Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th June 2007, 21:33   #436
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Ashutoshb on the buy, Nice color, may be body graphics or graphics at front / back of the car should give car better effect because
thats what I did with my blue Innova, after I have put body graphics car looks shiny!

All the best,

Ravi.
Old 25th June 2007, 22:57   #437
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashutoshb View Post
I have. but since this thread is all about logan bashing.. no point arguing about its positive points...
Congrats ashutosh, yeah i agree with you, there is simply too much of bashing without any sense. How does a wiper position affect a car's sales ? is it that the wiper has to be manually operated by the driver ? its funny how some people react to something new, even if it is overpriced.
Old 25th June 2007, 23:40   #438
Senior - BHPian

ashutoshb, congrats dude. One of the best looking Logan's I will ever see.Your car is sure a head turner.
Whatever bashing it is, I respect your decision on buying the Logan.Hats off.
Quote:
its funny how some people react to something new, even if it is overpriced.
John, absolutely true.
Old 26th June 2007, 04:31   #439
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
How does a wiper position affect a car's sales ? is it that the wiper has to be manually operated by the driver ? its funny how some people react to something new, even if it is overpriced
It is not that people are reacting badly to something new. Logan is supposedly a cheap car priced at about US$6000 abroad. So, it is priced pretty high in India.

When the car is priced at Rs.5-6L OTR, it is clearly stupid on Mahindra's part to sell it with LHD wiper set. The driver is going to get a semi-circle of wiped and unwiped windshield in the front and this is a safety issue. Its going to be worse for a taller driver particularly during monsoons. If its a cheap Rs.1L car this will be understandable, but not at this level. Is Mahindra not capable of making the change even after charging a premium? They are clearly taking Indian consumers for a ride. Guess we have to be happy that they didn't the leave the meters in front of the front passenger!

As someone else pointed out earlier, the Indigo becomes far more attractive than Logan at the current price point. There is no need to sugar coat Mahindra's attitude here even if Logan were to sell in large numbers.
Old 26th June 2007, 07:47   #440
Team-BHP Support

[quote=THE-U-;479474When the car is priced at Rs.5-6L OTR, it is clearly stupid on Mahindra's part to sell it with LHD wiper set. The driver is going to get a semi-circle of wiped and unwiped windshield in the front and this is a safety issue. Its going to be worse for a taller driver particularly during monsoons.[/QUOTE]

Look carefully and you will see a cam arrangement to push the wiper into the windscreen edge. this was pioneered by Mercedes.

How come no one complains about the BMW 5, 6 and &'s that have the same arrangement ???
Old 26th June 2007, 08:10   #441
Team-BHP Support

Ajmat people are noticing the wiper only because of that cam arrangement. that centre pod is an eyesore as it protrudes out and is noticable. when people look at the pod they realise then that the wiper is LHD.

Incase of the beemers the wiper is concealed and not visible so noone really realises left or right.
Old 26th June 2007, 08:52   #442
Senior - BHPian

Seems like we all have become "LOGANISER" here! Let's wait for a day or two and we would have the first 1000 kms logged on Ashutosh's car and would know the pro's and con's of the car from a "Proud" OWNER and I am sure he's taken the decision after considering a lot of things in mind.

Ashu,

I am with you! Bring it on...Btw, I am sure the power windows can be a aftermarket fitment so could be the Fog Lamps?
Old 26th June 2007, 18:32   #443
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Look carefully and you will see a cam arrangement to push the wiper into the windscreen edge. this was pioneered by Mercedes.

How come no one complains about the BMW 5, 6 and &'s that have the same arrangement ???
Yeah, that was one over-engineered wiper from MB.

I still can't believe after charging almost double for the car, Mahindra couldn't customize it for RHD. If I recall correctly, they also left the bonnet/ hood lever on the passenger side.

I haven't followed BMWs and its criminal if they follow the same design after charging a fortune.
Old 26th June 2007, 18:53   #444
Senior - BHPian

I got to see the Logan from the front yesterday and have to admit (grudgingly though) that from the front it does look good.

Anyway, now that we have an owner in our midst, we can wait for his review, for a detailed info on the Logan.
Old 26th June 2007, 19:29   #445
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE-U- View Post

I still can't believe after charging almost double for the car, Mahindra couldn't customize it for RHD. If I recall correctly, they also left the bonnet/ hood lever on the passenger side.
The fiestas , selling at higher prices also have the same arrangement , with bonnet release and switches.
Old 26th June 2007, 19:55   #446
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by w 12 View Post
The fiestas , selling at higher prices also have the same arrangement , with bonnet release and switches.
Ha ha ha....
So much for the European and American cars....

First our fellow countrymen were made to cope up with left handed controls for wipers and headlights....and now they would need a cleaner to accompny them on every trip......

Just imagine - your car gives up in the middle of the road, you call for road side assistance and he says,
"saab, bonnet kholo aur start karo, main dekhta hoon...
....you go to the other side of the car, open the bonnet, go back to the other side get in....

......once it starts he closes the bonnet saying "ho gaya...". You happilty try to shift into the first gear, release the clutch in a bit of hurry...and car stops again..."

He says , "saab, kya hua, fir se bonnet kholo...."

Last edited by anandpadhye : 26th June 2007 at 20:00.
Old 26th June 2007, 20:01   #447
Team-BHP Support

Looked at the car on display. As a piece of value engineering - a good effort cosindering the way the doors panels are one piece moulding and the ways the switches are cobbled together to avoid wiring costs.

For a car guy - no no
For a person wanting cheap transportation - it is okay - finish is better than a tata indigo - spartan but decently finished
Old 26th June 2007, 20:06   #448
Senior - BHPian

Ajmat,have u checked out the latest Indigos' fit n finish quality??
Old 26th June 2007, 20:39   #449
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
I am sure the power windows can be a aftermarket fitment so could be the Fog Lamps?
yep, aftermarket power windows/fog lamps can be fitted. PWs are next on my list. fog lamps aren't out in the market yet.

And the wipers don't cause a problem....they do their job perfectly fine. never had any difficulty. the pod maybe an eyesore but can be ignored.

The bonnet switch is on the other side..but i can reach it even when sitting on the driver side.... could be a problem for shorter guys though.

the fit and finish levels of the logan are definitely better the the indigo. the rubber fitments are not as tacky...the quality of the switches is more or less at par.

But these are very small things you get used to in a few days. things like ride, handling, power matter in the long run...and they seem perfectly fine atleast to me.

cheers,
Ashutosh

Last edited by ashutoshb : 26th June 2007 at 20:40.
Old 26th June 2007, 20:53   #450
Senior - BHPian

Aha. So there is a realistic look at the whole picture now. The Logan will sell well - that is my gut feel. I for one, still find it ugly - sorry ashutosh. But then, I find the Swift and NHC ugly too. And as the saying goes, beauty lies within.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks