Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2007, 18:37   #526
Senior - BHPian

Well M&M and Renauls seem to have very few friends on the Forumand a lot seems to be the result of the Logan pricing.

However going by the sales figures they seem to be doing pretty well considering the fact that the car has been launched in not more than 15-20 cities and is doing upwards of 2500 units a month. M&M would be folowing th skimming strategy for now and as time passes they may tinker with the pricing/ features of the Logan ( as they have done by launching intermediate variants). With an installed capacity of 50000 P.A. they may be selling all they can make at present.

Moreover, the members of th Forum are not exactly the average Jo Public but enthusiasts. The rave reception to the SX4 , the No of people who own Safari Dicor, the popularity of Fiat is a sure pointer in theat direction.
Old 12th October 2007, 23:53   #527
Senior - BHPian

At first when I saw this ad, my reaction was . But this happens with everyone all the time. So the Logan I bought at an ex.showroom price of 4.77L is now available at 4.21L . And the fully loaded 1.4GLX (A/C + P/S + P/W + C/L) is for 4.45L.

The newspaper ad came in this Thursday's HT CITY. It also mentioned prices of some other cars.

Logan 1.4 GLE - 4.21
Logan 1.4 GLX - 4.45
Swift Vxi - 4.28
Getz 1.3 GLS - 4.89
Esteem Vxi - 5.09
Accent GLE - 4.99
Ikon Flair - 4.77

(All ex-showroom prices, Delhi)
Old 13th October 2007, 00:13   #528
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajneeesh View Post
With an installed capacity of 50000 P.A. they may be selling all they can make at present.
May be!

May be not, cause there are discounts upto 25000 offered. that too, flat discount and not accesories.
Old 13th October 2007, 01:42   #529
Senior - BHPian

Is there a discount on the diesel too? Diesel must be selling pretty well for them. With 50K discount, it really starts to look better than an Indigo.
Old 13th October 2007, 12:07   #530
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
At first when I saw this ad, my reaction was . But this happens with everyone all the time. So the Logan I bought at an ex.showroom price of 4.77L is now available at 4.21L . And the fully loaded 1.4GLX (A/C + P/S + P/W + C/L) is for 4.45L.
Well, Logan sales are steadily slipping since the past 3 months. They just had to cut prices and introduce newer variants. For e.g. launching the car without a mid-equipped diesel variant was silly.

If their installed capacity is 50,000 cars, they are running at about half that right now.
Old 13th October 2007, 15:59   #531
BANNED

dunno bot the prices but if this helps, took delivery of a white 1.4glx on road mumbai reg and indivisual for rs. 5.5laks..... with a 30k disocunt and free floor mats lol. plus 5k for painting the rear view mirrors door handles and protector stripe on doors.
jesal is offline   Received Infraction
Old 13th October 2007, 17:55   #532
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesal View Post
dunno bot the prices but if this helps, took delivery of a white 1.4glx on road mumbai reg and indivisual for rs. 5.5laks..... with a 30k disocunt and free floor mats lol. plus 5k for painting the rear view mirrors door handles and protector stripe on doors.
5.5L is including discounts?
Old 13th October 2007, 18:03   #533
Senior - BHPian

At this point I would recomend that Mahindra Renault go all out and attack the taxi segment. Indroduce CNG and LPG versions of the petrol 1.4 and start working on some styling upgrades for the private buyer.

If they are struggling to fight with the 5 year old Indigo, what will happen when the all new one comes out.

Last edited by Mpower : 13th October 2007 at 18:04.
Old 13th October 2007, 21:00   #534
Senior - BHPian

The Indigo family outsold the Logan in September. hat must be giving a lot of sleepless nights to Mahindra Logan staffers. If they do not do something drastic soon,the new Indigo nex year may just blow them away.
Old 13th October 2007, 21:46   #535
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
5.5L is including discounts?
yes. top end goes for 7.5 yikes now thats scary. 50k less from my dream sx4 zxi
Old 13th October 2007, 22:22   #536
Senior - BHPian

Where the Indigo is ahead of the Logan is VFM, the top of the line Indigo comes with such amazing goodies. Also the base Indigo diesel is cheaper then the Logoff.
Old 14th October 2007, 17:04   #537
BHPian

Hey guys i am sorry if a few of my points are repeated but read 10 pages and after that lost the patience to read the whole thread .

What I felt about the Logan launch:
Renault could have gone the cheap route and launched it as a cheaper car probably. But i think here it would not do much good to their image which is of extreme importance when they are trying to establish themselves in an extremely important market. They would be tagged a cheap car manufacturer.
The route they have gone now is to try and position it as a more expensive car and sell it on practicality. In fact I think India is one of the first places to get a diesel logan(if not the first). And in whatever pics I have seen, I first saw beige(supposedly upmarket!) interiors on the Indian Logan - of course I would like fellow bhpians to reconfirm these for me if they have any info. The strategy however has backfired as the duo have gone overboard with pricing.

I still don't have a problem with the Logan. It's an Ok car, no bells and whistles. But they need to get the pricing right. That was the only thing i was dissapointed about. Get it in Indigo territory. Prior to the Logan being launched, I felt the cars in that segment were not too desirable. If I were to buy a new car in the segment, I would not buy an Esteem - pathetically bored of it, I doubt the Indigo on quality and the flair is underpowered. I felt the Logan would have given a decent compromise between all these shortcomings. Power is not great, but it sure does have space and a comfy suspension. Now if only these guys were more receptive to customer concerns.
Old 15th October 2007, 10:54   #538
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
At this point I would recomend that Mahindra Renault go all out and attack the taxi segment.
Looks like this is what is happening. Here is a Logan taxi i spotted in Bangalore. To me it looked to be the top-end version, but i may be wrong.

Old 28th November 2007, 19:35   #539
Senior - BHPian

I am not sure how many here have actually driven Logan before commenting on it.

After going through reports of the car here on T-BHP, I was very very apprehensive when my friend decided to buy Logan. In fact, I kind of discouraged him (I didn't like and still don't like boxy looks and cheap quality plastics). Since he was hell bent on buying it, I suggested 1.6L variant instead of 1.4L. He obliged. (top end model, on road Pune price: 5.7L)

I recently drove the car (not ripped) and I was pleasantly surprised. It is definitely not a bad car for that price. Here are some of my observations:
  • The interior is not as good as SX4 or City or Fiesta or Aveo, but... It is much cheaper than these cars, and it is not inferior to Indigo with which it competes.
  • It doesn't have neck snapping acceleration, but not a slouch either.
  • The engine is silent when driven sanely. Despite of whatever I had read, I found that NVH levels are quite good. At least at low RPMs the refinement was very good. Didn't get a chance to rip it past 90kmph, but it was all good till then.
  • Seating position and space is excellent. The gear shift is much better than few other cars I have driven and infinitely better than Indigo which I have driven.
  • Handling is another good aspect. There was not much body roll and suspension is good balance between ride and handling. I was tempted ti compare it with Verna Test Drive. While Verna had soft suspension giving good ride, it was very unsure of handling. Logan fared better.
  • It provides few nice goodies on console such as current FE, distance to empty, digital tacho and some more (I don't remember them all).
Overall, I'll say that it is a good car in that price band. I wouldn't discard it based on hearsay and what I read in others' reviews.
Old 29th November 2007, 07:20   #540
rippergeo

The problem with the logan is that They've given it the cheap car tag which puts off the status conscious C segment buyers. to make things worse, its not cheap, even though its called a cheap car.

i test drove the diesel, It rides well, handles well, accelerates and stops well. and peteing it would give most people the extra power if they wanted it.

But its not VFM at 7 lakhs plus OTR for the top end version

So i went for the verna CRDI which is more expensive, but, atleast, it doesnt look cheap.

Most Viewed