Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2007, 15:16   #106
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Looks like India will be the only country where the Logan flopped.
If that happens it would be a real shame ,Considering renault engineers made the logan primarily keeping in mind the Tata Indigo.
Old 16th May 2007, 16:20   #107
Senior - BHPian

What I feel is:

People buy cars even without test driving or waiting for 1 first lot reviews from manf like Maruti, Honda and Toyota. What Finney said is right coz these guys are having brand image..

Now about FIAT, Tata and M&M, ppl wait for few months go get reviews from first lot owners.. If I am not wrong Logan has been started getting delivered from 14th May only.. Wait for 2-3 more months and then we can say "Logan Failed"... Dont come to conclusions... Indica V1 was a disaster but Indica V2 is the largest selling car in its segment... so lets see... But I agree that they messed up with the Logan's pricing... Specially after everybody knows that it has a cheap car image...
Old 16th May 2007, 16:21   #108
Ram
Senior - BHPian

European means good build quality.

But by going the cheap materials, ultra-spartan, ultra-frugal design route, the European vendor is really stooping to meet Indian price expectations.

Still, that is proving to cut no ice with the Indian consumer.

Low price notwithstanding, features like airconditioning, power steering, power windows, power mirrors and remote central locking are now a hygiene factor in India -- no big deal if present, but a major calamity if missing. A plain polyurethane dashboard is now downmarket like the Maruti 800. Having a vinyl skin on the polyurethane dashboard is essential

That said, the Indian consumer would still happily continue to buy the OHC, Accent and Baleno if sold at a low-enough price. (Even Cielo/Nexia and Astra, I daresay!)

Time the Europeans read the Asian book, what?

Ram
Old 16th May 2007, 16:52   #109
Senior - BHPian

I guess Mahindra-Renault made a mistake by shouting out loud about their new upcoming Indigo beater. They made it clear that the Logan was a low cost car and raised (or should I say lowered ) people's expectations. Unfortunately, they succeeded in giving the Logan low cost specs at high prices. Thing is India already has a lot of low cost cars that the Europeans at least, will not be able to match in terms features and pricing. This should be a good warning for a couple of carmakers that are talking about launching low cost cars for India.

But, like someone said, it's still early days and both Logan and Mahindra-Renault are yet untested in India, so maybe buyers are holding out and waiting for a few months before taking the car seriously. But I seriously doubt the Logan's sales figures will increase by any significiant margin in the coming months.
Old 16th May 2007, 17:16   #110
BANNED

Its amazing that people have pronounced verdicts for a car that is supposed to have begun deliveries on Monday. And all these pages based on an article by the Economic Times and a comment by an official of a financing firm.

Way to go, Team BHP!
Old 16th May 2007, 17:18   #111
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I've said this before, and I'll say it again. Seeing how the Logan failed to price any lower, I have new found respect for Tata. And the kind of value they provide with the Indica / Indigo platform. It is certainly "more car per car".
Old 16th May 2007, 19:19   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
Its amazing that people have pronounced verdicts for a car that is supposed to have begun deliveries on Monday. And all these pages based on an article by the Economic Times and a comment by an official of a financing firm.

Way to go, Team BHP!
The delivery date is on monday. So the booking date MUST have been atleast a few days/months before that. The figures stated in the article are CLEARLY booking numbers and not delivery numbers.

Quote:
Mahindra-Renault managing director Rajesh Jejurikar told ET, “We have got phenomenal enquiries, but we can’t disclose the booking figures.”
Yeah yeah.. Especially when the booking figures can be counted by the fingers in my hand??

What I find more amazing that some T-BHPian's actually like the Logan
Old 16th May 2007, 19:40   #113
BHPian

Its too early to rule out LOGAN ... its a car in its own class when comparing we should be comparing it with the price range of same cars rahter than comparing Logan to Merc would be like comparing a jhopdi with 5 star hotel.
Old 16th May 2007, 19:42   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post

Way to go, Team BHP!
If more of forum members go around saying it might as well become true! It was indeed a dumb idea to loose talk / announce a new variant so soon after launch because that tells prospective buyers to wait for that one before booking. That is the nice intrepretation. The cynical intrepretation is that current variants don't offer much so it is an admission of failure.

Should we all be harsh on MM? My take is yes because this company not only sold scrappy vehicles all these years without any R&D other than for this Scorpio, it also kept talking about 'cheap vehcile' endlessly, making buyers more or less feel like they are out on dole..and then overpricing it!

Maruti has done a great job introducing their latest latest engine and model. That's the way to go! And then price it reasonably..

Even at its best Logan is not new.

As GTO said, Tata's look impressive now...
Old 16th May 2007, 19:52   #115
Team-BHP Support

Cant blame the members on TBHP for pronouncing their verdict on the Loagn, and after all its not based just on hearsay. Everyone agrees the car has been overpriced against its competitors and thats it unbecoming, not to forget the tall claims of being an 'indigo-beater' or a 'cheap car'.
Old 16th May 2007, 20:20   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak View Post
Deliveries for the logan havent started as yet in many places. Mumbai deliveries started on the 10th.
Only the above will decide if the Logan is a flop. But down south, here, there is a lot of interest in the Logan. How much of this turns into sales is a different equation.

Since the launch is staggered, we will have to wait for some more time. But the interiors of the car are real turnoff's. Does not create the sense of goodness to be in. The amount of "possessive" feeling created by the SX4 is completely lacking in the Logan.

I think Mahindra has jumped the gun, in its hurry to launch the car
Old 16th May 2007, 22:31   #117
Senior - BHPian

No matter what the facts may be, the Scorpio has been a roaring success for M&M and has brought in a new type of customer into their dealerships. These guys love the Scorp for its butch looks and grunty engine, dont care so much about the finish, the tight quarters or the high speed handling. M&M should use this customer base to push their Logan product.

PS: in that article, Rajesh Jejurkar the MD says that a couple of variants are in the pipeline already.
Old 16th May 2007, 22:47   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster_BHP View Post
Any one seen the add, India's first wide bodied car!! whats that suppose to mean, i felt like chewing on the cable wires when ever that add came on...
Yes, it was a big mistake, and I'm surprised that they tried to sell on dimension rather than on value (as in rated-highest-for-rear-seat-comfort-by-the europrean-mag-we-paid-off) but then it is easier to criticize than to create.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster_BHP View Post
Mahindra sucks.. and hope they will learn a valuable lesson with this...
I wouldn't be so hard on them. They're not such a bad lot. At the end of it all, the car is (much) cheaper than most others its size, even though it probably comes with more metal than the others. For some reason it reminds me of the Rover Montego/Maestro.
Old 16th May 2007, 23:02   #119
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram View Post
Low price notwithstanding, features like airconditioning, power steering, power windows, power mirrors and remote central locking are now a hygiene factor in India -- no big deal if present, but a major calamity if missing.

Very succintly put. It remains to be seen though how many more foreign manufacturers learn this desi education the hard way.
Old 16th May 2007, 23:45   #120
Senior - BHPian

The car NEEDS TO LOOK GOOD....for it to sell..somehow it looks like a 99' or earlier kinda design..Dosent look to date at all.Nothing absolutely impressive about the car.They need a clio to get back on track...and i dont see that happening soon.

Most Viewed