing to see only 1600 odd dispatches in July, though on expected lines with questions on Ford’s future plans in India, DFP issues in Diesel and facelift around the corner.

On positive side, this also means delivery times are shorter now. I myself had booked Petrol AT in July and quoted delivery was minimum 120 days. All the above negatives lead to number of cancellations and I have been allotted ES dispatched in July.

Probably last chance to own a Ford in India if one has to believe all the rumors going around.
gloriole is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed