Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th June 2007, 14:49   #286
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
But you would be happy when u get them. Ask anyone who has bought a new Swift petrol, and see how happy he is with all the freebies and discounts provided to him.

Floor mats and mud guards are very basic accessories which are literally taken as granted to be provided FOC by the dealer. Mine also threw in a MP3 player and car perfume for free.
Thats exactly my point, I will not change my decision just because the dealer is not giving any freebies, no matter how basic they are. Although freebies always make you happy, accepted.
Old 5th June 2007, 16:04   #287
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Thats exactly my point, I will not change my decision just because the dealer is not giving any freebies, no matter how basic they are. Although freebies always make you happy, accepted.
The point I was trying to make is the cost cutting that seems to be going on.. not about buying decisions based on freebies.

Its just maybe an indication that dealer doesnt have sufficient margin on the car to even offer the freebies that we take for granted. We are not talking about discounts etc here.
Old 5th June 2007, 19:19   #288
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Its unneccessarily getting a beating here, its as good as one can get for this price, period.
Not neccesarily.... what abt the Indigo Dicor LS?
Old 6th June 2007, 11:08   #289
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by w 12 View Post
Absolutely..and 2800 buyers voted with their cheque books in favour of Logan over the other cheaper alternatives., in May.

At the end of the day, the carbuyer makes an informed decision as to what suits his needs best.

It may not match the opinions on T bhp and IMO but thats hardly any reason to nitpick , even after knowing the sales figures.

O>T> I think the title of the thread needs to be changed pronto..Or what is the definition of "doing well" as per the originator of the thread ?
Not really. We have to wait for official figures to come in over 2-3 months.

Everyone claims big figures when the launch a car, but the market decides. To be frank I'd be quite disappointed if our market makes this vehicle a resounding success - it says very little for our buying habits.
Old 6th June 2007, 12:28   #290
Senior - BHPian

An erstwhile GM/Chevy showroom in Chennai is now a Mahindra showroom and whenever I pass it, I see lots of activity - many new Logans and Scorpios parked with quite some interested customers milling around the vehicles.

But then whether all that interest is actually translated into sales is something we will have to wait and see.
Old 6th June 2007, 12:42   #291
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
It has been a big disappointment from Mahindra's side I'm yet to see a Logan on road.
Been seeing a couple of late - man, that "Mahindra" logo on the boot is the PITS and contrasts so much with the "Renault" & the "Logan" ones on either side, what were they trying to do? It just looks like an afterthought (my opinion)....................
Old 6th June 2007, 12:49   #292

Simply Amazed

Guys,
I am following this thread for quite sometime now. I am simply amazed at the tremendous "negative energy" emanating out of "Distinguished BHP-ians" about the fate of a car that is just 1 month or so - old.
Each and every one of us knew exactly how the car looked and the engine options looong before the car was launched. Isnt it? And if I got the mood of the forums at T-BHP right, every one was gung-ho about its launch. How it would redefine this segment, good value for money et al!!
It was meant to compete with the current value king Indigo - which it very well does. Ex-showroom price for the base DICOR Indigo is 5,20,177 (mind you this model was introduced as a reactionary price to Logan- there was no LS model before Logan's launch). Ex-showroom price for the base dCI Logan is 5,47,064.. A difference of 27k for a car that is definitely better put together, a proven engine(remember there are over 5 lacs on the road worldwide already), more torque (160Nm compared to 140Nm) and a success worldwide.
Sure, it could've been better. But let that be reserved for future iterations. A statement like "Indians are no longer ready for an outdated product" or thereabouts, is certainly misplaced. How can a product be termed outdated, when it was conceived with a vision and is currently selling in n number of countries? Let us mature as a market(and infrastructure), and maturity takes time. I can site numerous examples of products launched ahead of time and biting the dust e.g. BMW Funduro. Renault is bringing in the entire range of the Logan platform. Let's wait for it. I would think that there are a lot of nouveau rich amongst us who are just too impatient to get the latest from everywhere right here right now (not necessarily bad though).
I dont think it is apt to just run down a product so soon after its launch. Let's give it some time and then pass a judgement. You can't wish away/question the decision of 3000 odd people who has booked it already within a month. It suits their requirements and let's respect them for that.
BTW, I am still not one of them .
Regards,
Abhijit
Old 6th June 2007, 17:36   #293
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Each and every one of us knew exactly how the car looked and the engine options looong before the car was launched. Isnt it? And if I got the mood of the forums at T-BHP right, every one was gung-ho about its launch. How it would redefine this segment, good value for money et al!!
Exactly! The disappointment came out after:

1. The horrendous pricing was announced.

2. We test-drove the car and experience it "for real".

Lets not compare the pricing of the Logan to the DICOR Indigo, as both (IDI and DICOR) offer 70bhp. Tata introduced the DICOR Indigo primarily for marketing purposes. Just the fact that their transmission is not ready for the potential of the DICOR attests to this fact.

Most buyers from this segment care two hoots about whether there is a common-rail under the hood. Important considerations are value, space, fuel-efficiency, looks, after-sales and acceptable power delivery. As a value proposition, the Indigo offers all of this at a much lower price.
Old 6th June 2007, 17:53   #294
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi_audhya View Post
Guys,.... .
Regards,
Abhijit
hi Abhi.

Welcome to team-BHP. Nice, initial post. I agree with you on the following points:
  1. The Logan was made with a particular vision and purpose and it has not deviated from that
  2. The car is being run down, without waiting for the true picture to evolve over time

That being said, there seems to be a disconnect between the expectations set by M&M and the reality that is the Logan on Indian roads. The main reason is the price. This is not in accordance with the overall package - at least going by initial reports. The way the Logan was hyped, everyone was expecting it to be in the range of 4.5 to 5.5 L OTR.

The dissonance between promise and reality is what is getting to everyone here. The perceived arrogance of the manufacturer (M&M for me, Renault for others) is jarring.

The people who are finally making the bookings are doing so after judging the car on their parameters. And yes, we should respect them for that. Even then, do you really think the Logan is worth the price? If Tata Motors has reacted to the Logan in the way you have stated, then I think the Logan coming in is good in the long run. I wish others will follow suit as well.

As mentioned in a previous post of mine, I think the Logan will still sell, however much we dislike it as a package here on the forum.

Edit - I think hate is too strong a word. Dislike is more like it.

Last edited by typeOnegative : 6th June 2007 at 18:05.
Old 6th June 2007, 17:58   #295
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi_audhya View Post
Guys,
I am following this thread for quite sometime now. I am simply amazed at the tremendous "negative energy" emanating out of "Distinguished BHP-ians" about the fate of a car that is just 1 month or so - old.
Your points are somewhat valid. I guess more disappointment than negative energy.

Yes the Logan has been around for a while in Europe but none of us had an opportunity to sit in it drive it and check out the fit and finish or the quality and feel of materials used. There was a lot of anticipation from the defending F1 constructors champions because the Logan sounded good on paper and was expected to re-write the rule book in terms of value similar to what TATA had done with its Indica. Moreover the Logan was always known as the 5000 Euro car and therefore the price was expected to beat the Indica if not match it. ACI editor had also driven the car in Europe and given it the thumbs up.

The more disppointing thing is that Mahinda Renault had the opportunity to redesign the Logan for its Indian launch and they made the error of making it look more outdated than the product sold overseas.The international version with its black rubbing strips on the bumper looks much better IMHO and helps reduce the visual bulk of the bland and featureless exterior. The new India grille makes it look like a Corona from the 80s. Mahindra's very own all Indian Scorpio has more visual appeal than this French masterpiece.

They haven't heard the saying that you need to throw a small fish into the water to catch the big fish. Style dosent cost money...I simply dont buy the logic that having a box angular shape will drastically reduce the cost of making the stamping dies.

Lastly, the Indigo is at the very end of its product cycle and will be replaced by the new version whereas the Logan has just been launched and will have to remain unchanged at least for 4-5 years. Just imagine how the same car will look in 2012.

Last edited by Mpower : 6th June 2007 at 18:00.
Old 6th June 2007, 18:08   #296
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Lastly, the Indigo is at the very end of its product cycle and will be replaced by the new version whereas the Logan has just been launched and will have to remain unchanged at least for 4-5 years. Just imagine how the same car will look in 2012.
Well said... and also the fact that ispite of pricing it relatively higher in a price sensitive market like our's they have skimped on the very basics of making a diesel car, like the absence of carpetting in the engine bay, proper sound deadening, some ergonomic disasters, the bumpers are paper thin (well almost) and so called cheap computer display.
Its not a value proposition, a jackpot car as mahindra renault would like to call it, its "cheap" that why its priced cheap.
Old 6th June 2007, 18:51   #297
BHPian

Guys

Why are you forgetting they have two aces up their sleeve and they can use them anytime they feel that market is not responding to the car.

1. Rememeber when the Renault guy Gohsn (sorry for the spelling, its kind of complicated name) had come here to launch it he had said "we could have done better", what he mant was pricing, so the pricing war is yet to begun.

2. They are importing the engines, and if entire Logan and Nissan range has to be built here they would soon have a engine plant in Chennai and you can imagine what it will do to the current prices.

So be ready for some action once the dust settles down.
Old 6th June 2007, 18:54   #298
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranc View Post
So be ready for some action once the dust settles down.
Very true. But what about the guys who have already bought the car?
Old 6th June 2007, 18:57   #299
Senior - BHPian

I am sure in that case TATA also has a couple of aces up its sleeve. Competition is good.
Old 6th June 2007, 19:03   #300
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
I am sure in that case TATA also has a couple of aces up its sleeve. Competition is good.
and what can they be, I think Tata is going to run out of ideas if both the price cuts I mentioned are applied on Logan. You might see them shave off close to 75k on the current price.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks