Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2022, 22:02   #151
BHPian

re: Honda City Hybrid | Unveiled on 14th April 2022

I've been keenly waiting for the launch of the Honda City hybrid for the past few months and going through Malaysian reviews extensively. While most reviewers have been positive, there are a few potential deal breakers, at least for me:
-On heavy acceleration and at higher speeds, there is discernable engine noise. And it's not the sweet engine sound of the 1.5 motor of the current petrol model. There is even noise when the car is at idle I believe if the battery is low.
-Presence of a battery vent on the side of the rear passenger seat.
-Reduced boot space (expected)
-Lack of spare wheel, at least in the Malaysian and Thai models.
Hope some of these will be rectified in the version Honda is launching in India.
Content Reactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2022, 22:29   #152
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Content Reactor View Post
-On heavy acceleration and at higher speeds, there is discernable engine noise. And it's not the sweet engine sound of the 1.5 motor of the current petrol model. There is even noise when the car is at idle I believe if the battery is low.
Basically in this car, the engine decides to revv on its own and not necessarily in sync with accelerator input. Thats based on the state of charge of battery and the power demand from driver. Hence that relation between accelerator press and engine revving is not as direct as in a conventional car. Thats something I would really take time getting used to.
Old 3rd April 2022, 02:59   #153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Basically in this car, the engine decides to revv on its own and not necessarily in sync with accelerator input. Thats based on the state of charge of battery and the power demand from driver. Hence that relation between accelerator press and engine revving is not as direct as in a conventional car. Thats something I would really take time getting used to.
I ran into this review of the car you youtube in which the reviewer talks about (and demonstrates) how the car sounds:

In short: It will get loud, but only if you push it.
Alterlife is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2022, 15:42   #154
Senior - BHPian

Honda City Hybrid unofficial bookings open

Honda is gearing up to unveil the City Hybrid in India next week, but some dealerships have already started accepting pre-bookings.

Honda City Hybrid | Unveiled on 14th April 2022-hondacityhybridrs.jpg

According to a media report, select Honda dealerships are taking bookings for the City Hybrid for an undisclosed token amount. It is said that the car will be based on the top-spec trim and could be priced around Rs 18 lakh (ex-showroom).

The City Hybrid will be powered by a 1.5-litre, 4-cylinder petrol engine that makes 97 BHP and 127 Nm. It comes paired with two electric motors. While one of them acts as an integrated starter generator (ISG), the other powers the front wheels via a fixed ratio gearbox. It makes 108 BHP and 253 Nm.

The hybrid version of the City is also expected to be offered with Honda Sensing technology, which includes driver assistance features like lane departure warning, adaptive cruise control, lane-keeping assist, auto high beam assist, emergency braking and a front collision warning system.

Source: Zigwheels

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 5th April 2022 at 15:44.
TusharK is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 5th April 2022, 16:03   #155
BHPian

Looks like honda is prepping up its game and taking it to the next level already with the introduction of the Hybrid City.

City has been one of the favourites of the families due to its plush feel and unmatched comfort in the cabin and with the petrol prices zooming out at a quick pace, its a positive step keeping in mind the sales of Honda been fluctuating for quite some time now.

But one thing which irks me is the staring gap of over 3L between the ZX CVT Petrol and the expected Hybrid variant to be launched (around 18L)

Might be stacking up some good sales because of its first mover advantage in the competition.

Regards
aamishdhingra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th April 2022, 19:02   #156
BHPian

Yes Honda has started accepting pre-bookings of the HEV City as I visited the nearest Deccan Honda showroom in Pimpri. The SA was telling that the entire team is already on training since Feb this year for the HEV which will launch mid of April.

It is going to be sportier model with blacked out details similar to the Honda City RS version in global markets. Also, I learned from the SA that the battery unit will ensure that City can be driven in 3 modes viz, EV, internal combustion and hybrid. This will ensure FE to be on a higher side ~ 20 kmpl.

The pricing would be on the higher side too, but it should undercut the current competition of Skoda Slavia 1.5 DSG unit possibly with a competent and powerful front wheel powertrain of 109bhp and 253Nm torque.

Lets hope both these cars find their respective buyers and enthusiasts, while the brands enjoy each other's success with the Virtus GT also joining in early May.

Sedans are back with a bang!! Compact SUVs beware!! Just kidding :P
joeva1706 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 6th April 2022, 13:03   #157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeva1706 View Post

It is going to be sportier model with blacked out details similar to the Honda City RS version in global markets. Also, I learned from the SA that the battery unit will ensure that City can be driven in 3 modes viz, EV, internal combustion and hybrid. This will ensure FE to be on a higher side ~ 20 kmpl.
Are you sure about the Hybrid coming in with the RS version ? My SA here in Mumbai said that they will carry forward the same colour options as the current model ! Also, is there any confirmation on the size of the battery and how many kms can it go on battery power alone ?

Regards
Dieseltuned
Old 6th April 2022, 14:48   #158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseltuned View Post
Are you sure about the Hybrid coming in with the RS version ? My SA here in Mumbai said that they will carry forward the same colour options as the current model ! Also, is there any confirmation on the size of the battery and how many kms can it go on battery power alone ?

Regards
Dieseltuned

Apologies if my statement has been misread here. I meant that the RS version was launched internationally and currently has no plans to make its arrival in India. However, the design cues will be probably used for the HeV when it launches in India next week.

The battery size though not revealed yet and SA also did not officially share the information. Based on my reading on the Malaysia version launched late last year "The battery itself will be a fairly small unit, perhaps no more than 1 or 2 kWh in density"

Regarding the driving range the article within the Malaysia market mentioned "Based on our testing, we averaged about 3.8 litres per 100 km, or 26.3 km/l in mixed driving conditions. There’s probably some room for improvement, so long term owners can make it their mission to match or even beat Honda’s claimed average of 3.6 l/100 km"

I am providing the link below which should be the case for the Indian version as well if not but expect similar specs.

Honda City Hybrid | Unveiled on 14th April 2022-honda-hev-drive-modes.jpg

Honda City Hybrid | Unveiled on 14th April 2022-immdworkingprinciple850x478.jpg

https://paultan.org/2021/10/08/honda-city-rs-review/
joeva1706 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th April 2022, 23:31   #159
BHPian

With imminent launch of the city hybrid, I am eagerly waiting to see how it gets pit against Slavia 1.5. Very different cars, very different tech and very different positioning- one is for maximising efficiency and the other is for outright performance. But at the end of the day they are two sedans with a ~20 lac OTR price tag. It will be an exciting fight.

I am out looking for a car for my dad and will decide between these two. We need a car with good performance ( not insane) that’s comfortable to drive in urban setting. Budget is what these two are being offered at. As I said eagerly waiting.

Honda might have an equipment edge with the Honda sensing on offer.
attrip2008 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2022, 07:10   #160
BHPian

I heard that this car in Malaysia does not come with a spare tyre, but comes with tyre repair kit. How good is this tyre repair kit especially for Indian conditions? Will this be enough, especially driving long distances?

Are there any other cars sold in India which come without a spare? Wondering if people have faced any serious issues due to this.
Old 7th April 2022, 08:57   #161
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaleen View Post
Are there any other cars sold in India which come without a spare? Wondering if people have faced any serious issues due to this.
Ecosport SE missed the spare completely. So that means it possible with the Honda too.

For me the more worrying part is the battery vents near the rear seats, as mentioned in a above post, last thing I want is toxins inside the cabin.
Old 7th April 2022, 09:27   #162
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by giri1.8 View Post
For me the more worrying part is the battery vents near the rear seats, as mentioned in a above post, last thing I want is toxins inside the cabin.
That’s a cooling vent. There are no fumes or exhaust involved. This kind of cooling vent is there on Toyota/Lexus hybrid cars as well.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2022, 09:39   #163
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaleen View Post
The government, of all things decided to not make spare tyre complulsory for cars/ SUVs having <8 seats. As long as it has a tyre puncture repair kit. Though the mainstream models have thankfully not caught on despite the cost savings. But, HEVs may start the trend as most have lesser boot capacity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by giri1.8 View Post
It is for sucking in air from the cabin to cool the batteries. So, no worries.
DicKy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th April 2022, 12:08   #164
BHPian

Will the hybrid come with manual transmission?
Old 7th April 2022, 12:11   #165
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeevith View Post
Will the hybrid come with manual transmission?
There is no physical transmission. It’s a direct drive through the electric motor as well as the engine through a pre set ratio. For all practical purposes, think of it as an automatic.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks