Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2007, 13:41   #91
Senior - BHPian

Saw the Logan on the streets for the 1st time yesterday evening, in some kind of white color. Was behind it and saw only the rear. Did not feel like having a look from the front or any other angle, after seeing the rear. The rear sucks - looks like something from many decades ago.
No wonder it did not do well - looks matter a lot here.

Offtopic :
Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative
You can position a car as a luxury car, but may still sell it way cheaper than the competition.
Would appreciate an example from real life.
IMO, a product positioned as luxurious cannot afford to be seen as cheap.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 16th May 2007 at 13:45.
Old 16th May 2007, 13:45   #92
BHPian

The rear of Logan reminds me of the ancient 3-wheeled car "Badal".
Old 16th May 2007, 13:47   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
umm.. SX4 ZXi maybe? Not luxurious interiors, but definitly luxurious goodies like Auto-A/c, 16 inch wheels, Climate control etc. missing in the competetion. Still cheaper.

Last edited by DCEite : 16th May 2007 at 13:48.
Old 16th May 2007, 13:58   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Offtopic :
I never alluded to 'seen as cheap'. I talked about it being priced way cheaper than the competition.

You wanted a real life e.g. eh? What is the comparative price between a Lexus and a Merc/BMW?
Old 16th May 2007, 13:59   #95
BHPian

Ok Logan is wrongly priced!.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
The Bolero was another disaster on the inside...................... And my current favourite SUV, the Tata Safari Dicor

OT:

Kindly explain what disaster Bolero did to you.

Well, I see more Boleros ( I drive one) than Tata Safari. You really canot compare ~5Lakh vehicle with ~12L one. Do you?.
Old 16th May 2007, 14:03   #96
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
hmmm... actually SX4 could probably be given as an example provided it really catches on with the positioning of a Luxury car. Cost wise it really trumps the competition. However its early days.

However its theoritically possible if you see the general drift in this country. Mercs, when initially launched, were supposedly going to sell in huge numbers in its petrol avatar. Afterall diesel as a fuel had all the wrong connotations. So it was a logical conclusion that the prospective buyers in those days (probably owned a few refineries himself) who go for the holy merc will not even bother about the cheaper fuel. So they were stunned when they found that instead of the popular perception coming true the buyers of these super luxury cars (shelling out super premium prices) were actually buying the diesel version by the hoardes. Apparently even the luxury car buyers think about pricing, running costs etc...

So if you can position it right maybe even a luxury car can sell at a bargain price. Question is can you provide all those exacting standards at that price point?
Old 16th May 2007, 14:07   #97
NIP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
Hmmm.... so in other words its again something that you love to say without any valid reason. You were definitely not talking about perception to begin with. You said people overlook its cheap parts and build quality. Thats a straight, affirmative statement.

Anyway... I do not want to hijack this thread. But I would say do not make statements that you can not justify. Saying you do not want to do any "silly comparo" only makes you look silly. Either you should have something to substantiate or else you should desist from making sweeping statements. Period.
i think you missed the bus here. please go thru my earlier posts and you'll know what i mean. and silliness IS trying to tell someone to compare two cars. i dont need to do it...just because you asked for it ! maybe whats cheap parts to me are luxury to you, or vice versa...its subjective. lets leave it at that...
Old 16th May 2007, 14:11   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You wanted a real life e.g. eh? What is the comparative price between a Lexus and a Merc/BMW?
How about an example from the Indian context ? I am not much into cars sold outside India, especially their pricing.
Old 16th May 2007, 14:28   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How about an example from the Indian context ? I am not much into cars sold outside India, especially their pricing.
What about the Indigo XL? SX4? Plus Zappo has given a brilliant example of Mercedes.

Regarding foreign cars ....

Lexus
Mercedes
Old 16th May 2007, 14:37   #100
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
Indians are not fools to buy a car just because it has interior space as much as a Corolla and quality like an 800.
Very well expressed! BUSA.
Old 16th May 2007, 14:47   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What about the Indigo XL? SX4? Plus Zappo has given a brilliant example of Mercedes.
The Indigo and SX4 are luxury cars ? Hmmm. I do agree that the SX4 is more luxuriously appointed than the competition and sells at a lower price than them. But at 7-8 lacs, is it really what we have as a luxury car in a market that stretches till 5 crores ? When I mentioned luxury, I was thinking MB and above. And my point was that these cars are priced much higher than their comparable competition (not cheaper like you mentioned).

Zappo mentioned about MB owners fuel preference - going for a car running on cheaper fuel. But we were discussing product positioning / pricing by sellers, not buyers. And anyway, the diesel Benz is priced same as or more than the petrol one, if I am right. Its only the fuel that is available cheap, not the car.
Old 16th May 2007, 14:56   #102
Senior - BHPian

According to SIAM figures, M&M produced around 614 Logan in March2007 and 852 in April 2007. However, it has not reported any sales for these 2 months (Logan launched in Apr. 07). Perhaps sales will be reported from May 2007 onwards. By the way, Spark sold 804 in April 2007.
Old 16th May 2007, 14:59   #103
Senior - BHPian

I feel a lot depends on the Car Maker's Brand image too!

If Maruti / Honda / Toyota launches a Car, however good or bad it maybe, there is lot of curiosity in the air and quite many buy the cars just because of their good brand image.

On the other hand, Car makers like Fiat, M&M, Tata to some extent, no matter how good their cars, because of their poor brand image, people tend to shy away from their cars.

Only a Car enthusiast may not worry about the brand image & instead study the pros & cons of the Car ALONE and then decide which one to buy! But sadly it is just a very small minority!

Last edited by finneyp : 16th May 2007 at 15:02.
Old 16th May 2007, 15:01   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Indigo and SX4 are luxury cars? .... (not cheaper like you mentioned).
'Are' and 'should be' .....

Luxury could be a matter of semantics - and I think we are getting into that territory. I don't think you are seeing my point, and I am not seeing yours. Lets stop.
Old 16th May 2007, 15:09   #105
Senior - BHPian

The last few months, all that Mahindra-Renault have been heard talking about is the Logan. Haven't they decided to make a new plant in Chennai wherein production will be dominated by the Logan? They have plans to launch the hatchback and MCV versions too. I wonder whats going through their heads now. Looks like India will be the only country where the Logan flopped.

Last edited by amit : 16th May 2007 at 15:10.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks