Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2007, 14:50   #31
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
They probably forgot that Indians do not trust first timers so easily at a premium price.
I dont think the Logans slow start has anything to do with being the first sedan from Mahindra. Its just the wrong pricing, bad positioning and stripped down nature of the car thats working against it.
Old 15th May 2007, 15:38   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvish View Post
Atleast they should have seen some taxi companies as buyers...
I read somewhere that M&M deliberately didnt offer the Logan in white colour to avoid it being identified as a "taxi" segment car. Now I guess they will have to do a rethink on that strategy, if they have not done already.
Old 15th May 2007, 15:41   #33
Team-BHP Support

The question now remains, how does Mahindra strip down an already stripped down car to sell at a lower price!

Also, any downward revisions to the price just 1 month after the launch will be like committing suicide as there is nothing worse to an existing or prospective customer than a manufacturer suddenly reducing the price of his product. No one will have any faith in the car after that.
Old 15th May 2007, 15:45   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Should we save all the rhetoric for after they actually start deliveries across India? I feel this car will do better in rural/semi-urban markets than in urban ones.
Old 15th May 2007, 15:48   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
I read somewhere that M&M deliberately didnt offer the Logan in white colour to avoid it being identified as a "taxi" segment car. Now I guess they will have to do a rethink on that strategy, if they have not done already.
I dont know why car companies don't want to be associated with taxis. In some country (Germany I think) I have heard that all taxis are E classes. Does that stop people from buying an E class as their personal car?

In India, the Innova is a prime example of a car that can happily coexist as a taxi as well as a premium personal car. The Qualis and even the NHC and Accent CRDi are examples of the same.

IMO, if taxi wallas choose a car, it MUST be reliable, other wise they wont go for it. Isnt that a plus point for the manufacturer?

Really silly of Mahindra not to offer the base model in White.
Old 15th May 2007, 15:49   #36

i think we running the gun here ,.........

deliveries started yesterday . i.e... 14'th of may . lets see what becomes of it.......
Old 15th May 2007, 15:50   #37
Team-BHP Support

True. Their main markets will be the smaller towns etc where basic transportation is required. However, I still feel it's just that little bit costlier than what it should have been.
Old 15th May 2007, 15:51   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Should we save all the rhetoric for after they actually start deliveries across India? I feel this car will do better in rural/semi-urban markets than in urban ones.
IMHO, not a chance. I dont think rural/semi-urban markets go for a 7 lac logan over a 5.5 lac Indigo.
Old 15th May 2007, 16:21   #39
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I dont know why car companies don't want to be associated with taxis. In some country (Germany I think) I have heard that all taxis are E classes. Does that stop people from buying an E class as their personal car?

In India, the Innova is a prime example of a car that can happily coexist as a taxi as well as a premium personal car. The Qualis and even the NHC and Accent CRDi are examples of the same.
Totally agreed! The Indica, Santro, Esteem, late Qualis, Innova etc. are examples of sheer successes in both; the taxi and private markets.

Quote:
IMHO, not a chance. I dont think rural/semi-urban markets go for a 7 lac logan over a 5.5 lac Indigo.
Agreed again. The rural buyers are a lot more value driven than their urban counterparts. And the Indica / Indigo have placed themselves well in this segment.
Old 15th May 2007, 16:47   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
Heard they are already planning on a newer configuration with a "different pricing"... I guess that one will be called Logan N Reboot.
i just have a feeling that mahindra could falter with the logan.the very reason for loggans birth was its anticipated low cost
Old 15th May 2007, 17:33   #41
BHPian

Cars as taxis is not about the quality of the car. I think its more associated with the image of an unruly taxi driver who does anything for mileage and road space. Atleast thats what comes into my mind.

Regarding Logan, I think the best option is to concetrate on Taxi segment. The name of M&M as a car maker, is yet to register wit the public. Maybe it would have sold more if it was just a Renault. But yes, I seems lost to find another market for Logan ! For urban, people cant digest, for rural people cant swallow!

Last edited by appuchan : 15th May 2007 at 17:35.
Old 15th May 2007, 18:24   #42
Senior - BHPian

While we dont have anything official yet in terms of figures and its still early days, what is apparent is that a lot of people here seem to WANT the Logan to fail.

And the reason is that there is a perception that we're being treated as 3rd World by Renault passing on a 3W car onto us, that too cost cutting that is so obvious that many find it insulting.

While there is very little doubt as to which world we actually belong to, the fact is that other manufacturers have treated us better and at a significantly lesser (EDIT - INCREMENTAL) cost. Even our other home-grown manufacturer has given us all options at a lower price.

Hence the disappointment, which is only understandable.

Last edited by Steeroid : 15th May 2007 at 18:40.
Old 15th May 2007, 18:30   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
And the reason is that there is a perception that we're being treated as 3rd World by Renault passing on a 3W car onto us, that too cost cutting that is so obvious that many find it insulting.
I might be nit picking, but was the final decision on pricing and specs, that of Renault or of Mahindra? Apart from the pricing, which is way above what should be charged for the car, what is wrong with the Logan?

If they had started it around 4-4.5L, would we have complained about it being a third world car etc etc?

But yes, you have hit the nail on the head wrt reasons for general disappointment with the car that is aired through out the forum and to which I subscribe too as well.
Old 15th May 2007, 18:35   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post

You're right, of course. I guess its a maturing of the Indian buyers now, considering Maruti changed a similar practice only recently from the Swift.
Old 15th May 2007, 18:52   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative View Post
If they had started it around 4-4.5L, would we have complained about it being a third world car etc etc?
I think the answer would be YES. Because:

1. Renault is not a NEW car manufacturer. If it were a Mahindra car entirely people may have been more forgiving, as they have been with Tata.

2. I've sat in Dacia Logan taxis (in Romania) and let me assure you the cost cutting in terms of equipment, specs, and even small conveniences is ridiculous - one may fault Tata for the quality of their plastics, but they havent STINGED so obviously on the appointments. These little things seem to hurt the most.

3. This car is being compared to D-Segmenters, even if only in size. This is the wrong marketing message ENTIRELY - people will come expecting D-segment appointments and find that an M800 is better equipped.

4. The below-the-line marketing in terms of opinions expressed by TV Channels, the perception built up that this is a WIDE car (which someone here mentioned was probably a deliberate photographic illusion on the ads because the car isnt really wide) and the hype built up around the Renault badge have created the image that this is something really different, while the final product is ANYTHING BUT.

5. Lets face it - the car looks bad. When the Indica came out, it looked contemporary. It still looks nice - its just too common for us to notice these days, but most foreigners seem to think its a rather nice looking car. Cant say that about the Logan, I'm afraid. It looks like something you'd want to hide.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks