Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2021, 18:20   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: July 2021 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Finer analysis of the top two manufacturer's sales figures for July.

Maruti Suzuki:

July 2021 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-m1.jpg

- Two models that were not in business against LY July are CELERIO, which is awaiting its new version in Q3 and Gypsy, which was discontinued.

- Apart from the above 2, 12 models from Maruti Suzuki in production and dispatch for the month of July 2021

- The top 5 models, contribute to about 60% of the total sales of MSIL. the MPV/MUV- Ertiga continued to win hearts and was the 4th highest selling PV of MSIL. Ertiga contributed about 10.5% of the total volumes for July'21. It stood at 13,434 units of dispatch.

- Models which de-grew in terms of their contribution to the total MSIL volumes, percentage-wise were: Baleno, Alto, Dzire, EECO & Ciaz.

-Models which increased their contribution in MSIL's total volume were: Wagon R, Swift, Ertiga, Brezza, Espresso, xl6, and S-Cross

-The SUV offerings were lead by Brezza, which touched the 10k+ mark. The compact SUV Spresso clocked 6,818 units which grew by about 3k+ units. and XL6 and S-Cross contributed 4,190 and 1,972 units. This helped Maruti retain its dominance in the SUV segment

Hyundai:

July 2021 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-m2.jpg

- Creta, i10, Venue & i20 contribute more than 77% of Hyundai's Sales in July'21

-Models like: Xcent/Aura increased their volume and contribution to the total numbers. And the new Launch Alcazar sold about 3001 units, which contributed to about 6.25% of the total sales of Hyundai India.

-With the advent of the new model dispatches, the contribution from i20/Venue/i10 and Creta to the total volume of Hyundai has decreased

-Three Models registered degrowth: Verna, Kona & Elantra.

-Creta touched the 13k dispatch figures with a growth of about 1451 units. i10 was almost close to the 10k mark and reached a dispatch volume of 9,379 units with a growth of 1011 units. The venue had the second-highest, growth with a volume of 8,185 units, it grew by 1451 units.

- Santro should be worrisome for Hyundai, as it fall way short of the intended numbers.

Link
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2021, 10:24   #32
Senior - BHPian

Numbers put up by the Endeavour are impressive, considering-

1) Current model is on it's last legs
2) The incessant Ford's India exit rumours
Old 12th August 2021, 10:26   #33
BHPian

Audi sold just 1 car in July?
What does the high sales in C2/B2 compared to other segments indicate? Are the B1/A buyers reeling from the effect of COVID or has the buying power in India risen to the level where people are saying "Creta/C2 or nothing". Creta is not a cheap car by any measure.
Old 12th August 2021, 10:53   #34
BHPian

Good to see the Nexon in the top 10, also appreciate TATA for maintaining the momentum for the last few months. The YoY and MoM are consistent with TATA.

And kudos to Nissan-Renault for the massive YoY improvement and comeback. But what's their plan with the Datsun brand? Come on, crack the lower most car market with a Datsun product too, don't discontinue the brand.
kamilharis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2021, 11:29   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRAND23 View Post
May be this is off-topic, but just wanted to share how SUV's are ruling the Indian market in just matter of 8 years.
Back in 2012, SUV market share was just 7% and now in 2021 SUV share is 35%. I will not be surprised if SUV share touches the Hatch in coming years.
I think sedans will be put to "rest in peace" in coming days or manufacturers who were surviving with only sedan (Honda) will now forced to come up with SUV cars.
If you look at SUVs SUVs/Crossovers that include the likes of S-Presso, Kwid, Ignis (which IMHO are not strictly hatches) into this bracket, they have already crossed the hatch market share of the total this year
Old 12th August 2021, 12:02   #36
Senior - BHPian

Tata has 10% market share!! Its a very tough market - Take a bow!!!
The Altroz and Tigor EVs should help them further too!

If they can take their quality a notch (or two) higher, they can give Hyundai a scare!
Equus is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 12th August 2021, 12:35   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equus View Post
Tata has 10% market share!! Its a very tough market - Take a bow!!!
The Altroz and Tigor EVs should help them further too!

If they can take their quality a notch (or two) higher, they can give Hyundai a scare!
For Tata to give a push to Hyundai, they must drastically improve the Sales and Service experience. Currently I am in market for CSUV and wanted to check Nexon as well. However, the experience I had at Tata Showroom and with SA was nothing short of horrible. I still wonder that they strictly observe lunch time in showrooms and no sales person was available to attend the a prospective customer. When available he neither had complete information of the product nor he was ready to arrange TD. Only question he asked was "when are you going to book?" and same was repeated on every weekly call by him for next 3 times. Each time I requested him for TD and he always forgot, lastly he had answer that, they are full with orders and hence forgot to check for TD.

And I had more or less sale experience with Tata when I was in market for hatchback and sedan in 2008 & 2015 respectively. Nothing seems to have changed in terms of showroom experience and sales across dealers in Pune at least.
gloriole is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2021, 13:06   #38
BHPian

For me and may others its not a surprise that Maruti's market share is constantly falling from around 55% to 45% in last 1 year or so. Of course its still on top, however customer base is gradually shifting towards safer and modern flip-flop cars like Hyundai, Kia and not to forget Tata's and Mahindra's.

For the last 2 decades, i have been sticking to Maruti brand, however now i personally don't feel the spark in it. Poor AMT's, engines which doesn't have the WOW effect and safety ratings. Good luck Maruti
Ashdel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2021, 13:20   #39
BHPian

Wow Tata Motors!!
  • Tata's volume is now close to 2/3rd of Hyundai's volume
  • Another 18k cars, and Tata will catch up with Hyundai
  • Tata Motors sell more cars than Hyundai in 2 of the hottest segments - premium hatch and compact SUV
  • The Harrier / Safari twins comfortably outsells the Hector twins

What a turn around Tata!
Mechanto is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2021, 13:35   #40
BHPian

Is it a final hurrah for the Yaris? Or is a face lift incoming?
Old 12th August 2021, 13:40   #41
BHPian

Not at all surprising. C2 segment has the highest sales numbers yet again. This C2 segment alone contributed to approx 31% of the overall volume of sales for July 2021. It also reflects the customer mindset - they are ready to buy a good product in this segment, even it is overpriced (for example, Creta).

Undoubtedly, this segment is dominated by Hyundai. Definitely this will be a good case study for struggling companies to rework on their product portfolio.
ashking101 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2021, 13:48   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equus View Post
I agree, but quality is not the only thing. While there are still rough edges in terms of quality, Tata has come a long way in terms of fit and finish from where they were a few years ago. I have seen some of the recent cars and they are pretty much on par with competition including Hyundai, provided there are no QC issues, which till date continue to be a major weakness (I remember seeing an XMA variant which was spelt XWA).

Apart from inconsistent QC processes, where Tata majorly lack is in the right product mix, poor showroom experience and a lack of consistency in service experience.

Some examples of gaps in the product portfolio:

1. Altroz was launched with an anaemic petrol carried over from the Tiago - why did they not use the Nexon's TC petrol engine when it was already there in the market? (Turbo petrol has been launched recently but this was an opportunity missed)
2. No AT at launch, and if there is one, it is an AMT (barring Harrier-Safari twins). A friend is looking for a non AMT car below 15 lakhs so all Tata cars are out automatically
3. Harrier/Safari till date doesn't have a petrol version.

Plus while I have found service in Calcutta to be superb across all three TASCs I use (Dulichand, TC Motors and KB Motors), I understand from other posts in the forum that service excellence is not consistent across all ASCs even in the same city. Plus a recent showroom experience with Lexus Motors left a lot to be desired as the SA was casual, uninterested and did not know his stuff.

So there are a lot of things to improve. Tata also needs to ramp up its service network, now that the sales charts are on fire.

I am sure that Tata will overtake Hyundai and challenge MS' dominance if they address these issues while at the same time sticking to their strengths, i.e. excellent build quality, pliant ride quality, safety, reliability and low cost of ownership.
Neversaygbye is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th August 2021, 14:43   #43
BHPian

I do not know if I am reading too much in to the sales figures, but if one notices the trends for last one year, I have the below observations :

1. Maruti - I am sure, as much as some of the members and I are noticing how MS has not yet made it's name in the price bracket above the Brezza, they would be keeping an eye on it too. I have a feeling it is going to be very difficult for them to hold on to 50% market share, or it will come at the cost of higher end of the market going to Hyundai, Kia and Tata. Their robust dealership network and after sales will continue to drive the numbers, but it has serious competition in hand. It could also be possible, it is reserving all its efforts for the EV wave in the next ten years and wants to be the leader there.

2. Hyundai has a very able rival in Tata now. The segment where it rules is getting chipped away by Tata slowly. Venue, i20 both have ceded some ground to Nexon and the Altroz. Over time some of their cars have gotten expensive and Tata has gained the most from it. Creta has been a major winner for them, but for how long, we do not know. The Santro does not seem to be going anywhere, and the new Casper looks like the replacement they are hoping for. i20 needs price correction if it really wants to compete with Baleno and Altroz.

3. Kia's honeymoon period seems to be ending and it has run to after sales issues. Realistically, it will need many more cars in the market to make a serious dent. Just the Seltos and Sonet cannot beyond a point give them high numbers once the initial hype dies down. Some of the long term sales will come at the cost of cannibalising Hyundai.

4. Tata has managed a fantastic surge. It is commendable the kind of cars they have managed to put on the road. Almost every Tata car is a looker and one can see why people are so attracted to them. It is now time for them to address their showroom experience, and giving a fuss free ownership. The pre / after sales experience is nowhere close to MS and the Korean twins. If they manage their brand well, it has all it takes to give a serious run for money to MS and Hyundai. It is all about fine tuning from here on. Let us hope, it does well in the long run.

5. Ford might be staring at the beginning of it's end in the Indian market if it does not press the emergency button now. It's reputation and confidence in the buyer's mind has suffered a serious meltdown. I fear it is too little too late and along with Honda their days are numbered.

6. Honda might not be in such dire situation as Ford, but it is not doing much to save itself either. It baffles me, why Honda does not launch most of its good cars in India. Neither it is doing much in the mass market segment or the premium end of the spectrum. During my school / college days in early 2000's there was a certain class and status attached to owning a Honda City / Civic. I work with Japanese / Korean companies and this trend is seen across many industries. I find the Koreans far more aggressive, ready to compete with China and protect its turf. Japan is caught in a time warp and tends to be rigid. By the time they react and bring changes, it is already too late.

7. VW / Skoda - They can never compete with the top 4 in our market, but it has enough potential to have it's own niche and operate at that level. They seem to be getting their act right and if it persists well, it can thrive. Kushaq, Taigun might just revive some hype for the VW Group.

8. Mahindra is in auto pilot mode and has some timeless SUV's in its line up. It might be content with it's SUV range and I feel it should focus on it and stick to what it does best.

9. Toyota looks content with Innova and Fortuner. I wonder if it it has any desire to really compete with the big players. Rebadging MS cars might give them little more sales but it will never be substantial enough to worry any of the top 5.

10. Renault / Nissan seems to have found some traction with the Kiger and Magnite. It might be selling in limited numbers, but it seems to have taken away potential Ecosport buyers.

11. MG looks poised to make a mark in the Indian market with their future line up. I hope unlike the mobile phone market, the automobile sector puts up a good fight and limits the inroads China can make into the Indian market. Thankfully, we have good enough Indian brands, which will always enjoy more loyalty.

11. EVs - Nexon EV seems to be a surprise hit on Bangalore roads, I have been noticing quite a few in last couple of months. EV's look set to corner 20-30% of mass market in the big cities in the coming decade. I feel it is a matter of the time, all the big players bring their hatches in EV form.
ZB86 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2021, 15:48   #44

Mod Note : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further. Request to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 13th August 2021 at 11:39.
Anis Ahmed is offline   Received Infraction
Old 12th August 2021, 16:39   #45
Senior - BHPian

Are we going to see a resurgence of Honda? There is a good chance.
The HRV or Vezel or whatever its called is going to be a good competitor if it has right engines and pricing. Shape/Size/etc seems just right.
An Amaze based CSUV can also give a good option to potential buyers as long as they dont repeat the BRV story.
City Hybrid with 1kwh battery shouldnt increase the prices by much (1L or so) should help its sales.
Given the pricing power that Octavia has dared, it would'nt be a bad idea to relaunch 2021 Civic with the 1.5L Turbo.
Overall, I am positive for Honda - they should have realised what works here!

Last edited by Equus : 12th August 2021 at 16:42.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks